Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME JOE BARRY AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TK

Context means nothing, never look at the whole picture.

Barry may not pan out, I have no idea, I am not excited about this hire. But the over reaction is pretty bad.

Why do we want to be an evaluation team for coaches and DCs.  We have a 2nd year coach, a recovering drunk for a GM, and now a DC whose one prior stint as DC was a cluster****.

Would it have killed us to go with someone established with a proven track record?

Why do we want to be an evaluation team for coaches and DCs.  We have a 2nd year coach, a recovering drunk for a GM, and now a DC whose one prior stint as DC was a cluster****.

Would it have killed us to go with someone established with a proven track record?

Im not super excited about the hire myself, but have to give the guy a chance. 7 of the 11 starters on that Lions defense were completely out of football within 2 years. Were no good players on that team. Its also been suggested that Barry was the DC in name only, Rod ran it.

That last part may not be true, for sure. But if it is, combined with the horrible players they had, its not insane to think he can improve upon that. Especially since that was about 7 years ago and coaches do get better. Thats why I say context is important and why Im not jumping off the deep end. Let him prove himself here.

Keim on the retweet adds credibility to who is otherwise the Keim of Chicago, with 27K followers. 

I feel the tweet is about as believable as any other. We clearly want Morris around.

If you were a stud DC, would you take a job if your assistant was forced upon you, and whose players had mind boggling gaffes almost weekly, where a player was completely uncovered deep? 

Morris has red flags all over him, his days as quality control in Tampa, aside.  What new DC would want him - someone else qualified than him, sure.

Keim on the retweet adds credibility to who is otherwise the Keim of Chicago, with 27K followers. 

I feel the tweet is about as believable as any other. We clearly want Morris around.

If you were a stud DC, would you take a job if your assistant was forced upon you, and whose players had mind boggling gaffes almost weekly, where a player was completely uncovered deep? 

Morris has red flags all over him, his days as quality control in Tampa, aside.  What new DC would want him - someone else qualified than him, sure.

That's a whole other issue.  Morris has had pretty disappointing results, so why do we cling to him?

I don't know,,   you tell me we let Fangio walk because he wanted to replace another coach who has proven to be a failure here, and we decide to keep the failure and then hire another proven failure...   

I do not see being why it is over-reacting to be thoroughly disgusted and completely unins[pired by what appears by every indication to be a completely idiotic move. (By an organization with a history of idiotic  backfires)

I'll give him his chance,, meaning I'll be tuned in like every other Sunday.

But I am not expecting anything except the failure he has proven to be capable of.

If he doesn't fail, well, i guess i would just have to be a crow-eating know-it-all... along with pretty much everyone else who never bothered to even call him in for an interview for the job we have given him.

I am going to throw a rock in a pond.

I can bet it won't sink.

But if i go by every other rock i've seen thrown into a pond, i'm not going to be so stupid as to bet that this time it will float.

So why are the Redskins assuming that abject failure can suddenly be transformed into success? When has it ever happened? When has a coach who has controlled such an abysmal squad and produced such horrible results gone on and turned it around someplace else?

Is it overreacting to think that playing the LONGEST of long shots is STUPID? Especially when you had the opportunity to make a play that is NOT such a long shot?

~Bang

Detroit defense ranked where when he was DC?  Yeah, I want me some of that.

He has been coaching more than those two years though. Is a person's grade in class determined only by their two worse assignments? What about your job, are you constantly denied promotion because you had a bad progress report twice?

He has been coaching more than those two years though. Is a person's grade in class determined only by their two worse assignments? What about your job, are you constantly denied promotion because you had a bad progress report twice?

If they were filling my job, you can bet your ass that they would not replace me with someone who has only shown inability to do my job, especially when there are other, better candidates available.

And, can you honestly tell me that Barry just happened to be Jay and Bruce's buddy in addition to being a great choice? 

What are the odds?

We are all stuck giving the guy the benefit because we have no other choice.

That was also 7 years ago. He's been in the league for 15 years. He's been stuck as a linebackers coach, and is he even better than Brian Baker (Who was released) at that job?

