Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Danny Johnson Released (per Adam Schefter)

smithmal

I'm sad to see Danny go.  He's been on and off the roster a bunch, always tried hard and filled in for injured or ineffective starters when necessary.  

He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad.  You need a few Danny Johnsons on your team.  But, flip side, there are a lot of Danny Johnsons out there.  My guess is we signed another Danny Johnson who's name is something else. 

I wish him well.  I hope he catches on and plays a bit.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

Was there not even a dollar of future cap savings from this? If so that’s funnier. 

We save like 1.7 mil next year.

I like the idea of bringing in younger players with at least a measure of potential over vets on our roster, when were playing out a lost season such as this one. I'd be looking at other teams' practice squads for a couple fo guys to poach (I would have done this a while ago, frankly).

That said Johnson is pretty cheap and always seemed to be solid when forced into duty. I would have rather kept him, but it's not anything I am terribly concerned about. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

We save like 1.7 mil next year.

I like the idea of bringing in younger players with at least a measure of potential over vets on our roster, when were playing out a lost season such as this one. I'd be looking at other teams' practice squads for a couple fo guys to poach (I would have done this a while ago, frankly).

That said Johnson is pretty cheap and always seemed to be solid when forced into duty. I would have rather kept him, but it's not anything I am terribly concerned about. 

Oh that’s actually great then, I’d cut anyone of his caliber on the roster that even saves 250k in cap space next year, and replace with PS guys who can be signed to futures contracts. Full cultural turnover for depth/ST’s vets who don’t have dead cap consequences would be my preference. There are 25 cheap Danny Johnsons out there who haven’t been infected by The Suck here. Guys on rookie contract with potential, that’s different. Roster filler vets who only play because we’ve whiffed on so many draft picks, would love to save any amount of cap space and flush them ASAP. Especially on defense. Does Pringle save us anything? Dyami? Crowder even? Would send them packing. 

They won’t because they aren’t actually tanking, but I wish we had a voice in the building who would. IR guys with nagging injuries, too (this I think we start seeing the last couple weeks). 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

Oh that’s actually great then, I’d cut anyone of his caliber on the roster that even saves 250k in cap space next year, and replace with PS guys who can be signed to futures contracts. Full cultural turnover for depth/ST’s vets who don’t have dead cap consequences would be my preference. There are 25 cheap Danny Johnsons out there who haven’t been infected by The Suck here. Guys on rookie contract with potential, that’s different. Roster filler vets who only play because we’ve whiffed on so many draft picks, would love to save any amount of cap space and flush them ASAP. Especially on defense. Does Pringle save us anything? Dyami? Crowder even? Would send them packing. 

They won’t because they aren’t actually tanking, but I wish we had a voice in the building who would. IR guys with nagging injuries, too (this I think we start seeing the last couple weeks). 

Crowder and Pringle are on one year contracts, so cutting them doesn't save anything. Brown would I think 1.3 mil or so. But you'd replace him with a minimum salary guy, so you'n et save a few hundred thousand. I'd rather wait until next year and figure out where we are at the position. I wouldn't rule out bringing Crowder or Pringle back next year. Depends on how a lot of other things go.

Yes, it seems clear that McLaurin and Allen have been dealing with stuff. I'd IR both of the Wish there was someone in the building who was thinking that way. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Conn said:

After we lose this week, both Jon Allen and Daron Payne should be put on IR on Monday and site an ingrown hair or something.  Both because Allen is a valuable asset for next year either to trade or play, and no reason getting him hurt, and Payne playing might increase the chances of holding a team like the nets under 30. Payne can’t be traded. 

If I was Curl or Fuller I’d demand IR as well.  They’re good players going to FA. No reason to get hurt. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

After we lose this week, both Jon Allen and Daron Payne should be put on IR on Monday and site an ingrown hair or something.  Both because Allen is a valuable asset for next year either to trade or play, and no reason getting him hurt, and Payne playing might increase the chances of holding a team like the nets under 30. Payne can’t be traded. 

If I was Curl or Fuller I’d demand IR as well.  They’re good players going to FA. No reason to get hurt. 

Payne can be traded, cap hit stays broadly the same at 22mil I believe.

19 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Crowder and Pringle are on one year contracts, so cutting them doesn't save anything.

If neither had any guaranteed money, wouldn't that save a couple hundred thousand or so each if cut before the last 4 games?

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Given that Allen has likely been playing with plantar fasciitis all year, I actually think this wouldn't be that crazy an idea. 

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Payne can be traded, cap hit stays broadly the same at 22mil I believe.

Yeah I wouldn’t trade him to take a 22m cap hit unless you’re getting a first for him.  He’s more valuable on the team.  I also don’t think you want to have to replace all of your starting DL in one off season.  They already have to replace 2.  If they move Allen (they should) then that’s three.  That’s a lot already.  

I think Payne stays. I’d move Allen in a heartbeat though.  And maybe just because I can be a vindictive **** but the perfect place for him would be Carolina with Dan part II. 

1 hour ago, Brown43 said:

If neither had any guaranteed money, wouldn't that save a couple hundred thousand or so each if cut before the last 4 games?

But you have to replace them.  You can’t play with a 47 man roster.

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm sad to see Danny go.  He's been on and off the roster a bunch, always tried hard and filled in for injured or ineffective starters when necessary.  

He wasn't great, but he wasn't bad.  You need a few Danny Johnsons on your team.  But, flip side, there are a lot of Danny Johnsons out there.  My guess is we signed another Danny Johnson who's name is something else. 

I wish him well.  I hope he catches on and plays a bit.  

This is a very reasonable take. 

Agree completely.