Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

22 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Doesn't matter to us, but don't agree about Penix.  That was a good pick IMO and they had the QBs rated appropriately.

They said today they are willing to

let him sit 4-5 years.  You don’t waste a Top 10 first round pick like that.

Cousins is gauranteed 100 million for 2 years but in 2026 Atlanta needs to move on and start Pennix.  The Raiders though should offer Atlanta picks for Cousins.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, illone said:

No way you trade Allen or Payne. 

There's always a potential reason to deal a guy, especially with new management coming in. Sometimes new management tears everything down and brings in all of their own guys although that doesn't seem to be the case here. Besides that, Jonathon Allen is heading into his 8th year and the prime time to deal him to a contender is likely right around now, especially after the draft pick of Newton? If dealing Allen can land us an Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel that might be a deal that Peters is very intrigued by? You can also take the money you would've owed Allen to pay Aiyuk or Deebo.....makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

You call a top 10 pick who wont see the field till 2027 at the earliest and who currently is 23 years old a good pick?  When you had a glaring need on D…. Agree to disagree on that 1  

But that is different than a reach.   The original comment was about it being a huge “reach”.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Cousins is gauranteed 100 million for 2 years but in 2026 Atlanta needs to move on and start Pennix.  The Raiders though should offer Atlanta picks for Cousins.

He isn't sitting 4-5 years, we both know that.  Kirk won't play 5 more years, and the only reason Penix isn't playing by then will because he isn't any good.  Age won't the issue.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

He isn't sitting 4-5 years, we both know that.  Kirk won't play 5 more years, and the only reason Penix isn't playing by then will because he isn't any good.  Age won't the issue.

Agreed.

On one hand, I agree they shoulda told Kirk they planned to draft a QB BEFORE he signed a 4 year deal.

Same time he's 35 years old coming off an Achilles injury.

What did he think the Falcons were gonna do? 

This looks like a contract that doesn't seem too painful to get out of in two years, did he read it?

https://overthecap.com/player/kirk-cousins/1443

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It’s still a waste of a valuable rookie QB contract. That’s a huge part of the value of having a rookie QB. Having your QB on a cheap contract. It’s egregiously bad team building. 

Are we really at the point where we decide not to draft good QBs because of the contract?  Would we prefer not to have a good player at the most important position if we can't take advantage of the rookie deal?  I suspect that isn't what anyone would prefer.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Doesn't matter to us, but don't agree about Penix.  That was a good pick IMO and they had the QBs rated appropriately.

Honest question. How is it a good pick when Penix wont even see the field until he is 27 years old? They could have added another weapon for Cousins. Or an edge. I like Penix. But imo that pick was horrid.

27 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Thats what makes it an even dumber pick. They cant trade Cousins for 2 years without taking a massive dead cap hit. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Honest question. How is it a good pick when Penix wont even see the field until he is 27 years old? They could have added another weapon for Cousins. Or an edge. I like Penix. But imo that pick was horrid.

Im totally baffled by this question.  If Penix turns out to be a franchise QB at the age of 27, you think its a waste?  It is the defining position for a franchise, how in the world would having a 27 year old franchise defining player be considered a horrid choice?

3 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Im totally baffled by this question.  If Penix turns out to be a franchise QB at the age of 27, you think its a waste?  It is the defining position for a franchise, how in the world would having a 27 year old franchise defining player be considered a horrid choice?

Because you didnt add a damn thing that helps your team for 2 or 3 years. Thats why. 

10 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Are we really at the point where we decide not to draft good QBs because of the contract?  Would we prefer not to have a good player at the most important position if we can't take advantage of the rookie deal?  I suspect that isn't what anyone would prefer.  

I had forgotten that Kirk is 35, but still. He just signed a 4 year, 180 million dollar contract with 100 million guaranteed. If the goal is to win a Super Bowl while you have a QB, you don’t spend a top 10 pick on his backup. I don’t know anybody else that really thinks that drafting Penix was a good idea, but I guess that you do. 

And yes, it’s a waste of one of the benefits of having a QB on a rookie contract.

Anyway, back to our draft. I loved the Newton pick. I think I’d rather have Cooper DeJean than Mike Sainristil and Ben Sinnott, but maybe that trade will pan out ok. Honestly, I’d rather have had Beebe than Sinnott at that spot. But I guess we will see. 

I think we’d all feel better if the team had done more at tackle. I’m still hoping we add a tackle in free agency or via trade. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Because you didnt add a damn thing that helps your team for 2 or 3 years. Thats why. 

So what.  That isn't what the draft is for.  The draft is about setting the damn team up for the future.  

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I had forgotten that Kirk is 35, but still. He just signed a 4 year, 180 million dollar contract with 100 million guaranteed. If the goal is to win a Super Bowl while you have a QB, you don’t spend a top 10 pick on his backup. I don’t know anybody else that really thinks that drafting Penix was a good idea, but I guess that you do. 

It was a good idea because Kirk is 35 and....nevermind.  Why the hell am i fighting this fight?

I would love to peek at Peters' big board and where they think other teams would have taken guys.

Because in the universe where we don't trade with Philly and take Cooper at 40, could we have gotten Sinnott at 67 vs 53?  Could we have gotten Coleman at 78 vs 67?

Sinnott there is some belief he was a reach so...maybe?  Coleman, I dunno if he'd have lasted either.

