Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Geno Way! We got Hawked.

KDawg

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Huh, Pete Carroll outright stating that putting together a few effective runs and sticking with it for just one drive made our offense less predictable and more difficult to defend and account for the remainder of the game.

But some will just keep posting that short passes replace the running game, entirely missing the point. 

The point being that they were perfectly timed play calls? That we set them up all game to play the pass and right when we needed to drive to win they didn’t see it coming? 

Almost sound like effective play calling! Hahaha

Edited by Llevron

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What HAS happened to Cheeseman this season?! He's been an okay long snapper, and I know we heard he changed his technique for some reason, but that game on Sunday. Tress was literally catching punts over his head, and the field goal snaps seemed way off too. He's not just making mistakes, he's been horrendous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Huh, Pete Carroll outright stating that putting together a few effective runs and sticking with it for just one drive made our offense less predictable and more difficult to defend and account for the remainder of the game.

But some will just keep posting that short passes replace the running game, entirely missing the point. 

They don't like to run the ball much, especially early in the game. I would like to see more of that. I like the short passing game with runs and longer passes sprinkled in. 

The poor OL play is hampering the medium and longer pass plays sadly. 

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I mean that sounds good but whatever guy Harris brings in here will have to make some decisions and rather quickly. 

A. What to do with current staff and players, including EB

B. An extensive evaluation of the roster. Will this be dependent on the coach or will he be above (I'm assuming he's above, but if we want our players to be good in particular systems then ...)

C. So does this mean that

C i) Harris likes Sam and hires a GM to build around him with that in mind

C ii) with that, they are looking at coaches that they think have a system that works for Sam and for this NFL. 

C III) we know that EB and Ben Johnson are hot names but been may want to go somewhere else like LA. 

D or could of mean that

D I) Harris doesn't like Sam and gives the GM authority to trade up in the draft

D ii) with that they hire a new coach and initiate a full rebuild. Lots of fun. 

I think that Sam is getting a lot of good national attention right now, both form the media and players/coaches, as long as he continues to play the way he has it would be a huge gamble for Harris to not continue on with Howell as QB. Unless we end up with a top 3 pick in the draft and go QB (even then I'm not sure that would be the right move already knowing what we have in Howell) I just dont see how Harris and new GM dont build around him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

What HAS happened to Cheeseman this season?! He's been an okay long snapper, and I know we heard he changed his technique for some reason, but that game on Sunday. Tress was literally catching punts over his head, and the field goal snaps seemed way off too. He's not just making mistakes, he's been horrendous.

Nothing new really, Cheeseman sucked last year too.

They should have brought competition in for him in the off season but waited until after the season began instead...another poor coaching decision. 

Tress probably should have received a smilie for his play at holder alone...crazy

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think that Sam is getting a lot of good national attention right now, both form the media and players/coaches, as long as he continues to play the way he has it would be a huge gamble for Harris to not continue on with Howell as QB. Unless we end up with a top 3 pick in the draft and go QB (even then I'm not sure that would be the right move already knowing what we have in Howell) I just dont see how Harris and new GM dont build around him.

That's the risk. And that's why I wanted to outline it. Because people wanted to act like GMs are being backed into a corner by Harris but Sam's play is doing this. They'd be crazy and talked about by the national media all over for messing this up 

So for all practical purposes we have our QB for the next two years (2023 and 2024). And the GM will be deciding what he needs. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yeah I dont put that much faith in the grades - but they are directional. We seemed to have a lot of trouble passing off stunts yesterday.

Mitch Tishler, from Finlay's podcast, who was at the game and played o line in college said all year Cosmi and Wylie have struggled with stunts and communicating with each other on it but Sunday especially so

Former Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder didn’t have much to say about his team toward the end, and when he did speak, you had to take it with a grain of salt. But he may have stumbled onto the truth when he told Maryland gambling officials in August 2022 that “we finally have ourselves a quarterback.”

Of course, he was talking about Carson Wentz — not Sam Howell, who had been drafted in the fifth round four months earlier out of North Carolina. Snyder probably didn’t even know Howell’s name at the time.     

Heck, head coach and personnel boss Ron Rivera may have forgotten it by then. Remember, he had to be reminded of it at the end of last year when Taylor Heinicke bowed out of the season finale against Dallas and suggested Rivera play Sam what’s his name.

He knows his name now. Every fifth sentence that comes out of Rivera’s mouth includes the name Sam Howell. And after the 23-year-old quarterback’s third straight strong performance Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, that number may move up to every third sentence.

