Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard someone say in conversation?

5 hours ago, Forehead said:

Does this person also think they'll get abs from wearing a belt that sends electric jolts into their stomach?

Well, he followed up with "If if you don't lose weight riding a motorcycle, how come you don't see any fat people riding motorcycles?".

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Around 2013 a bouncer at the bar I worked at in Chicago told me that within Obama’s last term the United States would dissolve into independent states and the US dollar would become worthless. I bet him 20 dollars but it seemed cruel to take money from someone that obviously needed it. 

He would go on to fail multiple “special forces” entrance exams. The irony is that he thought I was dumb and would talk **** about me to other people at the bar. 

Then there was the server that came back and asked if she could have some Kanye (as in Mr West) pepper for a table that requested it.

You find all sorts of people in kitchens but the one thing you probably won’t run into is your graduating classes valedictorian. I am proof of that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

My friend Haley (student at Georgia State) at the last Italian place where we worked :

"Didn't we abolish slavery like 300 years ago?"

I laughed at her the whole rest of the day.  

I always love reminding folks slavery was never abolished in Murica. Our prison system is nothing more than modern day slavery. The thirteenth ammendment is pretty clear about it. 🤓

On 4/20/2024 at 1:13 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've mentioned him on here before, but I used to work for a guy who was a friend first.  Helped him get his company off the ground in the early 2010s.  He was a doofus, but that's okay...I mean if drinking, hitting golf balls and chasing girls are your hobbies, that's fine.  There was a time there where he didn't try to hide from who he was.

Somewhere along the line, he met a girl who he ended up marrying.  It was kind of puzzling, she was an elite liberal and I don't mean that in a bad way, but that's just the best way to describe her and I really liked her, she was great.  Highly educated, wealthy family, progressive ideas on just about everything.  Into art, culture.  In a lot of ways, the opposite of him, but opposites can attract and I'm not sure what the draw was to him.  

So it was obvious when he started parroting ideas that weren't his own, and looking back on it I'm not sure if he ever had any real ideas of his own on a lot of things.  But suddenly, he was interested in going to broadway shows and visiting art galleries and everything he was interested in had to do with "culture."  If he liked someone, he would never fail to say that they were "well cultured," or "well traveled."  

One day, a bunch of us from work are at this spot in Arlington for lunch eating burgers.  It's a gorgeous spring day, and we're sitting outside.  He's prattling on about something and I didn't catch the start of the sentence but it ended with "...and when you look around and think about it, America has no culture."

It's the type of statement you'd expect to hear from a not so bright suburban teenager attempting to appear sophisticated.  That statement made its way into my earhole and rattled around in my brain for a couple seconds and I actually thought wow, he might have a poi....no, that's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard.  And I wasn't alone because after that same couple seconds everyone was just like "Uh...no," and started laughing at him and explaining to him why he was wrong.  The look on his face was sheer embarrassment, I actually felt bad for him for a little bit.  The fact that we were eating one of the most quintessential American meals at the time wasn't lost on me, either.

Same doofus, similar situation, out at lunch with a group from work:  He'd obviously watched something on TV about technology and was relaying to us how technology companies have technology that's so far advanced that they can't release it to the public because it's so far over our heads.  That Apple has, like, the iPhone 25 ready to go, they just can't release it yet because it's so far advanced none of us would understand it.  

Still joke about these two instances with a buddy of mine who was present for both.  

It wasn't entirely a dumb comment. You can make the case that so much of 'Muricun culture is imported in one way or another, e.g., immigrant foods, African foods, instruments, etc. brought over by the enslaved etc. The obvious counterpoint is that once it's here, everything else influences it and makes something uniquely 'Muricun. However, that dude didn't have a reply showed that all he was doing was parroting his wife. No shame in being a little whipped. Lol.

However, I'd argue that it's actually an indicator that at least he knows his limitations. He could be spouting Faux News or Newsmax and making a real moron out of himself but instead he just repeats the arguments of someone he loves and who's probably pretty smart. And yes, I resemble that remark. Mrs. Sisko is the brains of this operation right cheah.😄

I think perhaps the stupidest thing I ever heard someone say was a former coworker's response to a bit of snark I threw at her. She was going on in the breakroom about tax cuts, maybe around the time that Moscow Mitch and Tя☭mp gave the finger to the middle and lower classes and hooked up corporations and the wealthy with their tax cuts . She was parroting the Grand Oligarch's Party's line about how tax cuts pay for themselves. So I responded that since the tax cuts pay for themselves, if we decreased all taxes to zero, tax revenue would then increase infinitely, right? She then actually agreed. I kept waiting for her to start laughing, but it never happened. Just awkward crickets. So, all I could finally say was, OKAAAAAY and then change the subject. She was a nice person and I liked her so I didn't want to be mean, but sheesh, this is why as a country, we can't have nice things.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

It wasn't entirely a dumb comment. You can make the case that so much of 'Muricun culture is imported in one way or another, e.g., immigrant foods, African foods, instruments, etc. brought over by the enslaved etc. The obvious counterpoint is that once it's here, everything else influences it and makes something uniquely 'Muricun. However, that dude didn't have a reply showed that all he was doing was parroting his wife. No shame in being a little whipped. Lol.

