Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What this team needs is a great defense

Sanka

Seattle defense has some elite guys like Sherman, Earl Thomas mixed in with 7th rounders and undrafted players.  They play with so much passion and intensity that all their players feed off each other.  Every tackle is a crunching gang tackle with 5 defenders.  I don't see any of that with the Skins.  I don't know if it's the players, the scheme, the coaches.  I hope it changes soon

Another example defenses win championships even with a pedestrian QB performance. It's like a house, you start building it with rock solid foundations that will hold it together. Despite the talent of their secondary I still think that the PEDs they are on are an important key to their success.

"Carroll: 'We were tuned in and focused'"

Adderall effects: heightened sense of motivation, focus, and concentration.

In 2015 they'll have to pay all of those cheap late round picks.

Maybe the old adage that D wins championships has its roots in officials letting the guys play in the big game.

More than that, is a DC not getting a 7 point lead and then backing the corners off, like Haslett does. Seattle stayed foot on the neck tight man throughout. Got pressure on Peyton, his facial expressions were priceless and told the entire story. He was uncomfortable and was not gifted countless space for him and his receivers. 

I wish we kept Clemons. Its not just defense wins, retaining good players also "wins"

This game also showed the importance of an oline.  Peyton couldn't be Peyton under duress and all those whining about how ineffective RGIII was should look at Manning barely able to get a first down in the first half of the game or launch a pass that traveled more than six feet beyond the line of scrimmage.

Fix the oline.  Fix the D.

This is why I was so outraged that we kept haslett and raheem morris , they are horrible coaches and we'll never have a good defense while we have those two bums coaching our defense.

Everyone called me crazy, everyone said I need to not jump off the ledge but they'll be in agreement with me by week 10 when we see our defense get absolutely destroyed like usual and we see haslett look at his playcall sheet and look up confused like usual lmao

Morris is a good coach.

Every Superbowl a thread pops up saying we need to copy what the winner did. 

Back when the QB position was lacking here and Brady and Rodgers and Brees won Superbowls it was all about how we have to find a franchise QB. Now that Seattle win, now we need a great D. But really teams win with great QBs and ok defenses, they win with great defenses and ok QBs.

What we NEED is for either elite QB play and an ok defense, or elite defense and ok QB play. In today's NFL it is very hard to have both sides of the ball be elite, so one of them needs to be top 5 and the other middle of the pack or better. We can have an elite offense with RG3 and the D has shown it can be halfway decent. Heck, until RG3 hurt himself vs. Seattle this team looked like it was on it's way to the big game itself.

No need to drool over other teams and burn all resources trying to copy them. Build on what you have, and what we have is an amazing talent at QB, talent on O, and a HC with O as his specialty. Remember, RG3 was whooping Seattle until he got hurt. Defenses can be great, but can be beaten, they aren't the end all be all to success, they're simply one path of several.

Defense in the NFL is about 3 things

1) Harassing the passer via the front 4 and pass rush

2) Having physical DB's who can jam at the LOS and inside the 5 yard touch zone and disrupt routes

3) Is able to create turnovers

Seattle has all of that, which really disrupts the best of passing attacks.

We are light years away from that right now

If we get a disruptive 3 tech we will be 1000x better. Our DBS don't need to be 6"3, just physical

Every Superbowl a thread pops up saying we need to copy what the winner did.

Back when the QB position was lacking here and Brady and Rodgers and Brees won Superbowls it was all about how we have to find a franchise QB. Now that Seattle win, now we need a great D. But really teams win with great QBs and ok defenses, they win with great defenses and ok QBs.

What we NEED is for either elite QB play and an ok defense, or elite defense and ok QB play. In today's NFL it is very hard to have both sides of the ball be elite, so one of them needs to be top 5 and the other middle of the pack or better. We can have an elite offense with RG3 and the D has shown it can be halfway decent. Heck, until RG3 hurt himself vs. Seattle this team looked like it was on it's way to the big game itself.

No need to drool over other teams and burn all resources trying to copy them. Build on what you have, and what we have is an amazing talent at QB, talent on O, and a HC with O as his specialty. Remember, RG3 was whooping Seattle until he got hurt. Defenses can be great, but can be beaten, they aren't the end all be all to success, they're simply one path of several.

We just need solid interior line and WR play and our offense will be a lot better. Defensively, we need to get some more pressure with 4 guys. Plain and simple. That is what it will take to be a contender again. That and competent tackling and special teams.

How about Broadway Joe "The Kissing Bandit" Nameth showing up in his fur and flipping the coin before the call of heads or tails. Mind boggling they let him back out into the national spotlight. They couldn't find anyone else with less risk to screw up?

It was awesome seeing a DC not going prevent, keeping the foot on flustered phil daniels shoutout Peyton's neck.

