Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I don't think it's silly by Dallas at all. We would do the same thing if we had a coach we didn't want another team to poach from us. It's football. Teams will always look out for their best interest. DQ is well respected around the league so I have no doubt he and Whitt will find a competent DB coach.

I think that Jerrah is pizzed that we got Quinn to come here and is trying to be the way he is.  No proof, just a guess.  It's all good though.  It will work out in the wash one way or the other. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I've tried to find a connection to him and Kliff.  I couldn't and probably overlooked it.  He could be our QB coach which would be a steal.  :)  

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Sirianni was and is the problem in Philly.  Johnson's a bright mind and good dude.  He will be a HC one day.  In the not too distant future.  :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I've tried to find a connection to him and Kliff.  I couldn't and probably overlooked it.  He could be our QB coach which would be a steal.  :)  

Only connection is they both have experience with dual threat QBs in Murray and Hurts but they run totally different offenses.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Only connection is they both have experience with dual threat QBs in Murray and Hurts but they run totally different offenses.

Thanks, @ThatNFLChick :) Johnson will be a huge help to Kliff when he needed it and he will.  No doubt.  The thing I will not like is when they come a calling for Johnson as a HC candidate and Kliff is overlooked because Johnson will get the call and be hired!  :)  

Edited by RWJ

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

It’s weird. I would think of running air raid you would want experienced QB coach who runs that offense.

The read option stuff will translate, probably will be a bigger part of offense.

A notch for Daniels.

They are saying, Fowler he will be "pass-game coordinator" so that may leave the door open to a QB coach but he may get both titles.  We don't know yet.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Impressive story: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37929094/inside-jalen-hurts-20-year-connection-eagles-offensive-coordinator-brian-johnson

Jalen Hurts' 20-year story with Eagles OC Brian Johnson has new twist

PHILADELPHIA -- Brian Johnson kept his long-standing relationship with quarterback Jalen Hurts under wraps.

He had no prior history with newly minted Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni or then-offensive coordinator Shane Steichen before interviewing for the quarterbacks coaching job in January 2021. The first time the three met was when they walked into the NovaCare practice facility together that day.

They ended up talking ball for eight hours and not once did Johnson mention that he had known Hurts -- the Eagles' second-round pick in 2020 -- since he was in preschool; that Johnson was coached by Hurts' father, Averion, as a high school quarterback, and was close with the entire family; that he recruited Hurts to join him at Mississippi State, and later the University of Florida; and that he was one of the first to see in Jalen what others might have missed.

"I didn't want to really put that out there," Johnson said.

It wasn't until after Johnson got the job that he told them about his history with Hurts, who had no idea Johnson was even up for the gig.

"I remember I called him when I got the job," Johnson said, his smile widening, "and he was like, 'What?!'"

That was the start of the pair's rapid ascent as Hurts, under Johnson's tutelage, went from Carson Wentz's backup to franchise quarterback in two years flat. He inked a five-year, $255 million extension this offseason following an MVP-caliber 2022 campaign that culminated in a top-shelf performance against Patrick Mahomesand Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII.

Johnson, in turn, has become one of the hottest coaching names in the business. A host of teams requested to interview the 36-year-old for their vacant offensive coordinator positions this offseason before he was elevated to the same post in Philadelphia after Steichen left to coach the Indianapolis Colts.

"He's going to be a star one day. He's going to be a big-time head coach one day," Hurts said during the lead-up to the Super Bowl. "Hopefully we can keep him here as long as we possibly can, but nonetheless I'm proud of him and it's definitely just the beginning for the both of us."

Next up is a 2023 season rife with promise. Sirianni says he has seen another "jump" in Hurts' game, and as the primary playcaller, Johnson will be the voice in Hurts' ear before every snap, putting trust earned over the last two decades into action.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Those throwback looks do weird things when used in modern pics.

Oh the Commanders are hiring this firmer Eagles assistant?  And here's his photo.  Okay. Why don't  you have anything more recent than the mid 90s?! What's he been doing since then?

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

They are saying, Fowler he will be "pass-game coordinator" so that may leave the door open to a QB coach but he may get both titles.  We don't know yet.  

Yeah, it just seems strange. Coach who was a OC in 2023 and interviewed for a few HC openings is coming to a team who already has a freshly filled OC in place. Either he is taking a significant demotion or is gonna be a co-OC. ??

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Yeah, it just seems strange. Coach who was a OC in 2023 and interviewed for a few HC openings is coming to a team who already has a freshly filled OC in place. Either he is taking a significant demotion or is gonna be a co-OC. ??

We will find out soon.  :) He's gonna get paid but he could only be here for a year so...  I hope we do bring in some young fella to learn behind Johnson and Kliff.  

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Impressive story: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37929094/inside-jalen-hurts-20-year-connection-eagles-offensive-coordinator-brian-johnson

Jalen Hurts' 20-year story with Eagles OC Brian Johnson has new twist

PHILADELPHIA -- Brian Johnson kept his long-standing relationship with quarterback Jalen Hurts under wraps.

He had no prior history with newly minted Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni or then-offensive coordinator Shane Steichen before interviewing for the quarterbacks coaching job in January 2021. The first time the three met was when they walked into the NovaCare practice facility together that day.

