Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Play Chess?

Thinking Skins

I used to play a lot as a kid and was pretty good, won some citywide competitions. but stopped after the school stopped having chess clubs. I never forgot the rules and things, but just never really picked it up again. When I had my kids, I can remember trying to teach them but at first they couldn't sit still long enough to play a game. They were listening though because a year later they wanted to play a game. They lost, but they did remember the rules. 

But that did reignite the fire to play once again. So in between playing them almost daily after school and their chess clubs now, I find myself listening to podcasts and analyzing my games to see where my mistakes in my games are (even the games I've won). I don't always agree with the analysis though, but I do realize that I'm winning some of these games because the computer is making some real blunders (I think they had a mate in 2 but they didn't take it-maybe I'm wrong on that). 

So I was just wondering about the chess community here on ES, and if there is one, maybe we could start sharing some tips / questions with one another about games ? 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Not as much as I used to and kids are too little too teach, that day will come.

I used to play with one of my old friends so much that if we was smoking weed and drinking we'd use a screwdriver to keep track of who's turn it was at some point.

I'll never forget one time I was in high school and this one guy kept beating me, he jus knew more moves then me and was teeing off.  Then I finally tried jus killing whatever piece I thought was primary in his strategy to force him to use a new one.

At some point he ran out of moves and ideas and panicked, he'd was too busy showing off then it's almost like forgot how to play on the fly chess.

There's a level of psychological warfare that an occur during a game, social engineering if you dare take it there, that computers jus don't understand.  Big reason I don't like playing computers it's jus different in a way that takes the joy out of it at some point. 

Long gone are the days I actually had to time to keep the turning the board around and playing myself.  I do believe there's a point where it's too late in the game and your playing defense the rest of it until you lose, so to avoid that situation if you can. 

I'm not a fan of folks relying too heavily on their queen and I reserve the right to trade queens when I notice that jus to force them out their comfort zone.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I used to play a lot as a teen and did win some small open tournaments. I have accounts on Lichess and Chess.com but play very rarely, but try to do a few tactics puzzles almost every day

Edited by Corcaigh

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not a fan of folks relying too heavily on their queen and I reserve the right to trade queens when I notice that jus to force them out their comfort zone.

This reminds me of my 4 year old. He's not too great at checkmate stuff but he will quickly try to trick me into a trade of queens. His goal when playing chess is always to get king vs king (stalemate). 

"you didn't beat me". 

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

This reminds me of my 4 year old. He's not too great at checkmate stuff but he will quickly try to trick me into a trade of queens. His goal when playing chess is always to get king vs king (stalemate). 

"you didn't beat me". 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952u5xo2xjyjvmvlc92br

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

"you didn't beat me". 

My Mom taught me how to play, my Dad still doesn't know how.

I didn't beat her until middle school : )

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

My Mom taught me how to play, my Dad still doesn't know how.

I didn't beat her until middle school : )

I wish I could say the same. My son (the older) beat me, I think 3 times now. The last one was kinda tricky because I had him on the run and had a mate in like 3 moves but as I was setting up my queen, I took one move to not put him in check and he used that one move to move his queen and put it next to my king and it was mate. 

I've taught him 2 checkmates so far. the 2 rooks (which can be done with a rook and a queen or 2 queens also) and a queen next to the king in a protected square. I've warned that the second is only powerful if the king is in a corner or the side though, and he saw the opportunity and took it. 

But I feel like people get this false impression of me. Like they think that because I'm a mathematician I'm going to be a chessmaster. I wish it was that easy. I'm still pretty much a beginner

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952u5xo2xjyjvmvlc92br

Maybe. Let me finish some meetings at work first. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

If you have young kids the No Stress Chess is great for teaching 

you start by drawing a card which dictates what piece you can move 

when they’re ready you move to holding 3 cards in your hand, and you can select which one to play 

long term you get to a point where you have a card or 3, and they’re playing free chess without the cards. It handicaps you - you can only move a piece to have a card for, they can do whatever they want. 

it’s worked very well for us. 

• Like 2

I learned how all the pieces moved when I was a boy but was distracted by other things. I’ve managed to stay distracted all this time and so I still only have a child’s understanding of the game. One day I’ll sit down and resign myself to getting my ass kicked by nerds enough times to learn how to play. Not today, but someday. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 2/28/2024 at 9:43 AM, Thinking Skins said:

If you wanted one book to start, Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess is good. If you wanted a video without singing cartoon pawns, this one on key chess principles is good.

After that, do tactics puzzles on lichess.org or chess.com, and play lots of games but take the time to review your games so you don’t repeat the same errors over and over.