Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

I've never understood calling and all out blitz on 3rd and 20+ yards.  If you want to blitz a CB or LBer to shake them up, by all means. But you should be playing over the top and give up a pass of less than 10 yards and make them punt.  Keep everything underneath.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2011/092011/09302011/655427/mobile?page=1 The play had worked on the nine previous occasions it was run, which gave Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett the confidence that calling an all-out blitz on Dallas on third-and-21 Monday night would be the right decision.

Haslett defended the call of the play yesterday, noting that previous uses in

the game resulted in a fumble by receiver Kevin Ogletree late in the first

quarter that was recovered by Josh Wilson and an interception by Kevin Barnes

early in the third quarter.

"It's a great defense," Haslett said. "[Romo sits to pee] just started running for his

life and he kind of threw it up in the air. They made a play and we didn't. It's

one of those deals. Would you take it back? Of course you would. Coaches always

second-guess themselves, but it's still a great defense."

Haslett said the team enters a game with an idea of what it wants to force an

opposing offense to do, but it will make adjustments depending on what it

sees.

With the Cowboys facing a long third-down conversion, the blitz was called.

Barnes' interception occurred when Dallas was facing third-and-18 and Romo sits to pee,

under pressure from linebacker Brian Orakpo, tried to dump the ball off to

Ogletree.

The Redskins have allowed conversions on just seven of 32 third-down

opportunities through three games, which ties them with the New York Jets for

the greatest success rate in the league. Dallas converted only three of its 13

third downs Monday.

"We have an idea going into the game exactly what we want to do and then we

adjust it accordingly to what they're doing," Haslett said. "We don't blitz all

the time. We mix it up. We play coverage depending on what they're doing and

protection-wise if we think we can get there.

"Can we four-man rush? Can we five-man rush? It's not like a blitz-fest.

There's a good mixture of what we do."

Jim Haslett defenses all time rankings, points allowed as D-Coordinator and Head Coach

1996, DC-New Orleans- 20th overall, 339 points, 3-13 record

1997, DC-Pittsburgh Steelers, 11th overall, 307 points, 11-5 record

1998, DC-Pittsburgh Steelers, 7th overall, 303 points, 7-9 record

1999, DC-Pittsburgh Steelers, 12th overall, 320 points, 6-10 record

2000, HC-New Orleans- 10th overall, 305 points, 10-6 Record

2001, HC-New Orleans- 27th, 409 points, 7-9 record

2002, HC-New Orleans- 26th, 388 points, 9-7 record

2003, HC-New Orleans- 14th, 326 points, 8-8 record

2004, HC-New Orleans- 27th, 405 points, 8-8 record

2005, HC-New Orleans- 28th, 398 points, 3-13 record (Katrina year)

2006, DC-St. Louis- 28th, 381 points, 8-8 record

2007, DC-St. Louis- 31st, 438 points, 3-13 record

2008, DC-St. Louis- 31st, 465 points, 2-14 record

2010, DC-Washington- 21st, 377 points, 6-10 record

2011, DC-Washington- 21st, 367 points, 5-11 record

2012, DC-Washington- 22nd, 388 points, 10-6 record

Personally, I'd say that in Pittsburgh he inherited great players on those later 90s defenses and did a good job with them. In New Orleans he inherited some good players, dropped, made it back up, dropped again. He was the head coach here so his influence cannot be known, but for a defensive minded coach it was a bit erratic. It should also be taken into account that they were playing 2 games per year against the greatest show on turf.

In St.Louis he inherited a mess, didn't change much, and left it a mess.

In DC he inherited a mess, has changed a lot, and hasn't produced very many results yet.

Personally I feel that if the Redskins defense does not improve to the top half of the league this year, Jim Haslett should not be brought back as our defensive coordinator. He is a guy who can have decent success when he has good pieces put in place for him, and who has generally failed when he didn't have such support.

