Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Regarding Schultz “zoo” comments.  I’m pretty sure I’ve read that Jerry markets everything for sale, including tours of the practice facility.

Yeah they do...a hundred years ago I was at a convention in Dallas. The host company booked a tour of old cowboys stadium when babe laufenberg was there. But, GB stadium does the same with their restaurants open year round and tours. 

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Harris would have been a great get, but he served under Whitt, who was the secondary coach. I think Whitt was the bigger steal. My BIL is a Cowboys fan, he was not happy about losing Whitt

War.

And whitt has history of his secondaries being great at getting interceptions that dates way back before harris or quinn.

Most likely the reason quinn grabbed him for defensive coordinator instead of harris.

By all accounts harris is an excellent coach and I would have loved to poach him but between the two I'm glad we got whitt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, redskinss said:

War.

And whitt has history of his secondaries being great at getting interceptions that dates way back before harris or quinn.

Most likely the reason quinn grabbed him for defensive coordinator instead of harris.

By all accounts harris is an excellent coach and I would have loved to poach him but between the two I'm glad we got whitt

Jason Simmons is good too and worked with Whitt in GB. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i used to live on the FO thread, its where I'd come to rant.  The less time I spend on this thread the healthier the team likely is.  :ols:

I would like to point out to Mark Ein PFF grades the Vikings off season as an A- after they let Kirk walk for nothing but a possible 3rd round comp pick and signed Sam Darnold.  

So.  Appreciate the nice words from PFF.  

They’re still channeling the inner stupid of Chris Collinsworth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Cowboys fans big mad about Quinn.  Tells me he's a good get (for all 2 people still not on board with him).

The best part about it is they're right and ****em!!!!!!

Quin had options and he did chose to stay and wait for the perfect opportunity to come along where he could assemble all the guys he coveted which included several cowboys coaches and players, it's how the nfl works.

It ain't our fault Jerry's world can't get over the hump with a top 5 defense and offense because it's a circus.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Cowboys fans big mad about Quinn.  Tells me he's a good get (for all 2 people still not on board with him).

This is the root of it:

• Like 2

"All aboard!

Next stop is today's brand new Commanders acquisition interviews.

Show  your tickets and please move to the back of the train.

All aboard!.."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ekeler is actually excited to be part of a two man backfield again, this time with Brian Robinson playing Batman to his Robin.

What  stands out though, is how much he really loves working with coach Lynn.

My guess is that without Lynn,  Ekeler's playing for another team...

"Austin Ekeler's departure from Los Angeles didn't come as a surprise -- in fact, it was a foregone conclusion for some time.

His choice for his next stop, however, was interesting. Ekeler decided to leave the only team he'd known in his NFL life to the nation's capital to play for the Washington Commanders, where the veteran back will play a complementary role to the younger Brian Robinson.

As Ekeler explained it Monday, it's a role he knows well and would like to replicate alongside a familiar face in former Chargers coach (and current Commanders running backs coach) Anthony Lynn.

"Yeah, it was just an opportunity to come in and be this two-back backfield, back where I was feeling the best in my career with Melvin Gordon and I when I was going through my first contract," Ekeler explained. "That really was intriguing to me, just the philosophies, being in a room with coach Lynn as well as far as a running back coach.

"This man is an absolute guru. So just being back in a room with him I know will definitely keep me focused, keep me locked in and give me the best opportunity to push myself as a player. And so that was the opportunity and the environment I wanted to be in." "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Is this idiot confusing Dan Quinn with what Daulton Schultz said?

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Is this idiot confusing Dan Quinn with what Daulton Schultz said?

No he legitimately thinks that Quinn purposely waited until this offseason to take another HC opportunity so that he could line up with the expiring contracts of all of the rotational players we “stole” lol, and take the assistants with him. And that his heart basically wasn’t in it and if that was the case, he should have left after year 1 with Dallas. Instead of leading them on for multiple years (umm like every other coordinator waiting for the right opportunity)

Delusional and butthurt, basically. 

Can’t accept that he just waited for the best opportunity and would have loved to win a SB with them before leaving, but failed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

No he legitimately thinks that Quinn purposely waited until this offseason to take another HC opportunity so that he could line up with the expiring contracts of all of the rotational players we “stole” lol, and take the assistants with him. And that his heart basically wasn’t in it and if that was the case, he should have left after year 1 with Dallas. Instead of leading them on for multiple years (umm like every other coordinator waiting for the right opportunity)

Can’t accept that he just waited for the best opportunity and would have loved to win a SB with them before leaving, but failed. 

Also, he wants the Cowboys to draft that kid who doesn't believe in space.... thinks he has some interesting ideas 👍

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Conn said:

It’s going to feel good to really have a rivalry again. Dallas has gotten a pass from me lately, I despise New York and Philly teams, and their fans, across the board. But the NFL is the only sport Dallas is even in our conference, let alone division. It’s going to be great to beat them again!

14 hours ago, Conn said:

Your point has merit too, I didn't mean to imply he was passing up good opportunities in a diabolical scheme to screw over the cowboys just that the truth was somewhere in the middle. 

