Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you believe Jay Gruden will be successful as our Head Coach?

Diehard Otis

Do you believe Jay Gruden as Head Coach of The Washington Redskins will be successful?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Jay Gruden will become a successful Head Coach in DC?

• Yes! He is our saviour!
    • Sure. I believe he will succeed eventually.
    • Well, he is our Coach. Therefore, I want to see him do good.
    • I've got some doubts about him.
    • The fat boy is an idiot! I can't wait to run him outta town!
    • I reserve the right to answer until after I see how it goes this season

Don't think anyone would be angry, Otis, I'm sure not. 

And nice mea culpa---you wear big boy pants, amigo.  :)

And just so you know if it matters,  I know your posting and have never viewed you as any kind of "problem poster." 

You fit in here just fine. My criticisms were detached and specific to this matter as stated. And the thread is still going.  :)

-Sure, I believe he will succeed eventually.

So far this year I think Jay has done a great job of adjusting to the job.  I think his handling of the media (in regards to RG3) has improved, and I believe he is smart enough to keep learning and growing.  I like that he has brought in teachers to help him work with the youth.  That will lean towards him being successful regardless of who decided to bring the help.

He took the job, so I'm not saying he is a victim be any means, but it's a tough situation to inherit if the franchise QB isn't panning out.  He did not make the decision to draft him, and usually the new HC gets to move on from a guy after (or before) year 2 if he's not sold.  This is drastically different, so he's going to have to make it work.

I believe the fact that he didn't has something to do with the 5 year guaranteed contract Gruden got.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if they told him he had to play it out with RG3, he probably saw a quick yanking of the HC to make the fans happy.  He would at least get his money if that was to happen.

I think he is not a savior, but rather can be a solid HC that could compete for a Superbowl, if he has a quality GM bringing him players that fit what he wants to do.  He now has that going for him, and from what I understand they are of like minds in the football world.

I have seen nothing to make me believe that he won't make more mistakes, but I like that he is willing to correct them.

I also like having his brother Jon available to work with his back-up (future starting) QB in the off-season as a bonus.  

I haven't made up my mind yet

Full disclosure...i wasn't too enamored with the hiring to begin with, but i want to give any/everyone the opportunity to succeed before i jump to conclusions.

Ultimately, i feel it's way too early to start passing judgements on anything other than which players are likely to make the roster. I feel that people keep rushing to make wide ranging statements on what we see from preseason only to have the regular season completely blast you with a ton of surprise.

The things you think will go wrong seem less of a factor as the other things you believe will go right that disastrously blow up in our faces.

Gruden falls in this category for me. I just don't know what to make if him yet for several reasons:

1) there's really not a whole lot of info to go on with which to form a confident conclusion.

2) most everything he's doing from a managerial standpoint is completely different from last year. He's hired a boatload of position coaches, & has begun to delegate most of his operations. We have yet to see how any of this works during the season, & if it doesn't...how well/poorly he handles the inevitable meltdown.

3) he seems much better with the press, & i hope his example carries over to the rest of the team. Ultimately, the true mark of a good coach is how well his philosophy, & leadership is carried throughout the team. When a HC manages to successfully spread those things throughout the team, it inevitably winds up in results on the field.

Things i want to see...

I want to see an indentity evolve before our eyes. It's been a while since we've had a true identity that us fans can get behind. For today, i want to see this more than i really care about W/L record.

I want to see improvement in all facets...even if it's incremental. I want to see some semblance of congruency between all the various working parts throughout the team.

Most of all...i want to see less of what the Redskins have been, & more of what successful teams display consistently.

We either see that, or don't....then i'll let you know what i think about Gruden.

In terms of offense.. i think he's got some really good ideas, and i think he CAN succeed,, at least as an offensive coordinator.

Remains to be seen on if he can be a head coach.. too many things factor against new coaches... especially here.

~Bang

Will feel a bit lonely on this kind of poll, but I don't really care.

The fact is I believe that Jay will succeed here, and by succeed I mean bringing in a competent, and competitive team that can go into the playoffs in a year or two, with Scott's help, obviously. GM is highly tied to a team success as well.

Was he perfect in his first year? Definately not. Still, he made some nice moves this offseason by bringing guys like Callahan, Perry Fewell, Matt Cavanaugh. The Coaches overhaul have been done nicely to me, and seems quite qualified. Sure there's still question marks. But you never succeed without taking any gamble. And as Scott said it more than once, choosing the coaching staff is on Jay. So far, so good to me. Will Joe Barry be good? Wait and see, but he's been given good tools to work with this year.

Not gonna complain about his rant on RG3 last year, as after the benching, RG3 did play a bit better than before, ie: job done by the coach to get the player back on track. So he can motivate guys and have them play for him.

Heck we're discussing a guy that managed to get rid of Jim Haslett without creating too much drama in DC. Great point for him here again.

I see more upsides with him, than without right now. Considering where was this team when he took it, we've already gone a long way with him at the helm.

I just don't think Jay adjusts to reality.  He just wants to throw, and throw a lot. The team is built for running, and if we ran more I bet he'd get many more wins.  He just won't do it, it's not him and he won't change, he's Jay and it doesn't matter who the QB is or what their strengths are.

I think the team and he will struggle again this year and be let go during or at the end of next year's season.  I don't think he has the tools and is a bit in over his head.