If it quacks like a Duck,it's a Duck. Get this Lame Duck out of here. What I don't get is the people who are wishing on a star that after all of these years he had to improve that he will suddenly become a D Coordinator now? WTH ? He just doesn't have it. The roster Shanny gave JH was a damn good one and that unit should've preform better. When mid season comes around this season and the Skins defense is ranked around 23rd I wonder what excuse will fans give him now? "He Doesn't have 10 probrowlers on his roster" ? This dude defense is so predictable,I mean When's the last time he sent a blitz and I didn't see it coming. Hell, how many jailbreaks can this defense take lmao. This guy is such a joke. Well at least we can say thst If JH remains the DC here that Sam Bradford will be a 1st ballot HOFer with "the wide open zone defense" LMAO  Cheers to seeing jailbreaks and blown coverage for one more season smh  26th ranked here we come! #HTTR

I find defense fascinating, especially aggressive blitzing style 34 defenses that confuse opposing teams offenses. It's like playing chess and trying to out smart your competitor. It would probably be my dream job to be a defensive coordinator in the NFL, preferably for the Redskins. :)  

I really hope the Redskins defense will turn out to be like the recent Steelers defenses. I think the Skins have the personnel to make it happen, and it seems like possibly the coaching as well.

http://fanspeak.com/washingtonredskins/2013/05/23/the-zone-blitz/?doing_wp_cron=1370468909.6907451152801513671875 The Zone Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blitz Zone Blitz

http://httr24-7.com/uncategorized/film-sessions-haslett-vs-lebeau-battle-of-the-3-4/ Film Sessions: Haslett vs Lebeau Battle of the 3-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeOVucqB1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbi22fI2a8s

Last to first with a decimated D.  If it aint broke....

This is my biggest worry with Haslett.  He is very slow to fix what is broke and keeps going back to the well as if what didn't work the first five times will suddenly click on the sixth.  His defenses often are pretty predictable which is why even hen he is blitz crazy his blitzes are often picked up.

I could not care less about my post count, and had initially written a detailed post, that I later edited because I don't want to be involved in this infuriating discussion.

No offense dude, just rattling your chain a little. hey, it worked! lol..

I agree, it can be infuriating discussing Haslett's playcalling, but you gotta admit, there were times last season where the defense was simply caught with their pants down, and as the camera panned to Haslett, he looked absolutely lost.

This should be the tell-all season for him; he has healthy players, he's been here long enough to make adjustments, and beating teams like the Browns and a hurt Eagles team last year  IMO doesn't justify the praise he got.

But I will sit back, keep my pie hole zipped, and see what kind of job he does this year.  If teams start running roughshod on us like the Rams and Panthers did last year, there will be a meltdown on this board, and justifiably so...

I've never understood calling and all out blitz on 3rd and 20+ yards.  If you want to blitz a CB or LBer to shake them up, by all means. But you should be playing over the top and give up a pass of less than 10 yards and make them punt.  Keep everything underneath.

It's one of the few times and all out blitz is the correct call..

Play deep off man, and send everyone else, QB won't have time to throw the ball further than 10 yards.  Make the tackle and you're golden.

I much prefer that to rushing 3/4 guys, and allowing a QB to sit back and make a play.

I did say to blitz a CB or LBer along with the 4 other rushers.  I wouldn't want them to sit back either, but send 5 or 6 and have 6 or 5 cover.  Don't send the house with 1 on 1 coverage and no protection behind them.  We don't have good 1 on 1 cover corners.  They do better in zone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/06/07/we-feel-like-we-should-be-a-top-10-defense/ ‘We feel like we should be a top-10 defense’

“That’s our goal, our expectation,” defensive tackle Barry Cofield said after Thursday’s practice at Redskins Park. “We’ll be disappointed if we fall short of that. With the talent we have, the scheme that we have, if we’re able to stay healthy—obviously that’s a big if—we feel like we should be a top-10 defense. Anything outside of that, we’ll be disappointed. We’ll be letting our team down. We feel like we’ve got the best offense in the league.”

