Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden/RG3 feud on social media

I've always been impressed with how the Shannahan's rebuilt their offense from the floorboards up to accommodate this princess. They created a layered NFL read-option \ zone running offense with three tight ends. At the time RGIII bickered about it. I fully support Jay in his struggles with this weirdo.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some quarterbacks just don't know how to avoid pressure, we saw that this past season when you look at the difference between Howell and Jacoby. All you can do is hope that they "figure it out". Some never do and they get booted from the league. 

Essentially, RG3 never learned to play "traditionally" because he never had to. He was the quickest guy on the field and exceled at the read-option.

His build (his structure, not his muscle development) was too slight for that to be viable long-term in the NFL. He was going to get destroyed inevitably, and he hadn't developed the tool set to succeed without his running ability. Heck, I'm not sure he would have lasted even as a dropback passer. He was a track-and-field athlete trying to play football.

Despite the above, it's also worth remembering that the ankle injury that ended his time in Washington was a non-contact injury. Essentially, he turned while running full speed, and his body went one direction while his foot went the other. He was never going to last.

The attitude just made everything worse. He'd have been better off sitting for several years like Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love did and working on the skills needed to be a good NFL passer. Unfortunately, the 2nd pick rarely gets that luxury, and his ego would have caused problems.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Essentially, RG3 never learned to play "traditionally" because he never had to. He was the quickest guy on the field and exceled at the read-option.

His build (his structure, not his muscle development) was too slight for that to be viable long-term in the NFL. He was going to get destroyed inevitably, and he hadn't developed the tool set to succeed without his running ability. Heck, I'm not sure he would have lasted even as a dropback passer. He was a track-and-field athlete trying to play football.

Despite the above, it's also worth remembering that the ankle injury that ended his time in Washington was a non-contact injury. Essentially, he turned while running full speed, and his body went one direction while his foot went the other. He was never going to last.

Perhaps, we'll never know. 

I'm done talking about a dude who hasn't played for us in almost 10 years and an irrelevant ex-coach :)

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Jay's judgement has been bad since he was caught smoking outside a bar at One Loudoun with a hottie NOT named Mrs. Gruden sitting on his lap. 😂

I know from experience working as a bellman at one of the best hotels in Los Angeles that these players, coaches, and announcers are not just checking in and getting a good's nice sleep. A certain basketball team that stayed with us multiple times (rhymes with 46'ers) would have a giant herd of "female fans" pile into the lobby the minute they checked in. So Gruden sharing a smoke with a pretty girl isn't that big of a deal.

Off topic, Howie Long is a terrible tipper ($1 a bag) and Chris Collinsworth is a super generous tipper (always a $20 spot). Bradshaw they rented a house for, so not sure about him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyler Spiers said:

I know from experience working as a bellman at one of the best hotels in Los Angeles that these players, coaches, and announcers are not just checking in and getting a good's nice sleep. A certain basketball team that stayed with us multiple times (rhymes with 46'ers) would have a giant herd of "female fans" pile into the lobby the minute they checked in. So Gruden sharing a smoke with a pretty girl isn't that big of a deal.

Off topic, Howie Long is a terrible tipper ($1 a bag) and Chris Collinsworth is a super generous tipper (always a $20 spot). Bradshaw they rented a house for, so not sure about him.

Terry doesn't *do* hotels. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Why do people like to pretend like the knee injury never happened? It's simply that what destroyed Griffin. He would've been something special if that never happened. 

Oh well

I dunno man, he never progressed as a passer.  The Shanahans worked wonders to get him one read or run situations.  That well eventually runs dry, injuries or not.

Beyond that, it’s been a decade and this dude is still in his feelings and delusional about why he’s a media personality instead of a quarterback.  

He’s just messy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

That’s a stretch. Plenty of guys come back from that injury and do just fine. 

