Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Ā 

Ā 

Dan QuinnĀ and Adam Peters really didnā€™t think much ofĀ Ron Riveraā€™s roster building.

I mean, the Washington Commanders coach and his boss, the general manager, took that roster apart like a butcher slicing up Bambi.

Ā 

Speaking of a deer in headlights, when they got to the heart of Riveraā€™s Commanders championship construction ā€” his prize quarterback acquisition, Sam Howell ā€” they sent him packing.

Ā 

Remember this Rivera quote about Josh Harris? ā€œIf we go 8-8-1 this year and he fires me, and next year they win the division with 40 of the 53 players we drafted, and itā€™s the same quarterback, Iā€™m vindicated,ā€ he told ESPN in September. ā€œSend me my Super Bowl ring.ā€

Iā€™m betting theyā€™ve lostĀ Riveraā€™s forwarding address.

Ā 

I think at last count the new Commanders regime brought in 16 new players and counting since free agency began. Will they be any better than theĀ RiveraĀ players they are replacing? No one knows yet.

Remember this headline a few years ago from The Athletic: ā€œWashington free-agency report card:Ā Ron RiveraĀ gets high marks for addition.ā€Ā  Ā Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s that grade inflation we hear about, perhaps.

Now here we are again, raising the teamā€™s off-season championship banner yet again in 2024.

The difference, of course, is that the flagpole is no longer owned by Dan Snyder. Itā€™s Josh Harrisā€™ now, and itā€™s not unreasonable to believe that the chances of getting the personnel decisions right have never been greater in this century.

Ā 

Thereā€™s a lot to like ā€” perhaps the most being the departure of Howell, the 2022 fifth-round draft choice from North Carolina who was thrust into the starting quarterback spot last year whenĀ RiveraĀ sought cover from his previous disastrous quarterback decision, Carson Wentz.

Howell seems like a very nice young man with skills who deserved better than being victimized by a warped Eric Bieniemy offense. He will have a chance to prove that now in Seattle, where he was traded.

Washington sent Howell, plus a fourth-round pick (No. 109) and a sixth-round selection (No. 179) to the Seahawks in exchange for a third-round pick (No. 78) and a fifth-round pick (No. 152).

Ā 

Thatā€™s a better deal than the Chicago Bears squeezed out of the Pittsburgh Steelers for highly touted quarterback Justin Fields. The Bears got a 2025 sixth-rounder that could become a fourth-rounder, based on playing time ā€” which may not be very much this season if Fields is playing behind Russell Wilson as planned.

Fields led the Bears to a 40-20 victory over the Commanders in October for Chicagoā€™s first win of the season. He threw four touchdowns and completed 15 of 29 passes for 282 yards and no interceptions. Howell completed 37 of 51 passes for 388 yards, five sacks, two touchdowns and one interception.

Ā 

What kind of odds do you think you wouldnā€™t have gotten that Oct. 5 Thursday night at the field formerly known as FedEx if you suggested Howell would bring a better return than Fields in a trade?

Peters pulled off a trade deserving of optimism.

The free agent deals? The newcomers seem to share some special qualities.

Center Tyler Biadasz is from Dallas, whereĀ QuinnĀ was the defensive coordinator. He said the new Washington coach was ā€œall about grit and tenacity and winning.ā€

Linebacker Frankie Luvu told reporters he will add ā€œenergy, tenacity and gritā€ to the team.

Ā 

....The free agent deals? The newcomers seem to share some special qualities.

Center Tyler Biadasz is from Dallas, whereĀ QuinnĀ was the defensive coordinator. He said the new Washington coach was ā€œall about grit and tenacity and winning.ā€

Linebacker Frankie Luvu told reporters he will add ā€œenergy, tenacity and gritā€ to the team.

ā€œTheyā€™ve got pride, theyā€™ve got grit,ā€Ā Ron RiveraĀ said

Sorry, got my grit quotes from last year confused.

Luvuā€™s fellow linebacker, Bobby Wagner, brings legacy with him. He was a 10-time All-Pro ā€” the best of the best ā€” and made the NFL 2010s All-Decade team.

Ā 

Wagner will be 34 when the season starts. Remarkably, he was on the field in Landover when Robert Griffin III went down with his devastating knee injury in Seattleā€™s 24-14 win over Washington in the wild-card game on Jan. 6, 2013 ā€” seemingly another lifetime ago. But he is coming off one of his best seasons in his return to Seattle last year.

Whatā€™s more important, though, is that he and Luvu are actual linebackers, better than anythingĀ RiveraĀ and his defensive coordinator, Jack Del Rio put on the field during their four years here. Strangely, though both played linebacker in the NFL,Ā RiveraĀ and Del Rio seemed either disinterested in the position, or based on the disappointing selection of linebacker Jamin Davis in the first round of the 2021 draft, incapable of picking talent for the role.

Ā 

Even stranger, two of the top personnel decision-makers who were here withĀ RiveraĀ during their era of disinterest remain with the organization. The two Martys, Mayhew and Hurney, are still with the team and watched as the roster they helped put together has gotten butchered.

The fun is just beginning. The Commanders still have their pockets full of free agent money to spend if they choose and have six picks in the top 100 in the upcoming NFL draft ā€” one of them the No. 2 selection in the draft.

Keep that flag flying.Ā 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

a butcher slicing up Bambi.

Oh. Ā Thats a low-blow analogy. Ā Even for Lovero. That one hurts. Ā 
Ā 

I still canā€™t watch Bambi.Ā 
Ā 

(goes to cry softly in a corner for the rest of the morning)Ā 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That feels right up Thom "get off my lawn" Loverro's alley!

• Thanks 1

Itā€™s not that I donā€™t agree with the tone of Loverroā€™s column, but heā€™s a professional writer (I assume he gets paid). How does he get a basic, easy to verify, fact about the Howell trade wrong? The fourth that we gave up was 102, not 109. Unless there are seven other compensatory picks at the end of the third that havenā€™t been announced.Ā 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ā 

Ā 

Image of I mean, you can just think of me as Bambi's mother.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Ā 

I thought Niijman was a reasonable option for us at OT. Now, we need to sign one or two from the following likely options: Josh Jones, Cornelius Lucas, Donovan Smith, and Mekhi Becton. I doubt Bahktiari plays again because of his injuries, and I don't think our FO will want to work with injury plagued Trenton Brown. I'm hoping now for Jones or Lucas. Neither thrill me, and Becton is a greater risk.

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 FA/Trades - IN: TE Ertz, DE Armstrong, C Biadasz, LB Luvu, RB Ekeler, K McManus, LG Allegretti, DE Ferrell, QB Mariota, DE Fowler Jr., LS Ott, S Chinn, LB Wagner, ST/LB Pittman, ST/CB Igbinoghene, CB Davis BACK: Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas

Love the Lucas re-signing.Ā  He can be the placeholder as a rookie comes along, or maybe this allows us to sign DJ humphries and we can be a little more patient with his recovery knowing Lucas can hold down the fort.Ā Ā 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

The only thing better than a versatile FAT BOY, is aĀ budget versatile FAT BOY.

What settings do you use to know exactly when we've signed an offensive lineman, because it's really strange how quickly you pop in when we do.

• Haha 11

Much needed signing. I don't think they are going to sign another LT in free agency, since it took this long just to re-sign one of their own. On to the draft for their next LT, and of course they will keep an eye on roster cuts.