Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes.  This.

You guys don't know the power of a counter offer.  Well, maybe some of you do.

I'd bet that this is exactly what happened.  Make no mistake, the Lions didn't want to be out there searching for Johnson's replacement.  Do any of you think they'd want to be trying to fill a hole on their coaching staff?  No, they gave Johnson a raise.

And thats good on them. But I would never turn down an opportunity to lead a team vs playing second fiddle.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes.  This.

You guys don't know the power of a counter offer.  Well, maybe some of you do.

I'd bet that this is exactly what happened.  Make no mistake, the Lions didn't want to be out there searching for Johnson's replacement.  Do any of you think they'd want to be trying to fill a hole on their coaching staff?  No, they gave Johnson a raise.

Its also what they did last year to get him to stay.

15 minutes ago, foreverskins said:

What boxes does Quinn check for people advocating for him? Atlanta sharply went downhill as soon as Kyle Shanahan left for SF andnd his defenses have gotten lit up when it counts the most while at Dallas. Why the F would you think he is the guy to help rebuild the franchise post Dan Snyder? None of the remaining candidates scream A+ hire. Mcdonald shine wore off a little bit, Quinn is a bad retread, Slowick might not be ready, and Aaron Glenn is an unimpressive DC as well.

Just for clarity, when did MacDonald’s shine wear off?  Surely not due to any poor performance by his defense.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, UK Skins said:

To $15 million????!!!!

No, but enough to make him stay.  He's already comfortable where he is, he just got more comfortable.  

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Its also what they did last year to get him to stay.

Well, then they knew it'd work.  

1 minute ago, CommandB11 said:

And thats good on them. But I would never turn down an opportunity to lead a team vs playing second fiddle.

That's good for you, then.  

• Like 1

Just now, RVAskins said:

I guess Ben Johnson just isn't a leader of men.

Why would you think this? Because he turned the Commanders down to stay where he just coached in a NFC title game?

• Like 1

Yeah I said something similar this morning.

I get the profile analogy to Rivera. But reading about Quinn as a dude he's night and day different from Rivera.

Is he the candidate I want?  Nope.  But i also don't think its a disaster hire.  None of these guys have ever felt like a disaster to me even though I had my preferences.

I would be jazzed if its McDonald.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

I guess Ben Johnson just isn't a leader of men.

I saw someone post that he wasn't calling play too.  I agree with what you're saying at this time but I find it hard to believe that he wasn't calling plays and wanted $15 mill...  

20 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Sort of a gut punch to end the season for him. Could be he simply wants to run it back with Detroit and try to get to the SB. And maybe Detroit offered more $$. 

Sounds right. He probably wants to finish what he started there. He is young enough that 1 more year logged in Detroit isn't going to derail is career. Will maybe more money was in play but I would guess not... its not about money at this point.  Plus, we can't ignore coming here he would lose a friendly home field filled with home team fans. We pat ourselves on the back talking about what a great destination it is... maybe its not. Our stadium sucks on top of it all. Its probably good for an elite sought after coach to come here once the smoke fully settles.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CommandB11 said:

Some people are really good in a secondary role.

Agree… but turning down the Commanders doesn’t mean that’s where Ben Johnson will stay. The guy is 37.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Johnson was by-far my favored pick.  Gotta wonder why he's given up a HC position and millions of dollars 2 years in a row.  Does not seem rationale.  

I'm not sure what happened last year, but I could totally understand why someone wouldn't want to take on us or Seattle.

With us: It's a build from scratch with a new owner, and you have no idea if the new owner will be reasonable with expectations, additionally, if we don't hit the QB, odds are he gets canned, so it's at best a 45/55 to 50/50.

With Seattle: They've got weapons on offense and an adequate defense, but they definitely are the dreaded equivlanet of an NBA old school 8 seed. Too good to ever get a franchise transforming draft pick, too bad to ever matter. The Seattle build will only work if they hit a grand slam on a QB picked in the middle of the rounds this year or next (and I imagine they aren't resigning DK Metcalf, which will slow things a bit), if they don't, that team is set to be 7-10 to 9-8 for years until they finally fall apart.

So a 45-50% chance of getting a build done or purgatory? The only job that would've been ideal would be San Diego. Franchise QB in place, some legit elite talent on both sides of the ball, a top 5 draft pick, so you can land an elite OL, TE, or WR immediately or trade down. The Chargers job was the job to get, even if it will suck forever to be a step child in LA. 

So I can get it. None of these jobs were great jobs. The Bills job would have been interesting, same with Dallas, but they kept their coaches. We're a risky one, same with Seattle. Atlanta is more of a weird one, they've got pieces but no QB. 

I get it this year. I can't remember what he said no to last year. 

i think it's fair for ben johnson to change his mind. situations change. maybe it would've been different if they won the super bowl? i don't fault him for not wanting to leave detroit yet. however...having already gotten this far in the interview process and not telling them yesterday, he should've done the polite/professional thing and gone through with the interview then let them know afterwards he wasn't accepting their offer. this wouldn't be for our sake or seattle's sake, this would be for his own sake so he doesn't come across the wrong way to other organizations in the future. dumb move imo.