Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

The offensive staff is interesting. I kinda like how there are so many different guys. Its like a fun heist movie where you got guys with a bunch of different skills and backgrounds and they gotta figure out how to collaborate to rob the bank.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

can someone smarter then me tell me if its possible to run a hybrid west coast/air raid offense?  can it be that maybe kingsbury is trying to evolve and take the best parts of both.  I have no idea im just throwing thoughts at the wall and am mostlikely talking out my behind.  dont mind me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah coaching is a tight fraternity and most guys will want to encourage their assistants to reach out if it means growing their career. The exception is high quality coordinators since they are sooo instrumental to team success(which is why it was such a red flag that Reid just let us have Bienemy last year).

I don't think a HC puts up as much of a fight when someone goes to a team not in their division. It's different when you have a coach go to a team in your division and have to face them twice a year. 

• Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Lynn is a pretty good get. Would think assistant head coach to Rb’s would be a move down though. 

Run Game Coordinator, not RB coach right? 

The Assistant HC stuff is more administrative, helping the HC run the team’s scheduling and stuff. 

I bet Lynn will get more say in the offense and get to flex his run game design muscles more here than being Kyle Shanahan’s assistant. This run game will have a lot more of his DNA in it, and if Kliff stumbles he’s a natural replacement. So it’s a pretty good opportunity for him imo and I can see why it outweighs the Assistant HC title for him. 

And the 49ers needed to choose to let him pursue this opportunity, they could have said no. Which means he really wants this and convinced them to let him go. 

We’re also filling the staff with experienced guys who may bring us draft pick compensation some day if they earn future HC interviews. Smart, long term. And trying to replicate what Peters witnessed in SF in that regard. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The offensive staff is interesting. I kinda like how there are so many different guys. Its like a fun heist movie where you got guys with a bunch of different skills and backgrounds and they gotta figure out how to collaborate to rob the bank.

download (17).jpg

• Haha 1

What many of these hires say to me is exactly what I thought when we hired Quinn, no egos involved - strictly about building the best staff possible and meshing ideas.

It’s possible all these brains in the room could lend itself to dysfunction, which makes it imperative to have a guy like Quinn overseeing all of it, and not being worried about installs and playcalling.

• Like 4

Not only does it appear like people want to be here, they're also making lateral moves or even apparent demotions to come work with these guys. 

I have to imagine part of the sell is that Quinn is expecting coaching moves in the not-too-distant future and he wants to make sure there are competent people ready to step up and take over. Like if Kliff just kills it (hopefully) and then takes a new job we have in-house candidates ready to roll. With this many talented and experienced coaches, they're going to have opportunities if they do the job we're all expecting.

Excited for defense, intrigued by offense but still a little cautious. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Thats interesting - wonder if that signals that Kingsbury is thinking of doing something different offensively than he has before. He ran the ball quite a bit with the Cardinals - but from spread and the numbers were inflated by having Murray run it quite a bit (though he ran it less the last couple of seasons they were together). But air raid is normally 4 or 5 eligible and blocking with your 5 O'line. Running tends to be inside zone or Gap. Not much outside zone. 

Meanwhile 49ers were in 2 backs and 2 receivers more than any team in football and ran a ton of outside zone. 

Someone is adjusting here. 

Was just thinking the same thing.  I’ll add that it’s even possible Kingsbury completely switches it up, like moving to a predominantly west coast offense with some of the guys he brought on being able to serve as, well, something like interpreters between the two systems.  Regardless, looks like a sign his offense is likely to look a fair bit different than we might have expected.  (“We” meaning those versed in the Air Raid system… which doesn’t really include me, lol)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Love the Lynn hire but i wonder why the niners let him walk for what appears to be a lateral move at best.

The cowboys blocked us with harris, I wonder why the niners didn't do the same with Lynn?

I know our staff is very cozy with their staff but this is dog eat dog here I can't imagine they were trying to do us a favor.

I think maintaining those relationships is extremely important in this business. And Lynn arguably has a better chance to show off his schematic talents here under Kliff, where the run game will be his baby and has much more of his DNA than in SF, where Kyle understandably gets the credit for everything. That could be a better stepping stone back to the HC ranks someday than being Kyle’s assistant. And I think SF would understand that. 

The Cowboys aren’t an organization that I’d say is known for cultivating relationships around the league, below the ownership level. They’re in a shrinking window and are terrified about it. The 49ers are class, used to success at this point, and build into their organizational philosophy the idea that they’ll be able to groom replacements for these guys and reap the benefits. I’m guessing they let Lynn follow his ambitions. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

I originally gave the hiring of Quinn a solid "B" grade.

I was wrong.

Given the staff he's brought in (which was thoroughly discussed in his interview) there's no way this isn't an "A" hire.

We have the equivalent of an all star game coaching staff (with one puzzling exception that deserves and gets the benefit of the doubt, for now).

• Like 12

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I originally gave the hiring of Quinn a solid "B" grade.

I was wrong.

Given the staff he's brought in (which was thoroughly discussed in his interview) there's no way this isn't an "A" hire.

We have the equivalent of an all star game coaching staff (with one puzzling exception that deserves and gets the benefit of the doubt, for now).

I've really grown on this hire since the initial announcement. He appears to have a drive and commitment to this job that started before he was hired. Cannot argue with what he has said or done so far (OL hire not withstanding lol) but it certainly is exciting times. He's bringing together a lot of personalities and possibly guys who are used to being the "leader". Interesting to see if they can all get behind a singular vision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1