Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do we get the run game going?

JoeKnowsBest

Is the issue with our line or is it with our running backs? Or is it our playcalling/scheme? Do you think picking up a veteran like Pierre Thomas is the answer? The offense looked decent thanks to the passing game but we can't be a 1 trick pony. I'm just very frustrated by the lack of balance and lack of running game we have right now. Redskins fans are some of the smartest in the NFL. How do you guys think the Redskins can improve the running game?

I think it's all of the above. I don't think we have a great back, but I read our line is slow off the snap too. I think our play calling in the run game are also a bit predictable. I think the D knows how and where we are going to run. At any rate, the D never seems to be fooled. They know when a run is coming and stack the line. It seems like we rarely have a decent hole (though that may be difficult to know from watching the TV coverage/angles) 

Like a lot of us on ES, I feel like I anyways have an answer to a perceived weakness of the team. I'm dumbfounded on this one. Usually, run blocking comes easier to linemen and teams can find RBs that can play anywhere. Not us, apparently. 

Honestly, I've felt like our running game has been lame since Gruden got here. Maybe it is some sort of scheme issue. IDK.

6 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Get by the first guy. Alf always got by that first guy when he was racking up yardage.

Our backs go down with the first punch.

I remember someone saying that a punt returner's job was to always make the first guy miss.

One thing we could attempt would be to run more of our running plays out of a read option look.  We don't need the QB to keep it half the time like RG3 was doing in 2012, but something more along the lines of how Chip Kelly ran the read option look with Nick Foles.  Just tell Cousins that you don't want him keeping it more than 2-3 times per game, so he should only keep it if he sees something blatantly wide open.

We already have a few read option runs in the playbook, so the only downside I can see is that (a) Cousins could potentially get injured, and (b ) running the read option throughout the game could take away some of the element of surprise for when we run it in the red zone (which is where we've typically used it).

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:
10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I remember someone saying that a punt returner's job was to always make the first guy miss.

Yeah...Running backs job is to run over him.

john-riggins-500x400.jpg

Alf was getting by the first guy because they did not have clean shots and wouldn't as long as Alf made the correct first read as that read would tell him where to run the ball in our base play.  Our base run play in the new system requires more dominating interior linemen and even when we go more outside, we need interior linemen that won't allow penetration.  Remember, we had a very good running game until we had some injuries to the interior and were getting solid towards the end of the year.  Much of our run game problem seems that we get too many negative plays as opposed to too many short gains.

It's important to remember that the defense is always ahead of the offense in the running game this time of year. Offenses take time to develop a rhythm, whereas the defense can rely on individual play.  Not only that but the offense was missing arguably its two best players, including best blocker  

What I find interesting is Freeman goes for 9 yards on 5 carries, and I see fans on this board complaining that the D can't stop the run. <2 ypc is pretty good for me  

IMO the biggest issue is the scheme, and that's not a knock on Gruden, it's just that his offenses are designed for passing (AFL experience;see Bengals offense).  That doesn't mean there can't be improvements made, but Gruden always trends towards passing. 

I'd like to go back and rewatch the game to see how many times we ran to the right side of our line with the starters in.  Does anybody know?

Every time we ran behind center or the left side of the line it seemed as if our OL was either getting pushed back at the line of scrimmage or our LT, LG, C were missing blocks in space.  Perhaps the coaches game plan was to test the left side of our line without Trent, knowing what we have and are confident in the right side?

Additionally, it seemed as if Jones and Marshall weren't running with confidence or hitting holes hard.

I'm looking forward to what the coaches come up with for the second game and I'd love to see improvement with the left side ad RBs.

Hail.

1.  I don't want to see Cousins dinged up running the read option and have the fine passing game go in the crapper.

2.  It just the first preseason game so maybe the power running game will improve this season.  

3.  I assume that is what SM & JG expect that some improvement in Jone's second year, the addition of Marshall and development of the OL.  So far the results are disappointing.

4.  I wonder if the Skins would have more success passing 45+ plus a game and using with a scat back on draws and delays than with power backs behind this line.

We were 20th in yards and 30th in Y/A last year.  In the first preseason game, where defenses are expecting to face a pretty vanilla offense, we weren't going to magically become dominant.  Yes, our OL has another year of experience together - so does Atlanta's DL.  Coaches treat preseason games like kids treat chemistry sets (do they still make chemistry sets?) - parents are more likely see stink bombs and goo balls than a cure for cancer.

I'm sure blocking is an issue to some extent, but I can't get over how bad our rb's look.   Jones is a dancer anytime he is asked to run east and west, and I seem to remember reports last year where the coaching staff was trying to make him run stronger - to finish his runs.  With a guy Jones' size he should be going down a lot less than he does on 1st contact.  2 carries in a preseason game is not enough to tell if he's changed some of his habits - but I wouldn't be hopeful he transforms himself completely either.

Team needs a vet back relying on our "top 3" right now seems like a bad plan.

The problem with the running game is that it's at every level.....RB, TE, OL, Coaching.

RB - I like Jones, but he's not a feature RB at this stage of his career

TE -  They just aren't good blockers

OL -  Not big and physical enough at LG  & Center

Coaching - I don't think they are creative enough and are too predictable.

We need to reduce the amount of zone stretch runs...it's minus two yards every time....the problem is that we need to run it some in order to use the bootleg.

I would put Lavauo back at LG...our two best running games last year were the two he started.

I would run more power and draws instead of stretch....also run more from 3 and 4 receiver sets...almost like a run-n-shoot offense

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

It's important to remember that the defense is always ahead of the offense in the running game this time of year. Offenses take time to develop a rhythm, whereas the defense can rely on individual play.  Not only that but the offense was missing arguably its two best players, including best blocker  

What I find interesting is Freeman goes for 9 yards on 5 carries, and I see fans on this board complaining that the D can't stop the run. <2 ypc is pretty good for me  

IMO the biggest issue is the scheme, and that's not a knock on Gruden, it's just that his offenses are designed for passing (AFL experience;see Bengals offense).  That doesn't mean there can't be improvements made, but Gruden always trends towards passing. 

Finally, someone who gets it. :)

Even if the Redskins get the running game going to the coach's satisfaction, this is going to be a PASSING offense.

They are going to throw, throw, and throw some more. Real WCO stuff. :)

They'll get the running game going to the point of making the play action believable. ;)

However, I believe this offense will never be a top 5 rushing offense. Maybe not top 10 either.

But they will be tops in passing.

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

20 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Even if the Redskins get the running game going to the coach's satisfaction, this is going to be a PASSING offense.

They are going to throw, throw, and throw some more. Real WCO stuff. :)

They'll get the running game going to the point of making the play action believable. ;)

However, I believe this offense will never be a top 5 rushing offense. Maybe not top 10 either.

But they will be tops in passing.

These comments are where I think we stand.  Gruden talks the talk to placate the fans (& his boss), but I don't think his intention is to build a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust Rushing Attack.  As long as Defenses respect the Run, I think he'll be fine with that.

Also I found the remarks regarding Lavauo interesting, but the youth in the backfield has to be an issue on some level too.  AND I do get the sense that the Offense is trying to run into a loaded box seemingly with every attempt.

But with all that said, I'm not gonna trip...the sample size has been waaay too small to draw any lasting conclusions from.  Gruden & co. still get the benefit of the doubt.

Archived