They ended up talking ball for eight hours and not once did Johnson mention that he had known Hurts -- the Eagles' second-round pick in 2020 -- since he was in preschool; that Johnson was coached by Hurts' father, Averion, as a high school quarterback, and was close with the entire family; that he recruited Hurts to join him at Mississippi State, and later the University of Florida; and that he was one of the first to see in Jalen what others might have missed.

"I didn't want to really put that out there," Johnson said.

It wasn't until after Johnson got the job that he told them about his history with Hurts, who had no idea Johnson was even up for the gig.

"I remember I called him when I got the job," Johnson said, his smile widening, "and he was like, 'What?!'"

That was the start of the pair's rapid ascent as Hurts, under Johnson's tutelage, went from Carson Wentz's backup to franchise quarterback in two years flat. He inked a five-year, $255 million extension this offseason following an MVP-caliber 2022 campaign that culminated in a top-shelf performance against Patrick Mahomesand Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII.

Johnson, in turn, has become one of the hottest coaching names in the business. A host of teams requested to interview the 36-year-old for their vacant offensive coordinator positions this offseason before he was elevated to the same post in Philadelphia after Steichen left to coach the Indianapolis Colts.

"He's going to be a star one day. He's going to be a big-time head coach one day," Hurts said during the lead-up to the Super Bowl. "Hopefully we can keep him here as long as we possibly can, but nonetheless I'm proud of him and it's definitely just the beginning for the both of us."

Next up is a 2023 season rife with promise. Sirianni says he has seen another "jump" in Hurts' game, and as the primary playcaller, Johnson will be the voice in Hurts' ear before every snap, putting trust earned over the last two decades into action.

For those who don’t read the story, Johnson was also key to Dak’s development in college.  And it’s a credit to him that Dak came into the league so pro-ready. Pro-ready enough to take Romo’s job in Dak’s first preseason. 

That’s wild that he’ll potentially play a large role in the development of 3 current NFCE starting QBs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

QB coach I assume. He did a great job with Hurts in that role. Great hire IMO.

Really like this hire. I was really surprised when they fired him. Desai not so much, but the Eagles offense was really good last year.

• Like 2

The Eagles O went south the 2nd. half of the season mainly the passing game. Johnson was being targeted for not using the middle of the field over and over in the games I watched by the analyst. Teams new he was not using it, WR's were frustrated and nobody was getting open. That is mostly the reason for his stock drop I think and why he got fired. It was not only the D. I hope it is for QB only at this point.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Really like this hire. I was really surprised when they fired him. Desai not so much, but the Eagles offense was really good last year.

Really good the first half/ Really bad the 2nd. half is what my eyes seen.

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

The Eagles O went south the 2nd. half of the season mainly the passing game. Johnson was being targeted for not using the middle of the field over and over in the games I watched by the analyst. Teams new he was not using it, WR's were frustrated and nobody was getting open. That is mostly the reason for his stock drop I think and why he got fired. It was not only the D. I hope it is for QB only at this point.

Hurts also had a knee injury which I am sure affected things. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Hurts also had a knee injury which I am sure affected things. 

I think he just had no one to throw too from replays and it was strange the middle of the field was wide open. I am sure teams took advantage of his injury too. 

14 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Really good the first half/ Really bad the 2nd. half is what my eyes seen.

Counterpoint (and I believe it from what I know of Sirianni):

There is a push to lay all the blame for the Eagles’ offense at the feet of Brian Johnson. The logic is that this offense ran fine with Shane Steichen, so the new Offensive Coordinator must be the problem. But is he? Or is the scheme he is being asked to call plays in the problem? Can he be held accountable for bad play-calling if the playbook is flawed to begin with?

Nick Sirianni has said it himself. This is his offense. He designs the plays, he makes the gameplan. Brian Johnson just calls the plays. Eagles fans may hope the solution is as simple as changing Coordinators. That is far easier to do than changing the head coach. But Sirianni is at the core of the issues when it comes to the Eagles’ late-season struggles on offense. The problems with the blitz, the lack of throws over the middle of the field, the predictable plays. That is all Nick Sirianni. Even if fans want to pin it on Johnson.

Dont take my word for it though. On Thursday, Tim McManus joined the show for the full 3 PM hour. They talked to him about his recent article about the rift between Jalen Hurts, Brian Johnson, And Nick Sirianni. And while he was on, he talked about how little Brian Johnson had to do with the direction of this offense.

“All Lurie has to do is pick up the phone and call people who know Brian Johnson. The response from those people will be that is not Brian Johnson’s offense. You can see the confliction play out on the field because you can tell it is not what he would be calling in that situation. That is not Brian Johnson’s offense.”

https://975thefanatic.com/2024/01/19/firing-brian-johnson-wont-fix-the-eagles-offense/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

So, we're improving the coaching staff all across the board, replacing the immature Johnson by the reliable one, and in the same time weakening the strongest division rivals. 🤙

One left to grab though ;)

Dwayne-Johnson-Quote-1.jpg

Edited by FrFan
  • Thumb up 1