Here's a thought experiment. What if Dallas, the Eagles, or the Giants made this hire? Almost everyone on this forum would be laughing at them. We try to polish it because it happened to us.

I have a degree in Communications with a minor in Journalism and it makes me want to "throw up" with the state of reporting in this day and age.  Walter Cronkite and Glenn Brenner are rolling over in their graves as we speak.

... I blame Dan Rather and his take on "news and commentary" ... he never made a clear distinction between them making his personal opinion sound substantially like factual "news."  In a cruel joke I guess it's slightly better now ... I can tell the difference these days ... it's all commentary 90% of the time.  Facts are so rare they stand out like a beacon in the dark.

What if you analyze the situation and come to the conclusion that they let competent coaches walk to keep a bad one and hire the worst one?

~Bang

Problem is, it is hard to come to that conclusion without proper information.  Did they let a competent coach walk?  Not according to the HC.  Fangio took the job he wanted.  Had he wanted to be here, he'd be here.  Did he not come here because the Redskins want to keep an assistant?  Various reports out there, but there seems to be more saying no, the incoming DC could bring in whoever he wanted.  Hell, there isn't even anything out there that says Morris is staying.

As far as hiring the "worst" one, to be honest, we don't know that.  The only thing we have are two years in Detroit, running what was likely the head coach's defense, with a bunch of players whom most of them were out of the NFL after 2 years.  We know it won't be that defense because that defense was a 4-3 and they've already said it will stay a 3-4.

So, no certainly that we've improved there, but that would likely be true no matter who we hired.  Fact is, we've brought in many coaches with long and impressive resumes, but it hasn't translated into success.  You can make all the "impressive" moves you want, but it still needs to be proved out on the playing field.

Attention folks...this all one way or the other stuff really dumbs things down. You don't have to be optimistic, or give a benefit of the doubt or look for a silver lining in this or any other matter. With our history, it would be hard for most folks to go very far, if at all, in those directions.

However, the logical alternative to that is NOT to assume the worst, and then state it as fact, and then do that fifty (or more) times a week, month in and month out.

Is that really beyond so many poster's comprehension? I don't think so. I think it's more about why you're here and what "need" you're serving.

(I hesitate to add that the new, still-incomplete, staff has yet to hit even the practice field. Remember, last year's "massively effed up" staff won one more game than (and I hesitate to repeat this) their SB winning predecessor & his crew, even after the starting QB was injured again.)

I guess you're right about the 2 worst performances as a DC.  Lets use his two best performances as a DC instead.  That seems fair.  His two best performances as a DC were the worst defense in the league ... followed by a defense that was actually worse than the one he had the previous season ... and also the worst defense in the league.

I'll get desperate optimistic closer to the season ... until then its best to not keep all this bad feeling inside

Gruden was the one when he came onboard to praise Haslett like he was some kind of coaching "guru" to him. He said he will rely on him to give him clues and that he expected Haslett to prevent him from screwing things up. He praised and defended Haslett.

"I know a lot of offensive coaches that have a lot of respect for what coach Haslett brings, and how difficult it is to go against them. I’m one of those guys.” "Gruden also said he wanted to keep the staff intact to maintain continuity in their system." link

According to Keim he let Fangio and Donatell go because he wanted to keep his buddy Morris !..........

To me he has not much credibility concerning the coaching search process.

I agree with this completely. Morris is the Defensive Backs coach. I don't know what the controversy is about. I have no idea why there is this speculation on whether more changes are coming on the defensive staff. The Redskins have the worst secondary in the NFL, the most confused secondary in the NFL despite having 2 former pro bowl players at safety. Yet both players appeared to be confused in the Redskins scheme. Can't blame 2 different players for that when they didn't appear confused when they were with New England and Pittsburg. Morris could have been fired 3 weeks ago...but he wasn't. WHY? Because he is Gruden's and Allen's hand picked buddy. Raheem Morris IS the secondary coach on this team and is not going anywhere. 

P.S. (unfortunately!)

