Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If anyone can talk Bostic back out of retirememt its Quinn.  Carpe diem -- don't let loosing Scooter derail the season before it even starts

Just twist the knife. We lose Scoot and we get back Bostic. 

Peters has to go.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I do think FA is very different now, so many top players get taken off the market with the tag for example. And the top teams generally do their best to retain their own. So for me when FA opens I’d say you are almost starting at the tier 2 level…

Now? It's been that way for 25-30 years

So if we go back to the question of which players could get paid more than people think, a lot of the feedback I’ve received is pointed toward those interior line positions. It was the Miami Dolphins’ Robert Hunt and Detroit’s Jonah Jackson at guard, and Denver’s Lloyd Cushenberry at center. Others such as New England’s Mike Onwenu (who has the flexibility to play right tackle) and Dallas’s Tyler Biadasz could benefit from the rising tide, as well.

“If Ben Powers got $13 million last year, a lot of guys should get more than that this year,” says an NFC exec, citing Powers’s four-year, $51.5 million deal in Denver.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/10/takeaways-kirk-cousins-center-free-agency-market

Going out on a limb and say signings of Armstrong and Kearse tomorrow to start FA off for Commanders.  I figure someone will say we signed Ertz and that is true but I am saying first day of FA officially.  :)  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

Listened to a Keim podcast just put out. 

A.  Will be active in FA but not splashy

B.  Has doubts players like T. Smith and Wagner would want to come here on a short contract because they likely want to chase a ring ASAP

C.  Expect a veteran center

D. WR -- deep threat or tall WR or one that fits both criteria

Then Bram kicked in and discussed it with him.  I ignore the Bram spitballing names unless Keim responded to them. 

A.  Agreed that Jonah Williams would be an interesting signing

B. Brams thinks they are spending on O line and edge because they have no choice 

C.  Keim thinks they will prefer 1 year contracts where they can

D.  Keim mentioned Morse, Biadaz and another for center missed the other name

E.  Keim doubled down he expects interest in Armstrong and Fowler at edge

F. Mentioned Zadarius Smith on a 1 year contract but waffled on that in a different segment, C. Ferrell but wasn't sure SF wouldn't work to bring him back. Van Ginkel.

G. Expects LB. It's a spot they are care about.  I know what @KDawg is thinking which is if so why did they release Scooter?  Keim didn't think Queen would be a target because they'd want a LB who can call the defense.   Al-Shaair. Luvu

H.  They expect they will be more aggressive in the 2nd wave of FA. Meaning he doesn't expect a ton this week as to action but some action. 

I. Wondered about Fuller coming back.  If not they likely sign a corner

J. Keim mentioned really liking Simmons but couldn't tell if he just means he likes him or suspects the team does. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Going out on a limb and say signings of Armstrong and Kearse tomorrow to start FA off for Commanders.  I figure someone will say we signed Ertz and that is true but I am saying first day of FA officially.  :)  

We will probably sign Fowler as well tommrow  

Both cowboys Dline men?

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  Has doubts players like T. Smith and Wagner would want to come here on a short contract because they likely want to chase a ring ASAP

Then Bram kicked in and discussed it with him.  I ignore the Bram spitballing names unless Keim responded to them. 

B. Brams thinks they are spending on O line and edge because they have no choice 

F. Mentioned Zadarius Smith on a 1 year contract but waffled on that in a different segment, C. Ferrell but wasn't sure SF wouldn't work to bring him back. Van Ginkel.

G. Expects LB. It's a spot they are care about.  I know what @KDawg is thinking which is if so why did they release Scooter?  Keim didn't think Queen would be a target because they'd want a LB who can call the defense.   Al-Shaair. Luvu

H.  They expect they will be more aggressive in the 2nd wave of FA. Meaning he doesn't expect a ton this week as to action but some action. 

J. Keim mentioned really liking Simmons but couldn't tell if he just means he likes him or suspects the team does. 

Kind of surprise no talk of Kearse from Dallas but he's a S.  Maybe CB Jourdan Lewis of Dallas. Definitely Armstrong.  He'd be worth 8/9 mill a year on a 3 year, IMO.  Oren Burks has been mentioned too by Keim on another podcast, I think.  Love me some Biadaz!  

• Like 1

Per reports 49ers are planning to release DE Arik Armstead. Peters might be interested in a reunion aa lower cost signing. Only 30yr old, but his sack numbers have been declining over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Great recap as usual SIP. A lot of relevant info which made me want to watch the actual podcast.

I think the video below is the one you recapped. It seems to be Keim's most recent release. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know for sure.

If it's not could you or someone else please post a link to the correct vid?

TIA

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As per Adam Schefter

Nine-time Pro-Bowl QB and former Super-Bowl champ Russell Wilson plans to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per league sources. Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal in which the Broncos will wind up paying $38 million of his salary while Wilson wears the black and yellow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get Keim's logic here, and really this applies more to Smith than Wagner. But how many teams: (1) need a LT; (2) have the money to pay a LT; and (3) are still considered "contenders". I get the idea that a veteran would like to win, but unless you sign with Kansas City, the odds of "ring chasing" with virtually anyone other team aren't good. Sure, it could happen. But any individual team likely has less than a 5% chance of winning the Super Bowl if they're not named Kansas City. Maybe that's really important to a guy like Tyron Smith, but I suspect he still signs for good money somewhere.