Calling aggressive D throughout the game just seems so rare yet anytime I see a team do it, it works. Just like the Skins did to make the playoffs. Without our superstar Rak to boot.

Denver conversely coaching scared kicks short and gets burned for a back breaker TD to open the 2nd half. Priceless blunder.

The defense has a lot to do with winning in this league. Rules or not Seattle and SF were in the NFC championship game for a reason and that was defense. Why dont you ask Rogers, Brees, Manning about what happens when you play defensive teams.

of course it does. i'm saying that defenses like the seahawks today are like the 85 bears and the 2000 ravens. nobody is beating those teams. (the way the seahawks D played today and at times this year. not saying overall they are as dominant as those D's)

Yes, our defense has sucked for quite some time, and it is the main reason we have a crappy football team.  

i disagree. 

i think we've been crappy because we havent had a really good QB (for more than a season or two) in 20 years. 

Man, I am so glad that someone found the formula for winning. I never would have thought that a great defense would be what this team needs. I always thought that we go after high priced, washed up FA's and draft middle of the road players to fill in the gaps. Thank you for clearing tht up genuis.

of course it does. i'm saying that defenses like the seahawks today are like the 85 bears and the 2000 ravens. nobody is beating those teams. 

i disagree. 

i think we've been crappy because we havent had a really good QB (for more than a season or two) in 20 years. 

What I saw yesterday is how pathetic a great qb can be made to look without protection.  Griffin isn't Manning or in his class yet, but even with his lightning delivery, experience, and and knowedge of the game he looked pretty bad out there.  He made Scott Brunnell look a daring Brett Farve.  Yes, we need improved qb play, but for that to happen we also need much better line play.

Man, I am so glad that someone found the formula for winning. I never would have thought that a great defense would be what this team needs. I always thought that we go after high priced, washed up FA's and draft middle of the road players to fill in the gaps. Thank you for clearing tht up genuis.

ok, thats kinda what i was saying :)

I think the Redskins defense could be pretty damn good, regardless of coaching, in 2014 if:

1. Re-sign Orakpo, Baker, Hall and Riley (as far as starters)

2. Sign DE Lamarr Houston, CB Walter Thurmond and FS Michael Mitchell

3. Draft an ILB in the 2nd/3rd, Draft a CB in the 4th/5th, Draft a NT in the 4th/5th

Get a RG, RT and WR via FA and draft, and roll with what you've got on offense (which is actually quite good and would have been more than enough with a competent Defense and ST in 2013).

Build the defense with young guys. Trade back in the draft and get as many mid-round picks as you can, and spend them on guys you think are as close as possible to what Seattle and Carolina have. That's your best shot.

We have the franchise QB, franchise RB, franchise LT and franchise WR. Yes, we could get better on offense, but look where all those weapons got Denver last night. Build the defense, folks.

If we have a good pass rush and get some sure tacklers/hitters in our secondary, we will have a good defense. Obviously, scheme is a factor, but if you don't have sure tacklers and guys that knock the snot out of people, scheme is irrelevant. Nothing gets the opposing offenses attention more than sure tacklers that are going to lay the wood to them down in and down out.

How much zone did Seattle play yesterday... none? While they got some pressure on Peyton he usually throws faster than any teams rush can get to him.  DC's far too often coach afraid and don't do the obvious.

Play tight man. It seems so simple yet time and time again we see almost all DC's just let Peyton throw uncontested tosses to Welker. 

You can over think it and say "we can't run man because of Josh Wilson" or "Madieu sucks" but I call bunk. We made a nice run with those guys into the playoffs.  I think making those players play passive is far worse than letting them play aggressive.

Its not defense that wins championships, it's more aggressive defenses prevent teams from scoring.  For the offense still has to not make mistakes, and score points, to actually win.

I enjoy the annual "This just happened in the Super Bowl so I have a great idea: Let's do what just happened in the Super Bowl" thread.

It's always fun.

I would've never guessed we could use a great defense. I guess if the Broncos won, "we could use a great offense". Geniuses on here!

I've been yearning for a Seahawks/Panthers defense all year. Those guys come to play. I really don't see the harm. Look who the top 3 teams in the NFL were this year (outside of Denver) ... Seahawks, 49ers, Panthes. All had petty good offenses, but also had dominating defenses. All year we heard about how much weaker the AFC was than the NFC ... great offenses and sub-par defenses.

Last year, same deal with the Ravens. Pretty solid offense, but a really good, physical defense.

We have the mobile QB (theme with those 3 NFC teams), a strong running game, and weapons at WR/TE. We are a decent RG and RT away from being there on offense. What we need is a stout defense. That's where I want the money/draft picks to go this year

Archived