Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

A lot of you guys are insane.  That defense was not at fault.  What was at fault was our putrid offense that couldn't get a damn thing done for the first half.

Our defense was fantastic, and our offense stepped it up.  Just sucks to have it be at home against Philly AND live in the Philly area.

If the Redskins can't go from last to first with a decimated D he needs to be shown the door.  Oops wait, we already did that.

The blame game falls SQUARELY on the early offense for this game and ONLY on them.  Three turnovers totaling 12 points was just preposterous.

If you didn't note, we lost by less than 12.  That's all on the offense from the first quarter.

Well, Jim Haslett is not very good at his job. Philly's first year in the 3-4 seems to be going swimmingly, though.

Did you watch the end of the game?  How many plays/yards did they get, even when we were threatening?

A lot of you guys are insane.  That defense was not at fault.  What was at fault was our putrid offense that couldn't get a damn thing done for the first half.

Our defense was fantastic, and our offense stepped it up.  Just sucks to have it be at home against Philly AND live in the Philly area.

Really??"?

Our defense got shredded for 250yds rushing. Just simple hand offs in the middle of the field. We missed so many tackles in that game. When the Iggles play a team with discipline, you will see how bad this defense really is.

Defense definitely played better in the second half.

Some of that has to be because Philly wasn't going full throttle with the offense after getting a big lead.

Haslett repeated a similar pattern tonight to many games last season. To start the game, he seems determined to prove the defense can stop teams straight up which does not work. After watching the opponent march up and down the field with ease he dials up more blitzes and the defense instantly performs better.

Haslett needs to start the game off in much more aggressive fashion instead of waiting for the opposing offense to dominate before deciding to blitz more often.

Defense definitely played better in the second half.

Some of that has to be because Philly wasn't going full throttle with the offense after getting a big lead.

Haslett repeated a similar pattern tonight to many games last season. To start the game, he seems determined to prove the defense can stop teams straight up which does not work. After watching the opponent march up and down the field with ease he dials up more blitzes and the defense instantly performs better.

Haslett needs to start the game off in much more aggressive fashion instead of waiting for the opposing offense to dominate before deciding to blitz more often.

He had a tough task with no tape.  Thought the D played admirably. 

Exactly. And all that while figuring out a brand new offense just brought into the NFL. Not an easy task when you're dead tired.

He had a tough task with no tape. Thought the D played admirably.

Admirably is a bit of a stretch when they tackled poorly for much of the night and were gashed in the running game.

The run defense fell off sharply in the second half of last season and again tonight.

Haslett watched about 25 games of Oregon to see how Chip Kelly's offense worked. Had weeks to prepare for this game. Haslett had plenty of film on the type of offense but granted not the Eagle players running it.

As I said the defense played well for the most part in the second half. Haslett needs to be more aggressive at the start of games instead of waiting for the opposition to dominate and merely reacting to it.

I can't see how anybody can say with A straight face that the defense played good.

It was so embarrassing at one point that ESPN went silent because they were embarrassed for us.

Rambo shouldn't be on the field and Haslett can't call plays.

I watched four teams stop the option this weekend by blowing up the middle and what does Haslett call, traditional sub package.

The same play that the Giants killed us with, the Eagles used tonight with some option added in.

Minus the open field tackling... I thought the defense played decently if you take into account the circumstances of our offense throwing them under the bus in the first half...

The fact that we had some (got good but outside chance) of getting back into the game in the 4th quarter showed that defense did some good to keep us in the game...

insane? Philly was picking up first downs at will in the first half. Continuing this theme, Philly had more first downs, than the Redskins total plays. That, i concede, is insane. The second half remains up to interpretation on this message board- many feel, like myself, that the Eagles took their foot off the gas, and the skins capitalized on this apathy/comfort/bland offensive philosophy. Others believe, the Redskins made proper adjustments etc. the truth, as always, probably lies somewhere in between.

