Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, HeHateMe75 said:

Considering that he's under contract through 2025 and there are franchise tags that could be applied afterwards, I'd say he doesn't have much say in the matter.  Unless he holds out.  

He’s openly talked about leaving and not being part of the rebuild. And if we’d get a 2nd+ for him, I’d be happy to oblige. But I wonder if this hire changes his stance. The DT market exploded after he signed, so him demanded a new contract could be in play.

Just now, Ball Security said:

He’s openly talked about leaving and not being part of the rebuild. And if we’d get a 2nd+ for him, I’d be happy to oblige. But I wonder if this hire changes his stance. The DT market exploded after he signed, so him demanded a new contract could be in play.

That's true.  

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yep I could see a slight re-up if he sticks around. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Wouldn’t this logic apply to the GM search? 

No bc GMs have longer rope and also are the ones in charge of fixing the facilities, selecting the new QB, etc. Coaches don't have that control and have to live with whatever decisions the GM makes, even though it's the HC's ass if the decisions are poor.

That's why successful coaches want control (e.g., Vrabel, Belichick) or more ready-made situations with larger economic guarantees (Macdonald & Seattle as an example, or Canales getting a six-year deal in CAR despite only one year as a Coordinator)

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2

So the consensus take on Quinn as an x's and o's guy seems to be  that he is good, but struggles against the Shannahan tree.

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

So the consensus take on Quinn as an x's and o's guy seems to be  that he is good, but struggles against the Shannahan tree.

Ideally perhaps he hires an OC from that tree to learn how to play that offense.

• Like 1

Just now, philibusters said:

Yes! 

And that's why it would seem ideal to bring in one of San Frans offensive coaches as your OC. Learn your own weaknesses and get that new QB coached up proper! 

Seeing Klint Kubiak thrown around in here and other articles/tweets. Here’s a write up from a saints blog for what it’s worth:

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/31/klint-kubiak-49ers-super-bowl-saints-dennis-allen-sean-payton-mickey-loomis-resume/

But here’s the catch. Hiring Kubiak (if that’s the direction the Saints are leaning) may not be a slam dunk. Two different teams have let him call plays and neither of they both chose to move on from him. He was jettisoned with the rest of the Vikings staff after Mike Zimmer was fired in Minnesota. When Hackett was dismissed in Denver, interim head coach Jerry Rosburg reassigned play calling duties from Kubiak and gave them to offensive coordinator Justin Outten. All three of them were let go once Sean Payton entered the building. If someone were being uncharitable, they’d suggest Kubiak would not have gotten this far if his father wasn’t an influential former head coach.

When he was calling plays for the Vikings in 2021, Kubiak’s offense ranked in the middle of the back in most areas: 14th in points scored, 12th in yards gained, 11th in passing yards and 9th in touchdown passes with the 17th-most rushing yards. Minnesota’s 25 points per game was a respectable scoring output. In 2022, though, the Broncos averaged 14.5 points per game before giving Kubiak the headset; he managed 16.8 points per game before they switched again. Denver scored 24 and 31 points in their final two games with Outten calling plays instead.

Doesn’t really make me feel one way or the other, just thought I’d share.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bifflog said:

All due respect, nobody wants this.  They'll have to pull this off in the pitch-black with no support.

No, what seems like a significant chunk of the fanbase doesn't want this. It isn't what I wanted. As fans, we have every right to feel that way after 30 plus years of mediocrity. A sudden end to that and return to success is something we've all been hoping/dreaming/praying for. But it's just not that easy to get it right and right first time. If it was, there wouldn't be perennial losers.

The only way this goes "pitch-black with no support" is if Quinn assembles sub-par team underneath him and Peters fails to recreate the success he's had with personnel in the past. None of that has started to take shape yet and we can expect missteps along the way.

Maybe they've already taken the first of those and already started off on the wrong track. But we don't know that any of the other candidates would have had better success here. We can follow their fortunes and envy those who are successful, but there's no guarantee they would have had the same success here. Each hire has walked into a different set of circumstances and their success will as much be determined by the people who surround them as the individual. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Which is why 4D-chess-playing GMAP will bring in Klint Kubiak to run that offense against Quinn's D in practice every day. Ya hear that, Blizzard? EVERY DAY. 😈

Edited by Dah-Dee

38 minutes ago, DCF said:

I said beating down the door. I don't recall him being the favorite or top candidate any of these last years. The excitement over him when he's talked about around the league, doesn't match the demand for him when the actual offseason starts. Period.

Oh ok well thats ****ing stupid 

2 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Seeing Klint Kubiak thrown around in here and other articles/tweets. Here’s a write up from a saints blog for what it’s worth:

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/31/klint-kubiak-49ers-super-bowl-saints-dennis-allen-sean-payton-mickey-loomis-resume/

Doesn’t really make me feel one way or the other, just thought I’d share.

Good share. When Zimmer got fired and KOC took over, it’s natural that Kubiak wouldn’t stay on. Denver was a mess. Justin Outten though does have a connection to Quinn from Atlanta. I could see both those guys coming here.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, srtman04 said:

We've tried to put a positive spin on every single hire over the past 20 years....we are doing the same thing we've always done....what is exactly going to change with this hire?   A re-tread is a re-tread.  He has an established history as a lackluster head coach, and never won the big game.   Our only hope is that he gets the coordinators right,  then I'll feel better.  But I'm skeptical at the minimum at this point.  

