Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Perhaps…

If…

Maybe…

I just don't see why it's deemed unacceptable to be a bit concerned about a guy who's resume is less than stellar.  Seriously, what is wrong with that?  It's a perfectly reasonable response to a past history both in college and in the pros that is troubling.  The guy has been noted as being a tireless worker in college and the pros, always willing to add to his playbook, which is a great trait to have.  I'd never knock that.  But despite this accolade, his offenses have been figured out and outright stonewalled every year.  That's concerning to me.  

As I said, no one's running around with their hair on fire panicking, saying the sky is falling and that this hire is a failure before it even starts.  However, showing legit concern is not even remotely the same thing as panicking.  

As i clearly stated, and I'll do so one more time: maybe he has used the time away from the NFL to augment his offense and address concerns.  He will need to if he's going to overcome his offense's past shortcomings.

• Like 1

We still have no idea who will be QBing the offense.  We have some semblance of an idea of what we think Kingsbury will do that is based on his performance that lost him his job.  

A lot of unknown major variables as to how the offense turns out.  To damn it to hell already, indicates you are under the impression that Kliff learned nothing and we’ll draft a mediocre QB.

Chill.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I just don't see why it's deemed unacceptable to be a bit concerned about a guy who's resume is less than stellar.  Seriously, what is wrong with that?  It's a perfectly reasonable response to a past history both in college and in the pros that is troubling.  The guy has been noted as being a tireless worker in college and the pros, always willing to add to his playbook, which is a great trait to have.  I'd never knock that.  But despite this accolade, his offenses have been figured out and outright stonewalled every year.  That's concerning to me.  

As I said, no one's running around with their hair on fire panicking, saying the sky is falling and that this hire is a failure before it even starts.  However, showing legit concern is not even remotely the same thing as panicking.  

As i clearly stated, and I'll do so one more time: maybe he has used the time away from the NFL to augment his offense and address concerns.  He will need to if he's going to overcome his offense's past shortcomings.

Because everything you based your panic attack on started with those three words: perhaps, if, and maybe.

like I said, maybe take a breath and let them throw a pass first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It's understandable to be nervous/skeptical about Kingsbury. I kinda am too.  But I'm hopeful that he's learned some things and under the tutelage of Dan Quinn can adapt his offense to be more NFL-friendly.

For me, I was skeptical about the Kliff hire but my panic set in a bit with the OL hire. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

For me, I was skeptical about the Kliff hire but my panic set in a bit with the OL hire. 

Yeah I don't love the OL coach hire either but I'm hopeful the bad results on the Giants was more a by-product of him having poor talent and a ravaged group last year.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stoox said:

Bobby Johnson's lines in Buffalo were actually pretty good:

2019 Buffalo: 40 Sacks allowed #15 
2020 Buffalo: 27 Sacks allowed #9 
2021 Buffalo: 27 Sacks allowed #2 

If he can replicate those results, we are in business.

You bring up a good point: if the blocking concepts and techniques are different in the Air Raid....does this mean we would need a different type of lineman (ie - quicker and more athletic, but maybe a little smaller?) If yes, that's good timing, since we need 3 new starters anyway at centre and the two tackles. Stromberg could fit as the C. And Andrew Wylie could actually fit in at LG.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/24/andy-reid-considers-andrew-wylie-one-of-chiefs-better-athletes/

Stoox said:

You bring up a good point: if the blocking concepts and techniques are different in the Air Raid....

I read the above line and it occurred to me, that I really had no idea what was different and unique about the Air Raid offense with respect to line play.

I also thought a basic knowledge of AirRaid offensive line concepts might give me insight into why Bobby Johnson was chosen as our offensive line coach.

So  I headed off to that dastardly Google demon infesting my computer, to see if it would play nice with me and grant me access to its precious knowledge.

That turned into a multi-hour trip down a wormhole,  but I did somehow stumble across the article below that simplified concepts enough that even this absent minded old dog could learn, at least the fundamentals, of a new trick.

Decided to share it with those interested.*

(There's much more available, including additional articles on the Air Raid offense if you follow the link at the bottom of this post.)

Air Raid Offense Series: Understanding Defense and Offensive Line Play

The Air Raid is just like any other offense — it all starts up front.

By rlatty1  Jun 28, 2018, 11:00am EDT

"...In an offense that centers around the pass like the Air Raid does, pass protection is key.

With defenses able to key in on rushing the quarterback, Air Raid pioneers Mike Leach and Hal Mumme had to be creative in protecting the quarterback.

To understand the strategy behind the offensive line, we need to take a quick crash course on defense.

Defensive fronts come in all shapes and arrangements but follow several general rules. The below chart contains sets of numbers/letters. The top portion represents techniques or positions the defensive linemen will align in, while the bottom letters represent gaps a defender is responsible for covering.

image.png.f95fbeed876db8a197b76104b4992529.png

Once the defense calls out the offensive formation’s strength (determined by the formation, placement on the field, offensive alignment), the defensive linemen and linebackers will get into position.

