Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

What you and others haven't realized yet is that Kirk Cousins is just a bust of another stripe, he just hasn't been given as many snaps to prove it to you. He's a middle-of-the-road QB who isn't gonna do enough ever ON HIS OWN, ON HIS TALENT to win games that matter.

Scott Mitchell probably grabs a tub of vaseline and locks the bathroom door thinking about the chance(s) Kirk has had since January 2013 to win the job outright and/or AT WORST improve his worth in the sport. HE'S DONE NEITHER. EVER. If he didn't take over the job last year when Griff dislocated his ankle, he's never gonna do it. He's in a QB battle with Colt McCoy at the moment in now his fourth year in the league, let that settle in.

Can he be a productive QB on a talented team? Sure. Could he someday be a "Rypien?" Sure. Is this a talented team? Nope. Will it be anytime soon? Nope.

Kirk Cousins is the control on a science project, he's the placebo in a drug test, starting him 16 games will have no effect on this team good or bad.

Of the three, assuming Rob will be what he was against Detroit for 16 games, I agree Kirk should be the starter, if only for the infinitesimal upside, but create a thread about it? Like it would really matter? Not so sure.

I swear Kirk Cousins has done more for you guys riding pine than Rob ever has on the field. I guess now is a good a time as any for you guys to gloat....with threads like this.

6-10 here we come! WOOHOO!!! GO KIRK GO!!!

The other point I'd argue as is that if we use Cousins, we can develop a more traditional style playbook, which would make it easier to find an eventual replacement in the draft if he does not perform well enough.

If we try and cater our offense to Griffin's unique abilities, we limit our ability to run it once he is inevitabley injured and a less physically gifted back up is forced to run it. It also severly narrows the amount of candidates we can target for drafting purposes because how likely are we to find the next Rg3 in a later draft? The more we cater the offense to RG3, the less likely someone else is to be able to come in and run it at the same or higher level

Scott Mitchell probably grabs a tub of vaseline and locks the bathroom door thinking about the chance(s) Kirk has had since January 2013 to win the job outright and/or AT WORST improve his worth in the sport. HE'S DONE NEITHER. EVER. If he didn't take over the job last year when Griff dislocated his ankle, he's never gonna do it. He's in a QB battle with Colt McCoy at the moment in now his fourth year in the league, let that settle in.

Kirk Cousins is the control on a science project, he's the placebo in a drug test, starting him 16 games will have no effect on this team good or bad.

If Cousins is the control, then it allows you to test LITERALLY EVERY other variable/position and determine how effective it is lol. That's what people use placebos for

Also the fact that you dont know our GMs name undermines your argument a little bit

What you and others haven't realized yet is that Kirk Cousins is just a bust of another stripe, he just hasn't been given as many snaps to prove it to you. He's a middle-of-the-road QB who isn't gonna do enough ever ON HIS OWN, ON HIS TALENT to win games that matter.

Can he be a productive QB on a talented team? Sure. Could he someday be a "Rypien?" Sure. Is this a talented team? Nope. Will it be anytime soon? Nope.

Of the three, assuming Rob will be what he was against Detroit for 16 games, I agree Kirk should be the starter, if only for the infinitesimal upside, but create a thread about it? Like it would really matter? Not so sure.

I swear Kirk Cousins has done more for you guys riding pine than Rob ever has on the field. I guess now is a good a time as any for you guys to gloat....with threads like this.

6-10 here we come! WOOHOO!!! GO KIRK GO!!!

Pretty smug and dismissive after a guy has had 9 starts on a very unbalanced team which tells me you have no knowledge of how many picks some the leagues great QBs threw in their first couple of seasons.  Believe what you wish.  But if you haven't figured out Griffin is a bust by now you'll get another lesson Saturday when Baltimore stones the clueless one again.

Cousins might be quality and might not but I think the glass is half full and will be very interested in how he does in the next couple of years with his next franchise.  I think someone will let play for and win the starting job and he'll succeed.  Griffin?  Maybe he'll be on the Baylor coaching staff in a couple of seasons.

I don't know if I want to see 16 games but I think you give Robert 2 games and if the offense doesn't put some points up than you trade him away or cut him prior to week 6 and get rid of the drama that goes with him.  Let Cousins start 14 games and obviously at least the first handful will be very meaningful games to the team so they players should still be at a point they are trying their best to win games unlike late in the year when they give up.  They need to move on early and when they do they need to get RG3 off this team ASAP.

Good OL = play Griffin; bad OL = Cousins. 

So I guess it's Cousins.

