Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

Mahons,

Now you know better than to 'cherry-pick' stats and rankings. You know as well as everyone else Haslett has

had more bad years than good ones. Being defensively ranked 27th - 31st pretty much counters any

arguements of having coach of the year award.

Now, bashing Haslett wasn't the idea; discussing whether he should be on the hot seat if the defense struggles

was the main point.  Knowing anything about the guy doesn't matter, his track record speaks volumes. St.Louis,

New Orleans, and Pittsburgh are teams he was either DC or HC; having 1 season where he did good is over-run

by the downward trend of the team's record and rankings the following years. He couldn't have been that good if

he goes from team to team every few years.

I was merely asking the question if he should be replaced if the defense is struggling this year; all the players are healthy,

so there's no excuse this year. And I have a feeling the 'better coached' teams will read his at-times bland approach and

exploit it, just as it was done against the Giants and Bengals...

SIC

The point was that he has been a good DC, which contradicts a point HAMskins made,that he was never good.  If you speak in absolutes, such as so and so was never good, it only takes one season to disprove said statement, it's not cherry-picking.  Furthermore, all of Haslett's "bad years" have come on teams with no talent, or teams that are ravaged by injuries.

He didn't have one season where he did well, he had multiple.  He was ranked 1st overall by DVOA his first year in PIT. 

And why can't you be that good if you go from team to team?  Didn't you just prop up Gregg Williams as some great DC?  He's moved around more than Haslett for crying out loud. 

The Bengals figured out his approach?  Why because they knew he'd go cover-0 v the wildcat?  This is a good defensive call.  Furthermore, if Gomes doesn't wave off Hall from covering AJ Green, we most likely aren't even talking about this play.  The fact is the play was run incorrectly by the players, yet we continue to blame the DC. 

The Giants have him figured out?  How do you figure?  Eli has 3 TDs in 6 games he's played the Redskins v Has, in that same time he's had 8 INTs, and they're tied 3-3 as far as games w/l is concerned.  This is all with Eli getting a fluke TD in that frst game this past year.  That says to you they have him figured out?

Mahons,

Do you think that Haslett has the confidence and full support from the players?

I just don't see it; the rumblings over the last few years, Fletch voicing his concerns when things were not going good. Yes, I know

pretty much every team suffers from second-guessing by players, but taking into consideration this is Haslett we're talking about, I

see this year as a do-or-die season for him here. Wasn't it stated that the 3-4 wasn't Haslett's strongsuit?

With winning comes confidence, I'm not worried about the players perception of him in the slightest, they played just fine for him down the stretch last season.

I don't pay much attention to "the grumblings" because you're most likely referring to a few vocal members on this website that claimed a.) Haslett was gone no matter what last offseason (even if he had a top 5 defense), and b.) that Haslett's extensions was actually him being fired. I don't have much faith in their opinions, if you do that's fine, but you won't sway my opinion by using them as support. If you have actual sources ie WaPo, Examiner that state things about Haslett by all means I'll take them into consideration, but I'm yet to see any.

>With everyone back and healthy, there's no reason, as another thread mentions, that this defense should not be a top 5-8 defense;

I've always said that a good coach can get the best out of his players by using their strengths to fit schemes, thus a good coach makes

good players, not the other way around...

THere's a huge reason we shouldn't be a top 10 defense, we don't even know who our starting secondary players are, Carricker still isn't healthy, Orakpo hasn't played a full season in years, Fletcher isn't who he once was and so on... Top 5-8 defenses ie Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, Denver, Houston these teams are loaded with talent, it's not even comparable.

I don't know how you can argue that coaches make the players, not the players make the coaches. Look at Kyle Shannahan with talent and without, was he a bad coordinator after he left Houston and before we acquired RG3? Or was he the same coordinator he'd always been, and still is to this day, he just didn't have the talent? I view coordinators talent level as static, their rankings change based on their personnel. Most evidence around the NFL supports this

Orakpo hasn't played a full season in years??? Really?? Look, if you want to comment, fine, but at least have a remote clue as to what you are talking about. Orakpo missed one game in his first three years in the league. He missed last year because of an injury. What the hell are you talking about??

