Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RealRedskins: What are the Redskins' most important remaining needs?

Twelfth man

Why will the Cowboys automatically have a great running game? Because of Elliot?

The kid is a green rookie. He hasn't proven anything at the NFL level.

Honestly, I think Alfred would put up big numbers behind that line. He did it with worse here.

Why will the Cowboys automatically have a great running game? Because of Elliot?

The kid is a green rookie. He hasn't proven anything at the NFL level.

RBs make the easiest adjustment to NFL. Elliot could be a monster and in the very least will be a great complimentary piece to Mcfadden and Morris.  Behind that Oline any avg RB can look extremely solid. 

Honestly, I think Alfred would put up big numbers behind that line. He did it with worse here.

I disagree.

I think the Cowboy line, while very good, is overrated.. This is the same line that got romoSUCKS injured 3 times in the last two years.

RBs make the easiest adjustment to NFL. Elliot could be a monster and in the very least will be a great complimentary piece to Mcfadden and Morris.  Behind that Oline any avg RB can look extremely solid. 

As I told Morneblade, I think people are overrating the Cowboys o-line.

And it is too early to refer to Elliot as "a monster" in any way. :)

I disagree.

I think the Cowboy line, while very good, is overrated.. This is the same line that got romoSUCKS injured 3 times in the last two years.

Overrated or not, their OL was better than ours the last few years. Ours is getting better, but go and look who was the starting OL 3 years ago and tell me it was better than what Dallas had.

Overrated or not, their OL was better than ours the last few years. Ours is getting better, but go and look who was the starting OL 3 years ago and tell me it was better than what Dallas had.

I'm not comparing the two lines. I'm saying the Cowboys line is overrated. It is a good line, but it isn't the '91 Hogs. :)

I'm not comparing the two lines. I'm saying the Cowboys line is overrated. It is a good line, but it isn't the '91 Hogs. :)

I agree. I guess I don't understand what you disagreed with about my statement that AlMo could have a big season running behind the 'Boys OL. I think it's a good fit scheme-wise and Al is a tough runner. McFadden got over 1k not getting a huge amount of touches (4.6 average) which is as good of a year as he's had since he was a rookie. With no romoSUCKS or Bryant to keep the D honest.

I agree. I guess I don't understand what you disagreed with about my statement that AlMo could have a big season running behind the 'Boys OL. I think it's a good fit scheme-wise and Al is a tough runner. McFadden got over 1k not getting a huge amount of touches (4.6 average) which is as good of a year as he's had since he was a rookie. With no romoSUCKS or Bryant to keep the D honest.

Mainly because I am not sure how many touches Morris will even get. If he makes their team. :)

He didn't do well here last season for several reasons, but one was he was a bad fit in Gruden's system. How good a fit will he be in Dallas?

No doubt, on paper, the Cowboys have the best o-line in the NFC East, but IMO, folks using words to describe them like "scary" and "dominant" I think are off base.

Mainly because I am not sure how many touches Morris will even get. If he makes their team. :)

He didn't do well here last season for several reasons, but one was he was a bad fit in Gruden's system. How good a fit will he be in Dallas?

No doubt, on paper, the Cowboys have the best o-line in the NFC East, but IMO, folks using words to describe them like "scary" and "dominant" I think are off base.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I should have said that I think he could put up big numbers if he was the starter. That's what I meant, but after going back and looking at my OP, it wasn't very clear about the hypotheticals. Sorry about that. :)

I dont think anyone could disagree with the fact that Cowboys still have the best O-line in the NFCE. Overrated or not they have a very good line that is extremely adapt at run blocking, something that cant be said for the Skins line. romoSUCKS got hurt because he tries to extend the play until the last sec and he is inj prone in general.

I never said Elliot IS a monster.. but he very well COULD BE.. chances are he will be at least on par with the better RBs in the NFL.

Elliot looks like an exceptionally good back. He will probably get well over 1,500 yards this season. He has rare combination of speed, quickness, and awareness.

Morris was never a great back. He isn't real quick, and he isn't very fast. Although he is hard to bring down with arm tackles, he isn't a bulldozer either. He produced some good seasons with his "one cut and go" style that took advantage of the hesitation caused by RG3's ball handing and running threat. Combine that with Morris' excellent vision and violent running, and he performed better than anyone expected.

I've seen several comments about Gruden's change to man-on-man blocking schemes. Gruden DOES do more dives, leads, and traps than before, but more than half of the 'skins running plays last season were still zone runs. The blocking scheme is not the reason for Morris' tough year...I'd say the biggest reason is that he lost his violence.

Jones runs with violence. We will see how he does.

Elliot looks like an exceptionally good back. He will probably get well over 1,500 yards this season.

He has a much better chance of having a season ending acl/mcl injury and since this is the Redskins part of the site I'll predict that he probably will.

a new owner!...naw, just kiddin'...Snyder's been doing good lately...showing a growth in character I didn't believe he had in him...no longer Mr. Know it all spoiled brat Billionaire..no more listening just to yes men...it's a tough road from hubris to humility..takes a lot of mirror time..

Elliot looks like an exceptionally good back. He will probably get well over 1,500 yards this season. He has rare combination of speed, quickness, and awareness.

Morris was never a great back. He isn't real quick, and he isn't very fast. Although he is hard to bring down with arm tackles, he isn't a bulldozer either. He produced some good seasons with his "one cut and go" style that took advantage of the hesitation caused by RG3's ball handing and running threat. Combine that with Morris' excellent vision and violent running, and he performed better than anyone expected.