And your basing this off 2 preseason games of limited action?  You do realize Moses has very limited expierence and Scherff if a rookie right? lol  Give them time to gel.  RG3 will probably break his legs getting out of bed anyway so Cousins will be starting by week 3 I'm sure.

Cousins might be quality

"Cousins might be quality"......been hearing this ad nauseum EVEN BEFORE 2012. At first it was benevolent but it was never treated and has slowly and steadily grown malignant.....a steady drumbeat behind every mistake or bad turn of chance.

"Cousins might be quality....Cousins might be quality......Cousins might be quality"

The glass has always been half empty for A LOT of people with Griffin from jumpstreet and they're JUST DYING for Kirk to hit the coup de gras BUT HE CAN'T, he just can't do it.

As dumb and bleeding heart as we Griffin supporters are AT LEAST we can hang our hats on ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS. He's killing our defense of him now but that NFC East banner still waves high, still will when's he's back down in Baylor.

50 years from now Kirk will have long retired and you'll be rocking back and forth on your front porch saying.....

"Cousins might be quality."

I reluctantly am in agreement.

I think RG3 is not very good. Listening to Cooley this week explain the "Willie Smith" play, and indicating not only did RG3 call the wrong protection based on what he saw,, he TOTALLY called it wrong. Without getting too into it, if you didn't hear the explanation, basically Robert slid his line protection the opposite way, and didn't realize that when he did it, his back was on the wrong side to pick up the free runner. Even Smith saw it, and started to tap his butt to try and signal to the back that he was going to have to get all the way to the other side to block the free man, which he obviously did not.

It's such a fundamental thing,, it goes beyond pocket awareness and speaks to completely not getting the entire concept of the position he has to play.

the play he got hurt...  it's a 3rd and 16.. we ran 5 receivers out,, two went beyond the marker..  the Lions dropped 6 deep and negated both of them. There were three underneath guys wide open, and Robert decides to tuck and run into a defense that was waiting for him.

the play was not going to break, it was not going to get a first down unless something happens. 
So dump it off, take the 7 or 8 yards and punt.
But he runs.. subjects himself to a hit when he will get the same yardage as the dump off.

(and fumbles)

Off the field,,, I don't care about twitter and facebook and all the other stuff that sends our ninny media off in a tizzy,, but when he throws teammates under the bus it's not good,, when he fails to take responsibility for his own mistakes and lets teammates get killed for it... not good.

I think he's broken, i think the relationship with the coach and his teammates is broken.

I think Cousins has a problem in that he has too long a memory. He doesn't move past bad plays.
So he needs to have his concentration worked on.

Knowledge of the offense seems sound.

Knowng the position of quarterback seems sound.

If all that needs fixing is his psyche... compared to ALL the problems RG needs fixed.. it's a no brainer.

If we want to win, RG3 can't start.

Of the other two, I'll take Cousins to develop.

~Bang

I believe that if there were an actual open QB competition that this would happen.  Cousins is a much better equipped QB for THIS particular style offense.  You can easily make the claim that Jay Gruden doesn't know WTF he's doing and I might agree with you but seeing is believing.  I don't think that RGIII's talents are being used correctly so you either figure out a way to use him like Kyle Shannahan did or you move on.

Cousins will most likely be on a new team next year (barring injury to the existing starter).  His services will be sought after by plenty of teams and I could see the Skins drafting Scot's guy in the 1st or 2nd round 2016.

That said, I'd love to really see what Cousins can do for 16 games with the full support of the coaching staff and front office.

If Mike Shanahan is correct then we might regret letting him go without giving him a real chance to play and show what he's got.

Mike Shanahan sure was correct on a lot of stuff here. I totally regret him leaving.

My take is very simple here...

I've been one saying "In Scot we trust". However, unlike many of those who say it, I don't put some idiotic caveat in it going "EXCEPT when it comes to Griffin".

It's really this simple. I believe Scot has control of the football operations right now and is the one with the long term plan in mind. What happens now I believe is tied to that.

If he believes out of the three QBs we have, Griffin is the most likely to have a shot at being the future Franchise QB, then I'm 100% behind rolling with Griffin.  If he feels Cousins is that guy, I'd be 100% behind him rolling with him.

Similarly, if he DOESN'T feel like any of the three are capable of being our future franchise guy, then I'm absolutely fine with him putting down the edict that they aren't going to start save for injury.

As it stands now, it appears that he believes Robert has the best chance of reaching that potential. Will he reach it? Hard to say, we'll have to wait and find out. But if Clou has evaluated the three QBs, determined the only one he thinks has franchise potential is Griffin, then I'm all in with starting Griffin as long as possible and letting Clou see if he is going to need to find a new QB next year or not.