However, I'd argue that it's actually an indicator that at least he knows his limitations. He could be spouting Faux News or Newsmax and making a real moron out of himself but instead he just repeats the arguments of someone he loves and who's probably pretty smart. And yes, I resemble that remark. Mrs. Sisko is the brains of this operation right cheah.😄

I think perhaps the stupidest thing I ever heard someone say was a former coworker's response to a bit of snark I threw at her. She was going on in the breakroom about tax cuts, maybe around the time that Moscow Mitch and Tя☭mp gave the finger to the middle and lower classes and hooked up corporations and the wealthy with their tax cuts . She was parroting the Grand Oligarch's Party's line about how tax cuts pay for themselves. So I responded that since the tax cuts pay for themselves, if we decreased all taxes to zero, tax revenue would then increase infinitely, right? She then actually agreed. I kept waiting for her to start laughing, but it never happened. Just awkward crickets. So, all I could finally say was, OKAAAAAY and then change the subject. She was a nice person and I liked her so I didn't want to be mean, but sheesh, this is why as a country, we can't have nice things.

Yeah, not the dumbest thing I’ve heard ever, but I have something similar with coworkers. This was on the eve of the Obama/Romney election. My colleague graduated from an Ivy and had a CPA. He wanted to debate “ideas” and not “personalities”- this was after the Romney remark about freeloaders not paying taxes.

We were talking about the income tax structure. Reminder this is a CPA, he didn’t understand the progressive nature of our income tax system. When I asked him, all things equal, does someone at the low end of the 25% bracket take home less than the person at the top end of the 22% bracket. (Bracket % are made up, can’t remember what they were exactly at the time.) In other words, did he think one’s income is ALL taxed at the highest percentage. He swore up and down that it was. He had his sidekick join in and laugh at me. “I would love it if it was designed the way you describe.” 

I told them it was.

Prove it.

Look at the IRS webpage

Fake news.

Okay. Phone a friend.

So he called his personal account and said that he was trying to clear up a debate. He got an answer he did not like and mopingly went back to perusing the Drudge Report.

• Haha 4

Dan Snyder once said that he would learn from his mistakes. Maybe he finally has..

I have a family member who has recently decided that they should sell their house to collect like 100 grand and instead pay rent. Problem with this idea is that their home mortgage is about half of the rent for a much smaller place in a worse location. Is anything dumber than that with increasing rents vs a stable mortgage that will end eventually? And no, they won't learn. They've made similar decisions in the past.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Sisko said:

That's true, and I think that's what he meant.  

But I wasn't about to help him out :ols: 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

This thread is too easy if it isn't kept to things you heard in person...

I had to leave a church and dump my girlfriend at the time because at some point following one in one Bible study I was told Jesus came back as a South Korean guy and died again late 20th Century...

That's not the dumbest, but to me it was super dumb and borderline scary because my ex had got to the point of having 6 year old daughter trying to do prayers in Korean. 

I still go to church, my faith is stronger then ever, but ffs some of the stupidest **** ever said to my face was in a church. 

Like a fellow from Nigeria trying to convince me Kanye was turning a corner with his Christian album and that he was voting for Trump because he seemed most likely to implement things he agreed with from Christian standpoint...I said okay, but he's also killing USCIS as part of making it impossible for you or others to get permanent US citizenship, not most likely but actually doing it...

The trading and justifying of getting "what God wants" at the cost of other people like you wont be next isn't the challenge of our character and values that religion is supposed to be.

Jus because they sayin same thing as you don't mean they your friend.  I wonder sometimes on the notion Nazis would look at White Mutt Nationalist in the South as anything other then additional firewood for their human stove as opposed to part of their Aryan Superior race as another possible example of this (I may be wrong, but that certainly makes more sense to me then groups that openly hate everyone that isnt just like them actually having friends in groups different then them).  The math doesn't add up to me on that, imo.

14 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

“I know that you can only see the stars when the moon is out”

Once heard the daughter of a nasa engineer answer that all the phases of the moon are shadows created by earth during an episode of Jeopardy.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan Snyder once said that he would learn from his mistakes. Maybe he finally has..

I have a family member who has recently decided that they should sell their house to collect like 100 grand and instead pay rent. Problem with this idea is that their home mortgage is about half of the rent for a much smaller place in a worse location. Is anything dumber than that with increasing rents vs a stable mortgage that will end eventually? And no, they won't learn. They've made similar decisions in the past.

Are they dumb enough to get swindled on the home?  Asking for a friend me.

• Haha 1

Coworker mentioned he didn’t want to vaccinate his kid. That was pretty stupid. We work at a biotech company. 

In general he doesn’t believe in modern vaccines or medicines. 

He also said Jimmy G is clutch. He took that one back eventually. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Coworker mentioned he didn’t want to vaccinate his kid. That was pretty stupid. We work at a biotech company. 

In general he doesn’t believe in modern vaccines or medicines. 

He also said Jimmy G is clutch. He took that one back eventually. 

How...how did he even get in the door?

I've worked with people that don't believe humans are here from evolution, but in all fairness you don't have to believe that to get into cybersecurity.

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How...how did he even get in the door?

I've worked with people that don't believe humans are here from evolution, but in all fairness you don't have to believe that to get into cybersecurity.

He was hired years before me lol. 

• Haha 2