Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

nfl.com:Orakpo: I wouldn't mind playing for Cowboys (MET)

Cowboy8467

I didn't see this posted anywhere and I was wondering what 'Skins fans thought about the prospect of him going to their rival? I know his numbers have dropped off a bit but the Cowboys are pretty thin along their defensive line. 

Brian Orakpo possesses the talent to be a top-tier pass rusher. Three pectoral injuries have punctured holes in that trajectory and could end his run with the Washington Redskins.

After missing nine games in 2014 and only earning .5 a sack -- following a 10-sack 2013 campaign -- the 28-year-old linebacker will hit the open market for the first time in his six-year career.

Visiting NFL Network's NFLAM on Friday, Orakpo said he'd like to remain with the Redskins, but, as always, it'll come down to dinero.

"Obviously a window is still there," he said. "Sides are still talking but it's very minimal right now as far as, you know, it's always numbers. Numbers have to make sense for both sides, and I understand, me coming off injury, they have to look out for themselves and also I have to look out for myself. If we can come up with something that works for both sides, who knows?"

And if money weren't part of the equation, where would he want to play?

"Man, that's a good question. I've never answered a question like that," he said hesitating. "I mean, I don't know. It would either have to be one of the Texas teams, since I'm from Texas, obviously, or I love playing for the Redskins. The media over there, the fans, it's great man, it's a great thing. Even if I'm done playing with the Redskins, I hope those guys can turn it around and really win for those fans and that whole market out there, because it's great for football."

While the pass rusher spoke warmly about the Redskins organization, NBC4's Diana Russini reported that according to sources with the team, "he will not be back."

If that report rings true, Orakpo will need to find a new home. The pass rusher wouldn't rule outRedskins rival, the Dallas Cowboys.

"I wouldn't mind it, I wouldn't mind it," he said of switching allegiances. "I mean, I know it's been a big rivalry for years, but I'm a Texas boy man, so I wouldn't mind it."

He also said he "wouldn't mind" playing on a half a dozen other teams that he was peppered with.

Sitting at No. 22 on Around The NFL's Top 101 Free Agents list, Orakpo could see interest from teams in need of pass rushers like the Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476862/article/orakpo-if-i-cant-stay-with-skins-wouldnt-mind-playing-for-boys

I didn't see this posted anywhere and I was wondering what 'Skins fans thought about the prospect of him going to their rival? I know his numbers have dropped off a bit but the Cowboys are pretty thin along their defensive line. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476862/article/orakpo-if-i-cant-stay-with-skins-wouldnt-mind-playing-for-boys

See ya ORInjuryPO....HTTR

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him struggle to get past Trent Williams with his one move, the bull rush. Not a bust for us, but never lived up to the hype or the high draft pick. Best of luck to him if he doesn't re-sign.

He's from Texas so it would stand to reason he'd like to be closer to home.  So what.

I remember when he was drafted, I was really stoked to have him.  He's had bad luck with injuries.  When healthy, his overall play during his Redskin career he's just been slightly above average at the LB position.  A bit one dimensional.

I don't think he'll be back, but I wish him luck regards.

Good for him. Who cares?

I won't be cheering for him in Dallas, even though I like the guy. Kinda like DeMarcus Ware... I always appreciated him from a distance, but couldn't say it until he went to Denver.

Like mentioned above.

Like the guy.

Can't root for him if he goes to a division rival.

Time to move on and the best thing he can do for the organization at this point is sign a lucrative deal with the hope it nets us a compensatory pick next year.

He grew up in Texas so I get it. Closer to home for him and probably raised as a Cowboys fan.

Honestly, I fail to notice any difference with our defense when he is in the game or not. I just don't see what some people on here see in him. Not worth the a lucrative contract. But wish him the best.

I was a little on the fence with him until he said the part about it coming down to dinero.

Now i've fallen to the 'I could care less' side. 

Was he put in out-of-position spots? Was he mis-used? Maybe, maybe not. 

It would be a much different and strange looking NFL if players were all on a pay-per-play type salary; if Orakpo would take such a contract on, where he gets bonus pay for sacks, picks, big plays, etc, without the big up front salary, i'd look at him in a different light, as well as many other players, and we all would be seeing players busting their asses out there for 60 minutes, not taking a game off.

FA has ruined the game so much and for so long it has clouded the minds of the younger crowd, because all they see is a 'promising' prospect coming out of college, or a player who had a good year, then fall flat on their faces and end up out of the league in a few years. 

My has football changed...

SIC

He really didn't say anything suggesting he would want to play for Dallas (specifically).  He made it clear he is a Texas boy and wouldn't mind playing for any of the texas teams.......or anyone else for that matter (was asked about Jacksonville, Bears, Patriots, Raiders, Redskins, Cowboys,etc).

He also said he would like to come back to the Redskins organization, spoke of the organization, the area, and the fanbase.

As to the money part, everyone wants to be paid the best they possibly can, he only said it needs to make sense.  Don't think he is returning here and wish him the best (unless it is for any team in NFC East).

HTTR!!!!

Orakpo came out of college with a lot of hype but has been hurt too much to give him a big time contract. Plus I highly doubt he would get much of a contract with the "girls" anyway. If they can't sign Dez Bryant to a big time contract or give Murray a big contract then they won't give OhurtPo a big contract. So good luck in your future endeavors.

Never had anything bad to say about Rak. But, nothing good either. I just don't know why players can't recognize that crap like this does matter. You played 6 years as a Skin, you know the fans, why even go there.

It wasn't that inflammatory, but rubbed me wrong way for a guy I never really got excited for anyway. So, bye bye Rak and if you go to Dallas I'll go from hardly liking you to despising you.

He grew up in Texas so I get it. Closer to home for him and probably raised as a Cowboys fan.

Honestly, I fail to notice any difference with our defense when he is in the game or not. I just don't see what some people on here see in him. Not worth the a lucrative contract. But wish him the best.

I remember back in 2009 when he was drafted that he said he really disliked the Pokes.

"Brian let out a chuckle and then said that he “never was a Cowboys fan” since he was from Houston."

Good luck to him.

I don't even think Rak is in top 5 edge rushers and given depth of draft of edge rushers its gonna be interesting to see what he gets offered.

Might have a Brady Quinn moment. I could see him not getting a lot of interest coming off injury. 

Archived