Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Rookie camp/OTA/Training camp thread.

14 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I love hearing that. It's about damn time.

4 seasons?

More like 4 decades. Its impressive how stubborn our DCs have been to adapt.

EDIT: To this day I am convinced our OL has been TERRIBLE vs stunts over that period, because our own defense didn't do it in practice.  Maybe the scout team for a few reps. Defenses are attacking chaotically and it is now the norm.  Just like our offense never embraced hurry up, we missed the boat when these new era things were all the rage.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

20 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Mariota has either been training with Donovan McNabb in the offseason, or he bought stock in sod companies.

Still don’t get bringing in Mariota as the backup. Let’s hope he never sees the field.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Forbes 15 pounds heavier?!  That would be the best news of the week. Month. Off season.

2023 at 168 lbs, 40 time 4.35, can’t stay with starting #1, #2  WRs.  2024 at 183 lbs, 40 time 4.48, can’t stay with #1, #2, #3, #4 WRs. His problem wasn’t his physicality, it was his experience.  His best asset was his spreed. Now thats average, and he’s still only 183 lbs.

Edited by kfrankie
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Still don’t get bringing in Mariota as the backup. Let’s hope he never sees the field.

Agreed.  Trading Howell is the only move the new regime has made that I disagree with. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

2024 at 183 lbs, 40 time 4.48, can’t stay with #1, #2, #3, #4 WRs. His problem wasn’t his physicality, it was his experience.  His best asset was his spreed. Now thats average, and he’s still only 183 lbs.

Almost every word in this paragraph is complete speculation. 

You have no clue whatsoever what the weight gain did to his speed much less having a number down to one hundredth of a second.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just an FYI for "nothing else to doers" and addicts fiending for a fix-- the NFL Network and ESPN are currently broadcasting their annual "Training Camp: Back Together Weekend" program. 

Live round robin coverage with talking head commentary and exclusive interviews of all the training camp practices today.

Expect special emphasis on the teams with rookie first round quarterbacks.

It started at 10am and will be on until 2pm eastern time, at which point national coverage transfers to your local ABC affiliate until 4pm.

Enjoy!

P.S.

Oh, and I heard a rumor that they've also got some minor sporting event going on in Paris that might be worth split screening with the NFL coverage.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

35 minutes ago, mojo said:

Agreed.  Trading Howell is the only move the new regime has made that I disagree with. 

Why? We got INSANE value trading a guy who was a legit bottom 5 starting QB and likely career backup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Why? We got INSANE value trading a guy who was a legit bottom 5 starting QB and likely career backup. 

Yeah, I liked Howell but I thought we got a good return.  It’s early obviously but Howell is having a god awful camp, looking like 3rd on the depth chart.

• Like 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I liked Howell but I thought we got a good return.  It’s early obviously but Howell is having a god awful camp, looking like 3rd on the depth chart.

I mean don't get me wrong I like Howell, and if we ended up picking like 15th I'd have been fine running it back with him and trying to see what he can do in a better scheme.

But he's absolutely not a franchise QB type prospect that you can build your program around. And the value we got for him was way higher than most other bottom tier QBs and/or backups were getting. Not sure why anyone would be upset about trading him.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The value was decent, not insane. For me it’s not so much trading Howell (though I would have kept him personally - good backup on a cheap rookie deal) it’s what we replaced him with. 

Mariota looked like hot garbage when he had to play for the Eagles last season - and flamed out and then walked out on the Falcons. It early but camp reports don’t sound promising.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The other part of the Howell equation is team chemistry. You know you're drafting a rookie and demoting last year's starter to backup. A lot of rookie QBs struggle early. How long before that situation creates a QB controversy? How long before that creates a media fiasco and then potentially splits the locker room? 

Keeping Howell would have been an invitation to off-field distraction that this team most certainly doesn't need. I'm not saying that necessarily would have been the case but imo it was the right move to avoid it entirely while still getting a decent return.

