Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1912 8th Grade Exam

The Evil Genius

True story:

My great grandfather came to this country and became a successful business owner. After briefly serving in WWI, my grandfather wanted to go to college. My great grandfather was absolutely opposed to the idea - a college education was a fanciful waste of time. My grandfather's military service counted for college credits, and he given a college diploma after just one year and was hired as a high school principal.

1912's rules of good health probably include "Smoke fresh tobacco" and "Distill your own whiskey"

Even if their bodies weren't it good shape, their minds seemed to be if this was your average 8th grade exam. 

It wasn't, of course.

Everytime I try to get out they just pull me back in. :)

I suspect that this is just another version of this test debunked by Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

Pointing out that Snopes doesn't say that it isn't a real test. It says that, even it it is a real test, it doesn't prove the intended point.

Exactly true.   The point that people seem to take from these tests is that education has gone downhill and that everyone in the past was a combination of Sir Isaac Newton, Shakespeare and Goethe.  

WHich is utter nonsense.  

Just judging from those questions the 1912 eighth grader would have been crushed in my son's sixth grade math and science classes.

That was the point of Predicto's Snopes article.

That, even if the purported test were accurate, it doesn't prove the poster's intended point that kids are dumb, today.

Rather, it shows that these kids supposedly focused more on the difference between a predicate and an adjective and the major battles of the War of 1812. But that they paid no attention to any history outside the US, no math beyond multiplication, and no science other than the anatomy of the major organs.

It doesn't prove that today's kids are dumber. It proves that we've chosen to focus more on other things.

Ran across this from Slate.  Kinda fits here. 

This “Histomap,” created by John B. Sparks, was first printed by Rand McNally in 1931.  This giant, ambitious chart fit neatly with a trend in nonfiction book publishing of the 1920s and 1930s: the “outline,” in which large subjects (the history of the world! every school of philosophy! all of modern physics!) were distilled into a form comprehensible to the most uneducated layman.

The 5-foot-long Histomap was sold for $1 and folded into a green cover, which featured endorsements from historians and reviewers. The chart was advertised as “clear, vivid, and shorn of elaboration,” while at the same time capable of “holding you enthralled” by presenting:

"the actual picture of the march of civilization, from the mud huts of the ancients thru the monarchistic glamour of the middle ages to the living panorama of life in present day America."

Continued here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/08/12/the_1931_histomap_the_entire_history_of_the_world_distilled_into_a_single.html?wpisrc=most_viral

(See link to larger version below image.)

HistomapFinal.jpg.CROP.article920-large.

Click for enlarged version:

http://www.slate.com/features/2013/08/histomapwider.jpg

Just judging from those questions the 1912 eighth grader would have been crushed in my son's sixth grade math and science classes.

That was the point of Predicto's Snopes article.

That, even if the purported test were accurate, it doesn't prove the poster's intended point that kids are dumb, today.

Rather, it shows that these kids supposedly focused more on the difference between a predicate and an adjective and the major battles of the War of 1812. But that they paid no attention to any history outside the US, no math beyond multiplication, and no science other than the anatomy of the major organs.

It doesn't prove that today's kids are dumber. It proves that we've chosen to focus more on other things.

Just to clarify, that wasn't my intended point in the original posting of the article and exam. 

My intended point was that I doubt many current 8th graders could pass this test. But I never said it was because the current batch of 8th graders are dumb. It's because they are learning different things 100 years later.

As always, I find it amusing to see what's being taught, where and when.

:)

Archived