Zero and even techniques line head up on the offensive linemen, odd numbers line up on the outside shoulder, and an even number plus “i” (for inside) aligns on the inside shoulder.

They are also assigned a gap to cover in the run game, depending on that alignment, or a gap to rush in the passing game.

<snip>...A defense can add pressure in two forms -- the blitz and twists. Blitzes are straightforward -- an extra rusher is taken out of coverage to attack the quarterback. Twists, however, cause pressure by attempting to confuse the offensive line.

image.png.536aa96f633daccbe71741e075a19a41.png

^In an end-tackle twist, the tackle penetrates and occupies the guard while attempting to pick the offensive tackle. Meanwhile, the end “twists” around high of the tackle. This creates confusion on the line...

image.png.5266776ffa500e7ea9e8e8ab9f23aab4.png

^A tackle-tackle twist is the same concept but utilizes the interior defensive linemen...The strategy is to again confuse the guards and center into not blocking the twisting tackle.

With so many means to attack an offense, Mumme and Leach needed to get creative and simple on the offensive line.

The first step was to increase the split, or distance between the linemen.

In a typical set, linemen are about a foot or so away from each other. In the Air Raid, linemen are set 2-3 or more yards from each other.

If a defender is lined up as an odd technique -- meaning lined up to the outside shoulder of a player, the player would increase the split wider.

This created several advantages:

1. The first was that defensive linemen were spread further from the quarterback and thus had to cover more distance to get to the quarterback, which means the offense had more time to pass.

2. Defensive linemen attempting to twist had to cover a greater distance, allowing the offensive linemen more time to recognize the stunt and pick it up.

3. With traditional narrow splits, linebackers were packed into the middle of the field over the ball.

4. With offensive linemen spread wide in the Air Raid, the linebackers had to spread out as well, which created more passing lanes.

5. This also helped identify blitzes and man coverage based on the linebackers’ alignment pre-snap.

6. Leach also suggested “fanning” the linemen out...

which means aligning the front foot of the guard on the back foot of the center, and the front foot of the tackle on the back foot of the guards.

7. This staggered position allowed the tackles more space and extra time to kick back into a pass blocking position against quicker ends.

8. Finally, the pass protection scheme itself was simplified to a man scheme with a simple concept -- “BOB”.

A size matchup occurs when running backs attempt to block larger ends or, worse, defensive tackles. There was also a potential speed and agility mismatch for tackles against quicker linebackers.

“BOB” had two concepts with the first being “Big on Big”. This meant that offensive linemen were to first block defensive linemen before looking for linebackers.

It also referred to “Backs on Backers”— running backs and H-backs looking to block blitzing linebackers and defensive backs.

To determine who was blocking whom, Leach and Mumme deployed counting rules based on how a defense lined up.

A central defender would be marked as 0, with each player moving away from that 0 as 1, 2, and 3. The zero is always either a lineman heads up on the center, or in the absence of that, a linebacker over the center of the offense.

In instances where the 0 is a linebacker, the center will check to ensure he isn’t rushing, then slide to the closest 1 to help in protection. This principle applies to the guards whose 1 is a linebacker, sliding to either the 0 or 2 to help.

HOW THE STANDARD 4-3 DEFENSIVE FRONT IS HANDLED (basic only)--

image.png.994b6eae3abcfcf497abfd76ce8edad5.png

^In this standard 4-3 alignment, there is no zero technique so the central most player would be designated the 0.

Working away while staying on the line of scrimmage would be the defensive tackles as the 1 and ends as the 2.

If the 0 blitzes, the center stays to block him. If not, the center will slide to help either guard with their 1.

If the 3’s blitz, the running or H-back will stay in to block.

If neither blitz, then the back will release to the flats or run a designated route.

If both blitz and there are not enough backs to block, then the quarterback will throw to the hot route<snip>...

HOW THE STANDARD 3-4 IS HANDLED (basic only)--

image.png.872250865c4877cd7d1ebff1bf256c92.png

^In this 3-4 alignment, there is a zero-technique lined up on the center which he will block as the 0 man.

The 1’s are linebackers lined up off the ball. The guards will check for blitzes from these backers before proceeding to help with either the 0 or 2 man.

Finally, the tackles will block the 2 ends and the running and H-backs will pick up the 3 linebackers

How the standard nickle defense is handled (basic only)--

image.png.80c562e14611f4b8e03d699ef7e0a498.png

^One of the more common defenses the Air Raid and modern offenses will see is the nickel 4-2, allowing the defense to put more defensive backs on the field to counter the spread-out receivers.

Once again, with no defender over the center, the 0 will be declared as a linebacker off the line.

The variance in this is how the 3 is handled. With only six men in the box, the first 3 will be the second linebacker but the last 3 will be the closest line defender outside of the box.

In instances in which both 3’s rush, or there are more rushers than linemen and backs, the quarterback is responsible to throw to the hot route.

These simple guidelines and rules allowed the Air Raid to dominate a quarter century of college football, and its basic principles remain in use today. <snip>..."