I tend to agree with this. While it's easy to point to Griffin's pre-injury stats (where he made the Pro Bowl and won Offensive ROY) and then post-injury stats, it kind of ignores the fact that most people recover from ACL injuries just fine. Even if you want to believe Griffin was one of the ones who didn't recover just fine (and frankly there's little evidence that he's not physically fine, he can still run really fast), a knee is only a small part of being a good QB. Since the pre-knee injury stats were only those 15 games, it's a far more likely explanation that the league simply caught up to him. Plenty of QBs look good in short bursts before reality sets in. Nick Foles is a guy that comes to mind. Has had a couple of crazy good runs as a QB, but was essentially just a good back-up. Maybe the best comparison for Griffin is Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick similarly looked crazy good for a brief period before it seems the league figured him out. He eventually got blackballed from the league for other reasons, but he was also 3-16 in his last two seasons as a starter and much poorer QBR figures than his heyday. The knee just seems like a well timed excuse.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I tend to agree with this. While it's easy to point to Griffin's pre-injury stats (where he made the Pro Bowl and won Offensive ROY) and then post-injury stats, it kind of ignores the fact that most people recover from ACL injuries just fine. Even if you want to believe Griffin was one of the ones who didn't recover just fine (and frankly there's little evidence that he's not physically fine, he can still run really fast), a knee is only a small part of being a good QB. Since the pre-knee injury stats were only those 15 games, it's a far more likely explanation that the league simply caught up to him. Plenty of QBs look good in short bursts before reality sets in. Nick Foles is a guy that comes to mind. Has had a couple of crazy good runs as a QB, but was essentially just a good back-up. Maybe the best comparison for Griffin is Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick similarly looked crazy good for a brief period before it seems the league figured him out. He eventually got blackballed from the league for other reasons, but he was also 3-16 in his last two seasons as a starter and much poorer QBR figures than his heyday. The knee just seems like a well timed excuse.

To this day, I'm not sure I've seen a quarterback secure the edge quite like he did before his injury. I'm not commenting on his overall ability; it's just the way he navigated in a straight line was exceptional. His track experience truly stood out on the football field – almost as if he were launching from the starting blocks in a track meet.

Post injury, the edge was no longer his ally. 

Edited by wit33

I have to look at that infamous graphic of all our coaches that have gone on to success from that team but somehow Robert believes he was Washington'ed here. Right, and The Beatles didn't know how to use Pete Best. Watch his start against the Steelers in '21 (After sitting on the bench backing up Lamar in just about as perfect a situation he could have hoped for), its the same player that I watched play the Chiefs in 2013. Not one step forward in development.

Gruden shouldn't throw stones though. He fits right in with the kind of bozos Dan would gravitate to for the last 20 years and now hes out of the NFL because his brother is stupid enough to write down his racist jokes.

I just want these two to go away.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

They're both idiots but RG3 is like that bully jock who everyone hated while Gruden is the fat lovable class clown and this is like the fat lovable class clown beating the crap out of the bully jock.

This is perfect 😂

Whatever happened to that 'book' RG3 was going to 'write'? I think one reason RG3 never improved was because he was so used to guys like RG2 whispering in his ear that he was the greatest QB since sliced bread and that coaches conspired against him to destroy his career. Like a coach would willingly design a blocking scheme that would expose his QB to more sacks...did RG3 ever think that through?

I'm sure Jay didn't have RG3's back, however.

But it's baffling how people can be so blind to their own faults. I remember hearing when he was with the Browns he would be passive-aggressive in practice and throw the ball over the fence into the parking lot where reporters were huddled just to 'prove' to them he still had an arm.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Why do people like to pretend like the knee injury never happened? It's simply that what destroyed Griffin. He would've been something special if that never happened. 

Oh well

He should have ran out of bounds or slide or something not cut back inside where a certain Haloti Ngata was waiting to meet him.

50 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Whatever happened to that 'book' RG3 was going to 'write'? I think one reason RG3 never improved was because he was so used to guys like RG2 whispering in his ear that he was the greatest QB since sliced bread and that coaches conspired against him to destroy his career. Like a coach would willingly design a blocking scheme that would expose his QB to more sacks...did RG3 ever think that through?

I'm sure Jay didn't have RG3's back, however.

But it's baffling how people can be so blind to their own faults. I remember hearing when he was with the Browns he would be passive-aggressive in practice and throw the ball over the fence into the parking lot where reporters were huddled just to 'prove' to them he still had an arm.

The book got canceled because lawsuits were going to be flying left and right if it had been released.

I wish it had come out, I don't think Robert realizes how much it probably would have hurt him, I am sure his hope was to paint himself a victim wouldn't work.

I remember a game in 2014, right after a bye week, RG3 threw a stupid pick on the first play of the game, proceeded to stink the stadium up in a bad loss to a below average Tampa team.

At the post game presser, he was tossed a softball question about his performance in the game. He could of just done the easy answer and say, I wasn't good enough today, I need to be better. Instead he went on a considerable rant on how it was the entire team, and NOT him. His lack of personal accountability on full display. Couldn't stand the guy after that, and I like many so wanted him to be the guy for the franchise.

• Like 1