Orakpo expressed similar sentiments, saying: “If we work extremely hard like we’ve been doing and everybody plays together, no busted assignments, guys getting after it, being relentless, there’s absolutely no reason why we can’t be a top-10, if not top-five, defense. So we’ve got to keep working extremely hard out here each and every day, giving full 100 percent effort to get to that goal.”

Play deep off man, and send everyone else, QB won't have time to throw the ball further than 10 yards.  Make the tackle and you're golden.

I much prefer that to rushing 3/4 guys, and allowing a QB to sit back and make a play.

I did say to blitz a CB or LBer along with the 4 other rushers.  I wouldn't want them to sit back either, but send 5 or 6 and have 6 or 5 cover.  Don't send the house with 1 on 1 coverage and no protection behind them.  We don't have good 1 on 1 cover corners.  They do better in zone.

So you blitz 5, QB calls the right slide protection, and the blitz gets picked up AND you have less people in coverage.

And that play you don't understand is extremely effective, it had been effective throughout that game, and it was used again this year to abuse Dallas Week 17.

Anyone who's upset about the cover-0 play should watch week 17 v Dalls this year AND recognize that the play was converted because two of our best defenders had break downs.  Kerrigan let Romo sits to pee break containment, when he had him dead to rights, and Hall got turned around by Dez.  That's not the fault of the DC.

Mahons,

Do you think that Haslett has the confidence and full support from the players?

I just don't see it; the rumblings over the last few years, Fletch voicing his concerns when things were not going good. Yes, I know

pretty much every team suffers from second-guessing by players, but taking into consideration this is Haslett we're talking about, I

see this year as a do-or-die season for him here. Wasn't it stated that the 3-4 wasn't Haslett's strongsuit?

With everyone back and healthy, there's no reason, as another thread mentions, that this defense should not be a top 5-8 defense;

I've always said that a good coach can get the best out of his players by using their strengths to fit schemes, thus a good coach makes

good players, not the other way around...

Mahons,

Do you think that Haslett has the confidence and full support from the players?

I just don't see it; the rumblings over the last few years, Fletch voicing his concerns when things were not going good. Yes, I know

pretty much every team suffers from second-guessing by players, but taking into consideration this is Haslett we're talking about, I

see this year as a do-or-die season for him here. Wasn't it stated that the 3-4 wasn't Haslett's strongsuit?

With winning comes confidence, I'm not worried about the players perception of him in the slightest, they played just fine for him down the stretch last season.

I don't pay much attention to "the grumblings" because you're most likely referring to a few vocal members on this website that claimed a.) Haslett was gone no matter what last offseason (even if he had a top 5 defense), and b.) that Haslett's extensions was actually him being fired. I don't have much faith in their opinions, if you do that's fine, but you won't sway my opinion by using them as support. If you have actual sources ie WaPo, Examiner that state things about Haslett by all means I'll take them into consideration, but I'm yet to see any.

With everyone back and healthy, there's no reason, as another thread mentions, that this defense should not be a top 5-8 defense;

I've always said that a good coach can get the best out of his players by using their strengths to fit schemes, thus a good coach makes

good players, not the other way around...

THere's a huge reason we shouldn't be a top 10 defense, we don't even know who our starting secondary players are, Carricker still isn't healthy, Orakpo hasn't played a full season in years, Fletcher isn't who he once was and so on... Top 5-8 defenses ie Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, Denver, Houston these teams are loaded with talent, it's not even comparable.

I don't know how you can argue that coaches make the players, not the players make the coaches. Look at Kyle Shannahan with talent and without, was he a bad coordinator after he left Houston and before we acquired RG3? Or was he the same coordinator he'd always been, and still is to this day, he just didn't have the talent? I view coordinators talent level as static, their rankings change based on their personnel. Most evidence around the NFL supports this

Not a Haz fan here....at the mid-point of last season I was all for him being shown the door and Morris being placed in charge.  Granted our Defense played better over our win streak.....but I am just not sure if that was because of Haz or in spite of him.  How much of a role did Morris play last season in D playcalling, as I recall hearing some rumblings around mid-season that Morris was taking on a larger role in defensive strategy and play calling.  I don't think Haz is on the mount rushmore of D Coords currently in the game.....he is not the worst, and certainly has plenty of experience.....but that there are others who are better especially for the 3-4 defense.  As I recall, Haz was a 4-3 man, but Shanny bought him in here and wanted the 3-4 Defense installed.  So....don't think the 3-4 was his forte anyhow.  I think our defense is many times predictable by other teams, and is often not aggressive enough.  I don't think he is quick to react to game situations and make changes that take away things that the opposing offenses are beating us with. 