It's part of what the unified vision is all about, everyone being on the same page. Nobody is thrilled about Mariota potentially having to play but at least we all know he's not a real starting QB. But there would have been people calling for Howell at the very first sight of trouble and we don't need that. Nobody will be calling for Mariota to replace an uninjured Daniels if he makes the typical rookie mistakes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sinews said:

The other part of the Howell equation is team chemistry. You know you're drafting a rookie and demoting last year's starter to backup. A lot of rookie QBs struggle early. How long before that situation creates a QB controversy? How long before that creates a media fiasco and then potentially splits the locker room? 

Keeping Howell would have been an invitation to off-field distraction that this team most certainly doesn't need.

That has a good chance of happening in that scenario whether you keep Howell or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

That has a good chance of happening in that scenario whether you keep Howell or not.

That's a pretty low view of this fanbase, lol, but I won't disagree. I'm sure there are some casual fans who would think it's a good idea.

I just think the degree of likelihood and intensity of coverage would be much, *much* higher if Howell were backup. 

Edited by sinews

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The value was decent, not insane. For me it’s not so much trading Howell (though I would have kept him personally - good backup on a cheap rookie deal) it’s what we replaced him with. 

Mariota looked like hot garbage when he had to play for the Eagles last season - and flamed out and then walked out on the Falcons. It early but camp reports don’t sound promising.

Marriota’s first job and primary reason for being here is mentor.  Howell is in desperate need of a mentor himself and useless as a backup for this team AT THIS TIME…

We all hope that Daniels doesn’t miss any time from the field but if he does, the mentorship will continue as will the build for the future 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I didn’t catch the games or recall Mariota's time with the Eagles last season, but during his one season with the Falcons, he was part of an offense that led the league in rush attempts, was third in rushing yards, and tied for third in least interceptions thrown. Atlanta was 15th in scoring that year. 

Mariota is a backup, but a solid one, especially considering his style and attributes align well with Kingsbury and Daniels. He has the potential to outperform many people’s favorite QBs ranked 8-25, depending on the game.

For selfish reasons, I’ll point out once again that to get the best out of Howell, a franchise must fully embrace his LB mentality when it comes to running the football. This approach is crucial for him to impact games consistently at a QB level comparable to the 8-25 range. Think of him as a poor man’s Tim Tebow in terms of running the football, but with a bit more passing ability. His running also seemed to give him access to his alter ego, allowing him to fully express himself and let the DOG out. 

23 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Marriota’s first job and primary reason for being here is mentor.  Howell is in desperate need of a mentor himself and useless as a backup for this team AT THIS TIME…

We all hope that Daniels doesn’t miss any time from the field but if he does, the mentorship will continue as will the build for the future 

I’m not sure Mariota has shown any real reason to think he’s a good mentor. When he was with the Falcons with a rookie alongside him he walked out on the team when he was benched. 

It is what it is - but I was surprised when Mariota was brought in as the vet backup/competition. 

The obvious question then would be what/who was the alternative. Jamie’s Winston would have been my choice if we’d decided it was better for a fresh start for Howell. No idea if he was ever on play or would have had interest in coming here.

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’m not sure Mariota has shown any real reason to think he’s a good mentor. When he was with the Falcons with a rookie alongside him he walked out on the team when he was benched. 

It is what it is - but I was surprised when Mariota was brought in as the vet backup/competition. 

The obvious question then would be what/who was the alternative. Jamie’s Winston would have been my choice if we’d decided it was better for a fresh start for Howell. No idea if he was ever on play or would have had interest in coming here.

I think Winston wants to retire in New Orleans. Could be under the wrong impression, but that's my feeling.

I am also skeptical of Mariota as a mentor. But I do think they signed him to get the Top 2 string offenses running similar stuff in training camp. Who starts at OT or WR? No idea, but at least both QB's give them similar-ish play styles to play around.