Dukes and Skins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

2,987 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I agree with everything here. I was commenting on the fact you had Tu-ikolovatu going in the 3rd (not being there in the 4th because he's gone) or did you mean earlier in the 4th round?

If he's gone, I might see about Rashaad Coward later.

Sorry yeh, we pick him in the 4th.......having used an earlier pick on edge rush DE/OLB

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sorry yeh, we pick him in the 4th.......having used an earlier pick on edge rush DE/OLB

Oh, ok. I'd be ok with that. Not REAL happy because, as you also mentioned, I think it's a bit of a reach, but we do have 2 4th rounders this year. Maybe used the 2nd one on him and I'd be ok with that. :)

Edited by Morneblade

Zach Cunningham just doesn't do it for me tbh. Classic high upside but very raw. Not the safe first round pick we need imo. I think he'll be taken earlier than he should. 

The best possible thing that can happen is a WR/QB run before we pick at 17. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if it does, a defensive stud (Allen/Foster/Lattimore) could fall into our lap. 

The whole situation with Scot really hurts. It does. But now that the BS trade rumors involving Kirk have been squashed, I'm slowly getting optimistic again. I get it, many of us expected more involving the DL. We have a lot of draft picks. It's not out of the question where we pick up 3 starters and 5 make significant contributions in year 1. 

I'll also say this, our offense is scary good. Just because Kirk doesn't have a LTD, doesn't mean he isn't going to keep improving, he will. He has that mindset that turns good QBs into great QBs. The 50/50 question of Doctson contributing this year is starting to look like 90/10 he will. Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Reed, Davis and a solid OL. That is an offense that, no matter how **** the defense is, will be in every game no matter the opponent.

7 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

The best possible thing that can happen is a WR/QB run before we pick at 17. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but if it does, a defensive stud (Allen/Foster/Lattimore) could fall into our lap. 

The whole situation with Scot really hurts. It does. But now that the BS trade rumors involving Kirk have been squashed, I'm slowly getting optimistic again. I get it, many of us expected more involving the DL. We have a lot of draft picks. It's not out of the question where we pick up 3 starters and 5 make significant contributions in year 1. 

I'll also say this, our offense is scary good. Just because Kirk doesn't have a LTD, doesn't mean he isn't going to keep improving, he will. He has that mindset that turns good QBs into great QBs. The 50/50 question of Doctson contributing this year is starting to look like 90/10 he will. Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Reed, Davis and a solid OL. That is an offense that, no matter how **** the defense is, will be in every game no matter the opponent.

You know that that offense and a ****ty defense gets you?

9-7

8-7-1

People need to start understanding that we will do nothing until the defense becomes average.:kickcan:

1 person likes this

Atlanta's offense is very good and I think ours could be as good. My point is, Atlanta's defense MIGHT be average. They should have won the Super Bowl. So when you say we won't be better than 8-7-1 because of our defense, you are wrong. 

Just now, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Atlanta's offense is very good and I think ours could be as good. My point is, Atlanta's defense MIGHT be average. They should have won the Super Bowl. So when you say we won't be better than 8-7-1 because of our defense, you are wrong. 

Oh, we could throw a lot of resources at our offense and get marginally better. But let me introduce you to a couple of different concepts.

Diminished Returns and only being as strong as your weakest link.

It's much easier to upgrade a bad system than it is a good system. When you upgrade something that is already good, it doesn't improve all that much. You tend to have to throw a lot more at it to get much improvement.

So, instead to trying like gangbusters to get a minimal improvement on very good offense, work on the side of the ball that has a long way to go. You can make much bigger strides with less investment.

And Atlanta lost because their Defense was not very good. Could not make one stop down the stretch.

And that great Offense got shut down by a very good Defense in the 2nd half.

The last few weeks I've been involved with a mock draft. Here is how I picked for the Skins. I would've liked to go with at least 1 more DL but it didnt work out that way.

1(17)-Haasan Reddick-ILB-Temple
2(49)-Alvin Kamara-RB-Tennessee
3(81)-Dorian Johnson-G-Pittsburgh
4(114)-Tarell Basham-OLB-Ohio
4(124)-Nathan Peterman-QB-Pittsburgh
5(154)-Vincent Taylor-DL-Oklahoma St
6(201)-Tyler Orlosky-C-West Virginia
6(209)-Carroll Phillips-OLB-Illinois
7(220)-Erik Magnuson-OT-Michigan
7(235)-Shaq Griffin-CB-UCF

1 person likes this

Think Njoku could be a beast TE, but we can't afford him.

20 yo, 4.49 40, 246#, 6'4" maaaaannnn, run block catch...hearing NYG? :(

Edited by RedBeast

17 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Think Njoku could be a beast TE, but we can't afford him.

20 yo, 4.49 40, 246#, 6'4" maaaaannnn, run block catch...hearing NYG? :(

one of the few things Al Golden got right at Miami getting Njoku out of New Jersey

Golden is now the Lions TE coach so that could be an option