Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

Has can have a decent D and still be replaced at the end of the season. I think he has this season to show what he can do and he needs to show his influence versus production. We need our DC to be better than average, and I agree with previous posters saying our D is too vanilla for a 3-4.

I want a DC who out schemes and out calls an opponent. So far that hasn't been Haslett.

[/color]

Haz knew the secondary was weak. He couldn't be aggressive. Totally understand what you are saying. In any aggressive style defense, you had better have a good secondary. But to his credit, he did start having the defense moving around the LOS, blitzing more etc. after the bye.

---------- Post added May-9th-2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

[/color]

Well, after the bye, he adjusted. The defense was much more aggressive.

---------- Post added May-8th-2013 at 06:07 PM ----------

Haz knew the secondary was weak. He couldn't be aggressive. Totally understand what you are saying. In any aggressive style defense, you had better have a good secondary. But to his credit, he did start having the defense moving around the LOS, blitzing more etc. after the bye.

i understand what your saying that he was trying to protect the secondary, but it goes beyond that. Baltimore had a terrible secondary this year, and they still dialed up the pressure. This has been his thing since he has been here, not just last year....so giving a slide bc of a bad secondary this year is not accurate. The 3-4 is meant to disguise who is rushing. Sometimes all 3 downlineman drop back into zone and all 4 LBs come, sometimes all 3 downlineman and 1 or 2 LBs come from any side. My frustrations with haz's 3-4 is there is no suprise, Orakpo and Kerrigan will rush from the same spot 95% of the time never moving around or anything. The 3 down lineman will also rush and once ina while you will see another rusher. Whens the last time you saw guys moving around and rushing from different angles? When the last time orakpo and Kerrigan came from the same side? Whens the last time we dropped a lineman into a short zone and rushed the LBs? all i am saying is that we dont fool anyone with our 3-4, everyone knows who is rushing on every play.

Well, after the bye, he adjusted. The defense was much more aggressive.

---------- Post added May-8th-2013 at 06:07 PM ----------

I think that had alot to do with the supposed "mutiny" that was going on. I think players were getting tired of the vanilla defense. But, as good a job he did down the stretch, I still can't look at his whole body of work over the years and say I'm satisfied. If this were his second year with the team, I could give him a repreive. But this is his 4th season. I mean, I'm not complaining about him coming back. I do like that for once, we have continuity with coaches, but like Danny Smith, sometimes it's time to move on. He'll have to shine in my eyes to have me want him come back for year 5.

---------- Post added May-9th-2013 at 09:42 AM ----------

Has can have a decent D and still be replaced at the end of the season. I think he has this season to show what he can do and he needs to show his influence versus production. We need our DC to be better than average, and I agree with previous posters saying our D is too vanilla for a 3-4.

I want a DC who out schemes and out calls an opponent. So far that hasn't been Haslett.

Agree with the last part of your post. We have modeled our defense from the Steelers agressive 3-4 scheme. I have yet to really see that.

Very thought provoking comment there, bud! :silly:

Is it pointless because;

A. Haslett is going nowhere,

or

B. Its a dumb topic that should have not been brought up, yet you commented to build up your posts.

Actually, the overall feeling is if Haslett has a healthy defense and they struggle, there's nowhere to point the finger but Haslett.

It's pointless because a large majority of this website has pre-conceived notions of Haslett that will never change.

Some of the same people complaining he wasn't aggressive enough this year, also complained last year, but last year he was too aggressive. Those same people said they could deal with Haslett if he called every game like he called week 1'7 v Dallas, yet the NFL film analyst Greg Cossell said this was the best DC game he saw all year. Those expectations are unrealistic in my opinion. Furthermore, when MS said Haslett was extended, they took that to mean he'd be done before year's end.

In short, objectivity was lost on this subject awhile ago, so it's pointless to discuss. Countless outside unbiased sources ie Dan Graziano, and hell even Sheehan, go as far to say as Haslett performed extremely well last season in spite of his talent. While members of this site, would have you believe and have made the point before that Haslett was actually holding our talent back last year.

I could not care less about my post count, and had initially written a detailed post, that I later edited because I don't want to be involved in this infuriating discussion.

I know Haslett had injuries last year, and that should be taken into account when you factor how the defense played last year.

However, my main beef with him last year was, on top of not being creative, just how passive and safe he became before we went on that seven game winning streak, and even at parts during it. He made everything so basic to try and help the defense, but our defense would get torched. Even with our injuries, when Haslett threw up his hands and said "**** it; we're gonna blitz every down, and if we get burnt, fine" it seemed like the whole defense responded and turned up the heat.

When he was passive there was no emotion and intensity, because I don't think guys bought in. As a player you know your strengths and weaknesses. Coverage was our weakness, and so dropping the defense into coverage with no pass rush...it almost seemed like the players expected to get torched. Instead of just going out and playing and reacting, it's like you could the whole defense with visible question marks over there head.

