Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealRedskins: What are the Redskins' most important remaining needs?

Twelfth man

I think its definitely NT/DT, and RB for me.  You might throw in C as well.  While we have prospects at the G position, we dont really have any at C that have a chance to start.  But Im not sold yet on Jones at RB, and we NEED a RB to take some pressure off, and even with the upgrades in the secondary, we need a dominant NT/DT to run stop, and push the pocket.

I think its definitely NT/DT, and RB for me.  You might throw in C as well.  While we have prospects at the G position, we dont really have any at C that have a chance to start.  But Im not sold yet on Jones at RB, and we NEED a RB to take some pressure off, and even with the upgrades in the secondary, we need a dominant NT/DT to run stop, and push the pocket.

C def needs to be included. Maybe over NT.

Interior OL is a weak spot and may be part of the reason running game stunk most of last year. Might even help Jones' game.

Pierre Thomas should be picked up based on what he did for us last year.

I'm not sure we have an important remaining need as such. I think we have enough across the board in camp to cover all areas, some clearly better than others, but nothing too glaringly weak in my opinion. Otherwise, i think we would have added more in that area by now.

For me, my main concern is at ILB and safety still. We've added pieced but need those guys to step up. How those two groups mature through camp is my main watch area.

Found a couple interesting articles on Phillips' scheme. Both have a lot of good nuggets and make things a bit clearer in terms of what we're building/shooting for. Really interesting to see how our personnel additions/changes fit with this philosophy. Have fun. :)

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/1/4/1913068/thats-so-crazy-it-just-might-work-examining-wade-phillips-3-4-scheme

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/firstandgoal151015/the-magic-wade-phillips-continues-denver-broncos-nfl

these articles are fantastic and worthy of their own thread. Maybe some folks would understand a little better.

these articles are fantastic and worthy of their own thread. Maybe some folks would understand a little better.

Agreed.  Thanks Skinny. :)

I keep seeing that Barry is from the Wade 'tree'.  Can someone enlighten me to what that connection is?  And maybe it was personnel driven, but I saw no attempt last year to play press across the board in the secondary.  Was I asleep?  

I think that anyone who says we don't still have a glaring need at safety and inside linebacker is whistling past the graveyard.  

By popular demand, I'm copying this here from the "Remaining Needs" thread.

Found a couple interesting articles on Phillips' scheme. Both have a lot of good nuggets and make things a bit clearer in terms of what we're building/shooting for. Really interesting to see how our personnel additions/changes fit with this philosophy. Have fun. :)

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/1/4/1913068/thats-so-crazy-it-just-might-work-examining-wade-phillips-3-4-scheme

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/firstandgoal151015/the-magic-wade-phillips-continues-denver-broncos-nfl

Yes Koolblue, your opinion counts as 'popular demand'.

You're still in the "Remaining Needs" thread you silly goose. :lol:

Agreed.  Thanks Skinny. :)

I keep seeing that Barry is from the Wade 'tree'.  Can someone enlighten me to what that connection is?  And maybe it was personnel driven, but I saw no attempt last year to play press across the board in the secondary.  Was I asleep?  

I think that anyone who says we don't still have a glaring need at safety and inside linebacker is whistling past the graveyard.  

Barry was under John Pagano in San Diego as the LB coach, Pagano was running Wade's 3-4 version.  John Pagano learned under Wade Phillips.  Just google them together, the connections come up everywhere.

What what? I'm so confused.

What about my opinion and popular demand?

I attempted to copy those articles into a different thread (the Joe Barry one), and instead copied them... sigh... back into this thread. Originally, I quoted your response at the end of my (attempted re)post and said the bit about your opinion counting as popular demand.

Agreed. Thanks Skinny. :)

I keep seeing that Barry is from the Wade 'tree'. Can someone enlighten me to what that connection is? And maybe it was personnel driven, but I saw no attempt last year to play press across the board in the secondary. Was I asleep?

Yeah, if I had to guess, the personnel issues (losing Galette, poor safety play, injuries/suspensions of the corners going back to training camp) all played a part. I don't really know though.

Anyway, I did finally move the articles (or copy them, actually) to the Barry thread so we wouldn't be so off topic here. :)

Personally I think the single most important need is to stay healthy. 