I do believe that with our offense being able to light up the scoreboard....especially early......it allows our defense to be more aggressive.....maybe allowing for more turnovers.  Also, hopefully our D will enjoy better health than last season......so that should lead to better defensive production as well. 

So you blitz 5, QB calls the right slide protection, and the blitz gets picked up AND you have less people in coverage.

And that play you don't understand is extremely effective, it had been effective throughout that game, and it was used again this year to abuse Dallas Week 17.

Anyone who's upset about the cover-0 play should watch week 17 v Dalls this year AND recognize that the play was converted because two of our best defenders had break downs.  Kerrigan let Romo sits to pee break containment, when he had him dead to rights, and Hall got turned around by Dez.  That's not the fault of the DC.

I just think I'd rather see some Cover 1's called over Cover 0.  Cover 0 is good to use sparingly, but we shouldn't be using it as much as we do.  Especially last year with both our safeties out and Madoodoo back there. Like I said, we aren't a good man to man team in the secondary, so if it's 3rd and 21, I'd be more apt to use cover 1, give them a 10 yard completion and make them punt.  Now, it it's 3rd and 10 or less, maybe sprinkling in some cover 0 would be OK.  And how do I have "less" coverage if I'm playing a cover 1 zone as opposed to a cover 0 man to man? If I'm rushing my 3 down linemen and a linebacker, along with a blitzing LB or CB/S, I have 6 in coverage.  If they are going 3 wide and I'm in a nickel, it's 3 WRs, a TE and RB vs my 6 (3 CBs, S and 2 LBers).

I just think I'd rather see some Cover 1's called over Cover 0.  Cover 0 is good to use sparingly, but we shouldn't be using it as much as we do.  Especially last year with both our safeties out and Madoodoo back there. Like I said, we aren't a good man to man team in the secondary, so if it's 3rd and 21, I'd be more apt to use cover 1, give them a 10 yard completion and make them punt.

-I don't think we ran it as much as you seem to think we did, just notable plays ie Cin/DAL.  We do run it a lot v Dallas, and that tells me they see something v Romo sits to pee.  IIRC R Jax INT came off a cover-0 in week 17.

-Our #1 CB is better in zone, but he does not encompass our entire secondary.  Wilson is better in man, our safeties aren't great at anything.  So I can't really get aboard with the notion that the Redskisn don't have a good man cover secondary

-I don't think cover-1 would be a good idea either, not on 3rd and 21 without a safety that can play sideline to sideline.  You're essentially allowing Dallas the same 1 on 1 coverage either with Miles or Dez v a CB, and you don't have the pressure in the QBs face you would on a cover-0.  If you're going to allow them the underneath routes, than I'd run cover-2 man-under.

Now, it it's 3rd and 10 or less, maybe sprinkling in some cover 0 would be OK.

I'd be more likely to use a cover-1 in 3rd and 10 then I would on 3rd and 20.  Would be worried about them getting me over the middle for a quick 10 yd pick up.  Since the QB won't need as much time to get a first down completion.

And how do I have "less" coverage if I'm playing a cover 1 zone as opposed to a cover 0 man to man? If I'm rushing my 3 down linemen and a linebacker, along with a blitzing LB or CB/S, I have 6 in coverage.  If they are going 3 wide and I'm in a nickel, it's 3 WRs, a TE and RB vs my 6 (3 CBs, S and 2 LBers).

You don't, I must not have made my point clearly.  You have less people in coverage than you would with a standard four man rush, was my point, and you still have no pressure on the QB.