I've seen several comments about Gruden's change to man-on-man blocking schemes. Gruden DOES do more dives, leads, and traps than before, but more than half of the 'skins running plays last season were still zone runs. The blocking scheme is not the reason for Morris' tough year...I'd say the biggest reason is that he lost his violence.

Jones runs with violence. We will see how he does.

maybe 1500 total yards..but probably 1500 rushing, God I hope not....Still, Cowboys might have to ride him when Romosux gets hurt by the 3rd or 4th week...

I dont think anyone could disagree with the fact that Cowboys still have the best O-line in the NFCE. Overrated or not they have a very good line that is extremely adapt at run blocking, something that cant be said for the Skins line. romoSUCKS got hurt because he tries to extend the play until the last sec and he is inj prone in general.

I never said Elliot IS a monster.. but he very well COULD BE.. chances are he will be at least on par with the better RBs in the NFL.

I dunno...not tryin to be a Homer but our line is shaping up nicely...I think by the end of next year we will be talked about in the Best OL discussion..

a new owner!...naw, just kiddin'...Snyder's been doing good lately...showing a growth in character I didn't believe he had in him...no longer Mr. Know it all spoiled brat Billionaire..no more listening just to yes men...it's a tough road from hubris to humility..takes a lot of mirror time..

I'm optimistic (well, hopeful anyway) that Snyder has seen McGlouhan's blueprint and will look/strive for something/someone similar if/when Scot moves on.

I'm optimistic (well, hopeful anyway) that Snyder has seen McGlouhan's blueprint and will look/strive for something/someone similar if/when Scot moves on.

if he ever really was the business prodigy..well, hed better keep delegatin' to people who know football...he's not 34 anymore...

/and I understand he has made a billion or so buying the Skins...but I also hope he feels like every other Redskin fan....that yes you will always make money off of us..but you could make multi billions if you produced a winner..I'm sure he knows that....

bottom line it's simple,...just mirror JKC's...and the way he handled owning sports teams...

While we are thin at RB, I do not want a vet added this early.

They don't need the reps, we don't want them to get reps over everyone else we have in camp that needs them more than they do.  Lastly, we don't want our vet logging extra mileage for 3 months before we really need him. 

I am not sold on our ILBs. I am still wondering what happened to Keenan.

While we are thin at RB, I do not want a vet added this early.

They don't need the reps, we don't want them to get reps over everyone else we have in camp that needs them more than they do. Lastly, we don't want our vet logging extra mileage for 3 months before we really need him.

I am not sold on our ILBs. I am still wondering what happened to Keenan.

biggest disappointment of last season. Not only can he not stay healthy, but he can't seem to learn a playbook either.

I think he'd make a good OLB in a 43, maybe, if his only job was QB/RB.

I dunno...not tryin to be a Homer but our line is shaping up nicely...I think by the end of next year we will be talked about in the Best OL discussion..

It's definitely the homer in you.. while the line is going in the right direction... we still have a long way to go. Great on paper and great on game day are two different things.

As a side note.. Cousins helped make our line look good by having a quick release. And Griffin made it look worse than it really was with slow reads/ release.

All true...but, I think we are set at RT, RG,and LT....Lauvao was playing his best ball that I've seen him play until he got hurt...so if he can get back to that kind of play then we are good at LG...also, we have a lot of young "potential" lineman backing them up...I like Arie, Ty and Takoby...Long is developing nicely...and for what its worth LeRibeus is making himself more valuable to the team with his ability to back up multiple positions...my concern is at Center..but maybe Austin can make a move this summer..

We need a viable starter to emerge at center.

We desperately need rb depth

Our interior dline is weak. 1 to 2 injuries there and teams will run all over us just like the Packers did. (That was complete domination, we couldn't stop any runs)

I think the lb position (not rush lbs) is thin and may have over achieved at points last year.

Overall, though, this roster looks more developed and has more star power than in year's past.

I don't really see Center and RB as truly needy areas.  Lict has returned to health.  If he can no longer do the job, there are three good candidates to take over (Rib, Long, Reiters).

RBi is no longer a position of great importance in the NFL.  Teams hardly draft a RB high any more, because RBs are pretty much used just enough to keep the opposition defense honest.  The ability to pass protect and catch passes may now be more important than running.  Competent RBs can be found late in the draft, and I fully expect the Skins will find an adequate back up to Jones among the likes of Brown, Marshall, Thompson, Kelley.

Your 3rd listed position (DL) is probably the team's weakest spot.  Outside of Baker, there is not much there to get excited about.  Hopefully, 5th rounder Ionnedas turns out to be a good one and the transition of Murphy to DE will pan out.

Your 3rd listed position (DL) is probably the team's weakest spot.  Outside of Baker, there is not much there to get excited about.  Hopefully, 5th rounder Ionnedas turns out to be a good one and the transition of Murphy to DE will pan out.

I agree.  Ive never been high on Trent Murphy.  Redskins coaches say he's at his best when he's strictly moving forward.  So putting him on the D line seems like the best fit for him.  I hope he gets seven or eight sacks this year.  I think anything more would be asking too much.

I agree.  Ive never been high on Trent Murphy.  Redskins coaches say he's at his best when he's strictly moving forward.  So putting him on the D line seems like the best fit for him.  I hope he gets seven or eight sacks this year.  I think anything more would be asking too much.

7 or 8 is probably asking too much...I'd take a 6 sack season from him at DL...

Archived