Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I agree with everything here. I was commenting on the fact you had Tu-ikolovatu going in the 3rd (not being there in the 4th because he's gone) or did you mean earlier in the 4th round?

If he's gone, I might see about Rashaad Coward later.

Sorry yeh, we pick him in the 4th.......having used an earlier pick on edge rush DE/OLB

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sorry yeh, we pick him in the 4th.......having used an earlier pick on edge rush DE/OLB

Oh, ok. I'd be ok with that. Not REAL happy because, as you also mentioned, I think it's a bit of a reach, but we do have 2 4th rounders this year. Maybe used the 2nd one on him and I'd be ok with that. :)

The best possible thing that can happen is a WR/QB run before we pick at 17. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if it does, a defensive stud (Allen/Foster/Lattimore) could fall into our lap. 

The whole situation with Scot really hurts. It does. But now that the BS trade rumors involving Kirk have been squashed, I'm slowly getting optimistic again. I get it, many of us expected more involving the DL. We have a lot of draft picks. It's not out of the question where we pick up 3 starters and 5 make significant contributions in year 1. 

I'll also say this, our offense is scary good. Just because Kirk doesn't have a LTD, doesn't mean he isn't going to keep improving, he will. He has that mindset that turns good QBs into great QBs. The 50/50 question of Doctson contributing this year is starting to look like 90/10 he will. Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Reed, Davis and a solid OL. That is an offense that, no matter how **** the defense is, will be in every game no matter the opponent.

7 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

The best possible thing that can happen is a WR/QB run before we pick at 17. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if it does, a defensive stud (Allen/Foster/Lattimore) could fall into our lap. 

The whole situation with Scot really hurts. It does. But now that the BS trade rumors involving Kirk have been squashed, I'm slowly getting optimistic again. I get it, many of us expected more involving the DL. We have a lot of draft picks. It's not out of the question where we pick up 3 starters and 5 make significant contributions in year 1. 

I'll also say this, our offense is scary good. Just because Kirk doesn't have a LTD, doesn't mean he isn't going to keep improving, he will. He has that mindset that turns good QBs into great QBs. The 50/50 question of Doctson contributing this year is starting to look like 90/10 he will. Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Reed, Davis and a solid OL. That is an offense that, no matter how **** the defense is, will be in every game no matter the opponent.

You know that that offense and a ****ty defense gets you?

9-7

8-7-1

People need to start understanding that we will do nothing until the defense becomes average.:kickcan:

Just now, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Atlanta's offense is very good and I think ours could be as good. My point is, Atlanta's defense MIGHT be average. They should have won the Super Bowl. So when you say we won't be better than 8-7-1 because of our defense, you are wrong. 

Oh, we could throw a lot of resources at our offense and get marginally better. But let me introduce you to a couple of different concepts.

Diminished Returns and only being as strong as your weakest link.

It's much easier to upgrade a bad system than it is a good system. When you upgrade something that is already good, it doesn't improve all that much. You tend to have to throw a lot more at it to get much improvement.

So, instead to trying like gangbusters to get a minimal improvement on very good offense, work on the side of the ball that has a long way to go. You can make much bigger strides with less investment.

And Atlanta lost because their Defense was not very good. Could not make one stop down the stretch.

And that great Offense got shut down by a very good Defense in the 2nd half.

The last few weeks I've been involved with a mock draft. Here is how I picked for the Skins. I would've liked to go with at least 1 more DL but it didnt work out that way.

1(17)-Haasan Reddick-ILB-Temple
2(49)-Alvin Kamara-RB-Tennessee
3(81)-Dorian Johnson-G-Pittsburgh
4(114)-Tarell Basham-OLB-Ohio
4(124)-Nathan Peterman-QB-Pittsburgh
5(154)-Vincent Taylor-DL-Oklahoma St
6(201)-Tyler Orlosky-C-West Virginia
6(209)-Carroll Phillips-OLB-Illinois
7(220)-Erik Magnuson-OT-Michigan
7(235)-Shaq Griffin-CB-UCF

17 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Think Njoku could be a beast TE, but we can't afford him.

20 yo, 4.49 40, 246#, 6'4" maaaaannnn, run block catch...hearing NYG? :(

one of the few things Al Golden got right at Miami getting Njoku out of New Jersey

Golden is now the Lions TE coach so that could be an option

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Any talk of any developmental QB's? Really not been following Redskins links, but as I'm pretty certain San Francisco will tank this year to have a high option and Cousins in 2018, might not be a bad idea to get someone in to see them up close this year. Slim pickings as it is at QB. 

Hail. 

People are projecting mid round QB's to us. Most of the time they have Peterman or Kayaa. The reasons does two: because they have similar skills set as Kirk. What the NFL means by that. Limited athletic ability, average arm, excellent medium throws, smart guy, pocket passer. Can't blame 'm for that profile. Dalton and Kirk or kinda old skool pocket QB's that excel in quick short and medium throws. 

7 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

People are projecting mid round QB's to us. Most of the time they have Peterman or Kayaa. The reasons does two: because they have similar skills set as Kirk. What the NFL means by that. Limited athletic ability, average arm, excellent medium throws, smart guy, pocket passer. Can't Blake m for that profile. Dalton and Kirk or kinda old skool pocket QB's that excel in quick short and medium throws. 

Thank you. 