Haz is at his best, and frankly at his most creative, when he just lets go. First half versus the Giants at home, passive, passive, passive. London and Perry go to him and basically beg him to get aggressive, they fire up the players, Haslett gets aggressive and we effectively shut their offense down in the second half. First three quarters versus Dallas on Thanksgiving Haz blitzed like nuts, Josh got burnt by Dez, then we get passive and the defense gives up points.

I think Haslett will feel a lot more comfortable having Rak and Carriker back, and hopefully our new DBs can help out. Our game plan versus the Saints look unlike anything I'd ever seen Haslett called, and I hope that's a sign of things to come. But if there's injuries, you can't just shrink back into your hole. The players can tell when you're not confident in their ability to make plays.

Good post..

I have not been a fan of Haslett. It's very well documented here. And although I won't go as far as to say I'm a fan, he did a lot to win me over last year. The beginning of the year he looked pretty bad with his calls, but as the season went on it looked like he began to figure out his personnel a bit, and put them in positions to succeed. That Dallas game in week 17 was a thing of beauty, as was week 1 vs. New Orleans. He had his moments of what I like to consider, "typical Haslett" but at the very least he earned a free pass through this season due to his performance at the end last year.

And besides that, he now has three new defensive backs to toy around with, a new OLB, a returning OLB, his captain, Perry Riley in his second full year and a integral part of his defensive line rotation back. He has more shiny toys now than he almost ever has. This year will be very telling for what Haslett can do as our defensive coordinator.

Whether you like him or not, I think it's imperative that people give him a shot through this season. He's earned that much.

I have no problem with Has and I prefer the 3-4 over the 4-3. You have to take into consideration the injuries the D had to contend with last year. Both safeties missed all season. Our best pass rusher and lineman were missed most of last season as well. I'm not making excuses for Has, but he didn't have much to work with. The front 7 will be much improved this year as will the secondary. Dhall, and his side of the field, is what always concerns me on the defensive side of the ball. Too prone to get beat by double moves and the deep ball.

I am not big on Jim Haslett because he has been given far too much credit for being a good DC when his record as a DC has been horrible since he left Pittsburg. His defenses have been in the high teens or higher year end and year out. He has opportunity after opportunity throughout the years before coming here to prove he is a good DC. I remember when the Rams played us last year and they came out after we lost to them to say that Haslett's defense was predictable. Haslett doesn't adjust to the game plan and is stubborn when it comes from altering his scheme. So he does need to finally show everyone he is a good DC by helping the Redskins win a Super Bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

I say we keep Haslett as long as he keeps doing what he did in the second half of last season. Getting Orakpo, Carriker, and Meriweather back this season, and the drafting of players like Jenkins, Amerson, Thomas, and Rambo will give Haslett even more toys to work with. I'm hoping the Redskins improve to a top 5 defense this year.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-jim-haslett-a-mad-scientist-in-second-half-of-the-season/article/2517545 Redskins' Jim Haslett a 'mad scientist' in second half of the season

"He's definitely evolved," Cofield said of Haslett, "especially since the bye week. He's been like a mad scientist. He's coming with all different kinds of blitzes. When you execute them right, it can be perfect."

He already showed us something.  Resilience after the debacle we had in our secondary last year along with all our injuries to starters.  It took awhile but we actually had a competent defense that did its job down the stretch and you can't overlook that no matter how much you hate Haslett for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen much talk about the Redskins defensive scheme on this message board, mostly offense. It seems Haslett wants to stay with the Redskins as our D coordinator and try to win a ring. Do you guys think he will remain aggressive next season and keep blitzing like he did late last season, or get more conservative with the return of Orakpo and Carriker? I hope he he continues to dial up the pressure. How do you guys want to see the Redskins play D next season? Do you like the 1 gap or 2 gap 3-4? Should we switch back to the 4-3? What say you?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/jan/6/more-coordinator-jim-haslett-and-future-redskins-d/

Given how Haslett helped steer the defense back to respectability, it would be a detriment to the organization if he did not return next season. Haslett was asked this week for his reaction to the possibility of leaving the Redskins to take a head coachingicon1.png job with another team. He would be eligible to interview after Sunday’s wild card round game against Seattle, regardless of the outcome.

“I came here to win, and I like the pieces of the puzzle now, obviously, from the first year, and I think you have an opportunity hopefully this year, but for the future, to win a couple of Super Bowls,” Haslett said.

“So as a player, as an ex-player and a coach, I’ve kind of done everything I’ve wanted to do from an individual standpoint. I made rookie of the year. I was coach of the year – all of that stuff. So,that stuff doesn’t make a difference to me. I need to get a ring. That’s the one thing I don’t have. So obviously I like the future of this club, so that kind of answers the question.”

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/072010/07252010/563926 Can change suit Redskins' 'D'? 

Switch to 3-4 defense may hold key to Redskins' fortunes

Haslett has said the Redskins' 3-4 will be comparable to Pittsburgh's and Green Bay's; both of those teams primarily run a one-gap scheme. Their defensive coordinators--Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers, respectively--both preceded Haslett as defensive coordinators for the Steelers in the 1990s.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/1/1/3824160/kamikaze-blitzing-pays-off-for-haslett-redskins Kamikaze Blitzing Pays Off For Haslett & Redskins

Before I make a final judgement I want to see what the defense looks like when we can get a good look at the Pass Rush at full strength, and how it changes the quality of the secondary.

