Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Posted (edited)

I posted more from this article in the FO thread

Adam Peters didn't tell many people inside the Washington Commanders organization what he planned to do with the second pick of the 2024 NFL Draft until after the draft actually began. By then, no one was surprised that he was selecting LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels.

The surprise was that nobody seemed to disagree.

"I can't remember the last time there wasn't some fighting about a draft pick," said a source in the Commanders organization, "or at least some griping behind each other's backs.

"Things sure feel different around here now."

....For example, when Harris bought the Commanders, he made it a priority to beef up the analytics department, hiring Eugene Shen as the senior vice president of football strategy about three months before he hired Peters. Peters, according to a team source, has leaned on the new department heavily, but not at the expense of good, old-fashioned scouting.

The choice of Daniels, he said, was made in large part because of what he saw on film. Peters said Daniels jumped to the head of the pack the first time he watched him and thought "I honestly couldn't believe how good he was." But he then worked with the analytics department and the scouts, according to a team source, to help confirm his choice, without ever truly revealing a preference.

That was different too. It appears that Peters' inner circle on the most important decision of his tenure so far was limited to Quinn, Harris, and Bob Myers, the front office consultant who previously ran the NBA's Golden State Warriors. Others, like offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, were brought in along the way, according to a team source, and at least told which way Peters was leaving.

But many others — including key members of Harris' ownership group — weren't told until the morning of the draft. And most of the front office and scouting department weren't told until the Chicago Bears were on the clock for the first overall pick.

That prevented leaks, which in previous years had been prevalent. Some in the organization even thought Peters might have been leaning towards Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy, who reportedly was his second choice. But just as importantly, it gave a chance for almost everyone involved in the process to weigh in, to feel they were a valued part of it, instead of going through the motions while assuming Peters had already made up his mind.

"It's having an aligned vision," Peters said. "(It's) having collaboration, having inclusion with everybody, everybody pulling in the same direction. That's how we did it in San Francisco and that's what allows you to get through, not just the good times, but that's what allows you to get through the tough times as well."

Again, none of that is a revolutionary approach. Collaboration, building a culture, changing the thinking is the goal of every new GM that steps in and tries to overhaul a flailing franchise.

But it feels especially new in Washington, where chaos and controversy ruled for far too long. It was a place where for too often it seemed like decisions were made simply to plug holes so the people in charge could stop the ship from sinking, or maybe just save themselves.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/adam-peters-reshaping-football-in-washington

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted more from this article in the FO thread

Adam Peters didn't tell many people inside the Washington Commanders organization what he planned to do with the second pick of the 2024 NFL Draft until after the draft actually began. By then, no one was surprised that he was selecting LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels.

The surprise was that nobody seemed to disagree.

"I can't remember the last time there wasn't some fighting about a draft pick," said a source in the Commanders organization, "or at least some griping behind each other's backs.

"Things sure feel different around here now."

....For example, when Harris bought the Commanders, he made it a priority to beef up the analytics department, hiring Eugene Shen as the senior vice president of football strategy about three months before he hired Peters. Peters, according to a team source, has leaned on the new department heavily, but not at the expense of good, old-fashioned scouting.

The choice of Daniels, he said, was made in large part because of what he saw on film. Peters said Daniels jumped to the head of the pack the first time he watched him and thought "I honestly couldn't believe how good he was." But he then worked with the analytics department and the scouts, according to a team source, to help confirm his choice, without ever truly revealing a preference.

That was different too. It appears that Peters' inner circle on the most important decision of his tenure so far was limited to Quinn, Harris, and Bob Myers, the front office consultant who previously ran the NBA's Golden State Warriors. Others, like offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, were brought in along the way, according to a team source, and at least told which way Peters was leaving.

But many others — including key members of Harris' ownership group — weren't told until the morning of the draft. And most of the front office and scouting department weren't told until the Chicago Bears were on the clock for the first overall pick.

That prevented leaks, which in previous years had been prevalent. Some in the organization even thought Peters might have been leaning towards Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy, who reportedly was his second choice. But just as importantly, it gave a chance for almost everyone involved in the process to weigh in, to feel they were a valued part of it, instead of going through the motions while assuming Peters had already made up his mind.

"It's having an aligned vision," Peters said. "(It's) having collaboration, having inclusion with everybody, everybody pulling in the same direction. That's how we did it in San Francisco and that's what allows you to get through, not just the good times, but that's what allows you to get through the tough times as well."

Again, none of that is a revolutionary approach. Collaboration, building a culture, changing the thinking is the goal of every new GM that steps in and tries to overhaul a flailing franchise.

But it feels especially new in Washington, where chaos and controversy ruled for far too long. It was a place where for too often it seemed like decisions were made simply to plug holes so the people in charge could stop the ship from sinking, or maybe just save themselves.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/adam-peters-reshaping-football-in-washington

It’s very interesting to me that Peters used the Analytics department to confirm his choice (without telling them who he was leaning toward, thus removing the bias of pleasing the boss) and it was Daniels they landed on. 