LMAO, This is the same Anthony Armstrong, Devin Thomas, Marko Mitchell, optimistic talk. According to my man The rest of the NFL are shaking in there boots when they face up with this predictable, soft, clueless, defense. I mean who else does this guy need to have on his defense? You have Barry,JJ, Ak, Rak,AK,Rob Jax? I dont care if you have Mike Rumph at corner, Warrick holdman, and Marshall as your MLB ( GW Way better players sarcasm) Our defense should be better.  It's crazy that SOME fans believe that he can finish this season being  ranked 28th and that's good enough? Smh Losers mentality .When people believe being ranked 28th out of 32 is worth keeping your job 

this is my first input on the subject, and I'm not here to argue.

anyway, if the defense is causing turnovers, keeping scoring down, and not letting a team run the ball all over them.  I could personally care less of the pass D rankings.  if we end up with a very good offense this season, that could drive up the pass yardage the Skins defense gives up.  The reason being, many very good offenses score fast, thus getting the ball back in the opposing offense's hands quickly.  of course this would tire our secondary.  now that I think about it, I honestly don't care very much at all about any of the defensive rankings.  I care a lot more about turnover ratio and PPG.  I'm not defending Haslett at all, just stating a couple thoughts of mine.

SIC

The point was that he has been a good DC, which contradicts a point HAMskins made,that he was never good.  If you speak in absolutes, such as so and so was never good, it only takes one season to disprove said statement, it's not cherry-picking.  Furthermore, all of Haslett's "bad years" have come on teams with no talent, or teams that are ravaged by injuries.

He didn't have one season where he did well, he had multiple.  He was ranked 1st overall by DVOA his first year in PIT. 

And why can't you be that good if you go from team to team?  Didn't you just prop up Gregg Williams as some great DC?  He's moved around more than Haslett for crying out loud. 

Yea, you have a point regarding season-to-season definitions; but this same ideal can work against a coach as well.  Mid-year last season, the heat was building on Haslett; fans and the media knew this, and that's why the camera panned over to Haslett on the sideline when things were falling apart, with a lost look on his face, and it was well noted here by quite a few on the forums board.

GW? I'm not saying he's HOF material; what i'm saying is he had the players more aggressive and on page with each other. There were no rumblings of the DB coach possibly taking over, etc etc, and FTR I do not agree with what he's accused/actually did, but I do like the way he approached offenses. 

Yea, you have a point regarding season-to-season definitions; but this same ideal can work against a coach as well.  Mid-year last season, the heat was building on Haslett; fans and the media knew this, and that's why the camera panned over to Haslett on the sideline when things were falling apart, with a lost look on his face, and it was well noted here by quite a few on the forums board.

GW? I'm not saying he's HOF material; what i'm saying is he had the players more aggressive and on page with each other. There were no rumblings of the DB coach possibly taking over, etc etc, and FTR I do not agree with what he's accused/actually did, but I do like the way he approached offenses. 

This year has to be the telling year for Haslett; talent is better, players are healthy, and there's no excuse to have a mid-high 20's ranked defense.  The purpose of the thread was to generally ask if others think its a do-or-die season for him; maybe I should have done a  poll instead..lol

I bet all of the guys who want JH were the same group of folks running around here saying that AA was a legit NFl wide out. Remember the people who promised us that no upgrade was needed at WR position because we had AA lol. Now these are the same people talking about keeping JH even if he fails again this year smh. One thing I have learned from these people over the years is to take what they say with a grain of salt. They are hypocrites. Once the desicion is made to part ways with JH these same people will come back and say how "this is a great chioce by Shanny", or "we needed to canned him last season",blah blah. So I'll just sit back and wait for this year's contradicitons to happen again. 

(In my Robin voice) Holy jailbreak blitzes, blown coverages,gaping wholes in the zone, predicatble LB blitz batman #HTTR

Hamskins, you've now blamed Haslett twice for blown coverages.  Why doesn't this blame fall on the players?  Furthermore, if it is falling on a coach, why isn't in the secondary coach?

I don't think JH should be here no matter what, but I think he did well with the crap he was given last season.  Greg Cossell went as far as to say that his week 17 performance v Dallas, was one of the best called games (defensively) he'd seen all season.  I would like to see what he can do with a decent amount of talent, which is not something he's had since he's been here.

Hamskins, you've now blamed Haslett twice for blown coverages.  Why doesn't this blame fall on the players?  Furthermore, if it is falling on a coach, why isn't in the secondary coach?

I don't think JH should be here no matter what, but I think he did well with the crap he was given last season.  Greg Cossell went as far as to say that his week 17 performance v Dallas, was one of the best called games (defensively) he'd seen all season.  I would like to see what he can do with a decent amount of talent, which is not something he's had since he's been here.