I myself believe Chip's offense is incredibly effective. I eagerly await the responsive defensive strategies to combat Chip's brand of hurry up offense, but i came away impressed and a tad envious. 

i know the Redskins offense was catastrophically bad the first half, especially the first few drives, and this didn't help the already struggling D, but to claim the defense wasn't at fault is ridiculous. The defense, was in all aspects, outmatched and unprepared. 

Oh the blame game after a loss. Blame Morris, blame Haslett, blame Rambo! There's truth in all of it, but these games happen. We lost by 6 points despite playing the worst game we've played in a long time. This offense won't give up 4 turnovers every game, and our defense won't give up 250 yards rushing probably the rest of the year.

We'll see how Haslett does against Green Bay. I got to see their game and they spread the ball out so well and tore up an elite san fran defense. We're probably in for another shoot out, but hopefully our offense is equipped to handle it. Next game is a much better barometer of where we're at than this one was.

One of the questions is why does it take an entire half, or more, before Haslett makes any adjustments?  The Eagles threw a bunch of points on the board, offensive miscues by the Skins didn't help, but if the Skins offense were halfway moving the ball and scoring some, the Eagles might not have taken their foot off the throttle until late 4th.

He's been here way long enough to understand who he has and what he can do, and who he can acquire/draft to complement the defense, but as of yet there hasn't been any positives, especially in first half games. There's no dictation with the defense, its always read and react, wait to see what they do then tackle, or at least try to.

Our 'Pit Bull' secondary [ bites on anything] has not gotten better, and this does fall on coaching. With GB coming up, you know they're gonna run the DBs out of breath, and eventually they just can't physically keep up. Unless you are in the receivers' faces at the LOS, no receiver or timing will be disrupted.

Time to stop putting faith in a DC who is unproven...

How is the Eagles O a surprise when you have all summer to watch all 4 years of tape of the exact same Oregan O?

Hail. 

Watching the film of college players and NFL players are 2 different things. Sure it's one thing to see it on film, but it's another to see actually see it happening against NFL defenses. I definitely think we'll be better prepared for them the 2nd time around.

Our offense is what put all the pressure on our defense by turning the ball over most of the night. Take away the turnovers and the Redskins win this game easily. We shot ourselves in the foot and made Philly's new coach and system look great.I can't wait till the rematch!

But: Jim Haslett needs to be more aggressive! If he would have went after Vick earlier in this game, he most likely would have turned the ball over and would have stalled many of their drives. Just stalling one of their drives could have the Redskins at 1-0 instead of 0-1 .

This is what separates a good defense from a championship defense. A good defense is conservative and will adjust to what the offense is doing, but a championship defense is aggressive and will make the offense adjust to what it is doing. Our defense has this potential, the question is does Haslett. This season should answer many questions.   

True, the offense didn't do much to help during the 1st half, but the defense looked out of sync, second guessing, and once again biting on fakes.

Chip's offense isn't more than a hurry-up offense; there was only 1 strange alignment that I saw; it was a conditioning drill, and the defense couldn't keep up or figure it out.  A 4-6 defense would absolutely shut down that offense, of course with proper personnel, but being this is Haslett's 4th year? Still being embarrassed on national spotlight?  Someone should take a deep breath of reality, and see that even having a high octane offense doesn't make a defense better...

There can be NO more excuses after the upgrades this past draft an the injured players back. (Which is amusing in itself as the D was far from seller the year prior with both Orakpo and Carriker.).

If he's still the same, uninventive, predictable, career average DC as he's always been; then bring on someone that can fully open up a 34 D in all its playmaking glory.

I shall leave it there, short and sweet, as Haslett not following Smith out if the door is the biggest off season disappointment for me. And I don't want to say something on him I probably shouldn't.

Hail.

My view has not changed. 

Hail. 

Again. Not blaming the defense. We have good players, but we have a coach who refuses to adjust. Haslett waited until game 10 last year to adjust. He waited until Philly rolled up 33 points before he adjusted.

I love continuity on the coaching staff. I think that it is important, but I've had my fill of this joker, just like Danny Smith. Time to rethink the position.

Archived