I think if McCloughan felt that Cousins could be that guy that we would've saw an actual competition this off season as opposed to installing Robert as the undisputed #1 shortly after Clou came on board.

As dumb and bleeding heart as we Griffin supporters are AT LEAST we can hang our hats on ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS. He's killing our defense of him now but that NFC East banner still waves high, still will when's he's back down in Baylor.

Can't take 2012 away from Griffin but unfortunatley we dont run that offense anymore.  He has not shown any success or ability to transition into the current offense scheme while both of his backups have proven they can run it effectively.

Our GM is looking at this with fresh eyes that start with the QB play of this season in this offense.

The biggest strike for Cousins in my book is that the NFL has spoken. For two off seasons, the Redskins let it be known that Kirk was on the trading block. Do you see who's getting picked up as a starter around the league?

No GM thinks Cousins is a starter. If they did they would jump to claim him for a third or fourth. A fourth rounder for a starting QB I. A cheap rookie contract! That's better than gold.

I think if McCloughan felt that Cousins could be that guy that we would've saw an actual competition this off season as opposed to installing Robert as the undisputed #1 shortly after Clou came on board.

I'm curious to see if his opinion has changed or how flexible he will be if things start going south early.

For example, let's say they start 2-6 and Griffin just doesn't look good, will he stay with Griffin the entire year or will he want to see if Cousins has improved and let him go the last 8 games ?

It's a very delicate situation because if Griffin is pulled that effectively closes the chapter on him.

But then if you commit to Griffin for the entire year you pretty much close the book on Cousins as well. Of course if you have already made up your mind on Cousins then it's all a moot point.

But the fact that Cousins is coming off the bench against Baltimore tells me he is their #2 right now. If they were planning on cutting him loose after this year I would have thought McCoy would be penciled in at #2.

To my untrained eye Cousins just looks so much more comfortable in the pocket than Griffin and looks like he can run the offense that Gruden wants to run. For my own edification I would really love to know the analysis that SM (and to a lesser extent JG) uses that tells them Cousins is not the guy.

2013 was about Griffin and we watched him play 13 games in the heavy brace.  2014 was about Griffin also and McCoy who played pretty well was yanked as soon as Griffin was cleared to play and proceeded to play as poorly as in 2013 so he was benched.  2015 has thus far been about Griffin and we've seen the results, he's no better than in 2014.  Why squander another season turning this road apple into a rose?

56838589.jpg

I don't understand why Kirk wasn't given an open competition this year. He has shown flashes of brilliance. After the jags and eagles games I thought we had the second coming of Brady. Then the next week happened and the next. In all fairness he deserved a shot. The man has only had about half of a season and that isn't nearly enough to get a complete idea of how good or bad he can be. Manning threw a lot of picks his first 16 games and look at him now. Interceptions can be cured with time and chemistry in the system. Interceptions are part of the game and to be expected. It is also up to the receiver to be comfortable with the qb and the system. In my opinion the best thing we could have done for griffin was to give kirk a shot at the leading man. He deserves at least a shot. Let the best man win.

I think the third preseason game will be telling. If they hold Griffin out due to concussion symptoms or if he starts and bombs once again, I think the Cousins train will definitely pick up steam. Even more so if cousins starts the game and leads the first team offense to TDs.

Can't take 2012 away from Griffin but unfortunatley we dont run that offense anymore.

Agree, and so we are ****** in terms of this year, until they improve either the position or the rest of the team, whichever comes first.

Cousins can run this offense all day but it's not gonna matter, all I'm saying. I like Kirk but have NO EXPECTATIONS for him and THIS roster.

Ultimately I think 2012 can be recaptured for Griff, where? how? I don't know but I believe it's still there to be had by somebody. You're telling me it's not happening b/c Griff is butt-hurt or Gruden doesn't want to implement it? This offense could be around 9-, 10-win good but isn't b/c of attitudinal reasons? Only the Skins, ONLY the Skins.

The biggest strike for Cousins in my book is that the NFL has spoken. For two off seasons, the Redskins let it be known that Kirk was on the trading block. Do you see who's getting picked up as a starter around the league?

No GM thinks Cousins is a starter. If they did they would jump to claim him for a third or fourth. A fourth rounder for a starting QB I. A cheap rookie contract! That's better than gold.

You have no idea what teams were interested in Cousins unless you are Dan Snyder.  We will all find out who is interested when he signs a nice FA deal with another team.  The #8 Jersey is going to be available because Cousins is going to move on to another franchise that will give him a shot.

Archived