I just think I'd rather see some Cover 1's called over Cover 0.  Cover 0 is good to use sparingly, but we shouldn't be using it as much as we do.  Especially last year with both our safeties out and Madoodoo back there. Like I said, we aren't a good man to man team in the secondary, so if it's 3rd and 21, I'd be more apt to use cover 1, give them a 10 yard completion and make them punt.

-I don't think we ran it as much as you seem to think we did, just notable plays ie Cin/DAL.  We do run it a lot v Dallas, and that tells me they see something v Romo sits to pee.  IIRC R Jax INT came off a cover-0 in week 17.

-Our #1 CB is better in zone, but he does not encompass our entire secondary.  Wilson is better in man, our safeties aren't great at anything.  So I can't really get aboard with the notion that the Redskisn don't have a good man cover secondary

-I don't think cover-1 would be a good idea either, not on 3rd and 21 without a safety that can play sideline to sideline.  You're essentially allowing Dallas the same 1 on 1 coverage either with Miles or Dez v a CB, and you don't have the pressure in the QBs face you would on a cover-0.  If you're going to allow them the underneath routes, than I'd run cover-2 man-under.

> Now, it it's 3rd and 10 or less, maybe sprinkling in some cover 0 would be OK.

I'd be more likely to use a cover-1 in 3rd and 10 then I would on 3rd and 20.  Would be worried about them getting me over the middle for a quick 10 yd pick up.  Since the QB won't need as much time to get a first down completion.

And how do I have "less" coverage if I'm playing a cover 1 zone as opposed to a cover 0 man to man? If I'm rushing my 3 down linemen and a linebacker, along with a blitzing LB or CB/S, I have 6 in coverage.  If they are going 3 wide and I'm in a nickel, it's 3 WRs, a TE and RB vs my 6 (3 CBs, S and 2 LBers).

You don't, I must not have made my point clearly.  You have less people in coverage than you would with a standard four man rush, was my point, and you still have no pressure on the QB.

Yeah, I don't think we're on the same page.  I'm picturing something else and I think you are also.  I think I'll just end it with, I don't like cover zero all that much based on the type of personel we have and think it's too high a risk, but that's why I'm typing on a computer and not in minicamp getting the defense ready.  Good Xs and Os conversation.  I learned something.

Last to first with a decimated D.  If it aint broke....

This is my biggest worry with Haslett.  He is very slow to fix what is broke and keeps going back to the well as if what didn't work the first five times will suddenly click on the sixth.  His defenses often are pretty predictable which is why even hen he is blitz crazy his blitzes are often picked up.

I approve this message 

If Hass continues to be our DC here, Sam Bradford will be a 1st time HOFer ballot. Hass was given a pretty good defense when he got here. Some may disagree, but I've witness GW create a way better defensive unit with less talent here. I can't wait for the day this clown gets the axe then everyone's eyes will become open to the talent we already have on our team. Watch when we get our new DC here. Our front seven will be force for the masses. Barry, Jenkins, Bowen, AK, Rak and AK, with a hint of Rob Jax. Then we will be considered real contenders by the rest of the NFL. I'll just hope for the best but expect for the worst. Reality is this, Hass was never a good coordinator in the NFL. So why do we think he will start to become one now so late in his career?

Yeah, I don't think we're on the same page.  I'm picturing something else and I think you are also.  I think I'll just end it with, I don't like cover zero all that much based on the type of personel we have and think it's too high a risk, but that's why I'm typing on a computer and not in minicamp getting the defense ready.  Good Xs and Os conversation.  I learned something.

Enjoying the conversation myself as well.

Just for clarification sake:

Cover-0:

Off man coverage, all players are either blitzing or in man.

Cover -1:

Off man coverage (unless you have a sideline to sidelines S or CB talent like Revis), single high safety, and ILB in  underneath zone, in some instances spying QB (depending on opponent), and in some rushing the QB.