I guess you're right about the 2 worst performances as a DC.  Lets use his two best performances as a DC instead.  That seems fair.  His two best performances as a DC were the worst defense in the league ... followed by a defense that was actually worse than the one he had the previous season ... and also the worst defense in the league.

I'll get desperate optimistic closer to the season ... until then its best to not keep all this bad feeling inside

You win. I have nothing to prove to you.

I'm out.

Or, how about you rate him on his last assignment?  See if he knows his stuff to do the job?  Ask him what he's learned from his past experiences?

Just because I failed at doing something doesn't mean no one is ever going to give me another opportunity.

Or, how about you rate him on his last assignment?  See if he knows his stuff to do the job?  Ask him what he's learned from his past experiences?

Just because I failed at doing something doesn't mean no one is ever going to give me another opportunity.

He's a good LB coach based on his last assignment.  Not stellar but decent.  It's possible he could be a great DC.  Its not plausible however.  If he was the only candidate ... or the most qualified candidate ... but I find it hard to believe that he was the most qualified candidate ... but since Gruden thinks he is as implied by his hiring decision ... I'd at least like to hear Gruden explain his decision and I'd really like that explanation to include some football coaching factors, and proven demonstrated capabiliites.  If being a good LB coach is all that matters ... we already had one on the staff.  Olivetti was also a good LB coach.

I'm not burning my Redskins stuff ... I'm not running off to be another BS Cowboys fan.  I'm sick of the Redskins sucking ... and I'm not convinced that this decision is going to help change that.  I'll give him time ... as my only alternative is to swear off the NFL or go all cowgirl ... I'm hopeful ... I am not impressed and I am not optimistic.  I'm willing to be convinced by his performance but I don't want to suffer through more amateur hour nonsense posing as Redskins games.

Valid point, but why is it always US?  Zorn, Gruden, Haslett, Morris, Barry?  Even Spurrier was a disaster.

Let some other team evaluate him in a new role for once.....

I too would have preferred  Phillips or Schwartz but for reasons unknown to us they chose  him. Here's hopin they are right  and with our new GM and him getting us some new and better players that the defensive play improves.  Is that  hoping and wishing for too much ?

I wouldn't dream of speaking for some of you, but there are a few folks out there just like me. We have opinions about this team, we HATE some of the decisions that are made in the offseason, we love some other decisions, we pick who we want in the draft and post over and over in hopes somebody is listening, and we complain about what we think are stupid decisions...but in the end and come August 1 when the Camp comes and the staff and players are all complete and we have what we have.....we will be positive and support OUR team. We will believe once again that the playoffs is a near sure thing because every team is 0-0 starting out fresh. We will watch pre season and project even our backups as potential Superstars......but here is the reality check: the FIRST GAME OF 2015.

Until that first game is played...everyone is allowed their opinion, griping, optimism, etc There are no experts here on football just as there are really no experts on the Redskins coaching staff until they prove something. I said Jim Haslett should have been gone last season, Bruce Allen and Gruden said no. So does that make me smarter than them since they learned a bit late? I don't have the answer to that but THEY are in charge...I am not. So I sit here and will accept whatever they do because I have no choice because the Skins are my team and I will not agree with everything, but I will root for them forever. The rest about whose decisions are smarter than whose and who pays the price........I will let Dan Snyder worry about that after each season.

They kept Haz for 5 years. He didn't even deserve the first but he got FIVE!!!

Snyder would've been smart to fire everybody from Bruce Allen on down as soon as he brought up the possiblilty of keeping Haz after firing Shanahan and Son because the guy just has no excuse for being the DC in the first place.

Yea your right but the reason I will be shocked if he's here more then a year is he's coming into a buzz saw of a situation

First year head coach with bad results

If the 2nd year isn't better then Snyder will want to replace him right? Seems logical. So if that happens then why would Joe Barry not be replaced by the next head coaches pick of Defensive Coordinator? I think me thinking Joe Barry's not here more then a single year is actually me saying I think Jay Gruden isn't here for a third year more so then what ever happens with Joe Barry at this point. If Jay is gone, this guy is gone too.

Maybe that is why they went in this direction, I can't see a possible lame duck coach being an attractive landing spot for too many people

Archived