Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP Part of Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after large boat collision, sending vehicles into water

Destino

A portion of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland, has collapsed after a large container boat collided with it early Tuesday morning.

Reports came in around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday that a large vessel crashed into a column in the central part of the bridge carrying north and southbound lanes of Interstate 695, catching on fire before causing multiple vehicles to fall into the Patapsco River below.

At least seven vehicles, including at least one tractor-trailer-sized vehicle, have collapsed into the water, Baltimore City Fire spokesman Kevin Cartwright confirmed with WTOP. He added that a dive team was deployed to help those in the river.

https://wtop.com/baltimore/2024/03/key-bridge-in-baltimore-collapses-after-hitting-large-boat/

• Sad 4

• Destino changed the title to WTOP Part of Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after large boat collision, sending vehicles into water
Just now, FootballZombie said:

Dang

At least it was overnight. Still tho.

Would have been much worse at rush hour for sure. I don’t know if anyone was on the bridge when it was hit but I sincerely hope not. Terrifying watching it collapse like that. It went so quickly.

I would have assumed they had a barrier of some kind around the support structures to stop a collision with a massive ship. Evidently we were all just one wrong turn of a cargo ship from being sent screaming into the river. 

• Sad 1

I woke up about 0530 and saw this on the news. We can see the bridge from our roof deck. My mom was visiting the other day and we were showing her the view. Definitely not what I was expecting to wake up to this morning. 

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

What on earth is that ship doing?  I mean how do you just ram into a bridge?

I assume there was a control issue with the ship, it hit the supports just above in the middle. Also I thought there was usually a port master in ports that guide the ships out with tug boats? Maybe only once you get real close to port?

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Also I thought there was usually a port master in ports that guide the ships out with tug boats? Maybe only once you get real close to port?

It's called a "pilot" and local reports are that yes, the pilot was on the ship.

• Thumb up 2

NBC News: Maryland bridge collapse: Rescue underway after Francis Scott Key bridge hit by cargo ship

The U.S. Coast Guard told NBC News it received a report at 1:27 a.m. ET that a “motor vessel made impact with the bridge” and confirmed it was a 948-foot vessel named DALI, a container ship sailing under a Singaporean flag

From what I read the ship was 998' 948' and had reported a mayday due to engine failure. They lost steerage and struck the bridge. 

There were 20 people unaccounted for last I read. 

Edited by GoCommiesGo
added source
  • Sad 5

Way-too-early prediction time.

The ship suffered a 'main bus one' casualty. That's essentially the circuit board for the entire ship. Either a fire that caused a malfunction or vice versa. You see power kick back on and the plum of smoke. That's the ship kicking over to 'main bus two', essentially the backup electric system and everything kicking back on. The fire/casualty took out bus two which is where you see the power go out a second time. The ship is essentially dead at that point. 

This exact thing happened when I was on the Chancellorsville. Luckily we were in the middle of the Pacific ocean so there wasn't much to hit. But we just floated for a couple days. No power except emergency battery operated lights around the ship. We slept on the flight deck at night because it was so hot.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thumb down 1

Wow, just saw this.  Terrible and frightening.  "Partial collapse" makes it sound not as bad as what the visual shows, when everything in frame of the viedo collapses into the water.

I don't want to think how horrifiying it was for the people driving that ended up in the water.

Our son crosses this bridge almost every day as do a few of our friends.   Thankfully it happened when there was very little traffic.  The tragedy that would've unfolded had this happened during rush hour would've been astronomical.

The port of Baltimore is one of the largest ports in the country and all of the shipping in and out is at total standstill and ship traffic is already backed up.  If you live around here, traffic already sucks and folks will have to use one of the two harbor tunnels, one of which has been around since the late 50's.  That or cut through Baltimore city.  **** that....

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

I imagine the port can’t reopen until the bridge is removed from the water… so… gonna be a while a while…

then they have to build a new bridge

Agreed.

The economic toll is going to be very high...

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Way-too-early prediction time.

The ship suffered a 'main bus one' casualty. That's essentially the circuit board for the entire ship. Either a fire that caused a malfunction or vice versa. You see power kick back on and the plum of smoke. That's the ship kicking over to 'main bus two', essentially the backup electric system and everything kicking back on. The fire/casualty took out bus two which is where you see the power go out a second time. The ship is essentially dead at that point. 

This exact thing happened when I was on the Chancellorsville. Luckily we were in the middle of the Pacific ocean so there wasn't much to hit. But we just floated for a couple days. No power except emergency battery operated lights around the ship. We slept on the flight deck at night because it was so hot.

They're being vague about it, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

bbc.com

Dali 'lost propulsion' before hitting bridge

An unclassified memo from the government agency CISA - the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency - has confirmed that the Singapore-flagged vessel Dali "lost propulsion" and collided with "a supporting tower of the bridge".

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1