Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What this team needs is a great defense

Sanka

Wouldn't matter if we had Seattle's defense...still miss the playoffs with a 6-10 record. Would be a repeat of the 2004 season. 

Last season. when our defense showed up, how many games did we win? 1 game..if any. And yes...our clown defense showed up enough to give us a chance at a handful of games...which didn't translate to a victory. If weeks 1-4 was excluded, our defense would be ranked 9th. A surprising stat that goes unnoticed.

ssshhhhhh........don't ruin it for anyone who thinks our O was actually fine last year.....

We've got to use our weapons effectively! We have Brandon Jenkins and Rob Jackson just sitting on the bench!!

They should be in a deep rotation with Kerrigan and Rak  mix and matching combinations to throw opposing offensive lines off! Haz has one more shot to get this right and we'll see if it was him or Shanny messing up the defense.

While I won't argue that our defense needs to improve tremendously, we don't have to get to the elite status to get to the Super Bowl. Like all of us here I was pissed when we retained Haslett, but call me stupid I will put my faith in him one more time. What else can we do at this point? We need to resign Hall, Orakpo and Riley. Make a strong push for a good secondary player, hopefully Jairus Byrd or Altraun Verner can be snagged. I would then say our 2nd, 3rd, and at least 2 more picks should be spent on our defense. It won't be right away, but with a few more pieces we can be a middle tier defense.

With a top 5 offense and a middle of the pack defense, I believe that can be good enough to win the big game. We already have a top 5 offense the past 2 years and now we have an offensive minded coach who should bring us even more success. Another point to add: If the Broncos would've won, would you have started a thread that we need to get 2 or 3 more good wide receivers to be good?

Having great lines is really the key that Snyder never seems to get. Great line play on both sides of the ball can cover up marginal talent in the back and on the sides far better than the other way around, yet this team is continually trying to get better in those spots. If we devoted a huge chunk of our time to getting better on offensive and defensive lines, we'll be a better team. It's not flash that wins in the NFL, its substance. Being able to get pressure with just four is huge. Keeping pressure from your own QB is just as important. It's really the key. Hard to believe this team still doesn't get it.

although what you say is true, this past year we needed safeties. Seattle has great safeties that allow their corners to gamble. We have great gambling safeties that had to contain and that hurts them. I really like Hall and Amerson. Reed is a solid guy in the box, but that's not what fits our system.

Well they just showed the outcome of #1 scoring Offense vs #1 Defense in the Superbowl. It's happened 5 times and the #1 Defensive ranked team has won 4 - 1,

I intended to come in here and write this word-for-word. Nice.

When you're an upper echelon D, it makes your potentially mediocre offense much, much better because of consistently superior field position. Plus, forcing 3 and outs exhausts opposing defenses. Yeah, having a top-ranked D is a huge luxury that covers a multitude of flaws.

We are better building and offense that can out score anyone.

If it didn't work for the 2001 Rams, the 2007 Pats or the 2013 Broncos (really, most of Peyton's career), it's not going to work for us.

Record-breaking offenses with weak defense is great until you play the top 5% of what the league has to offer.

Great insight, thanks for following up on my rather basic did they play zone??? post.  So they sapped Peyton's presnap read. Can't beat their rubs, then don't try and run right into it over and over and over. Brilliant, keep it simple stupid.

Lessor DCs seem hell bent on changing things up far too much and I think confuse their own DBs more than QBs. Or just keep doing the exact same thing that is not working because that is what they game planned for, or some crap. 

Seattle runs an extremely basic defense because their talent on that side of the ball is so superior. 

Their formula on D is extremely simple. Richard Sherman locks down his guy. Get pressure with 4 pass rushers and no blitzing. Keep everything in front of a 1 deep or 3 deep zone. Hit the receiver as soon as he touches the ball.

Denver's offense is built on getting the defense to guess and hitting open men where they guess wrong. It's also built around a ton of screens. Well, Seattle eats screens alive because they rarely blitz, they play zone, and their players don't over-commit. Denver seemed to run 5 WR screens where one WR had to block two guys for the play to work. And it did not work shockingly.

I think just scrapping what we have to try to copy the Seahawks would be a mistake.

There is nothing to copy. If we ran Seattle's defense with our talent from last year, we would give up 60 points a game.

The strength of their scheme is they can run different defenses from the exact same pre-snap look.

Carroll and Quinn deserve credit because a big part of their success on defense is because of scheme. Although they show basic looks what they do within those basic looks is unique and complex.

Every team cannot run the exact same defensive concepts. But, if Haslett was Quinn our defense would have been better.

Maybe they wouldn't have been able to generate pressure without blitzing but who knows? And maybe they could manufacture pressure through fire zones blitz.

Its all moot though because Haslett isn't Quinn.

One thing is certain in my eyes we need to generate more pressure from our DL.

Disagree.  It became apparent pretty quickly that what the Broncos needed was a QB who could scramble around and make a play like Russel, or Roethlesberger, or um, RG3.

Carrol's defense completely broke what Peyton does and THAT is impressive.  We should have known, Carrol does a hell of a job shutting down non-mobile QBs.  

Anyway, of course you need a good defense.  But this one was kind of the exception to the rule.  You said it yourself, first non-QB MVP in nearly a decade.

Keep this is mind....   2 -3 years ago this same Pete Carrol who does a hell of a job shutting down non-mobile QBs lost to a Rex Grossman led Redskins team.  Even with a "12th Man" on their side, they couldn't stop Sexy Rexy.

Its not Carrol, it's not their scheme... its all their f*cking good luck they got drafting these guys.

The strength of their scheme is they can run different defenses from the exact same pre-snap look.

Carroll and Quinn deserve credit because a big part of their success on defense is because of scheme. Although they show basic looks what they do within those basic looks is unique and complex.. But, if Haslett was Quinn our defense would have been better.

The strength of their scheme is that they create pressure from a 4 man rush. Its nothing special. Its not a superior scheme. If Quinn was Haslett we would be just as bad off. You know why? Because 90% of why their defense works is because they create pressure without blitzing. They have physical CBs that knock the receivers off their routes and cover long enough for the rush to get home. The all-world safeties are just the icing on the cake. You wanna know why they have a good defense? Because they invest in it. Lets stop pretending that Seattle's scheme is somehow better than ours and admit that when we were drafting Cousins, Lerib, Gettis, Robinson, Hank, RG3, Morris, Helu, Royster and Compton they were drafting their entire secondary and entire linebacker corps. 

Defense in the NFL is about 3 things

1) Harassing the passer via the front 4 and pass rush

2) Having physical DB's who can jam at the LOS and inside the 5 yard touch zone and disrupt routes

3) Is able to create turnovers

Seattle has all of that, which really disrupts the best of passing attacks.

We are light years away from that right now

Re-sign our guys and add a solid corner, DE and possibly ILB, along with perhaps a stopgap safety (and ILB it we don't pick up a younger starter) and I think this D can take a big step forward.

Cut down on the quick passing game with an upgrade at corner, improve the interior rush (and outside rush by extension) and the turnovers will come.

It is agreed by most here that we need a good defense.

That is like saying a one armed paper hanger needs another arm though ain't it??

Keep this is mind....   2 -3 years ago this same Pete Carrol who does a hell of a job shutting down non-mobile QBs lost to a Rex Grossman led Redskins team.  Even with a "12th Man" on their side, they couldn't stop Sexy Rexy.

Its not Carrol, it's not their scheme... its all their f*cking good luck they got drafting these guys.

Not to mention that they get over on the testing and have a good number of players juicing too.

Like they say "Cheaters never win, but if you ain't cheating you ain't trying to win."

Archived