I hear you, but what im saying is this. JH defense always have blown zone coverages. We drafted players and have more dept than last season and IMO I still believe there will be numerous games where his defense will get exposed for wide open plays. Not all on the players,hell sombody just wrote somthing up on Big Barry Co saying that he's the best DT in football

You're right, to a degree, but there's enough blame to go around. Some players are thick skulled, and good/great coaches, i.e.; Gibbs, Walsh, Belicheck, and others, have the ability to reach players, to get them to believe in them and themselves. Some players are simply not coachable, so its up to others to fill in the gap. I just don't see the players believing in Haslett, OR Raheem, for that matter.

The talent of a player will only go as far as their coach utilizes it; and I don't think we have a bunch of slackers on defense, but definitely a couple that do need to be replaced, and if they are that bad, then do you point the finger at the coach or G.M for this?

You're right, to a degree, but there's enough blame to go around. Some players are thick skulled, and good/great coaches, i.e.; Gibbs, Walsh, Belicheck, and others, have the ability to reach players, to get them to believe in them and themselves. Some players are simply not coachable, so its up to others to fill in the gap. I just don't see the players believing in Haslett, OR Raheem, for that matter.

The talent of a player will only go as far as their coach utilizes it; and I don't think we have a bunch of slackers on defense, but definitely a couple that do need to be replaced, and if they are that bad, then do you point the finger at the coach or G.M for this?

IMO Shanny has gave JH defensive players that should at worst finish in the top 13 in the nfl. People are actually saying that Shanny didn't give this man (JH) enough players on defense???? WTH Look at our front 7. I know people are low on London,but to me even with a slight step lost he's still a good player,who use to be great IMO.  A guy from CBS sports just called Barry Cofield the best DT playing in the 3-4 and had some nice stats to back it up. I hate watching JH dial up a blitz it's so predicatble and old school. I wanted him gone last seson and I thought that we would atleast have our players playing better. The guy has Rakpo and RK on the same defense,but I gguess it's all on the players lol. When Wade Phillips was fired from Cowardboys I said fire JH and pick him up to run the 3-4 people were saying the same thing about JH that they are saying now. So what happens now if our defense plays just as bad as it has played since we hired Hass? We still keep him? My poor attempt at a analogy- If you were a manager at bussiness and your department is consistantly finishing at damn near the bottom every year since you took over should you be able to keep your job? Some people Blame RGIII's injury on him and MS. To me IMO JH has alot of blame in this too. If his defense could put together stops when your team is scoring at will RGIII would only be handing the ball off for the rest of the game not trying to make game winning plays. Example the Dallas turkey day gm. We should only have been handing the ball off to Morris not having RGIII diving for first downs and stuff. Minny game we should'nt have needed to have RGIII running for 76 yard td in that game if we had a defense. The St Louis game we scored 31 points and RGIII was still taking blows at the end of the game in a LOSS.  SMH People never wonder how our offense could be at the top of the NFL at scoring, but yet we never had a blow out game yet? 

Well, I consider the thanksgiving day game a blow-out; at least for the 1st half.

Now, whether or not any changes/adjustments were made in the 2nd half, and/or Haslett had everyone and their brother with their ears pinned back, that remains to be answered, but it sure seemed like they were a little less intense in the 2nd half.

So the players are healthy, at least thus far; so there should not be any reason/excuse not to be a top defense; but if the defense struggles early, the buzzards will be circling, and IMO deservedly so.  I'll buy into the injuries to an extent, but that excuse only goes so far, then it becomes a question of whether Haslett has the ability to reach and coach the players he has...

I really don't care for anyone who says our defense had only "garbage" to work with.  Basically we were missing Rak, Carriker and Meriweather in a projected lineup.  We got Jenkins back the same time we lost Neild as both were supposed to be backups anyway.  Maybe saying Madieu was garbage is correct, but the team basically knew Jackson would be suspended and Madieu was the backup plan.  Otherwise, the rest of the starting lineup was intact.  I like alot of others have nothing personal against Haz, I'm just not crazy about his playcalling.  I think it lacks creativity in disguising blitzes.  It is supposed to emulate the Steelers, yet watching a Steelers game, you never know who is coming.

No there is not enough blame to go around.  If a NFL player is blowing their coverage, they either a.) don't know the play called or b.) don't have the talent to stay with who they're covering. That does not fall on Haslett, that falls on the player.  We wouldn't blame Kyle if our WRs were running poor routes, and we shouldn't be blaming Haslett if his DBs are getting burnt, especially since many of them have been getting burnt throughout their careers, even when Haslett wasn't their DC.

