Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What this team needs is a great defense

Sanka

Enough of this RG3 this or that.

Russell Wilson was just kicking back in the super bowl not asked to do much, hell he didn't even win the super bowl mvp ..first time a qb haven't won that since 2005. 

If we had the seahawks defense we will be going places..but some of us still think our qb has to be lights out for us to win the big one. You know you are damn good if you shut down the top offensive team to only 8 pts

This is why I was so outraged that we kept haslett and raheem morris , they are horrible coaches and we'll never have a good defense while we have those two bums coaching our defense.

Everyone called me crazy, everyone said I need to not jump off the ledge but they'll be in agreement with me by week 10 when we see our defense get absolutely destroyed like usual and we see haslett look at his playcall sheet and look up confused like usual lmao 

I dont know if that's the formula.

Seahawks d was great, but how often does the best D win?

Rules benefit the o generally theses days.

Hawks were just a better team today .

The defense has a lot to do with winning in this league. Rules or not Seattle and SF were in the NFC championship game for a reason and that was defense. Why dont you ask Rogers, Brees, Manning about what happens when you play defensive teams.

Defense in the NFL is about 3 things

1) Harassing the passer via the front 4 and pass rush

2) Having physical DB's who can jam at the LOS and inside the 5 yard touch zone and disrupt routes

3) Is able to create turnovers

Seattle has all of that, which really disrupts the best of passing attacks.

We are light years away from that right now

We keep pretending like the NFL is a passing league now.  In a way, yes, teams pass more.  Which has made a good defense ALL the more neccessary.  3 of the last 4 NFL winners have been great defensive teams, even IN this "passing" age.  

And yet we are stuck with Jim Haslett.  Way to go Bruce...

Enough of this RG3 this or that.

Russell Wilson was just kicking back in the super bowl not asked to do much, hell he didn't even win the super bowl mvp ..first time a qb haven't won that since 2005. 

If we had the seahawks defense we will be going places..but some of us still think our qb has to be lights out for us to win the big one. You know you are damn good if you shut down the top offensive team to only 8 pts

Right this second, RG3 DOES have to be lights out. We are nowhere near the level the Seahawks are at defensively, nor do I think we will ever be. As much as it pains me to admit, they have one of the best defenses I have ever seen, period. They don't just force teams to be one-dimensional, they shut down both aspects of the offense. That dominant of a defense doesn't come along often.

IMO, if we fill just a couple of holes this offseason (DT, ILB, S), I think we can have a serviceable defense capable of giving RG3 more support than what he had this past season.

Special Teams is what I am more worried about.....

First of all, our defense is going nowhere with Haslett at the helm. We will be bottom third. Second, the Seahawks was homegrown. We let all of our homegrown defensive players go. Rodgers, Landry, etc. gone. So yeah, we are **** on defense.

Would Griffin look even better than Wilson? Yes.

Does anyone in DC, including Snyder, have the patience to build a completely dominant defense from the ground up? Absolutely not.

We are better building and offense that can out score anyone.

Springfield is spot on regarding BUILDING.

Seattle's D was largely built thru the draft. They have a couple solid FAs, guys like Avril and Clemons(former Skin, ugh)but by and large they are homegrown.

You have to commit to the draft and invest in talent wisely. Only utilize FA when it's to get that last one or two pieces OR if you're getting a really good value. FA should NEVER be used to build a team. If you use FA to acquire core, cornerstone players, you're doing it wrong. FA is for that last piece to put you over the hump.

Disagree.  It became apparent pretty quickly that what the Broncos needed was a QB who could scramble around and make a play like Russel, or Roethlesberger, or um, RG3.

Carrol's defense completely broke what Peyton does and THAT is impressive.  We should have known, Carrol does a hell of a job shutting down non-mobile QBs.  

Anyway, of course you need a good defense.  But this one was kind of the exception to the rule.  You said it yourself, first non-QB MVP in nearly a decade.

Disagree. It became apparent pretty quickly that what the Broncos needed was a QB who could scramble around and make a play like Russel, or Roethlesberger, or um, RG3.

Carrol's defense completely broke what Peyton does and THAT is impressive. We should have known, Carrol does a hell of a job shutting down non-mobile QBs.

Anyway, of course you need a good defense. But this one was kind of the exception to the rule. You said it yourself, first non-QB MVP in nearly a decade.

Heh.

Griffin, on this team, would have two broken knees tonight. A mobile QB would be decimated... just like SF was. This is the best defensive team in the Super Bowl in years in my opinion. Better than Ray Lewis' Ravens.

Griffin would fold against this team.

Our defense needs a back 4 like seattle for sure. I think Hall still has some gas left in the tank and should be like a 2mil a year guy. We need 3 other dbs for sure. Perhaps David Amerson can emerge and get better in year 2. He was a better corner last year than dee millner who went in the top 10.

There is no one sure fire route to the Super Bowl.   Every team is in it's own unique situation and has to be built in their own way.

Some teams become mediocre just as fast as they got great.

Something people need to realize is that teams like the Seahawks and 49ers right now are benefiting from a lot of players still making peanuts due to being on their rookie contracts.  Seattle won at the right time because if they hadn't, they might have had to endure the experience of a mass exodus over the next couple of seasons with nothing to show for it.

You quite simply can't keep that much big-name talent on one team in the NFL anymore unless you have a good number of 1st/2nd/3rd year players that are playing at an elite level but are still on that first NFL contract.

The key is drafting well, scouting well. Drafting the best possible players and then using FA to fill the gaps.  

Of course we do. Next year Denver, New Orleans or Green Bay will win it and we'll hear that to win the Super Bowl what we "need" is a stable of great receivers.

There is truth in that sarcasm but at the same time I'm not sure what you're really saying ... That we should focus on receivers? That defense is overrated? What?

Perhaps the three best teams in the NFL right now might be Seattle.  Frisco and Carolina.  All built the same way. 

Dual threat quarterbacks with great defenses.

Moral of story:  Skins need to go all in on defense this off season.

Also, I think we are seeing a changing of the guard in th NFL.

That antitidote to great defense is a dual  threat QB to threaten them. 

Note to Rams.  You think Bradford can beat the defenses in your division.

Clowney may be the pick.  You might want to consider Manziel or Bridgewater.

Frisco and Seattle gonna be good for a long time.  Rams may never see playoffs!

Heh.

Griffin, on this team, would have two broken knees tonight. A mobile QB would be decimated... just like SF was. This is the best defensive team in the Super Bowl in years in my opinion. Better than Ray Lewis' Ravens.

Griffin would fold against this team.

eh.  nah.  It would be a matter of him making the right plays and protecting himself and all that.  I'm not talking mobile in the sense that he can run for first downs and take hits.  I mean that Seattle breaks whatever timing-passing offense you've got.  Scramble around - quickly make the throw.  Like Wilson does.  

I'm not going to say he would fold.  He would have to be very good, but Peyton and his non-mobility didn't stand a chance. 

Archived