Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Puerto Ricans to vote on U.S. territorial status

visionary

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/04/us-usa-campaign-puertorico-idUSBRE8A30DP20121104

Puerto Ricans to vote on U.S. territorial status

Puerto Ricans, long divided over the U.S. Caribbean territory's political status, head to the polls on Tuesday in a vote that will help determine whether the island seeks to become the 51st U.S. state.

Debate over the island's status has long dominated politics in Puerto Rico, where political parties are formed around the preference for statehood, independence or its current status as a self-governing commonwealth.

Puerto Ricans have voted to remain a U.S. territory in four previous votes held since 1967, but the margin of victory has decreased over the years.

The plebiscite was proposed by Republican Governor Luis Fortuno, president of the New Progressive Party, which supports statehood. It is alternately viewed by Puerto Ricans as an opportunity to improve the island's economic future, a chance to shake off the vestiges of its colonial past or a ploy by Fortuno to win a second term.

The vote coincides with gubernatorial and municipal elections. Supporters of the current status describe it as a bilateral pact that allows the island some autonomy while enjoying being a part of the United States. But critics say it means Puerto Rico is in effect a colony under the complete authority of the U.S. Congress.

Under its current commonwealth status, Puerto Ricans living on the island are U.S. citizens but they cannot vote in presidential elections and their only representation in Congress is a non-voting member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Most Puerto Ricans pay no federal income tax, but they contribute to the Social Security retirement program, are eligible to receive federal welfare benefits and have long served in the armed forces

What should happen is that PR should become an independent country. There's should be no other option. No option to remain as it is and no option for it to become the 51st state, unless we remove Texas. ;) 50 states is fine.

Frankly, it should be an independent country.

Why?

What should happen is that PR should become an independent country. There's should be no other option. No option to remain as it is and no option for it to become the 51st state, unless we remove Texas. ;) 50 states is fine.

Frankly, it should be an independent country.

We can always merge some of those pudunk states that would fit in my backyard :evilg:

sounds like they got pretty sweet deal going right now

Yeah, thats going to screw up the flag but I'd bet that whoever makes the flags would approve since every government office, military base, navy ship, etc. in the country would have to buy new flags.

We have to buy them anyway given normal turnover from weather damage. I for one really want Puerto Rico to become a state (and our Pacific Island territories as well). They're all Americans so it is past time for Statehood. Plus once a state always a state.

Most Puerto Ricans pay no federal income tax, but they contribute to the Social Security retirement program, are eligible to receive federal welfare benefits and have long served in the armed forces

I have a friend who was born in PR. Statehood became a topic in the last election (2008) and I asked him a lot about this. He said that the divide is so even that it will likely never happen. The tax issue is the biggest issue that narrowly divides the public away from wanting statehood. I can't believe I'm about to write this... but FOX News seemed to be the only major network that cared to even discuss the issue in 2008... and <gasp!> many of the talking heads were actually fair and balanced on the issue (Not Hannity though...).

(ugh... I need to go take a shower now.)

My friend said that despite what is reported in the U.S. media, the issue of statehood is not as big as we mainlanders think it is. I don't agree with him though.

EDIT: I think the issue was controversial during the 2010 election rather than the 2008...

We can always merge some of those pudunk states that would fit in my backyard :evilg:

sounds like they got pretty sweet deal going right now

Since Texas would like secession(you CANNOT deny that your elected officials have advocated for such action), we'll just let ya'll go(and your federal claims for hurricane relief)and take Puerto Rico. My boss and wife are from there (been here since the 80's)and he's a small business owner/job creator. We have 6 new people on board this year, who have stayed, so tax bonuses abound. For a small business, which is what Romney knows something about? NOT. He knows BIG business.

Archived