As far as who is to blame?  I blame Danny and Vinny for putting the team in such a hole that it would take future management years to form some semblance of what an organization should look like.  For example the Haynesworth debacle, we could no doubt have added some stars to our defense if we weren't so cash strapped.

HAMSKINS,

You've now blamed Haslett for blown coverages twice, and when asked about why, you responded with a long post that had nothing to do with blown coverages. 

Now you're putting some of the blame for RG3's injury on him. 

Your obvious lack of objectivity only weakens your argument, it doesn't help it.  In all sincerity, I can't tell if you're jokingly trolling me at this point, or are that's honestly how you feel.   

PJ

The blitzes got significantly more exotic as the year went on, I would hope you can agree with this.  My belief is that a unit that didn't have much time together as a whole, continued to learn the system as the year went on, and as they got more comfortable Haslett was able to expand his playbook. 

Obviously you don't  believe that Haslett just learned to call plays down the stretch, so what do you attribute this success to?  Are you in the camp that believes Rah/London started having more influence, which is ridiculous on countless levels (first and foremost being, then why is JH, who wasn't signed through this season, still here?).  Or are you of the belief that it was just coincidental and he got dumb luck for a 7 game stretch?

Well, I consider the thanksgiving day game a blow-out; at least for the 1st half.

Now, whether or not any changes/adjustments were made in the 2nd half, and/or Haslett had everyone and their brother with their ears pinned back, that remains to be answered, but it sure seemed like they were a little less intense in the 2nd half.

So the players are healthy, at least thus far; so there should not be any reason/excuse not to be a top defense; but if the defense struggles early, the buzzards will be circling, and IMO deservedly so.  I'll buy into the injuries to an extent, but that excuse only goes so far, then it becomes a question of whether Haslett has the ability to reach and coach the players he has...

SIC I was going to mention the turkey day game but we only won by a few points.. .JH defense gave up too many blown plays up in that game. RGIII still had to play when we should have been running down there throats with Royster and Morris. Other than that I agree with you 

No there is not enough blame to go around.  If a NFL player is blowing their coverage, they either a.) don't know the play called or b.) don't have the talent to stay with who they're covering. That does not fall on Haslett, that falls on the player.  We wouldn't blame Kyle if our WRs were running poor routes, and we shouldn't be blaming Haslett if his DBs are getting burnt, especially since many of them have been getting burnt throughout their careers, even when Haslett wasn't their DC.

As far as who is to blame?  I blame Danny and Vinny for putting the team in such a hole that it would take future management years to form some semblance of what an organization should look like.  For example the Haynesworth debacle, we could no doubt have added some stars to our defense if we weren't so cash strapped.

HAMSKINS,

You've now blamed Haslett for blown coverages twice, and when asked about why, you responded with a long post that had nothing to do with blown coverages. 

Now you're putting some of the blame for RG3's injury on him. 

Your obvious lack of objectivity only weakens your argument, it doesn't help it.  In all sincerity, I can't tell if you're jokingly trolling me at this point, or are that's honestly how you feel.   

PJ

The blitzes got significantly more exotic as the year went on, I would hope you can agree with this.  My belief is that a unit that didn't have much time together as a whole, continued to learn the system as the year went on, and as they got more comfortable Haslett was able to expand his playbook. 

Obviously you don't  believe that Haslett just learned to call plays down the stretch, so what do you attribute this success to?  Are you in the camp that believes Rah/London started having more influence, which is ridiculous on countless levels (first and foremost being, then why is JH, who wasn't signed through this season, still here?).  Or are you of the belief that it was just coincidental and he got dumb luck for a 7 game stretch?

When you mentioned the blown coverage thing earlier I put it all on Hass and not players. You're  rebuttal was " why not blame Morris". Doesn't that contradict Hasslet doesn't have the players argument? The weakest players on our defense are coached by Morris. We are strong on ever position except for the DB's. Morris is the DB's coach. Why would I blame him? My point is this, If you don't have the players to play that type of coverage why dial up those type of plays?

Honestly I don't know who's fault it is really for the blown coverage without being out on the practice field, but I do know who is in charge to correct these issues and He's not getting it done. Every game there are players looking at each other like what just happened? Finger pointing, no confidence, and there always seems to be some one "Wide Open" in every game.

I actually didn't have a rebuttal. I was asking you why, and why if you have to blame a coach, wouldn't you blame the secondary coach? As I've said all along, I blame the players.