Why not? Like Snyder, Rivera can claim that “we finally have ourselves a quarterback.” And, like Snyder, he pretty much stumbled into it.

No matter. Howell threw for 312 yards and three touchdowns Sunday for a 109.3 quarterback rating. The week before he passed for 325 yards, one touchdown and one interception for an 84 rating. Against Philadelphia, Howell threw for 397 yards, four touchdowns and one interception for a 114 quarterback rating.

I should remind you that they lost two of those three games, including Sunday’s 29-26 loss to the Seahawks. And the one game they did barely win was a 20-17 squeaker over perhaps the worst team in football, the New England Patriots.

I think the idea was supposed to be if the Commanders had a quarterback, this team would win. The quarterback was the missing piece, all that was between the Commanders and winning.

Guess what? Based on Washington’s 4-6 record, I think you can guess.

The quarterback wasn’t all that separated this team from losing and winning. This should be an alarming conclusion. 

The sales pitch has been that this team is close, with a talented foundation of key “core” Commanders— the term Rivera has fixated on has been “roster building.”

Remember Rivera’s famous declaration last year when he was asked about the difference between the Commanders and the success at that time of the other three NFC East teams, Rivera said, “Quarterback.”

“The truth is that this is a quarterback-driven league,” Rivera said. “And if you look at the teams that have been able to sustain success, they’ve been able to build it around a specific quarterback.”

Once he had a quarterback, Rivera’s Commanders would take the next step — double-digit wins, regular playoff appearances, respect.

But a quarterback, it seems, finally, is here. The team around that quarterback, meanwhile, doesn’t seem to be any closer to respectable than it was after Rivera’s first season. The roster Rivera and Co, have built is falling apart.

Rivera’s first big personnel decision — drafting defensive end Chase Young with the second overall pick in 2020 — officially earned the label of bust when he was traded last week for a late third-round pick to San Francisco.

The No. 1 pick from this year’s draft — cornerback Emmanuel Forbes — has been a disaster to date, benched for his performance on the field and then kicked out of Sunday’s game after a helmet-to-helmet hit in the first quarter. The rest of the 2023 draft has contributed little to the Commanders’ four victories.

Two of Rivera’s so-called core guys, defensive tackles Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne, have not anchored a strong defense — just the opposite. The Commanders, with one of the worst defenses in the league, have given up 274 points and 3,809 yards in 10 games to teams with a combined 35-50 record.

For all the yards passing Howell has this season – 2,783, the best in the NFL — Terry McLaurin is ranked just 18th in the league, with 51 catches. Their next highest pass catcher is Logan Thomas, ranked 44th with 38 receptions.

This doesn’t add up to a very good team around a quarterback who has played well of late and shown promise.

All of this, of course, is moot until new owner Josh Harris puts his imprint on this franchise and hires new front office decision makers and a new coach is in place. Nothing has happened so far this season to believe that scenario won’t unfold as expected.

But the new bosses in the building won’t be inheriting a ready-made winner with the final piece of success being Howell. They’ll get a team that, after four years of roster building by Rivera, needs more than a quarterback.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mitch Tishler, from Finlay's podcast, who was at the game and played o line in college said all year Cosmi and Wylie have struggled with stunts and communicating with each other on it but Sunday especially so

This raises more Wylie questions to me, he is a long time vet with experience at T and G. He should be able to communicate with the guy next to him.

Would having a really good Center calling the line assist? I know removing Wylie would...

• Like 1

I am curious are EB doubters/haters happy with Sam's development? 

Sure EB was painfully slow to adjust to the OL's failures but Sam's development has FAR exceeded my expectations and EB deserves some credit. It may be just getting tons of passing reps when other OC of yesteryear would run run short pass to nurture the fragile QB. EB said **** it you are learning best by passing, not handing it off. Ripped the bandaid right off vs wasting 3 years of nurturing development to only then to learn they can't pass when flushed out of the pocket.  Sam's first game under Ron's control? A paltry 11 completions - is that low volume truly best?

Nature over Nurture Eric; Nature always wins.

Now how much of said development is on EB is a guess. Many can certainly argue Sam just has it.  And I do think getting EB focused Sam in on studying Mahomes to prep for his style of offense, which is a big? part of his development that otherwise EB can't take credit for, unless he told Sam to do it.

