Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders vs.The Eagles - Someone is getting their feathers plucked?!?!

zCommander

Just now, CobraCommander said:

I sure hope you are right. Personally I had more fun in 2012.

everyone did, at the time. But if the last 11 years since then had to happen to get rid of Snyder, it was all worth it (in a football sense, obviously nobody who suffered under Snyder’s abuse in a human way would agree). It’s a miracle we’re getting a new beginning and some still don’t seem to fully grasp it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, JSSkinz said:

It's amazing to me that people have bought into this narrative.  The team is already dysfunctional and why would a new owner stepping in and taking advantage of opportunity make it look more dysfunctional? So out of what, professional courtesy we're supposed to sit back and wait until the season is over because "that's what everyone does", that's such an ignorant take IMO.

Let Ron ride the season out as coach but dont let him F up opportunity that could bring us value next season.

I think there were 3 broad options available to Harris and Co.:

1) Keep everything in place for 23

2) Officially hire a new Team President/GM/Head Coach or someone combination thereof

3) Install an unofficial de facto Team President/GM who Rivera answers to

Option 2 was not on the table as it was too late in the game (both for type of major change and the ability to even recruit qualified candidates who would agree to come on board with month and half till opener).

Option 3, to my knowledge, has never been done successfully at any major professional sports.  You are essentially installing another version of Bruce Allen, the owner's lackey, except even Bruce had an official title.  How would that even work?  It would almost be better for Harris to intervene directly and order Rivera to make certain decisions.  But if there is anything the last 2+ decades of Snyder has taught us, it is that owners make terrible GMs and recipe for success is to find competent football personnel people who can successfully run the franchise.  I can't imagine being able to find anyone qualified to put their name forth as a legit candidate for one of the top 32 personnel guy in the NFL being available and willing to sign on as some type of a shadow GM in late July.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

If that’s what you want then you should be rooting for EB to keep improving the offense and focused there. Right now he won’t get another OC job. No one is taking him from us to be a HC. Period that shouldn’t even be in your mind at this point. 

That’s what I want for the same reason. But right now him being our OC is a stretch unless he calls these kids of games more consistently. And I say that ignoring the few terrible calls he made today. 

I am rooting for the offense, but as you can see, the offense can be amazing and we'll still lose. How can a defensive minded coach. spend everything on defense and still have a trash defense?*

*Ignore that last part, that has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that its pissing me off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

epitome of a guy being a dinosaur in his field 

Dude said he still doesn’t know if it was complete or not. There are coaches in this league who remember ever play call they made in 1997 the resulting down and distance and their mindset going into the next call lol

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The miserable ****ing Giants are going to end up drafting WIlliams in the next draft. I can feel …. 

Even after ****ing up and paying DJ they would be so fortunate smh at our luck…….or dumbasses in the  FO.

17 minutes ago, Conn said:

not close….

-Allen stealing on Payne on national tv while getting stomped by the Cowboys a couple years ago watching Micah dominate while our 1st rd lber……….

• Like 1

When I see the fog Rivera operates in and how lost he looks most of the time, I just find myself hoping it’s purely him being over this job, and that he’s not like that in the rest of his life. He doesn’t look like the same dude we hired, it’s actually worrisome.

Maybe he’s got some self-pity over being the only coach to ever experience two separate team sales, and he’s just mentally over it. That would be best case scenario for him. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

everyone did, at the time. But if the last 11 years since then had to happen to get rid of Snyder, it was all worth it (in a football sense, obviously nobody who suffered under Snyder’s abuse in a human way would agree). It’s a miracle we’re getting a new beginning and some still don’t seem to fully grasp it 

I’m abused, what can I say? There’s always the possibility that despite Harris being a good owner we still stink for 24 more years. I highly doubt it but there’s really now way to know now. This team has been bad for decades at a time if I’m correct.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

When I see the fog Rivera operates in and how lost he looks most of the time, I just find myself hoping it’s purely him being over this job, and that he’s not like that in the rest of his life. He doesn’t look like the same dude we hired, it’s actually worrisome.

Maybe he’s got some self-pity over being the only coach to ever experience two separate team sales, and he’s just mentally over it. That would be best case scenario for him. 

Ron is 100% coasting off a season 8 years ago when he couldn't even seal the deal. If we had that guy as our HC, we would be in better shape right now, but we don't, and even 2015 Ron wouldn't be the bright, innovative mind this team needs.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

I’m abused, what can I say? There’s always the possibility that despite Harris being a good owner we still stink for 24 more years. I highly doubt it but there’s really now way to know now. This team has been bad for decades at a time if I’m correct.

There’s a difference between being bad with a real chance at relevance and being bad with no hope of ever getting it right. There is hope now. If we’re bad, there will be accountability and the next hire might get it right. There was never hope under Snyder because we could never ever do things like a normal organization with him. Fatally flawed in a way that couldn’t be fixed without the unlikely miracle of a sale. And we got that. 

There’s also a difference between having a worst case of at least being a lovable loser, and being a detestable evil organization while also being a loser. Actively rooting for this organization in the later years of Snyder became an issue of morality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yeah he’s coming off like a dude who is just half paying attention and is about cashing his pay check to finish off this season.

I hope it’s just him being checked out versus something else.

Of all the coaches I can recall here, Rivera might be the dude who seems to have declined the most in their last season. Zorn and Spurrier were bad but they came off bad mostly from the jump.

Rivera had been OK leading to this year but this year he’s had a clownish off season and has followed that up with a clownish level coaching job 

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Brother Redskin said:

EB called a game much like many around here was calling for. We actually saw some slants and generally quicker developing plays.  Hopefully he's learned his lesson and keeps it up.

He did, and he called screen passes as well as some roll outs. Terry has to make those catches....but some positives, Sam looks like our guy, we stopped the tush push and actually caused a fumble. 

Defensive line failed us today, we wouldn't miss Chase Young if we dealt him and Sweat didn't do anything today either. 

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cousins might be out for the season. Could be a other team interested in Brisett.

We must trade Brissett....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I think there were 3 broad options available to Harris and Co.:

I don't believe you need options 1, 2, or 3, the Martys are fully capable of making and taking calls on trades, this doesn't need to be overly complicated.  We've heard the reports so what are the deals being proposed and let's make sure we take advantage of an opportunity if it presents itself.  You dont need a new GM to do that but ownership may need to apply pressure to the current FO to make sure those deals are consummated. I dont think that's too much to ask.  I'm sure Josh has someone or a few football minds consulting him so I dont see why this process is made out to be so taboo.

This is about acquiring assets that will eventually be used by the new GM, the only thing the new GM loses was the chance to make the decision on Chase and Sweat but by the time he gets here it will be too late so IMO the loss of opportunity outweighs sticking a new GM with 2 overhyped free agent DE's who will want top dollar.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Good god the ref in the balt game just moved the ball back half a yard when the chains were being brought out

That was a 1st down too.

On a semi-related topic: Is this rigged to make Baltimore win? When something like this happens and even when the announcers are laughing about what the hell is this ref doing then that is why the fans will say it is rigged. But in reality it is a stupid ref doing stupid things and getting away with it. 

• Like 1