It kind of scares me with Captain Clueless now running this draft that they may well only be a maximum of 2 QB'S off the board at 17. Now I personally don't think there's one QB this class first round talent worthy. But we know that never matters when it comes to the most important position on the field and with serious doubts Kirk will be here beyond this year (convinced he's going San Francisco to team up with that name who shall never be said on these boards again in 2018); I most certainly haven't ruled out them reaching for a guy to sit a year this year.

The may be tempted at 17. (Which would have Redskins heads, my own included, falling off in EPIC style these here boards.). 

Hail. 

I don't generally care much about offensive players in the draft and don't read about them much, except TE and Oline, but this year it's even more true. I don't even read posts about them.

I seriously hope 7 of our picks are defense and offense is a high TE and later T/G and G/C.

Few options that I think will present at 17:

1. Take the best defensive player available on the DL or ILB if they're there

2. Best defensive players are off the board and we take one of the top RBs

3. Trade down to get some picks and take a defensive player at a position of better value later on

As it pertains to point #2 ... if Cook or McCaffrey are there at #17 it might be hard to pass on them if we aren't staring at Allen/Thomas/Foster/Reddick. One of the elite RBs in this class could make our offense truly elite. With 9 other picks, missing on a top-end defensive talent may hurt a bit, but overall we can still impact the defense with picks throughout.

The big ? ... either those elite RBs aren't there or we opt to go defense (maybe Foster or Reddick is there and of equal value on our boards and we take the greater need) ... if at some point we face the option of taking Joe Mixon in either the 2nd or 3rd round, I would hope that we bite. I've read a couple comps to Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson, and I'd absolutely LOVE to have that sort of talent in our backfield.

Might have the Browns or 49ers wanting to jump back into the first round for a QB.

The browns two second rounders plus say another 4th round pick cover our #17. That would tempt me to trade back. Would stack us with picks through rounds 2-4.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The may be tempted at 17. (Which would have Redskins heads, my own included, falling off in EPIC style these here boards.). 

Hail. 

If we draft a QB at 17 I'll consider sitting out this season and not contributing a single dollar to the organization*.  It would signify a direction for the team that I'm not even close to comfortable with and would waste a pick that could potentially be spent on a defensive starter from day 1.  

*caveat being we are drafting QB at 17 for a team who has agreed to trade draft picks for him 

1 minute ago, SkinssRvA said:

If we draft a QB at 17 I'll consider sitting out this season and not contributing a single dollar to the organization*.  It would signify a direction for the team that I'm not even close to comfortable with and would waste a pick that could potentially be spent on a defensive starter from day 1.  

*caveat being we are drafting QB at 17 for a team who has agreed to trade draft picks for him 

Couldn't agree more. But with no football GM, honestly nothing would surprise me. 

Hail. 

26 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Id be the same.

Heres the thing, drafting a QB at 17, at a point when you KNOW you have major defensive needs for a terrible defense in a defense heavy draft is in essence saying "QB is really important, the most important position on the roster, and more important than upgrading our defense".  In which case, you have zero excuse for not paying Kirk, even overpaying him at the expense of your defense.  You cant say "Oh, keeping the QB will hamper our defense, its not important enough, so we wont sign him to a LTD" and then turn around and say the opposite.

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Any talk of any developmental QB's? Really not been following Redskins links, but as I'm pretty certain San Francisco will tank this year to have a high option and Cousins in 2018, might not be a bad idea to get someone in to see them up close this year. Slim pickings as it is at QB. 

Hail. 

Patrick Towles was one we were linked with.

Also drafting Peterman would not surprise me at all. Back up QBs get big contract these days. I did predict the Sudfeld pick last year so im still rolling with him to be honest. B)

I think it be fun for us to draft Joe Mixon AND Chad Kelly!  People already laugh at the organization, let's just become the bad boys and get the talented but hated players.  Josh Norman seems to get on peoples nerves (even though I personally love his attitude when playing) and Terrelle Pryor apparently trash talks too much and players hate him for that.  Let's just become that team everybody hates but with talented players, and I think Mixon and Kelly both could be really good.  

Which player has improved his draft stock the most since the season ended? I polled five NFL executives. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Washington CB Kevin King
"Kevin King's height, length and ball skills show up on tape, but he was even better at the combine. He owned that event. It's hard to find corners with that combination of length and movement ability."

Executive 2: Temple LB Haason Reddick
"Reddick blew up the Senior Bowl and the combine. He showed his versatility to be used in a variety of roles. I'd say Kevin King was a close second."

Executive 3: King
"Kevin King is going to go in the first round. He killed it at the combine and his pro day was unbelievably impressive."

Executive 4: Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey
"McCaffrey really helped himself. He ran fast and showed there isn't anything he can't do for an offense."

Executive 5: Ole Miss TE Evan Engram
"He answered every concern people had about him. People questioned his blocking in the fall. Well, he goes to the Senior Bowl and shows tremendous improvement. Any questions about route running and speed were answered (at the combine). He's quietly put together the best spring of any prospect in the draft."

Summary: That's two votes for King and one apiece for Reddick, McCaffrey and Engram.

Conclusion: This is a good list of players. I think Reddick and King are both locks to go in the first round, and Engram has entered into the discussion. At worst, I think we'll see him go in the top 40 picks. One other player I'd throw in the mix: Kansas State edge rusher Jordan Willis. His combine testing was off the charts. He really boosted his stock following a very productive college career. I'd be very surprised if McCaffrey doesn't land in the top 20 of this draft. He is likely to be the second running back off the board.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000796008/article/ask-5-whos-biggest-nfl-draft-riser-since-start-of-postseason?campaign=tw-cf-sf66661001-sf66661001

Archived