Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

They need to start by winning game 3.  Just focus on one game at a time.

They have certainly "out-chanced" them in both games so far.  Most periods, I've said internally, "We out played them" and have been happy with the effort, other than lack of goals.  From what I've seen (missing period 3 in game one, and period 2/3 in game two), we've looked like the better team short of finishing and some rather weak goals given up.

We can still do this.  Play like the team that squashed them 7-1 in November (or whenever it was).

Crosby was huge last night.  The blocked shot that led to his assist was a thing of beauty.  As was his backcheck to break up a potential goal.  He does so many things well.  The kid is a hockey savant.  

I thought that Ovi played well, but not quite to the same level.  Fleury is also a major reason.  Caps should have been up after the 1st period.

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Heard all this hype about the 3rd line

they produced jack ****.

Burakovsky is playing like trash again in the playoffs 

Taking away the one outlier game of scoring 5 goals and this offense is averaging 2 goals a game in the other 7 games in regulation play. Even with the 5 goal game that's 19 goals in 8 games in regulation play. I would think we are the lowest scoring team in the playoffs.

There really isn't one unit playing great that the team could lean on. 

Ovechkin doesn't get the same credit as Crosby because he doesn't have an entire Canadian media PR firm. He blocked 3 shots last night and cleaned the slot on backchecks all night, including putting a guy into the turnbuckle. But since NBC lives to highlight anything Crosby does....

Wilson got boarded, should have been a major. Crosby should have gotten a penalty for butt-ending Nisky at center ice. He skated from the blue line to a stationary Niskanen and butt ended him in the chin. Then Hornqvist tried to jump Niskanen. And Kunitz tackled Winnik from behind while the linesman had Winnik to keep him away from a Pen. The officials need to call the game with an unbiased eye. If the Caps were to play the exact same way, no way those aren't penalties. Hell, Wilson got 2 and 10 for punching Bonino in response to Bonino punching him. 

When the Red Sox won their first World Series, they had to rally from 3-0 down against their hated rival Yankees.

Manning's first Super Bowl win, he was down 21-3 to the Pats in the AFC Title game.

Cleveland's first title, they had to rally from 3-1 down in the Finals. Ditto the Cubs in the World Series.

Is this the Caps storybook moment? Is this what we talk about 30 years from now? Is this the ESPN 30 for 30 moment?

If anyone's due, its us right?

9 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Ovechkin doesn't get the same credit as Crosby because he doesn't have an entire Canadian media PR firm. He blocked 3 shots last night and cleaned the slot on backchecks all night, including putting a guy into the turnbuckle. But since NBC lives to highlight anything Crosby does....

Ovechkin doesn't get the same credit as Crosby because he hasn't won anything yet.  It's that simple.  Once he does, if he does, then he will.  Unfortunately for Ovi the narrative has always been Crosby vs. Ovechkin, not Pittsburgh versus Washington.  It's not fair, but that's what the media does and people lap it up.

I actually thought last night's game was pretty even.  Part of me even thought they were going to wipe out the Malkin goal on review to keep us in it.

This is the premier match-up for the tournament.  Only the finals brings a bigger card than this unless it's Caps/Pens vs Rags in the ECF... even then that's a novelty compared to this.

I missed most of game one until the end, but last night was pretty even.

Part of the reason that I can't dump on Ovi, is one he's a winger and not a Center like Crosby and Malkin... so that means he has different responsibilities... but two, the ****ing media does that enough.

This is beyond ridiculous lol...

36 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Pretty even in what regard?

In calls by the refs.  I did feel like O'rourke got in the way of our forecheck one too many times when we were cycling below the net last night for it to be a coincidence, but as far as calling the game evenly I felt it was pretty fair.

Last night wasn't on the refs.

This team is just going to have to go somewhere they've never been mentally.  There is a lot of pain that you have to suffer to win a championship and we have a few dudes in that locker room who have been there.  Something is inherently wrong with this team around this time in the tournament where they shut it off.

I'd be in there slapping dudes in the face... but I honestly don't think a lot of them care.

They just need to score but the worry is this team doesn't have it. For some reason all their shots in the playoffs are like there is a vacuum that sucks them right into the chest of any goalie we are playing. Like I said before Kuzy himself should have 5 goals at minimum with the chances he has had so far this playoffs.    They are also too slow getting the puck to the net, they dick around skating outside the perimeter and allow 3 guys to get in front of the goalie before putting the puck into the center. It's mind numbing it happens every spring. That first period only half their shots made it through, Pens had something like 15 blocked shots in the first period. That's too slow getting the puck on net.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Ok, the mojo has been changed. After 18 days the playoff beard has been sheared. Starting fresh today. Playoffs start tomorrow. Sweeping 4 in a row...

You know. If the Caps want to change things, they should all shave clean. Go full Costanza and do the opposite of every other team in the league.

Do we bench Shattenkirk for Alzner? Surely Alzner with a bunch of rest cannot play as bad as Shattenkirk has. Right? Or maybe dress 7 defenders and have him play power plays and offensive zone faceoffs? It's not like dropping a 4th liner is going to matter and just take turns double shifting everyone down to that 4th line spot.

Hate to say it but Holtby has to go into God mode. He and the defense have to limit the Pens to no more than 2 goals per game or we are toast. And those 1 or 2 goals that go in cannot be at back breaking times like when we are dominating play and they come down and get a soft goal.

Hard to shake the idea that this series has two, maybe three games left in it

We would have to have an all time performance going forward from Holtby and to be fair, he's been poor so long in the playoffs that I think his confidence is shot.

i can't expect the third line to all of a sudden start producing. Burakovsky has had a great series advanced stats but he has 3 career playoff goals. 2 came in the same game in 2015 vs NYI. 4th line is chipping in nothing. 

Kuzy has one goal. Nothing from Mojo. Nothing from Williams. 

These guys were all putting up career numbers. Now? Nothing. I'm sorry but I put that down as collapsing under the weight of expectations. The players can say whatever they want but their play says something different. It's not like they're facing an elite defensive team. The Pens aren't good defensively. 

Yet we haven't scored more than two ****ing goals in 4 games. 

To make things worse, we have a third D pair (44 and 22) that literally cannot defend the Pens. At all. They are unplayable. 

And to top it all off, the Pens are elite at actually finishing their chances. They don't flub open nets or misplay pucks. They have confidence because they are Champs that kicked our asses last year and no matter what they say, when you historically own a team, there is part of you that expects to win. 

Long story short, it's a first to 4 series. Underlying stats favor us but they don't take into account mental make up or pressure. Plus they are more predictive than anything else. If it was a best of11, we might be ok. 

I expect to lose something like 4-1 tonight, win game 4, and lose game 5.

the burden of proof is on the Caps to prove us wrong on the ice. Not in a team meeting 

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

And to top it all off, the Pens are elite at actually finishing their chances. They don't flub open nets or misplay pucks.

This is what gets me too. We are CONSTANTLY shanking/bobbling/mishandling the puck. Its really frustrating to watch. Just settle down, stick on puck. You guys are pros, its not THAT hard.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is what gets me too. We are CONSTANTLY shanking/bobbling/mishandling the puck. Its really frustrating to watch. Just settle down, stick on puck. You guys are pros, its not THAT hard.

They're nervous 

WaPost was writing articles on how important the 3rd line was gonna be. They cracked/are cracking. 

Burakovsky has had been shooting pucks onto ****ing U Street all playoffs. That's a mental issue. He has talent. Eller I think has one goal total in the last few months. Connolly was benched and Wilson is Wilson 

Archived