Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

Again. Not blaming the defense. We have good players, but we have a coach who refuses to adjust. Haslett waited until game 10 last year to adjust. He waited until Philly rolled up 33 points before he adjusted.

I love continuity on the coaching staff. I think that it is important, but I've had my fill of this joker, just like Danny Smith. Time to rethink the position.

We keep waiting to see a defense that can start out the season and be consistantly good/great throughout the season; this is not something accomplishable with Haslett, he just doesn't have that mentality. This 3-4 experiment has not shown a steady improvement, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go to a 4-3 or even a modified 4-6, but regardless, Haslett isn't the answer...

I don't know how much we can blame Haslett when we don't have great players on defense either. I would say we are lacking at every level. Even what we see as our strength, our OLB's, are flawed. Orakpo is one-dimensional and supposed to be one of our best defenders. Fletcher is old, and it shows. Our secondary is an absolute mess and we're on our backup defensive ends. I don't know how much we really expect from our d coordinator with this crew, but it honestly shouldn't be much.

The defense did NOT play well.  No phase of our team played well last night. 

True, and overall no one expected the offense to be THAT sluggish; but, the only thing the defense, and everyone else for that matter, is Chip Kelly's new fangled offense. Even Haslett acknowledged it by saying we would counter with a quick defense pkg; well, we saw how that went down.

The defense did put their hearts into it, I'm not doubting that for one minute, but there were plays where they were just caught off guard, thinking run when it was a pass and vice versa; it was like they knew exactly what was being called defensively and adjusted at the line for it.

Its a vanilla base formation which does not get adjustments until the damage is done. Its called preparation, and Haslett doesn't handle this well, if at all, more or less waiting until they run a play down our throats numerous times before even considering making a change, which usually results in 'just blitz all the time', and that crap won't fly next week with a proven QB and receiver set in GB.

Well communication and D. Hall will continue to make sure that this defense will go nowhere. Hall repeatly got burned in Quarters against Desean Jackson now if you notice that you have no back up behind you and you let your man go its your fault. Hall has cost us more games then he has won. Last year in St Louis Amendola torched him 5 times on the same play the same play i will repeat that one more time the same play,  Also lets look at his supposed shut down of dez bryant, He was injured the week before and left that game midway thru the 3rd quarter. No Miles Austin No Dez Bryant we should have won that game going away.

I have never been a huge fan of Haz....and think our D can be good, but probably not great...especially with the questions in the secondary.  The biggest thing I saw in last night's game (and I missed the first quarter and a lot of the second) was poor tackling by our defense.  Admitted McCoy is a beast for Philly, but God almighty I got tired of seeing our defenders either biting on fakes, getting juked out of their jocks, or just plain not wrapping up on tackles. 

But....this is no different from last season to a large degree.  I have never thought that our strength was our defense.  We seem to be a bend but not break defense, vice a defense that dictates to the offense what will happen.  Personnel is partly at fault here, but moreso I believe is coaching.

So....as long as our offense lights up an opponent then we will be in ball games.  And, I do not buy that Philly let off the gas last evening either.....at least not intentionally.  And, RGIII finally got into a rythm in the 3rd and 4th quarters.....but by then it was too late. 

And....Philly had some talent on both sides of the ball that Kelly inherited from Reid.  The cabinet was not bare....so besides being at 0-1, we now get to hear the mediots tout the Eagles offense, while wondering for another week if RGIII came back to soon.  Heaven help me......

torched him 5 times on the same play the same play i will repeat that one more time the same play....

The above blurb made me laugh. So Grumtar, I take it you won't be heading to any D. Hall autograph signings anytime soon?

....so besides being at 0-1, we now get to hear the mediots tout the Eagles offense, while wondering for another week if RGIII came back to soon.  Heaven help me......

Dude! Hang in there! 15-1 is still a possibility!

it is more about schemes in the NFL than talent. There have been good players who never made a pro bowl until they went to a better scheme. Examples: Ryan Clark   Redskins to Steelers.   Antonio Pierce   Redskins to Steelers.  Walt Harris  Redskins to Chicago    Carlos Rogers    Redskins to San Francisco

All Pro Bowl players AFTER they left the Redskins. Do we really need to keep HASLETT and let Rob Jackson go to another team before somebody wakes up.

it is more about schemes in the NFL than talent. There have been good players who never made a pro bowl until they went to a better scheme. Examples: Ryan Clark   Redskins to Steelers.   Antonio Pierce   Redskins to Steelers.  Walt Harris  Redskins to Chicago    Carlos Rogers    Redskins to San Francisco

All Pro Bowl players AFTER they left the Redskins. Do we really need to keep HASLETT and let Rob Jackson go to another team before somebody wakes up.

Pay that man! (Rob Jackson, not you)

After reviewing the game, I wonder how much Haslett can be blamed. Their o-line manhandled our front 6 (we ran a lot of nickel). We had our backup defensive ends in, so perhaps once are starters are back that will improve. We had a corner at SS who missed 6 (SIX) tackles. Was it Haslett's insistence to run with Biggers? Did we really need to run so much nickel when they ran so much on us? Don't get me wrong, it's on the players too as they weren't clogging lanes and were missing tackles all night.

I know people here hate on doughty, but he should have been playing SS. We weren't getting picked apart by the pass (Vick was 1 for 8 for 28 yards and a td on intermediate passes). Also I would have ran more traditional 34 and just dared them to beat us with the pass. They beat us running left all night. We needed to take away those run lanes.

McCoy's td run had the RG pulling right when their LG Mathis destroys Fletcher and Peters easily handles Bowen, creating a huge hole between their LG and LT. Riley and Rambo follow their reads to mirror the RG, but McCoy cuts between the LG and LT. Then Biggers misses the tackle, great juke by McCoy but had Biggers been further left he would have forced McCoy into Rambo and it would have been a 12 yard gain at best.

