Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JOE BARRY AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TK

not just a terrible hire IMHO its a TURRRRRRIBLE hire; i hope this guy proves me wrong! Gruden i think is writing a 1 way ticket out the door; then again hes secure here; theres no big names left to hire; he may just be calkling and begging his brother in a few years to join the staff just to save his job.....J Barry!? C' mon mannnnnn this guy has no credentials to be a DC other than being apart of jons super bowl coaching staff.......hopefully 4 years from now i will be regretting that i said this and will be like dang i was wrong

So I take it you guys would have preferred that Haslett stayed?

No. Just on principle, Haslett doesn't deserve a DC job.

But how is Barry going to command respect with his record? This screams one year rental before completely overhauling the coaching staff in 2016.

Bill Callahan will be a solid interim coach after the bye.

Someone needs to tell Bruce when Raheem advised him to run Tampa 2 it means a defensive scheme not to literally recreate the team Tampa 2.. SMDH

This team is a bad joke, even worse than my bad jokes!

Your jokes may be bad, but your signature is hilarious.

The poll on the top of that thread is all kinds of awesome, Haslett leading Fangio and others as most wanted DC to replace Barry

Barry is either majorly inept or (Message board) Charger fans are as dumb as a box of rocks. Could possibly be a combo of both.

Apparently these Charger fans have not watched a Redskins game or looked at Haz's stats.

Tell me we did not hire a 4-3 guy to run our 3-4.

At least he isn't Dan's son in law. We got that going for us. Which is nice.

Wait. He did get a DC job as the coaches son in law, and was in our old band, The Tampa Twosome. 

It seems like we are running an NFL coaching school, between Gruden McVay and now Barry. Admission Fee is an old Tampa 2 backstage pass.

Like usual we are in wait and see mode but the more inexperienced we get at key coaching positions, the more likely 15 looks to get ugly. QB coaches, experience not needed, need not even apply. 

does anyone from the Redskins organization read this forum?  Please ... PLEASE have a team official specifically address exactly why the Redskins leadership and head coach believe that Joe Barry is going to be good ... especially in light of his past performance as a DC.

I'm PISSED!  I couldn't be the only Redskins fan who is.  I'd bet I'm in a very strong majority.  Sit back silent and risk losing your fan base.

I say we end up with a top 10 defense next year and we wipe egg off our faces. What else can we hope for? Let's see what he comes up with before throwing stones.

At least we have a legitimate GM in place and one hell off an OL coach in Callahan. Barry just might turn out okay.

OK, so on the surface I'm all WHAT THE ****?!!! WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS CONSTANT INEPTITUDE?

And then the optimist in me says that finishing anywhere from 31 on up is better than I expect.

So, I'm figuring the only way I can even begin to view next season with any sort of hope or, hell, INTEREST..  is to expect to be the worst. Dead last across the board. First pick 2016. Dead last in defense, give up 500 or more points.

So anything better than that will be like cake.. we finish 31st in every category and only give up 499 pints, I will throw a PARTY.

The optimist in me needs a kick in the ass. He's getting annoying.

I'm really beginning to question why i bother.. a fan of 50 years. This team makes bad move after bad move and caps it all off with more bad moves. And the worst part is that even when they make a good move, they follow it with such a bad move as to negate the positive.

we have a GM who can spot talent and give it to literally the worst defensive coordinator they could find. No exaggeration Tjhe worst resumé in pro football and we ****ing hire him.

How many more years to clean up the mess he's going to make?

Sorry,, no optimism here. No hope in this guy. None. Zip Zilcha Nada Zero.

Anyone who wants to whine that 'they know more about football than me'..  OK, fine,,  so when the **** are they going to prove it?

Even me, who has never played a single down of football beyond my teenage years, who has never coached a single game,, even if I coached us last year, I'd only have been 4 games worse assuming the team never got a single lucky bounce that fluked out a win.

Even ME who has never put together a single football team, who has never been the GM of a pack of football CARDS.. even I could throw a dart at a list of names and NOT hit the WORST ****ING DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN THE NFL and CFL COMBINED. The leader of the ONLY 0-16 defense EVER. 
Other teams look for guys with super bowl experience. We target failures of historic proportion.

Biggest bunch of ****ing losers in the NFL, and continuing to prove why they are losers at nearly every single turn. 

It's one thing to not have skill. It's one thing to try and fall short due to lack of ability.

it's another thing entirely to be STUPID.

I hereby call on any and every realtor in the area. If Joe Barry walks into your office, suggest he RENT. SHORT TERM.
And then suggest he do it in BUFFALO.

~****!

I'm really beginning to question why i bother.. a fan of 50 years. This team makes bad move after bad move and caps it all off with more bad moves. And the worst part is that even when they make a good move, they follow it with such a bad move as to negate the positive.

we have a GM who can spot talent and give it to literally the worst defensive coordinator they could find. No exaggeration Tjhe worst resumé in pro football and we ****ing hire him.

