Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: Puerto Ricans to vote on U.S. territorial status

visionary

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/07/puerto-rico-approves-statehood/

Puerto Rico approves statehood

A slim majority of Puerto Ricans voted Tuesday to approve a non-binding referendum that would make the island the 51st U.S. state. The measure requires final approval from Congress, so it means little for Puerto Rico right now. Still, nearly 54 percent of Puerto Ricans voted for “estadidad” — and President Obama promised to uphold their vote in the case of a “clear majority.”

Puerto Rico is currently classified as a U.S. territory, a designation dating back to the Spanish-American War. Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens but cannot vote in presidential elections, and their commissioner in the House of Representatives holds limited power. According to the language on the ballot, the statehood referendum would give them “rights, benefits and responsibilities equal to those enjoyed by all other citizens of the states of the union.”

So now, the results will be sent to the Obama administration... who will then charge the leaders of Congress to accept or deny their request for U.S. statehood.

This will be interesting... and it will make for a great conversation among each of us as the process unfolds.

So now, the results will be sent to the Obama administration... who will then charge the leaders of Congress to accept or deny their request for U.S. statehood.

This will be interesting... and it will make for a great conversation among each of us as the process unfolds.

Any idea when this would start to take place?

It would be political. Same reason DC doesn't get statehood - Republicans don't want to give Democrats more Senators and Congressmen.

I thought that PR was more conservative leaning politically though? Why do you believe that the Democrats would benefit? (I am not super current on their politics now , its just something O had hared in the recent past)

What wold be the rationale for denying statehood?

I say let them in!

Just a few thoughts and speculation...

-Many anti-statehood supporters will claim the question on the ballot was written in such a way to lead voters to select statehood. They will argue for another referendum that is more clear and explicit to the voting public.

-Puerto Rico tends to be a Republican type of "state" so perhaps Dem's in Congress would not like to have their vote diluted. (this is COMPLETE speculation on my part.)

-completely changes the electoral college nationwide. (not necessarily a bad thing... but a lot of work.)

-debate on whether the gov't of PR is is fundamentally sound enough to transition into statehood. (I'm sure it will be argued.)

If the GOP really wanted to work on their "too white" image, it could go a long way for them to embrace Puerto Rican statehood and help them.

Any idea when this would start to take place?

I would love to know!

I've been on the google machine all day and I can't find info.

My gut says this whole thing will die before it starts. They have been split on the issue of statehood for decades. I find it hard to believe it's suddenly going to break one way or another.

What wold be the rationale for denying statehood?

I say let them in!

They've held this vote several times every decade since the 1950's. From the perspective of Porto Rica many opposed it because frankly they received more US Tax Dollars as a territory than they will as a State.

From the US perspective I could see some politicians not wanting to let them in because it would forever end the discussion of English being the official language of the US. Other than that US policy has pretty much been whatever you guys decide... statehood, independence, or status quo as a territory... you let us know it's all good.

We had to make that clear to them cause the Porto Rica independence movement tried to assassinate Truman in the vP residence in the 1950's to achieve indepence... We were like dude's... no need for that just tell us what you want... Coarse the problem with that was the Porto Ricans were pretty much split a third a third a third.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 03:56 PM ----------

Puerto Rico should become a state at some time in the near future, "should" being the key word there. Unfortunately, political machinations could halt it.

Naw they have to clear the decks... Puerto Rico will get in sooner, cause Mexico is on the horizon.. It's really the 21st century Manifest Destiny to expand the US boarder south to Panama.

I thought that PR was more conservative leaning politically though? Why do you believe that the Democrats would benefit? (I am not super current on their politics now , its just something O had hared in the recent past)
The conventional wisdom in Florida seemed to be that Puerto Ricans were supporting Obama while Cubans were supporting Romney: http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2012/11/04/puerto-ricans-are-key-in-florida-presidential-vote

I do think it's generally true that Puerto Ricans are more moderate in their views (because illegal immigration isn't much of an issue for them), but I believe that they lean Democratic.

Hispanics went 60% democrat in 2012.. coarse bush won them in 2004 and 2008..

just to play devils advocate...

If I was a congressional politician, I would call into question border security and I completely understand that Puerto Rico is an island. At the moment, the illegal port of entry easiest to get is FL. But I wonder about the security of Puerto Rico... I fully admit that I know nothing about their security concerning their neighbors (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Jamaica).

I could see Puerto Rico becoming an immigration liability if it did not have an adequate system in place to deal with it. I would request a review of it. Additionally, I will not be remotely surprised to read in the news in the coming weeks and months about people flocking to PR in anticipation of statehood approval.

Just review the map below...

caribnew.gif

Hispanics went 60% democrat in 2012.. coarse bush won them in 2004 and 2008..

That is true, but How do Puerto Ricans map out? Again, I have heard recently that they lean conservative there more than liberal. Not sure if thats true, but I wouldnt assume PR goes Dem unless Dems are responsible for them getting statehood and the GOP fights it. Neither of which I feel will occur

I could see Puerto Rico becoming an immigration liability if it did not have an adequate system in place to deal with it. I would request a review of it. Additionally, I will not be remotely surprised to read in the news in the coming weeks and months about people flocking to PR in anticipation of statehood approval.
Right now, if you are born in Puerto Rico you are a US citizen. So illegals can already try to go there. Becoming a state wouldn't change that.

just to play devils advocate...

If I was a congressional politician, I would call into question border security and I completely understand that Puerto Rico is an island. At the moment, the illegal port of entry easiest to get is FL. But I wonder about the security of Puerto Rico... I fully admit that I know nothing about their security related to their neighbors (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Jamaica).

Just review the map below...

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/caribnew.gif

Does them being a state make that much of a difference though in terms of immigration there?

Right now, if you are born in Puerto Rico you are a US citizen. So illegals can already try to go there. Becoming a state wouldn't change that.

I know that.

I'm talking about the citizens of the OTHER islands going to Puerto Rico as an entry point to the U.S.

Does them being a state make that much of a difference though in terms of immigration there?

I don't know.

I'm completely speculating and playing devils advocate... I'm genuinely curious though!

I know that.

I'm talking about the citizens of the OTHER islands going to Puerto Rico.

But people from other islands can go to Puerto Rico now and would be in the United States. How would Puerto Rico becoming a state change that at all?

But people from other islands can go to Puerto Rico now and would be in the United States. How would Puerto Rico becoming a state change that at all?

we're discussing "what if's" and I can't answer this question.

As stated before... this referendum would go before congress and they would approve or deny the request for statehood.

I'm simply offering points that "may" be brought up as the issue is debated.

I'm curious how all the pro-statehood and anti-statehood politicians would argue their case. Anything I've written in this thread is my guess at what some may bring up, whether they're valid points or not. Who knows, it may not even be that kind of process.

I do not know the formal process of applying for statehood in congress. I would love to know! Especially since it doesn't happen often.

My old age won't allow me to remember the year, but I remember one year where it was up for debate and the "mainland" government wanted Puerto Rico to be a state but wanted 2 make it this only if Guam agreed as well. Guam didn't want it so the government, to my old memory, wasn't sure if they should have statehood.

My personal opinion is, in this day and age, if we're going to call them part of the U.S., they should get full benefits and become a state. Yeah paying federal taxes sucks, but you also get other benefits that the taxes should pay for.

Archived