I still think, of all the positions this team needs, LT has to be right at the top of the free agent list. Because I don't think this team wants to screw that spot up with a rookie QB. And sure, while one might be able to draft an answer there, unless you aren't picking a QB at #2 (which seems very unlikely) then you have to hope that: (1) a good LT is just sitting there in the second round; (2) you like said player; (3) you don't like other players better at that spot; and (4) said player can start as a rookie from Day 1 at LT. All of which seems highly speculative and really can't be the only plan to fill what's ultimately a very important position for the QB to have filled properly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Oren Burks has been mentioned too by Keim on another podcast,

Elected as one of 10 NFLPA Vice Prez for 2024

Introduced into the Northern Virginia Football HOF last night too.

I don't know if he went home to SF yet... he may still be in the Virginia area.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Posted this in the QB thread too, Cousins to Chicago would be a wild move. Born there, childhood fan. They have the resource to pay him.

Could you imagine if they also drafted Caleb? That would be must see Hard Knocks. Im sure the two of them would get along swimmingly. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When Peters took the Job he said free agency cap space and number 2 pick in the draft where some of the reasons he took the job, I can't believe he would spend on 2nd tier free agents, we need to sign top tier quality on at least 2 positions DE, OL, LB, DB. 

Just my opinion 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

When Peters took the Job he said free agency cap space and number 2 pick in the draft where some of the reasons he took the job, I can't believe he would spend on 2nd tier free agents, we need to sign top tier quality on at least 2 positions DE, OL, LB, DB. 

Just my opinion 

Here’s the issue. We have about 30 guys on the entire roster right now (I haven’t looked at the exact number). We need to fill out the entire roster. 

So we can’t spend to spend even if we have money. Smart moves that help the team. 

Now we’re creating holes by releasing Scooter, as @Skinsinparadise let us know.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Just my opinion 

I think we’ll spend plenty. The old joke of vet min plus incentives rarely happens these days. We’ll see a fair few 6-12M PY deals incoming.

22 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Just my opinion 

I get the method to the madness as Keim somewhat explained it.

They have a ton of roster holes.  They are trying to fill a lot of them versus marquee names for just a few.

They don't think they are winning it all in year one with a rookie QB, etc.  So they want to have the cap room to go for the kill next year.

I get the vibe that the are signing some decent pedigreed names.  But they are unlikely going for the D. Hunter types.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Here’s the issue. We have about 30 guys on the entire roster right now (I haven’t looked at the exact number). We need to fill out the entire roster. 

So we can’t spend to spend even if we have money. Smart moves that help the team. 

Now we’re creating holes by releasing Scooter, as @Skinsinparadise let us know.

You bring up a point I have always thought about.  People are constantly referencing the Commanders as having the most cap space.  But they also have fewer players signed.  Is $96 million in cap space with 49 players signed really a better situation than New England who has $72 million but that includes 60 players under contract?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You bring up a point I have always thought about.  People are constantly referencing the Commanders as having the most cap space.  But they also have fewer players signed.  Is $96 million in cap space with 49 players signed really a better situation than New England who has $72 million but that includes 60 players under contract?  

Cap space is typically defined by the rule of 51, ie top 51 contracts on the roster, it then changes slightly once the final roster is confirmed to 53 I believe.

So yes we are significantly better off in that respect, lots of variables in there too.

• Thumb up 1

Offensive line is where I hope they get splashy and not bargin hunt.

As for the players who will get paid, I’d look to the offensive line for your answers. And this is as much about NFL economics as anything, as they relate to the franchise tag.

There’s one blanket number for offensive linemen, which essentially means if you’re going to tag a guard or a center, you’re tagging them at the tackle number. The result, from there, is similar to what you’d see if the NFL decided to group safeties with corners, or tight ends with receivers. And it’s exactly like what the flood of edge rushers tagged as linebackers has done to teams’ ability to franchise off-ball linebackers.

Simply put, a guard or a center generally isn’t worth what a tackle is, so teams don’t tag them, which winds up dumping them into the market. Add the reality that there aren’t enough offensive linemen to go around, and there should be a windfall for big men.

So if we go back to the question of which players could get paid more than people think, a lot of the feedback I’ve received is pointed toward those interior line positions. It was the Miami Dolphins’ Robert Hunt and Detroit’s Jonah Jackson at guard, and Denver’s Lloyd Cushenberry at center. Others such as New England’s Mike Onwenu (who has the flexibility to play right tackle) and Dallas’s Tyler Biadasz could benefit from the rising tide, as well.

“If Ben Powers got $13 million last year, a lot of guys should get more than that this year,” says an NFC exec, citing Powers’s four-year, $51.5 million deal in Denver.

That, again, is the NFL leaning into certain position groups and away from others.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 1

I like the rumor of bringing in Gerald Everett. Clearly drafting QBs hasn't worked out for us and if we don't bulk up at WR lets do so at TE. Ertz will miss games and so Everett may be their prime target.

I heard Scooters original nickname was Skidmark.

• Like 2