How many more years to clean up the mess he's going to make?

You've just got to keep telling yourself that after every dark night there's a bright day. I can't say that I'm excited about the hire, but I definitely understand going with somebody you know and trust over somebody else. Everybody says that the other guys have better resumes but even with Gregg Williams's defense here we sucked as a team, and he couldn't get teams off the field, and couldn't create turnovers - same problems as today. Maybe Joe Barry will work, maybe it won't. But if it doesn't, then we hire a new coach and DC and start again.

But I don't see the problem with Barry going with his guys. And as far as the Lions part on his resume and working under Matt Millen, I wonder if Jay and other teams look at that similar to when other coaches come here for work for a few years, like "yeah your team sucked, but you were in a hostile environment that wasn't coherent to winning".

I didn't get excited about the Scot hire and I'm not getting upset about the Joe hire. Both are meh in my opinion and I'm willing to let the Wizards, Capitals and Nationals carry me through this stretch of my favorite franchise sucking historically.

I said in the other thread about Barry how this feels like a "comfort" hire by Gruden more than anything else and so be it. If Gruden truly thinks this guy has evolved as a coach and thinks he deserves another shot at a DC position, then we're going to have to trust it and hope for the best. I do stand by my feeling that Gruden hired him more for the fact that he knows him well and trusts him more than for the fact that he truly believes he was the best/most qualified candidate, but we're not the only team hiring friends/cronies. John Elway just hired his pal, Gary Kubiak, to be the Broncos HC. Let's just see how this plays out, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. The worse thing that can happen is that we suck and the coaching staff gets fired after next season, leaving McCloughan free to hire his hand picked HC in 2016.

Another day, another disappointing decision made by the illustrious head coach of our favorite well-run organization.

I am not sure we should expect anything different from this team which seems to be doing its best to become a full time clown car.

I just think Jay Gruden, realizing that he and his golden parachute are in way over his head, just said "Screw it, let's get some money for my friends".

He's gotta know his tenure is similar in length to that of a soft cooked egg.

My hope is that McCloughan is giving him ample rope to hang himself, and will tolerate his ineptitude up until the point he cans him.

The $64,000 questions really are....

What's the draft going to look like, and will the McCloughan hire REALLY not blow up in our face?

To be honest the Redskins, ahem, "brain trust" is looking more and more like Wile E. Coyote.

Well damn, this is a helluva welcome for the guy. As much as I love a good Bang rant, especially when he lets it all go and starts foaming at the mouth, it really might be just a tad early for this. I am more than willing to revisit this angstfest later, say Halloween, and dial up my inner berserker psychopath to add some wit but c'mon kids, already? The guys plane lands in a cloud of spears and poison darts?

Sheesh

I'm underwhelmed, really, I am not some Prozac Pollyanna here, but let's see what happens.

Joe! Welcome to the nuthut, you've got your work cut out forya and you see what's waiting if you fall on your ass (and take the D with you), better lace up your running shoes and wear a steel jock, you don't even get a walk down the aisle before the honeymoon's over.

I know Scot said he was staying out of this and it was the HC's call, but if it was anywhere near as bad as the rant-n-rave crowd claim, don't you think he'd at least mention it?

Fangio didn't turn the offer down, there was never an offer made to him. Joe was hired well before Fangio was interviewed. That Fangio interview was in place just to throw everyone off of the rumor that the Redskins had hired Joe in the first place. This hire was done a week ago. If you think differently, you think exactly as the Redskins want you to think.

Gruden's quotes makes this seem likely to be true.

I'll give Barry the benefit of the doubt.  He is a Redskin now. However, the way they wrote around his Detroit experience trying to make it sound like it was successful puts everything else in the presser in doubt.

This is a scary pick. It's really all or nothing. I have nothing against going for the hot position coach or someone you think might be the next "it"  In fact, I kind of prefer it over retreads. This choice seems strange.  I don't think anyone's been talking about San Diego as one of the stalwart defenses or how masterful a job SD has been... although there was talk early in the season that SD was a surprise team doing better than people thought.

Last thought for this post, there's nothing better than a good redemption story.  Go get 'em, Barry!

Well, I guess it'll be a 'wait-n-see' thing, but I won't be holding my breath.

I AM glad Haslett is gone, don't get me wrong, but I just do not see this as being much of an upgrade; Detroit wasn't exactly scaring anyone with his defense, but maybe its a stop-gap until they find someone else.

But then again, maybe Gruden is a stop gap as well. How difficult can it be to do an extensive long term search for a diamond in the rough coach? Seems the hirings of coaching/FO personnel only extends to a 'friends list' on an iphone.

Yet, I sit and wait, because every coach deserves a chance to prove me wrong, but if it doesn't work out, I just hope it doesn't take an act of congress to fire incompetence, i.e.; Haslett.

Archived