We keep waiting to see a defense that can start out the season and be consistantly good/great throughout the season; this is not something accomplishable with Haslett, he just doesn't have that mentality. This 3-4 experiment has not shown a steady improvement, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to go to a 4-3 or even a modified 4-6, but regardless, Haslett isn't the answer...

The scheme and the players are not the problem. Run the 3-4, but get someone who can run it better and maximize the players abilities with better play calling and preparedness.

Tired of the excuses for this joker. He's the new Danny Smith.

Really??"?

Our defense got shredded for 250yds rushing. Just simple hand offs in the middle of the field. We missed so many tackles in that game. When the Iggles play a team with discipline, you will see how bad this defense really is.

Not to mention the size of the holes they ran through. First drive, they show an endzone shot and I swear, 7 McCoy's, shoulder to shoulder could have run through one of the holes. How in the eff does a defense allow a hole that wide?

One of the questions is why does it take an entire half, or more, before Haslett makes any adjustments?  The Eagles threw a bunch of points on the board, offensive miscues by the Skins didn't help, but if the Skins offense were halfway moving the ball and scoring some, the Eagles might not have taken their foot off the throttle until late 4th.

I think if the offense had had one sustained drive at any point in the first half, you would have seen more adjustments.  Unfortunately, the defense was hung out to dry the entire first half.  They didn't have time to catch their breath, let alone make adjustments.  They were consistently put in awful positions by turnovers.  I'm sorry, guys, put the defense was not the problem in this game.  Not even close.

No wak no D hall signings for me.What i would like to see is a Veteran who can lead the secondary on the field and have them playing together. I wished antoine winfield had signed with us and we could have jettisoned hall. We have leaders in all positions except secondary.

Look guys I"m not a huge fan of Haslett and the first half of last season I was one of the people who felt we needed to fire him and get a new DC. However during the run in at the end of the year he frankly did a great coaching job in disguising coverages schemes, mixing his blitzes and using some smoke and mirrors to cover up some quite big deficiencies in our secondary and especially safety.

He really has not got enough credit or recognition for the coaching job he did in the second half of the year IMO.

Now as far as opening night goes anyone ripping our defense for what happened in that first half is looking in the wrong place. We were playing an offense with no film who were running a fast pace which did not give the coaches in the booth time to make adjustments. What the defense needed was the offense to sustain some long drives to get their wind back and have time to make adjustments and think about what the Eagles were doing. Instead we turned it over 3 times in 7 plays on our side of the 50.

Frankly the defense did a pretty good job keeping the Eagles in sight in that first half given the hole the offense put them in.

The one thing I think you can critique the defensive coaches for was the decision to start Biggers at safety.  With a 6th round rookie safety starting at one safety spot starting a corner who had not played the position since High School did not make much sense to me. I get the thinking they wanted more speed at safety to spy Vick but we needed experience next to Rambo and a guy who could be relied on in terms of run fits and getting to the right place. Doughty should have played.

Orakpo is a waste. He is an average player who deserves an average contract. Biggers was a pickup because nobody else needed yet another average nickel back. Fletcher is already proving that he has gone one full year past where he needed to. And D. Hall still has great problem covering receivers, and his temper does him in...... Average doesn't even begin to describe him.

On top of that we have no Pro Bowl defensive linemen. If you want a solid defense, try infusing about 4 PRO BOWL players into the defense to help Kerrigan. Add a real defensive coordinator that knows how to teach blitzing and tackling....and this team may go somewhere.

Orakpo is a waste. He is an average player who deserves an average contract. Biggers was a pickup because nobody else needed yet another average nickel back. Fletcher is already proving that he has gone one full year past where he needed to. And D. Hall still has great problem covering receivers, and his temper does him in...... Average doesn't even begin to describe him.

On top of that we have no Pro Bowl defensive linemen. If you want a solid defense, try infusing about 4 PRO BOWL players into the defense to help Kerrigan. Add a real defensive coordinator that knows how to teach blitzing and tackling....and this team may go somewhere.

P.S. I forgot about the offense. If RG3 is not a running QB anymore, then find an offensive line that is bigger and can hold up against the pass rush and get a new offensive coordinator who is not stuck on running for 2 yards on first down, because if that is the plan, then the offensive line cannot be expected to hold up under all these 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 8.

After 8 months of preparation and Haslett's 'God bless em' comments about being familiar with all the plays the eagles could run, I would expect a lot more from his unit.

That's really my concern here, I have a lot more faith in the offense fixing their first half performance in future games as most of their first half woes struck me as griffin's rustiness and unfortunate bounces (literally with the morris toss). I think the biggest concerns for the offense going forward are the 3rd down conversion rate and our extremely slow 2 minute offense, though that's for another thread.

The next 3 or so weeks will be a test, with GB, Detroit coming up. At this point i'm not even gonna discount Oakland and Pryor; afterall, he's new to ther league, unknown, and could give big problems.

Haslett should be on a short leash beginning last week, but he's being over-shadowed by RGIII, unless the above mentioned teams hang 50+ on us; 60 should be cause for immediate dismissal.

Well its painfully obvious of Haslett's ineptness.

After last season's "defensive bonding" towards the end of the season, it should be expected that the defense SHOULD have at least been close to the same chemistry, but it looks as if they've just been introduced to each other. Where is the chemistry?

This should be the end of Haslett's career in Washington, Mike needs to swallow his pride, admit he made a mistake with Haslett, and either get a 3-4 coach who KNOWS how to call and design plays, or switch to 4-3.

Status quo is inept...

Archived