Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Morgan Spurlock, Documentarian Known for ‘Super Size Me,’ Dies at 53

China

Morgan Spurlock, Documentarian Known for ‘Super Size Me,’ Dies at 53

Morgan Spurlock, a documentary filmmaker best known for the Oscar-nominated 2004 film “Super Size Me,” which followed him as he ate nothing but McDonald’s for 30 days, died on Thursday. He was 53.

His brother Craig Spurlock confirmed the death in a statement to The Associated Press, and said the cause was complications from cancer. The statement did not say where he died.

Click on the link for the full article

So high doses of fast food causes cancer as well?

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, China said:

So high doses of fast food causes cancer as well?

I mean, probably.

But I think we learned after that doc that he was consuming alcohol regularly that swayed the results. 

I liked his content in general though. He had a couple spinoff shows that played off of Super Sized Me format. 

Safe home. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I mean, probably.

But I think we learned after that doc that he was consuming alcohol regularly that swayed the results. 

Glad you pointed this out.

And cancer doesn't care, my Dad's best friend died from lung cancer even though he was never a smoker.

7 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I mean, probably.

I liked his content in general though. He had a couple spinoff shows that played off of Super Sized Me format. 

Safe home. 

From reading other sources, he was a heavy whiskey drinker…. and his liver was pretty shot.

So everyone can keep eating their Big Macs!! 😂

Posted (edited)

Wasn't the whole deal with Super Size Me was that he had to get the super size meal when asked. And he was asked nearly every time. So the point he was making, I thought in the doc, was that the super size option was extremely unhealthy and that McDs was pushing it on people non stop. 

It's been awhile though..so maybe I'm giving him too much credit. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 5/24/2024 at 11:52 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Wasn't the whole deal with Super Size Me was that he had to get the super size meal when asked. And he was asked nearly every time. So the point he was making, I thought in the doc, was that the super size option was extremely unhealthy and that McDs was pushing it on people non stop. 

Nope, thats right. I remember the super sized option, we ALL got it and we all ate it all. I'm not even fat, never been fat a day in my life, even I would up that ****...I'd do it now if I could.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:52 PM, The Evil Genius said:

He was also an alcoholic, so it's hard to pin his health issues on his McDonald's meal when there was another huge factor at play.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

He was also an alcoholic, so it's hard to pin his health issues on his McDonald's meal when there was another huge factor at play.

I get that. But I do think the point about McDs always asking people to super size their meals was made effectively. 

Especially since McDs stopped it almost immediately.  

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I get that. But I do think the point about McDs always asking people to super size their meals was made effectively. 

Especially since McDs stopped it almost immediately.  

Right. And...it's been a while, but the alcohol was a constant. Didn't he take some basic health metrics before and after this experiment with the major variable being the Super Sizes? If he was a drinker before, that's still a pretty decent demonstration. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Complicated Legacy of ‘Super Size Me’

The fuzzy line between the man Morgan Spurlock and his work results in a thorny legacy for the late, disgraced documentarian’s most influential film, Super Size Me, which turned 20 this year

There’s an awkward scene toward the beginning of Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! — the unheralded sequel to the Oscar-nominated Super Size Me documentary — where Morgan Spurlock calls to inquire about procuring a bank loan to buy his own chicken farm. “Are you a filmmaker?” the bank manager asks, upon learning that the caller’s name is Morgan Spurlock. “Yes, I’m a filmmaker,” Spurlock answers, “and a chicken farmer.” The audience is clued in on the joke; the plot centers around Spurlock raising chickens for his new farm-to-table fast-food restaurant, Holy Chicken. When the manager abruptly terminates the call, we all know why.

https://www.eater.com/24173039/morgan-spurlock-legacy-super-size-me

Idk why the manager abruptly terminated the call.

and, I don’t get the supposed joke that the audience is clued in on.

Like more than I care to admit in the humor thread, 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1