Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not against calling him a reclamation project, but I’m reminded of Quinn/Whitt talking about finding what guys do well and using them to their strengths.  Ferrell’s gonna be setting some edges in the run game for sure.

This. 

Dan Quinn is going to get the most of players on his defence. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Peters seems to like under the radar players with great work ethic. The guys he's bringing in are seriously gonna change the culture of the team and bring an edge. Given steady QB play I seriously expect to be very competitive this year just based on the type of coaches we have and the guys we're signing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep, it's $10m for the Top 51, I think about $14.5m for the total allocation.

I agree ... think we'll carry over quite a bit of $$.

What I expect rest of this primary FA cycle:

Offensive Tackle - spend $$ here, is my guess

Cornerback - reclamation project would be my guess (1-2 year deal)

Safety - Stopgap type (Kearse)

Linebacker - 1 year deal, smaller contract, primarily depth

Offensive Tackle - 1 year deal, swing tackle

OT still is the biggest need and I'm very curious how they address.  I wonder if a 2nd rounder gets in position to fight for starter role or becomes the swing.  Not that we want to go into the draft needing that.

Oren Burks was mentioned as a LB/special teamer.  So he's still on my list.

S/CB is so wide open, I think they have a good number of options.

4 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

I don't think he's lived up to his draft status, but I don't think reclamation makes sense (depending on what the knee issue was).  

I think the term is indeed being used in reference to his draft status, so I can see the logic on that front.  JMO though.

3 of my favorite safeties in the draft over the last several years were FAs this cycle - Byard, Savage and Chinn.  Bummed the former two (especially Byard) are gone.  But there’s still Chinn!

Edited by skinny21

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Mahomes and Reid are going to make Samuels a 1300 yard receiver with a SB ring next year if he signs there. I said they should have traded for Samuels at the trade deadline. If I was Samuels, I'd play there for the vet minimum.  Plus incentives, of course.  (LOTS of incentives. Maybe even get to go with Travis to a Taylor Swift concert)

Reid had nothing to do with us signing Wylie as a FA.  We did that all on our own. He played us with McNugget and Smith.  Though, I think with a better coach than Jay, Smith would have been better.  The longer it goes, the more it is clear Jay was literally bad at everything, and I'm surprised he was able to get up in the morning and walk to the bathroom without making a wrong turn and ending up in the garage.  

Samuels will never be a 1300 yard WR for the Chiefs, they spread the ball around too much, he is a all around WR not great at anything but good. I do not think he will be missed here and he fits their Offense and should be productive. He may get a ring too. It would be a good choice for him and would be surprised if he gets11.5 mil a year like he did here. 

• Like 1

I just have a gut feeling we're going to either sign Tyron Smith to a 2-year deal or Jonah Williams to a 3-year deal.

This would solidify 4/5 of our OL. I would then expect us to draft an OT in the 2nd to play RT, which would relegate Wylie to Swing Tackle/Backup Guard. 

• Like 7

My thoughts exactly. And if you did bring in Dante Fowler or Chase Young (doubtful), you completely remove DE from a "need" and even a "must target" in the draft. In fact, I would argue you've given yourself enough potential options long-term in that if one of those guys hits, you bring them back. If they don't, maybe Henry or Jones emerges as a legitimate starter. And if none of the above, you've got the 2025 off-season to address it. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

This. 

Dan Quinn is going to get the most of players on his defence. 

It seems that Quinn acts like a magnet, attracting players. I also believe he's got the knowledge, experience and charisma to make them an army of one.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Fun watching this team build come together. The FO is approaching FA exactly as I had expected/hoped. Build through the draft, add quality pieces in FA, but don't overpay.

Ferrell will help set the edge against the rush, Armstrong will be looked to get to the passer, and Luvu will be a do-it-all backer who can blitz. None are breaking the bank. Defensive front already completely re-made.

I think a lot of the pass rush will come from LBs.  Does that make sense, JMS? 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

My thoughts exactly. And if you did bring in Dante Fowler or Chase Young (doubtful), you completely remove DE from a "need" and even a "must target" in the draft. In fact, I would argue you've given yourself enough potential options long-term in that if one of those guys hits, you bring them back. If they don't, maybe Henry or Jones emerges as a legitimate starter. And if none of the above, you've got the 2025 off-season to address it. 

I dont know if I agree with the idea this changes anything about the need.  Is there a body there, sure, but if getting to the QB or being impactful is a goal, Ferrell has shown no real ability to do that.  It'd be like saying we re-signed Casey Toohill and then said "well, DE is no longer a massive need."

16 minutes ago, Twelfth man said:

Most nervous that they're going to keep Wylie at RT but in Peters I trust.

Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. We all are nervous about it, but there's a limit to how many holes can be fixed or how possible it is to fix a specific hole in a single off-season. Wylie is at least a warm body at RT. We have nothing but emptiness at LT currently. Both need to be addressed, but we also need 2 CB's, 2 WR's, and 1 (or maybe 2) Safety(ies).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. We all are nervous about it, but there's a limit to how many holes can be fixed or how possible it is to fix a specific hole in a single off-season. Wylie is at least a warm body at RT. We have nothing but emptiness at LT currently. Both need to be addressed, but we also need 2 CB's, 2 WR's, and 1 (or maybe 2) Safety(ies).

I still expect us to sign starter quality players at OT, CB and Safety via FA.

And that would completely unlock the draft. I do think we'll "need" some depth at WR and certainly a young TE ... and more OL ... but we wouldn't go into the draft with glaring needs. We have approx. $50m more to spend IF we wanted to as well, and could satisfy the above (plus usual FA depth signings) and still roll over plenty of dough.

I expected this exact approach in FA. It's so refreshing to have an instant reaction of "yes, that makes total sense!" as opposed to the alternative, which historically has been to try and talk myself into signings. I did not expect us to basically ink 7-8 quality starters with just $30m in cap space through 1.2 days of FA. Amazing.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think we are holding on to Wylie until his replacement arrives.

Historically, and especially over the last 4 years of Rivera, I have found myself having to talkin myself into liking moves in free agency AND the draft. So far, so good in FA. These moves all make a ton of sense. 

I look forward to the draft, when I can celebrate our 2nd round and 3rd round picks, rather than talk myself into why I like a pick of a clearly overdrafted player (Jamin Davis, Phil Mathis, Emmanuel Forbes, etc. etc. etc.)

"Man, I really liked Davis for us in R2, but I guess if this staff likes him I can see the pick of him in the 1st"

"I was mocking Forbes to us in the 3rd in March ... and 2nd in April ...  I guess I undervalued him, he could be a solid 1st rounder I guess"

"Who is Mathis? Shoot, I was seeing him mocked to us in the 5th. That made sense as a depth move, esp. if we choose to move on from Payne, but 2nd seems high. I guess this is Payne's replacement, it coul dmake sense"

"Who the hell is Percy Butler? Don't even recognize that prospect name"

"God we need a QB, I guess Ryan Fitzpatrick makes sense. Sure, yeah. Cool"

"Nick Gates broke his leg last year and was an average starter in New York. We desperately need OL, so yeah I guess he's a feisty guy, that's a ton of $$ to spend on someone like that, but we're desperate I guess. Hope it works out"

Actually, Nick Gates was one signing I had 0 ability to really make sense out of.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 8

Just now, shemp nixon said:

I think we are holding on to Wylie until his replacement arrives.

If we somehow draft his replacement, we can still hold onto Wylie. We don't save money by cutting him and he wouldn't be that expensive given the cheap rookie contract playing ahead of him. There are worse things than having someone like Wylie as depth.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1