Interesting to me mostly because the online analytics community around the NFL was crowing about a few stats in particular that they thought made him basically untouchable. I wish I could ask Shen for details. Clearly they either valued different numbers or had different numbers entirely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope they spend a signficant amount of time coaching Daniels on how to protect his body when hit, how to properly slide, and to run out of bounds when scrambling. 

We don't need him routinely taking Looney Tunes-like hits every time he runs with the ball.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It’s very interesting to me that Peters used the Analytics department to confirm his choice (without telling them who he was leaning toward, thus removing the bias of pleasing the boss) and it was Daniels they landed on. 

Interesting to me mostly because the online analytics community around the NFL was crowing about a few stats in particular that they thought made him basically untouchable. I wish I could ask Shen for details. Clearly they either valued different numbers or had different numbers entirely. 

Yeah the article clearly comes off that this was Peters guy by a mile.  But he wanted to see if the anayltics and scouting department agreed with him.

I think though it became a bit over the top on the QB thread about the analytics community preferring Maye where it wasn't really that clear to me on that front that there was a major distinction.  The PFF guys specifically preferred Maye but they also said its a tough call, they had the two close.  The Football Outsiders guy preferred Daniels by a good margin.  And Warren Sharp also preferred Daniels by a good margin.  

The main stat some were hung up on was pressure to sack.  But the irony for that was Maye and Daniels number on that front last year was almost identical.  The thing is though Daniels number was a bit inflated on that front factoring context because blowing up designed runs in the backfield counted as sack to pressure.  Also I read somewhere that Daniels had one of the best stats as for not losing many yards on the sacks -- so those sacks were rarely egregious sacks.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m sold.

Hartman QB2 and cut Mariota.

You got lost in his eyes didn't u? They will do that to u.

Until I see how JD protects himself on gameday I think I need 3 QBs and I'm reserved to that.

QB2/QB3 order would not matter too much to me if they see something in ol' Rugged-McManly.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Teams will target him, like the cardinals tried to kill Sam last year.

Every guy that steps behind center is a target. It's #5 and the coaches jobs to make them pay. Unfortunately Sam and last year's staff lacked those tools.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m sold.

Hartman QB2 and cut Mariota.

He is dreamy :806:

I still wish we had held onto Howell and his first contract salary cap hit or Brissett if the vet was required.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the article clearly comes off that this was Peters guy by a mile.  But he wanted to see if the anayltics and scouting department agreed with him.

I think though it became a bit over the top on the QB thread about the analytics community preferring Maye where it wasn't really that clear to me on that front that there was a major distinction.  The PFF guys specifically preferred Maye but they also said its a tough call, they had the two close.  The Football Outsiders guy preferred Daniels by a good margin.  And Warren Sharp also preferred Daniels by a good margin.  

The main stat some were hung up on was pressure to sack.  But the irony for that was Maye and Daniels number on that front last year was almost identical.  The thing is though Daniels number was a bit inflated on that front factoring context because blowing up designed runs in the backfield counted as sack to pressure.  Also I read somewhere that Daniels had one of the best stats as for not losing many yards on the sacks -- so those sacks were rarely egregious sacks.

That is exactly my argument against the emphasis put on the stat and why I thought it was good information, but lacking context. He was obviously going to take sacks at a higher rate. He had an option the other guys didn’t and he was told to use it. All that said, he only had 22 last season. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly, the pressure to sack ratio wasn't quite as concerning to me as his really high percentage of times that he ran when pressured and moved out of the pocket vs make an off platform throw. That is an issue for me because, if he doesn't improve on it and keeps running at the same percentage when pressured, that's going to increase the chances of hits which will increase the chances of getting injured.

Not that he can't make off platform throws. He can. He just did it at a really low rate vs running compared to other QBs.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He is dreamy :806:

I still wish we had held onto Howell and his first contract salary cap hit or Brissett if the vet was required.

I just don’t want Mariota

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Teams will target him, like the cardinals tried to kill Sam last year.

Not good. Exactly why I think coaching him to take hits and avoid hits is almost as important as footwork, throwing motion, learning the playbook.

In fact, I think he can do the other stuff quite well. He has yet to show he knows how to protect his body.

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

Not good. Exactly why I think coaching him to take hits and avoid hits is almost as important as footwork, throwing motion, learning the playbook.

In fact, I think he can do the other stuff quite well. He has yet to show he knows how to protect his body.

Couple that with the fact that we don’t really have a certain left tackle option and we’re flirting with disaster. 

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

Couple that with the fact that we don’t really have a certain left tackle option and we’re flirting with disaster. 

It's why I'm not giddy like others about our shiny new QB yet. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

They didn’t put DQ in that shirt and get him in front of media for no reason. It’s at minimum a trial balloon.

We need to add as much hot air to that balloon as we can so the florios of the world can't shoot it down.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just please learn to convert most of those runs into off schedule passes!!! He needs to save the crazy, go for broke, risk your body runs for appropriate situations where there is something huge on the line.  Not a regular season game. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1