Edited by RandyHolt

I haven't read through all the pages of this thread so not sure if it has been touched on. Did anyone see the very minimal effort made by Payne on the GW FG? everyone on the line is in the air trying to block the kick and Payne is just standing there. Guess whos head the ball went over? I understand its a low percentage chance its blocked but dude you are paid well to play. Make an effort. Its really kind of infuriating. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

In all fairness EB's grade should be given a full season with Howell.  I know a lot of people want everybody fired and EB to take over. 

IMO, that would stunt Howell's growth with more attention by EB given to the HC position and all the other BS that goes with it.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Is it EB or is it Tavita Pritchard, the QB coach?

Or was it the teachings Scott Turner instilled in him?

Realistically its part "Sam's just got it", college coach having no OL his senior and letting him learn feet to the fire to throw on the run, Ron the steady hand in s **** org, Scott, EB, and all the QB coaches along the way. Taylor and Carson!

I think the big thing is TONS of  reps with a ****ty OL. It doesn't take 3 years to learn if they can complete passes in the worst of situations. I think that may be what defines a QB.

Once again this past week we saw him loft one - this time to Gibson for the TD.

Edited by RandyHolt

There is no way EB should be the HC this season or next at this rate. 

There is no way you don’t give EB credit for the offensive success we have had this season. It’s literally his job lol. He was brought here to make the offense better and make Howell look good and both things are happening. 

They are rated 16th in the league right now. There is no way you expected better than that going into this season. They have exceeded expectations. There are many nits to pick. But a rookie QB looking the way he does right now says it all. 

Seriously either EB is the luckiest coordinator in the world in working with Mahomes and his second coming in both of his stops as OC or you have to admit he know what the **** he is doing. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Or was it the teachings Scott Turner instilled in him?

Realistically its part "Sam's just got it", college coach having no OL his senior and letting him learn feet to the fire to throw on the run, Ron the steady hand in s **** org, Scott, EB, and all the QB coaches along the way. Taylor and Carson!

I think the big thing is TONS of  reps with a ****ty OL. It doesn't take 3 years to learn if they can complete passes in the worst of situations. I think that may be what defines a QB.

Once again this past week we saw him loft one - this time to Gibson for the TD.

I think that's a large part of it - the reps. Kobe talks about it a lot how many practice shots he takes. MJ talks about it too. I think that means a lot. So if they could speed up this mental process and get him ahead of the game and just make him able to mentally see things faster then we could maybe be competing with the SFs and the Phillys and the KCs and the heavyweights of the league instead of hoping that a team like Atlanta or New England makes a critical mistake. 

• Thumb up 1

When anyone finds the updated "most difficult throws completed this season" stat, do let us know what Sam's numbers are.

I love that throw to Dyami - that should be one logged. Patience in the pocket maybe his 3rd read dropped right in over 2 chicken-hawks who fell to ground in utter disbelief Sam dropped that perfect TD pass right over both of them. Token shout out to our OL for holding up.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Is it EB or is it Tavita Pritchard, the QB coach?

Random thought. One could consider Ron, by refusing to address the OL via the draft properly, forced Sam to be fed to the redwolves to succeed or fail, all in rapid time.  If we had a great run game he'd pass 20-25 times a week and I argue slow cook him and maybe delay his development, for better or worse. Maybe the new GM would draft a QB with our 1st if he saw Sam being nurtured all year. But now he has tons of film in high pressure/difficulty situations to rate him. Not aided by a run game living off of PAP and deception.

Seems like Ron totally lucked his way into everything related to Sam. I am amazed we drafted him since Ron had shown his hand; vet QBs were his way forward through the end of his contract. Only by other teams GMs foolishly passing on Sam ignoring his strong junior year, did he fall into our laps. I want to know who thought we didn't need to draft a QB before the 5th round (hint: Ron), and who put their foot down and said ENUFF!  DRAFT HOWELL YOU FOOLS. Maybe THAT guy deserves all the credit for our joys.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Ron seems perfectly content with Cheeseman. I can only assume part of it is because quality long snappers are hard to find but he should have been looking for someone else long ago.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don't understand why Ron continues to play guys that flat out suck at their job. Its all over the roster. He just refuses to give up on bad players.  I almost feel like we had more talent when he first got the job than we do now. 

Howell's presence makes it a lot better. If you take him out we're basically worse or the same at every position group except WR which is a little bit better and I guess RB too.

OL: way worse without Williams, Scherff, and Moses.

DL: worse since we traded Sweat and Young and no longer have Kerrigan either. Allen and Payne are better now then they were then but they were here before Rivera.

LB: idk the same I guess? Davis is okay but the rest suck.

DB: Better. Fuller and Curl are solid. Forbes does still have upside.