The defense definitely did improve over the last 7 games which helped get the team to the playoffs but it was also so bad during the first 9 games that it cost the team at having a better record in the first place.  

I hope whatever in the scheme clicked was a turning point not an aberration. 

If we get the Haslett of the last half of the season, we've got an elite D-coordinator. That's all. Whatever happened between he, Raheem and Slowick at that point was a thing of beauty. As long as we have THAT, whatever that was, we're golden. We might just have one of the best defense's in the league with Orakpo in the lineup.

Before, Haslett just had Orakpo and Kerrigan rush the passer with everyone else pretty much playing a cover 3 shell. He did that every down, it seemed. But then he was forced to use the exotic blitzes you know he has in his head (due to the loss of Orakpo mainly), Raheem did an absolute amazing job rotating secondary players, and Slowik coached up guys like Rob Jackson and, suddenly, our defense was a threat to opposing offense's again.

As I've already stated in this thread, if we get that chemistry again (and there's no reason to think we won't since they're all still here in the same roles), I think we're going to see our defense become one of the better ones in the league. So long as Haslett doesn't get all comfortable again because Orakpo is back and think he can get away with disregarding all of the exotic stuff. That's the only thing that scares me right now.        

It's funny to think that Orakpo being back to full health might actually be a detriment to our team, to no fault of Orakpo's of course. 

easy 4 me to come up with one from my couch but i think a good goal for the defense is 13pts given up per game. field goal at the half, and a touchdown and field goal by the final whistle. give up more, make it up with takeaways

I've called for his head at least once, but regardless of his stats, I think he's been one of the better DC's in the league. It'd be nice to stay healthy and actually dominate at times but after the job he did last year, I wouldnt be as quick to drop the hammer on him.

I was also one that constantly called for Haslett's head in the beginning of the season. There were so many bone-headed calls like the all-out blitz on 3rd and 20 (against the eagles IIRC) when you should KNOW that its going to be a screen to McCoy.....and low and behold, he picked up something like 25 yds. So often, it just looked like he had no business being a DC. 

But in the second half of the season it looked like the players were excited that he decided to change up the game plan with more pressure. Everybody looked like they were fired up and on the same page. I can only imagine how much better it is going to be with Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, and the rookies in the mix. 

I've never understood calling and all out blitz on 3rd and 20+ yards.  If you want to blitz a CB or LBer to shake them up, by all means. But you should be playing over the top and give up a pass of less than 10 yards and make them punt.  Keep everything underneath.

If we get the Haslett of the last half of the season, we've got an elite D-coordinator. That's all. Whatever happened between he, Raheem and Slowick at that point was a thing of beauty. As long as we have THAT, whatever that was, we're golden. We might just have one of the best defense's in the league with Orakpo in the lineup.

I do want to know what the root cause of the improvement was though.  Did he allow Raheem or Fletcher to take over some of the defensive play calling?  Credit should go where it's due, and if we need to give Haslett the boot and elevate Raheem, so be it.

I've never understood calling and all out blitz on 3rd and 20+ yards.  If you want to blitz a CB or LBer to shake them up, by all means. But you should be playing over the top and give up a pass of less than 10 yards and make them punt.  Keep everything underneath.

It's one of the few times and all out blitz is the correct call..

Play deep off man, and send everyone else, QB won't have time to throw the ball further than 10 yards.  Make the tackle and you're golden.

I much prefer that to rushing 3/4 guys, and allowing a QB to sit back and make a play.

Agree with this and with the draft picks as well as returning starters/injured players he really has a chance this year to get creative and show what he can do for our defense. With our offense we don't need a dominant defense, it just can't be historically bad like it was for much of last year. With our personnel this year I think he can mix it up with the playcalling and blitz packages, disguising looks etc to be successful. Well, I hope anyway. 

easy 4 me to come up with one from my couch but i think a good goal for the defense is 13pts given up per game. field goal at the half, and a touchdown and field goal by the final whistle. give up more, make it up with takeaways

I think that's a bit unrealistic. Goals should at least be attainable lol.

If we hold teams to 18-20 points a game we should be winning a hell of a lot of games with our offense and turnover capability. 

I love how Hasletts defenses create constant turnovers, they can get the big stops at the goalline. That's the makup of a good defense, not just dominating the yardage stat. I can't forget what he did in that NO game, where he can some weapons and somehow succeeded in making Drew Brees look bad. I want to keep him around, the players believe in him so I'm going to.

I know everyone wants what Greg Williams did in 04-05 where all of the sudden out of know where he had a top 5 defense.

13 points a game would be a historically good defense. I think the least the Redskins have ever given up on a 16 game schedule was in 1991 when they gave up 224. That's 14 points a game. 

I agree that if we can keep teams from scoring 20 we win most games. I don't care how Haslett gets it done. The D allowed 21 ppg last year and won 10 games. I expect better this year. 

Archived