RE: Players and coverages

Because you have to vary you coverages, if you use the same player in the same limited coverages they can run, it becomes predictable and easy to exploit. Thus you must switch around your coverages. It's not Haslett fault his secondary is limited in what they can do, they simply don't have the talent.

RE: Has not getting it done

You must have missed the final 7 games of the season.

I actually didn't have a rebuttal. I was asking you why, and why if you have to blame a coach, wouldn't you blame the secondary coach? As I've said all along, I blame the players.

RE: Players and coverages

Because you have to vary you coverages, if you use the same player in the same limited coverages they can run, it becomes predictable and easy to exploit. Thus you must switch around your coverages. It's not Haslett fault his secondary is limited in what they can do, they simply don't have the talent.

RE: Has not getting it done

You must have missed the final 7 games of the season.

Fair enough

Well see about it this season..I mean maybe he'll (JH) shock me,or maybe he will make me a prophet. I hear you loud and clear though 

Mahons,

I think something happened after week nine during the bye week and it wasn't because of Haslett. I think alot of the players were embarrassed and pissed.  I think Griffin must've stood up and said something because that was when he became a captain. I think alot of the players took it upon themselves to play better and knew they could play better.  It's not like our schedule was a murderers row of offenses.  We played Philly twice who was on their backup QB, we played Cleveland who has no offense, we played the Giants in our own house (by 1 pt), we squeaked by Baltimore at home and played Dallas twice.  Just going by memory from what I saw, I can't say that I saw Haslett come up with any "new wrinkles."   That doesn't mean he didn't, but I just don't recall.  I think he's an average defensive coordinator.  I think we could do better.

There is SOME answer to why the defense showed signs of life in the 2nd half of the season; now, who gets the credit for it? IMO, most teams seem to play better defense down the stretch, and i'm guessing because of experience in each player knowing what his teammate will be doing.

Its quite possible that some players on defense actually sat down at a table with JH/RM and laid it out on the line regarding their abilities, and mutually worked out something that fits both parties; but to give JH credit solely for the 2nd half turnaround would be wrong.  Rob Jackson came outta nowhere late, balling like crazy, and was my 2nd half teammate of the year was him [ ok, maybe that was a reach ] but I just do not see JH being the reason why the defense tightened up down the stretch.

This year, the players will be healthy; there will be no more excuses; the secondary will be re-enforced, RAK is back, Kerrigan is ready, and there will be high expectations from fans for this defense to really solidify. IF this doesn't happen, and they struggle, no one else can be blamed but Haslett. There are simply no more excuses...

There is SOME answer to why the defense showed signs of life in the 2nd half of the season; now, who gets the credit for it? IMO, most teams seem to play better defense down the stretch, and i'm guessing because of experience in each player knowing what his teammate will be doing.

Its quite possible that some players on defense actually sat down at a table with JH/RM and laid it out on the line regarding their abilities, and mutually worked out something that fits both parties; but to give JH credit solely for the 2nd half turnaround would be wrong.  Rob Jackson came outta nowhere late, balling like crazy, and was my 2nd half teammate of the year was him [ ok, maybe that was a reach ] but I just do not see JH being the reason why the defense tightened up down the stretch.

This year, the players will be healthy; there will be no more excuses; the secondary will be re-enforced, RAK is back, Kerrigan is ready, and there will be high expectations from fans for this defense to really solidify. IF this doesn't happen, and they struggle, no one else can be blamed but Haslett. There are simply no more excuses...

I agree with everything you've said. I also would like to make this point as well. If Coaches should keep there job based off what you do in a half of a season then what does that say about Jim Corn when he went 6-2? I mean Im not giving this dude a pass i want him gone. Now unless we come out with this new agressive, creating havoc, blitzing from every angle type of defense then I willl change my opinion on him

• 2 months later...

Maybe this is not in good taste to re-heat this topic, but after seeing the debacle tonight [ MNF ] I think it bears re-hashing.

All offseason all we've heard was either RGIII and his progress, or Chip Kelly's Oregon offense. Understanding, to a degree, Haslett has no NFL game film on this new fangled offense, its still the same players with the same skills, just a faster tempo.  It wasn't as gimmicky as I expected it to be, just the idea of it being different threw him for a loop.

With GB coming up, the fire under Haslett and Raheem's bottom plate just got turned up.  GB is more 1-dimensional, so its gonna be interesting to see what, if any, adjustments are made, because tonight's game looked like he took the week off.

SIC

Archived