I'm sure quinn could have gotten a job with a team that was run like we have been for the past 25 years but chose to wait for the perfect opportunity and he also knew exactly who he wanted to take with him which included a bunch of the coaches and players who he helped acquire while with the cowboys, it's just the way the nfl works.

When Shanahan left he took a mountain of offensive talent we didn't even know we had and ironically a lot of it went to quinn, maybe this is just a little positive karma coming around now that baby napoleon is gone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Your point has merit too, I didn't mean to imply he was passing up good opportunities in a diabolical scheme to screw over the cowboys just that the truth was somewhere in the middle. 

I'm sure quinn could have gotten a job with a team that was run like we have been for the past 25 years but chose to wait for the perfect opportunity and he also knew exactly who he wanted to take with him which included a bunch of the coaches and players who he helped acquire while with the cowboys, it's just the way the nfl works.

When Shanahan left he took a mountain of offensive talent we didn't even know we had and ironically a lot of it went to quinn, maybe this is just a little positive karma coming around now that baby napoleon is gone.

Exactly, I think part of it is Quinn knew that he was pretty sure that he was going to get the chance to be a HC again. He also knew from his previous gig that no matter how good of a coach you are, if you are not put into a good situation (ownership, GM etc) your chances of success are diminished a lot. He waited for a good fit, wasn't in a bad spot as a DC and had no reason to just jump at any HC opportunity that came along. When this spot opened up he saw that this situation gives him that chance to succeed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Exactly, I think part of it is Quinn knew that he was pretty sure that he was going to get the chance to be a HC again. He also knew from his previous gig that no matter how good of a coach you are, if you are not put into a good situation (ownership, GM etc) your chances of success are diminished a lot. He waited for a good fit, wasn't in a bad spot as a DC and had no reason to just jump at any HC opportunity that came along. When this spot opened up he saw that this situation gives him that chance to succeed. 

I think DQ probably zeroed in on Washington the moment the team sale went through. I'm sure he figured Rivera was about to get canned and based on the ownership group and then especially the Adam Peters hiring, this was the job the coveted from the jump. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I think DQ probably zeroed in on Washington the moment the team sale went through. I'm sure he figured Rivera was about to get canned and based on the ownership group and then especially the Adam Peters hiring, this was the job the coveted from the jump. 

Yep. Actually, didn’t he say or people in Dallas said he was eyeing this team last fall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Yep. Actually, didn’t he say or people in Dallas said he was eyeing this team last fall.

As an experienced HC (or a "retread" as some of us foolishly called him), he likely understood moreso than Boy Wonder candidates that stable ownership is far more valuable than shiny practice facilities or a more developed roster.

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

As an experienced HC (or a "retread" as some of us foolishly called him), he likely understood moreso than Boy Wonder candidates that stable ownership is far more valuable than shiny practice facilities or a more developed roster.

I mean with new ownership we're gonna get shiny practice facilities eventually anyway. And if you trust the GM the roster will come.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean with new ownership we're gonna get shiny practice facilities eventually anyway. And if you trust the GM the roster will come.

Yup. The stadium will be more than half a decade away, in all likelihood—but a shiny new practice facility is probably only a couple years away. I actually would expect to hear news of a new practice facility site within 6 months or so (unless it’s tied up in the stadium plans and will be on the same site. Since I think RFK is the spot, I doubt that’ll be the case)

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

It looks like we may be getting some XFL type changes to kickoffs next season.

The owners will be voting on a competition committee  reccomendation, which generally is just a rubber stamp proclaiming, "You want, it you got it".

The NFL's competition committee proposed a revamped kickoff Wednesday that resembles the alignment used in the XFL during its 2020 and 2023 seasons, one of a series of high-profile changes owners will consider next week at their annual league meeting.

The committee also offered a rule that would prohibit the hip-drop tackling technique.

The kickoff proposal would be the most significant on-field rule change for the NFL in years and is designed to reverse more than a decade of declining return rates while also lowering concussion rates. In essence, the committee's proposal would move the majority of the kicking and return teams downfield to minimize high-speed collisions. If approved by at least 24 of 32 owners, the rule would go into effect for one year only.

The kicker would continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players would line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team would line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard line. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line. No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks would be marked at the 35-yard line, and no fair catches would be allowed.

In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it would have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks would be allowed.

The proposal follows the structure and philosophy of the XFL version with a slight shift in where the players are aligned. In the XFL, they lined up farther downfield, between the returning team's 30- and 35-yard lines.

More than 90% of kickoffs were returned during the XFL's two seasons.

The reason for the proposed changes is clear. In its efforts to reduce concussions on kickoffs, the NFL over the past 15 seasons has implemented rule changes designed to reduce returns. It moved the kickoff from the 30-yard line to the 35-yard line, outlawed wedge and double-team blocks and in 2023 created a rule that allowed a fair catch to be spotted at the 25-yard line.

Touchback rates dramatically increased over that period and the return rate fell to a league-record 21.7% in 2023. The number of concussions dropped as well, but only in parallel with the decrease in returns. The rate of concussions per kickoff, according to league officials, has remained relatively constant.