If Hass continues to be our DC here, Sam Bradford will be a 1st time HOFer ballot. Hass was given a pretty good defense when he got here. Some may disagree, but I've witness GW create a way better defensive unit with less talent here. I can't wait for the day this clown gets the axe then everyone's eyes will become open to the talent we already have on our team. Watch when we get our new DC here. Our front seven will be force for the masses. Barry, Jenkins, Bowen, AK, Rak and AK, with a hint of Rob Jax. Then we will be considered real contenders by the rest of the NFL. I'll just hope for the best but expect for the worst. Reality is this, Hass was never a good coordinator in the NFL. So why do we think he will start to become one now so late in his career?

In ways, I miss Williams; I can only imagine him here with the current players, he'd prob have them in full beast mode from whistle to whistle.

Its sad he's involved in the circumstances of last year, because he had the ability to get every drop of aggressiveness out of every player. Yea, he took alot of chances, but that was his style.

Haslett just isn't that type of guy.  He's more mellow, quiet, even-keeled coach, which in some situations is a good thing, and i'm not sure, but he may have been the best choice at the time when Mike was looking.  Personalities clash, but the bottom line is winning; i'm just puzzled as to him being chosen by Mike, being he was a 4-3 coach, but as PJ said, thats why i'm pecking at this keyboard instead of being on the practice field...

You guys are re-writing history.

Haslett was a DC for 4.5 years prior to coming to the Redskins, two of those years were spent as the DC of the PIT 34 (Which the Redskins were trying to mimic). Haslett has been a DC 7.5 years total, and 5.5 of those years he's been coaching a 34. Though Haslett did say he wanted to run a 43 when he came here, due to personnel, not his background.

RE: Haslett has never been a good DC

Haslett did so poorly in PIT, that NO decided to give him their HC gig, and he immediately flopped there when he came in and won HC of the year.

Re: GW talent and aggression

Gregg Williams most certainly did not have less talent while he was the DC here. That's hardly debatable. Furthermore, Gregg Williams was rarely aggressive while he was running the Redskins defense, he became known for his cover-2 bend don't break, which was great if you cared about stats but rarely generated turnovers at any point in the game, and never got the needed stops down the stretch.

Haslett on the other hand has been known for his cover-0 all out blitz while he's been here, and he's been far more aggressive.

Do you guys know anything about this DC you bash so much?

Haslett was a DC for 4.5 years prior to coming to the Redskins, two of those years were spent as the DC of the PIT 34 (Which the Redskins were trying to mimic). Haslett has been a DC 7.5 years total, and 5.5 of those years he's been coaching a 34. Though Haslett did say he wanted to run a 43 when he came here, due to personnel, not his background.

Haslett did so poorly in PIT, that NO decided to give him their HC gig, and he immediately flopped there when he came in and won HC of the year.

Gregg Williams most certainly did not have less talent while he was the DC here. That's hardly debatable. Furthermore, Gregg Williams was rarely aggressive while he was running the Redskins defense, he became known for his cover-2 bend don't break, which was great if you cared about stats but rarely generated turnovers at any point in the game, and never got the needed stops down the stretch.

Haslett on the other hand has been known for his cover-0 all out blitz while he's been here, and he's been far more aggressive.

LOL So if we fire JH where will he be working at? What team is going to take a chance on him? No one , This was the same thing I was arguing with people about Anthony Armstrong? LMAO, 0-o  JH is going to get fired this season because of the media and fan pressure this year. He's as good as gone to predicatable for this new era of the NFL. 

LOL So if we fire JH where will he be working at? What team is going to take a chance on him? No one , This was the same thing I was arguing with people about Anthony Armstrong? LMAO, 0-o  JH is going to get fired this season because of the media and fan pressure this year. He's as good as gone to predicatable for this new era of the NFL. 

:ols: Yeah, Shanny is constantly doing things because of "fan pressure"  :ols:

What are you basing this off of?  Since 1995 Haslett has either been a DC/HC aside from one season. This leads you to believe no one will hire him?

If Haslett is so predictable, why does he have some of his best games v the division?  Look at Dallas this year, NYG throughout his time here, and even PHI this year.  The teams that without a doubt know his tendencies the best.

Archived