Much more info here...

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/6/28/17455842/air-raid-offense-series-understanding-defense-and-offensive-line-play-alignment-formation-scheme

*Note: To add emphasis and to make the material easier to read and comprehend, I broke up several long paragraphs, numbered certain important points for better clarity, added bold text to important statements, added asterisks, and in one instance, changed the font size.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thanks 16

53 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because everything you based your panic attack on started with those three words: perhaps, if, and maybe.

like I said, maybe take a breath and let them throw a pass first.

LOL.  Hardly a panic attack, my friend.  

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We still have no idea who will be QBing the offense.  We have some semblance of an idea of what we think Kingsbury will do that is based on his performance that lost him his job.  

A lot of unknown major variables as to how the offense turns out.  To damn it to hell already, indicates you are under the impression that Kliff learned nothing and we’ll draft a mediocre QB.

Chill.

Once again....I didn't damn him or ever say he learned nothing.  I NEVER made that declarative statement.  I said IF he's not augmented his scheme - addressed the issues that sunk him last time, then we're going to have the same result.  IF.  And that's why I'm eager for him to have a presser so that he can address those questions.  Hell, even Keim stated the same thing.  He thinks it's a major question that must be asked.  

Read my post again, please.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Does anyone know which NFL teams currently use,  or plan to use, the Air Raid offense?

Pretty much every team uses Air Raid concepts like mesh routes and four receiver sets with the QB operating out of the gun. I'm not sure what makes something de facto air raid in general but it's crept into the league more and more as the NFL has evolved into a pass-dominant league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Does anyone know which NFL teams currently use,  or plan to use, the Air Raid offense?

Pure Air Raid? Nobody. Teams use concepts or bits and pieces from it but nothing like what is run in college. 

This is a good summary of how different a pro style offense is from an Air Raid for a QB

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Once again....I didn't damn him or ever say he learned nothing.  I NEVER made that declarative statement.  I said IF he's not augmented his scheme - addressed the issues that sunk him last time, then we're going to have the same result.  IF.  And that's why I'm eager for him to have a presser so that he can address those questions.  Hell, even Keim stated the same thing.  He thinks it's a major question that must be asked.  

Read my post again, please.

My post wasn’t solely about yours.  You aren’t alone in that regard.

As for Kingsbury, I expect him to say he’s constantly learning, challenging himself, and whatever else coaches say.  I can’t imagine he intends on repeating the same stuff that led to his firing.

My primary point is there are so many unknowns right now regarding QB and personnel in general.  I think it would be hard for Kingsbury to know exactly what he intends to do not knowing who he will be doing it with.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My post wasn’t solely about yours.  You aren’t alone in that regard.

As for Kingsbury, I expect him to say he’s constantly learning, challenging himself, and whatever else coaches say.  I can’t imagine he intends on repeating the same stuff that led to his firing.

My primary point is there are so many unknowns right now regarding QB and personnel in general.  I think it would be hard for Kingsbury to know exactly what he intends to do not knowing who he will be doing it with.

That's completely fair.   And in no way have I ever disagreed with that sentiment.  And I would never judge an OC until he's had a chance to prove himself.  I certainly apologize if I erroneously took your post personally.  

I guess I'm a bit touchy tonight because I've raised, what I feel (and many, many fans and analysts including John Keim) are legit concerns - NOT panic - over Kliff's worriesome history with regard to the sustainability of his offense over the course of a season, whether it be in college or the pros.  But those legit concerns have been repeatedly decreed to be utter panic on my part, which couldn't be further from the truth.  (Yet, no one seems to be accusing Keim or any of those expressing the exact same concern in the media as being panicked, which is odd.)

I certainly won't put words into anyone's mouth or attempt to speak on their behalf, but in the life I'm living, concern in no way, shape or form equals panic.   Others seem to take a different outlook on that, however.    

Oh, well.  It's certainly not worth quibbling over, especially since we all want this to go in the same positive direction.  I appreciate your reply to my earlier post.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

Josh Harris interviewed by WUSA.

The first video is a short clip where Josh discusses a new stadium for the RedWolves 😊

He says they are considering 3 sites in 3 different jurisdictions.

One at an undisclosed Maryland location, one at an undisclosed Virginia location, and one that's reported to be at RFK in DC.

Put me down for the nostalgia of a return to RFK.

The WUSA9 full interview with Josh Harris is below.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The first video is a short clip where Josh discusses a new stadium for the RedWolves 😊

I understood and agreed with the break he was given during the high level FO and coaching search, but now we get to go back to asking the real important questions.

Wheres my new Jumbotron Josh? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

One at an undisclosed Maryland location, one at an undisclosed Virginia location, and one that's reported to be at RFK in DC.

I feel like moving back to DC will completely remove this jinx that's been on us for decades now. I'm a Virginia boy, but my beloved Washington Commanders belong in DC

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'm still friends with people I've known since elementary school,too and that is really cool. Josh is so likeable and owns two of my favorite teams and my second most hated team.

• Like 1