A player goes down, another fills his spot, but the talent level drops, play calling changes to adapt, thus the entire game plan is altered.

Yes, individual positions are very important, and o-line is prob the most important of all, being it dictates the success of the offense, but players over weeks-months develop working partnerships which function great together; remove one of them and the success rate drops which affects the offense.

TEs were dropping like flies last year, so maybe the strength/conditioning coach needs to brush up or ship out...

SIC

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Bumped with this Keim article talking about TEs, Dline and Cravens

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/25224/linebacker-sua-cravens-role-could-be-factor-in-any-defensive-improvement

It's strange (and a little concerning) how many questions we seem to have on the roster:

Who will start at RDE, NT, ILB (x2), FS?

Who will backup Dline (x3), ILB (x2), S (x2), corner and Rb?

How do new starters progress: Hall, Compton, Jones, Long, Cousins?

How do the position changes go - Murphy, Blackmon (Dunbar and Hall fit here as well)?

How will they use Ioannidis, Smith/Galette and Cravens and how will they (particularly the new guys) perform?

Of course, because of the 1) improved (IMO) depth/competition, 2) the potential in a lot of these guys (even some of the vets), and 3) the continuity with the coaching staff, I'm feeling a lot of optimism.

EDIT: Bumped with this Keim article talking about TEs, Dline and Cravens

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/25224/linebacker-sua-cravens-role-could-be-factor-in-any-defensive-improvement

It's strange (and a little concerning) how many questions we seem to have on the roster:

Who will start at NT, NT, ILB (x2), FS?

Who will backup Dline (x3), ILB (x2), S (x2), corner and Rb?

How do either new starters progress: Hall, Compton, Jones, Long, Cousins?

How do the position changes go - Murphy, Blackmon (Dunbar and Hall fit here as well)?

How will they use Ioannidis, Smith/Galette and Cravens and how will they (particularly the new guys) perform?

Of course, because of the 1) improved (IMO) depth/competition, 2) the potential in a lot of these guys (even some of the vets), and 3) the continuity with the coaching staff, I'm feeling a lot of optimism.

True...but I think every team has those basic questions...

Also true... :)

Just feels like - the number of guys coming off injury, the uncertainty (competition) at quite a few positions, the brand new starters and new-ish starters, and the guys changing positions/guys that changed just last year - is a lot more... uncertainty, then I'm accustomed to seeing with the team.

Again though, a lot of that uncertainty is due to competition, which is an excellent brand of uncertainty.

Probably not to the extent we do.

For instance, if you look at our offense, there is only one real question mark: who is starting at LG?

Defense has a lot of questions. Some involve injuries, some involve replacing players, some involve players being moved. There are a lot of question marks on D. Which is good, because it wasn't that good last year. If things were set in stone more or less, we could expect the same results and not much else.

The good thing about the question marks for me is that we are approaching them with several potential solutions/ back up plans in place and letting the best players rise to the top through competition.

Some offseasons in the past it seemed like at this point in the offseason, we already had guys penciled in as starters despite not being healthy, having shown they earned it, or having anyone behind them pushing for their jobs.

So long story short, I'm not as concerned with these questions because our depth is alot stronger than in years past, meaning we're more likely to find the solutions in house at some point in between now and the start of the season. 

Think Ratliff guys and gals, he was an end that Wade moved inside to be a disruptive force in the middle so Ware could get his sacks with no pocket for a QB to step up into.  That's the type of guy we want, and maybe Matt Ioannidis can do that for us.  

Who is our "Ratliff", then?

I don't think we have him on the roster.

Probably not to the extent we do.

For instance, if you look at our offense, there is only one real question mark: who is starting at LG?

Defense has a lot of questions. Some involve injuries, some involve replacing players, some involve players being moved. There are a lot of question marks on D. Which is good, because it wasn't that good last year. If things were set in stone more or less, we could expect the same results and not much else.

Prior to last season we had a 7-25 stretch.  We've been smart about not buying every FA to 'fix' things.  We had a great run last year and could certainly repeat, because there is a good core.  

The teams that have fewer questions are the ones that have drafted well for years and have answers in the wings.  

