Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Burger chain Wendy’s looking to test surge pricing at restaurants as early as next year

Cooked Crack

Wendy’s is looking to test having the prices of its menu items fluctuate throughout the day based on demand, implementing a strategy that has already taken hold with ride-sharing companies and ticket sellers.

During a conference call earlier this month, Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner said that the Dublin, Ohio-based burger chain will start testing dynamic pricing, also known as surge pricing, as early as next year.

“Beginning as early as 2025, we will begin testing more enhanced features like dynamic pricing and daypart offerings, along with AI-enabled menu changes and suggestive selling,” he said. “As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase, further supporting sales and profit growth across the system.”

https://apnews.com/article/wendys-surge-pricing-tanner-burger-dynamic-9417bc235bbcd13d82966d04a6ba42bd?utm_source=copy&utm_medium=share

I don't eat at Wendy's but miss me with this price surging ****. Just a bunch of greedy ****s looking to squeeze out more money from the customer.

• Like 3

Fast food is pricing themselves out. If it’s close to a restaurant, I can just order pickup and get better food. The main draw for fast food was fast and cheap. It needed to be both otherwise it’s just overpriced garbage food, and no one cares if that is fast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Watch there be a stock ticker for Wendy's "busy times", I guess there is an app for that.

I used to work at Ruby Tuesday, they had good burgers/sandwiches and they were all reasonably priced. I'm seeing fast food meals (burger, fries and coke) for like $15-$20, its insane. You can still go to a sit down restaurant and get a better price on a burger with fries than at a fast food place. 

Anyways, people will find a way to beat this system, I see this backfiring on many levels.

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I used to work at Ruby Tuesday, they had good burgers/sandwiches and they were all reasonably priced. I'm seeing fast food meals (burger, fries and coke) for like $15-$20, its insane. You can still go to a sit down restaurant and get a better price on a burger with fries than at a fast food place.

Can't you still go to McDonalds or Chick Fil A and get a combo and be out of there for like $11-12 at most?

Now if you're talking Five Guys, that's a different story. Do they still even call Five Guys "fast food" anymore (even though it basically is)?

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Can't you still go to McDonalds or Chick Fil A and get a combo and be out of there for like $11-12 at most?

Now if you're talking Five Guys, that's a different story. Do they still even call Five Guys "fast food" anymore (even though it basically is)?

Five Guys is fast food-ish, the subject is up for debate. McDonald's is probably the cheapest of the fast food chains, so you can get a meal around the $12 range. Wendy's must be high class, because I feel that they're one of the more expensive fast food places. I don't know personally, I work construction so I see a lot of unhealthy people eating fast food.

Wife, daughter and I were car shopping in Virginia Saturday.  I haven't eaten at a fast food place in a very long time.  We were running out of time - so we swung into a Wendy's drive thru.  We ordered 2 spicy chicken sandwich meals (one w/ a mango lemonade), a medium fry and a coke zero.  I couldn't believe it was almost $35.  Guess I'm a boomer - but it doesn't end there.  We pay - they tell us to pull up and they will bring it out.  Ten minutes later - lady brings out a bag.  Order isn't even close.  It is one burger and fries.  I get out of the car and go back in.  The lady behind the counter was rude AF.  I politely said this isn't my order and she copped an attitude.  Waited another five minutes.....asked for the third fry as it wasn't in the bag and left.   I'll be damned if I go back to another Wendy's.  I couldn't believe the price, terrible customer experience and attitude.  Instead of surge pricing - they better fix their current situation.  Can't believe people put up with that on a regular basis.

• Thumb up 3

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

As someone who cannot cook and heavily relies on fast food this is a bad idea

No worries, lots of freshman/sophomores can’t cook.  Get a toaster oven for your dorm and start with English muffin pizzas…onward and upward from there, young man!!

• Haha 5

I was looking over social media this morning. Someone posts:

What 1300 calories gets you at McDonalds. Big Mac, fries and a drink.

What 1300 calories gets you at home. 7 different plates, including a plate of rice and veggies, and a chicken as the second plate

Now, I know you can get more food for your buck making food at home. But that's just not doable here.

So yeah, I'll take the 1300 Wendy's fast food meal.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

For a cheapish fast food burger, Wendy's is better than most. But **** this.

It went downhill after it stopped being yellow

image.jpeg.fe6b76dfd391911dba2fc2300b50e5c3.jpeg

Wendy’s is our go-to on road trips. 

Not sure how well this will work. I haven’t come across a Wendy’s that is not near a competing fast food joint. So if they are going to “surge” their prices at high volume times, you’d think that a customer would choose the alternative. You’d hit a point that the smaller lines would attract customers, but to do that, the volume would be much smaller at those peak hours.

If they try to discount prices in the non-peak hours, say 2:00-4:30, then I could see that increasing sales.

I'm making my own Double R Bar Burger at home today. No Roy Rogers near me, dang it. It's not quite time for a fresh strawberry shortcake sundae. 

The restaurants around here are not very good. So I'm making my own favorite dishes. Besides, it's cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Wendy’s turning y’all inside-out with surge pricing on trash food while they paying their workers $7/hr.

Meanwhile across town, your local FAMILY-OWNED Mazda dealer is slinging Miatas (the greatest car ever made) for $500 over invoice and putting about 25 kids through college cause we pay our folks solid middle/upper class wages.

And yall mad at the Mazda dealer.  Make it make sense, normies.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1