Hoping that SM changes the culture but it will take time.  Things often become toxic around here... Lately RG seems to be at the center of things going that direction.  Losing adds to it.  I really think that the longer SM is here and the more he is able to put his types of guys in place (including QB and head coach) the better off the organization will be.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jay goes somewhere else and has success as a coordinator but doubt he will be a HC again.  

I'll wait and see how the season plays out.  Gruden wasn't my guy.  He was not even my top 3 choice.  I wanted Whisenhunt. I thought he was a good veteran coach that got the most out of the Cardinals when they were injured after their SB appearance. He reminded me in a way of Gibbs as to how he could get the most out of his players without being a Zorn rah, rah type of guy.

Watching the Titans game last night and hearing the FOX announcers talk about his quotes when they talked to him during the week, made me feel like that could have been us.  I think he has the Titans trending in the right direction. KW was my first choice when we were looking for a coach. 

But like others, I've been willing to give him the benfit of doubt.  I think at least 3 years is in order.

I think the team and he will struggle again this year and be let go during or at the end of next year's season.  I don't think he has the tools and is a bit in over his head.

Hoping that SM changes the culture but it will take time.  Things often become toxic around here... Lately RG seems to be at the center of things going that direction.  Losing adds to it.  I really think that the longer SM is here and the more he is able to put his types of guys in place (including QB and head coach) the better off the organization will be.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jay goes somewhere else and has success as a coordinator but doubt he will be a HC again.  

While I'm not in full agreement, I think this is one of the more reasonable, well-grounded, and succinct summations I've read on this topic.

This is what I should go with:

Given the choices, the only thing even mildly worth intelligent interest IMV will be seeing how many don't pick the more negative options of the poor choices, as I'd hardly think we need a poll to know Jay has very little support here.

Honestly, I didn't even want to click on the thread. I mean, never mind the insanity here when it comes to Jay, in general, but the context in which this poll was made, lol. Right after that last preseason game... yeeaaaahh, we'll certainly get a lot of rational thinking here.

I'm with you, let this go and see how it turns out for now. Bang may have single-handedly saved this thread. 

Which I'm sure is not what most folks who don't like Jay (which is most folks) would want to claim as their position (even if it's true).

This one never ceases to amaze me. And I know I'm going to be labeled here on one "side" by saying this, I'm sure... but their utterly contradictory and hypocritical stance here is just too much. Especially when they go on the attack when someone is criticizing Robert too harshly in their minds. Their first go-to is to say something about Robert being a Redskin and, therefore, should generate support on that alone. 

Which is wonderful. Until you see how willing they are to tear up other Redskins in the process, especially the coaches, lol. Mind-blowing. 

At least be consistent. Support all Redskins, don't criticize too harshly. Give the same benefit of the doubt you would extend to one guy, to the others. Otherwise, your bias outpaces any objectivity you think you're lending to the discussion.   

Ha. Jim Zorn 2.0?

He can't use Robert correctly. He can't get any of the other 2 QBs to work his "magical" offense (barely worked w. Dalton).

He publicly threw Robert under the bus (unhead of) and going into year 2, we look like we're headed for the same thing.

Unless there's some improvement this year. HE'S GOT TO GO. Let SM do the process and pick his guy. Gruden was not his guy and was just another dumb tampa connection hire.

Huge doubts -- not necessarily with him as a football mind, but the situation he's in and how he's handled it so far.  It's looking like it's getting worse -- the QB situation that is -- it could be his undoing. 

I ****ing hate it -- I'm so over Griffin and the QB situation in general.  I don't even want to hear or watch a thing anymore.

I say "No" he will not be successful -- but, as always the blame can be spread.  Won't all be on him.

I don't hate the guy, but I really think he was the wrong hire if we insisted on keeping/developing Griffin. Though any coach deserves at least 2 years, I really wish Scott would have just fired Gruden and brought in his own guy. Maybe the guys he wants haven't become available yet, but Gruden getting the axe seems inevitable. Hopefully I'm wrong

Sir my Redskinsness will not permit me to make a statement...Tanya Snyder can't rap!!

/judging this skit out of context may lead some to believe that it has offensive language..ie. not safe for work...still I believe this skit holds a mirror up to society/ourselves and shows the selfish ignorance perpetrated by everyone

Had to go with the doubts... and I started to feel it last year after we beat the Cowboys. I guess Gruden had no idea how difficult thru out Redskins history it is to beat Dallas IN Dallas. I would have bet any money that McCoy wouldn't even had a slight chance against a team that went on to win 12-4. I don't give a rats petunia how well Griff felt for the Tampa game... McCoy EARNED it and should have played it. Put Griff in the following week, but no... probably his worst game as a Redskin... nada. I think there are about 3 positions that are holding us back for now... the QB, WR (Garcon), and yes... the coach.

Had to go with the doubts... and I started to feel it last year after we beat the Cowboys. I guess Gruden had no idea how difficult thru out Redskins history it is to beat Dallas IN Dallas. I would have bet any money that McCoy wouldn't even had a slight chance against a team that went on to win 12-4.

i actually bet and won..I never bet on my team..for or against..but last year I bet on them two or three times..ended up 2 for 3..not bad

I'm in the majority here.

Some of the stuff he does is definitely head scratching material.  You have to be real special to last in DC otherwise you get chewed up and spit out.  it appears Mr jay has a junkyard dog attached to his rear end and it's about chewed off.

Archived