Also, like you said there are lot's of what if's as well.  Gillette and Norman should help.  Everything else is a maybe Bruton, Hood, Murphy to DE, Paea healthy and improving, Perry health (or even remaining on team), Hall 2nd year at Safety, others moving to S, Cravens role in the D and transitioning year one...  I'm sure there is more.  Some moves will work and others won't, but collectively progress is the goal.  

Right now my biggest worry is MLB.  Whether the DL doesn't keep them clean or they don't make the plays, the run game was a killer at times last year (we can argue DL vs MLB fault, but again this is my gut feeling).  I think we've got things to try at DL (Reyes, Hood, Ioannis, Murphy).  Compton, Foster and Perry have all had shots and shown fairly well.  There are some guys that could step up, but I think more was brought in to look/work the DL.  Of course they could jump be super high on a MLB player as well.  IDK.

DL to me is the biggest weakness. Skins showed last year that they cant stop the run consistently. Cowboys will have a great running game this year and if skins dont figure something out this off-season they are gong to get killed up the middle. Outside of Baker, the whole DL consists of a bunch of shoulda coulda woulda outcasts from other teams.

Who is our "Ratliff", then?

I don't think we have him on the roster.

You don't think Matt Ioannidis can fill that role?  I'm not saying he's an All-Pro, he hasn't played a snap yet.  Is he that good, or even NFL caliber?  I don't know yet.

They could be expecting him to add 25-50 lbs. to play a traditional nose, but there were guys they could have drafted if they wanted that.  I think they want him about a lean 310, and they'll want him to penetrate a gap like Wade had Ratliff do.  Maybe he can add more weight than that and keep his explosiveness, he looks lean now at 308.

By the way, here's a scouting report on Ratliff coming out of Auburn, an All-Pro NT drafted in the 7th round:

Positives … Has a tall, rangy frame with long arms and legs, high hips, tapered calves and thighs and good upper body muscle development … Has the straight-line speed needed to chase down the quarterback when working in-line … Tough, aggressive athlete who might lack pass rush ability, but has enough burst to collapse the pocket … When he gets low in his stance, he can stop the forward progress of the ball carrier when meeting head on … Uses his hands well to hold on and drag down the opponent … When he stays at a good pad level, he can maintain balance when in pursuit and does a nice job of getting through the trash to spot the ball … Effective knifing into the backfield to flush out the quarterback … Has developed decent rip-&-swim moves to aid him in the bull rush.

Negatives … Has major size limitations if he is to stay at tackle, but does not have the explosive burst to be effective moving outside to come off the edge … Lacks flexibility in his lower body, which prevents him from flattening and changing direction easily … He needs to do a better job of staying low in his pads, as he tends to get high in his stance, resulting in offensive linemen having success vs. him with reach blocks … when his base gets too narrow, he gets bounced around some, especially vs. double team coverage … Labors at times coming out of his stance and needs to develop a sudden initial burst in order to gain leverage due to his size limitations … Has good power, but not enough to compensate for a lack of bulk when working inside … Good effort type, but one look at his stats and you see marginal production … Adequate student, but plays with marginal instincts and awareness … Late to recognize and react, spending a lot of time getting behind the play … Runs well for his size, but shows limited change of direction agility and explosion … Soft at the point of attack, failing to use his hands

Some of these same things are said about Matt, I look forward to seeing this play out.

We need a viable starter to emerge at center.

We desperately need rb depth

Our interior dline is weak. 1 to 2 injuries there and teams will run all over us just like the Packers did. (That was complete domination, we couldn't stop any runs)

I think the lb position (not rush lbs) is thin and may have over achieved at points last year.

Overall, though, this roster looks more developed and has more star power than in year's past.

Most important needs are MLB depth, NT/C (both sides of the ball), RB veteran (see Pierre Thomas at training camp). 

Safety has depth for the first time in awhile. Good competition to go with D.Hall 2. 

Defense should look different if all the current pieces make it to opening day.  They'll take a step forward with a healthy spell to start the season!  They're do for spell of healthy.

DL to me is the biggest weakness. Skins showed last year that they cant stop the run consistently. Cowboys will have a great running game this year and if skins dont figure something out this off-season they are gong to get killed up the middle. Outside of Baker, the whole DL consists of a bunch of shoulda coulda woulda outcasts from other teams.

Why will the Cowboys automatically have a great running game? Because of Elliot?

The kid is a green rookie. He hasn't proven anything at the NFL level.

Archived