But it's an interesting hypothetical.

Now, maybe they just didn't like Cooper.  Dunno why they wouldn't, but they may know stuff we don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Just my opinion. But this draft is far too defensive heavy when you are drafting a rookie QB at 2 overall. Really needed to give him some young guys to grow together with him along the OL. I have no idea how they are planning on fitting all of these in the box nickle type players on the roster? Quan, Luvo, Sainristril and Hampton? I am overall happy with this draft. The first 4 picks are all starting players imo. But it should have been 5 offensive and 4 defensive players. Possible Newton would have been an offensive player if we were able to trade up though. 

3 of our top 6 picks on day 1 and day 2 were offense including the most valuable draft capital we had. It doesn't really matter that a couple of 5th rounders and a 7th were on the defensive side of the ball as day 3 picks miss the vast majority of the time. We were unlikely to get offensive help there anyway. 

I'm not happy either, in some ways, I don't love what we did with Philly in the trade, and I don't love the Sinnott pick at 53 or the McCaffrey pick at 100, and I hope they weren't trying to fix a defense I was told a few months ago when I projected a crap '24 season, was actually good in '22, and maybe not the disaster it looked because well, its ron's fault or whatever, but anyway....the reality is, this team is and was a mess at DB, LB, Edge, OL, WR, RB, TE and QB. You can't fix it all in one draft or one offseason. I'm alarmed they didn't do more for the OL either, but nobody was terribly interested in trading down to our slot, and we ended up with an OL in Coleman that's both versatile, and considered by the NFL.Com dude and Brugler to be of the same tier as Paul, Rosegarten, and the guy with the long hard to spell name....

Im very torn, part of me feels like you do, but part of me gets it, and just views what happened as a situation in which he took advantage of the talent that fell to him. My one major gripe is that they didn't turn 5 day 2 picks into any 2025 draft capital at all and we aren't getting compensatories either after the free agency palozza we just had. I'm bummed we didnt spin some golden loom for next year...we should have. Maybe we end up trading some vets for picks before the dealine again, but we don't have many anyone would want. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

3 of our top 6 picks on day 1 and day 2 were offense including the most valuable draft capital we had. It doesn't really matter that a couple of 5th rounders and a 7th were on the defensive side of the ball as day 3 picks miss the vast majority of the time. We were unlikely to get offensive help there anyway. 

I'm not happy either, in some ways, I don't love what we did with Philly in the trade, and I don't love the Sinnott pick at 53 or the McCaffrey pick at 100, and I hope they weren't trying to fix a defense I was told a few months ago when I projected a crap '24 season, was actually good in '22, and maybe not the disaster it looked because well, its ron's fault or whatever, but anyway....the reality is, this team is and was a mess at DB, LB, Edge, OL, WR, RB, TE and QB. You can't fix it all in one draft or one offseason. I'm alarmed they didn't do more for the OL either, but nobody was terribly interested in trading down to our slot, and we ended up with an OL in Coleman that's both versatile, and considered by the NFL.Com dude and Brugler to be of the same tier as Paul, Rosegarten, and the guy with the long hard to spell name....

Im very torn, part of me feels like you do, but part of me gets it, and just views what happened as a situation in which he took advantage of the talent that fell to him. My one major gripe is that they didn't turn 5 day 2 picks into any 2025 draft capital at all and we aren't getting compensatories either after the free agency palozza we just had. I'm bummed we didnt spin some golden loom for next year...we should have. Maybe we end up trading some vets for picks before the dealine again, but we don't have many anyone would want. 

A little confused here. In one spot you say we are a disaster at virtually every position and then say we should have used this years picks to get more next year picks. As I watched the draft unfold for us, it was clear they have a board and they stuck to it. They let the draft come to them and didn't force it based on needs. They clearly have a plan at Tackle. They are not stupid (not accusing you of calling them stupid, just making a point). They know they need Oline. It was clear they wanted to jump back into the 1st but since they didn't we have to assume the price was too high. Good, you can't panic. I am most impressed with that. Past regimes have panicked, either self induced or because snyder was breathing down thier necks with really bad instructions. 

I like this draft overall. Yes, would liked a get really good fat guy on day 1 or early day 2 but they got very good talent with the guys they picked. High quality charecter also. I expect they will sign a FA tackle or two for camp., Could still be some CAP decisions to be made by other teams. Never know. They will not be the long term solution but can be a good bridge to next years draft. 

• Like 1

Anyone have data on how effectively RAS ratings translate going forward? I'm too lazy to dig beyond finding a teeny bit of data from last year (Richardson was great, our injury riddled center was great, packers TE Musgrave was great, our should've been DB Gonzalez was great). 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed.

On one hand, I agree they shoulda told Kirk they planned to draft a QB BEFORE he signed a 4 year deal.

Same time he's 35 years old coming off an Achilles injury.

What did he think the Falcons were gonna do? 

This looks like a contract that doesn't seem too painful to get out of in two years, did he read it?

https://overthecap.com/player/kirk-cousins/1443

I think he stopped reading when he got to the part that guarantees him $90M of which he sees $62.5M this year.

After he read that paragraph he just asked where he signed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I think he stopped reading when he got to the part that guarantees him $90M of which he sees $62.5M this year.

After he read that paragraph he just asked where he signed.

Facts.