WE are doing nothing.  The new GM along with the new ownership is in-change are, and they are not doing the "same thing".  They had a very good plan and a part of it didn't work.  They wanted the young sexy -- he wants to stay in Detroit -- they lost some time because of that so they went with probably their third option.  Getting a never-been-a-head-coach-guy doesn't always work out, and I'd venture to say it doesn't more times than it does. 

Yes, hopefully Dan will hire good coordinators.  He's a well liked and respected coach in the league so I feel good about that happening.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True but as to Ron its about being a nice guy, classy guy.  It's usually not about being a great X's and O's dude.  Heck even in Carolina's heyday for their defense it was about their coordonators including McDermott not so much Ron.  Quinn isn't hailed as a nice guy alone -- but for his motivational skills-X's and O's.

Again one major diference with Ron is Quinn has killed it as a coordinator in the modern NFL.  It's cool that Ron killed it as D coordinator in 2008 in SD.  But times have changed.

Logan Paulsen talked about this defensive scheme when he was an employee of Ron.  So when some say Logan is biased.  Yeah you figured he'd be biased for his current boss not his ex-boss.  And during the season he talked about how "meh" the scheme was as to movement on the D line, marrying pressure with coverage among other things.  It didn't come off like he thought it got miles better when Ron took over.  As Rex Ryan joked when Ron took over the defense, the "improvement" was they were giving up 35 points a game.  

Logan talked about model schemes as for stunts and moving guys around on the d line and cited Dallas.  Said he didn't think Parsons would be as big if he were playing here because Quinn knew how to create mismatches and this defensive staff not so much.  He talked about all the turnovers created by Dallas which he cited to in part because of how coordinated their scheme was to their pressure packages -- unlike this team.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/new-commanders-coach-dan-quinn-brings-leadership-washington-has-needed-for-years

He's undoubtedly a defensive whiz. He was the defensive coordinator in Seattle during their Legion of Boom years, when they ranked No. 1 in the NFL and reached the Super Bowl (winning one) in each of his two seasons (2013-14). When he was hired by Mike McCarthy to coach the Cowboys defense in 2021, that unit quickly went from 28th in total yardage to seventh, and it's ranked fifth in each of the last two years.

But it's not just his schemes that got his players' attention. They always played like they were willing to run through a wall for Quinn.

it was probably more of a knee jerk reaction on my end to the hiring.. but it just sounds SO MUCH like the the rhetoric around the Ron hire 4y ago. 

'great guy and leader of men"

'well respected by players, agents and coaches' 

'great D mind'   

'great culture guy'

etc.

i dont care about any of that! That's the sh!t they print to sell stories to ignorant fans.

1. If he is truly a hands-on, innovative DC... i expect him to run the D or at least be heavily involved. he should be able to find the right mix of personnel and scheme to help our D perform on an at least avg level and get the most out of the garbage draft players Rivera left us with

2. its now imperative they find a hot shot innovative OC to pair with Quinn, not some old retread hired through nepotism.

3. Have peters work the draft and FA to find some gems

The next few days will be very interesting. 

3 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

… hires Dan Quinn 🤯

Maybe part of that journey is just simply becoming respectable again with a real roster foundation and modern NFL facilities, before you can realistically attract sexy coveted talent. That window is probably 4-5 years away, and hopefully by then our QB is maturing into a franchise guy who needs his McVay/McDaniel to ascend higher. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Schefter:

-Commanders did not want a first time GM and HC. Wanted experience at the HC position.

I know I am in the minority. But I am very happy with the Quinn hire. I am completely sick and tired of watching this defense, a defense with first rounders all over it, gut gutted every week by rookie QB's. This defense has put more young QB's and players on the map than any other the past decade. That is going end with Quinn. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Good share. When Zimmer got fired and KOC took over, it’s natural that Kubiak wouldn’t stay on. Denver was a mess. Justin Outten though does have a connection to Quinn from Atlanta. I could see both those guys coming here.

I agree, you can’t really hold kubiaks previous stints against him. He didn’t have a full offseason to prepare as the play caller. I look at it as a good thing. He got some practice at calling plays and now hes had time to learn under Kyle in San Fran. I’d definitely prefer him over outten 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Oh ok well thats ****ing stupid 

You know what? You're right. I'm pissed, I hate the move. Trying to be optimistic, but think it sucks and don't think any team has really been super interested in Quinn as a head coach. You proved me wrong by showing he turned down a couple interviews, and wanted to stay in Dallas last year. I still don't think he was ever the apple of anyone's eye. I still think no team wanted to truly hire him this year besides us, and only after our other guys turned us down. Never the less, apologies for moving the goalposts, you're right he did have interest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

Maybe they've already taken the first of those and already started off on the wrong track. But we don't know that any of the other candidates would have had better success here. We can follow their fortunes and envy those who are successful, but there's no guarantee they would have had the same success here. Each hire has walked into a different set of circumstances and their success will as much be determined by the people who surround them as the individual. 

Great points, and a Sonic Youth inspired screen name! You're all right in my book! 

• Like 1