Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think a lot of this is due to the fact that the offensive coaching talent around the league has been somewhat picked clean the last few years. The trend for a while now has been to hire the hot young offensive coach (mostly from the Shanny/McVay tree). That’s eventually going to reduce the overall talent pool on that side of the ball, at least for a while. 

Yes this, and it has left a number of defensive coaches as the top prospects. Quinn and Glenn and experience and leadership qualities on their side. MacDonald and Weaver are more up and comers with good leadership qualities and come from a tree that peeks interests Peters. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes this, and it has left a number of defensive coaches as the top prospects. Quinn and Glenn and experience and leadership qualities on their side. MacDonald and Weaver are more up and comers with good leadership qualities and come from a tree that peeks interests Peters. 

I don’t buy it.

There are quite a few offensive minded guys available. There is one we aren’t linked to at all that would be a good get (unless he lacks some sort of leadership quality, but I don’t know him) in Bobby Slowik. 

I don’t agree with the logic proposed by someone else earlier in the thread that if we hire an offensive HC then our DC could get poached so what’s the difference?

Offenses are MUCH harder to install. Offensive language is so all over the place. That doesn’t mean that defenses are plug and play - they aren’t. But offenses are so difficult. Especially with play call verbiage and conceptual verbiage. They take a lot of time and studying to learn the words. Defenses are much more universal in concept. Yes, verbiage varies, but it’s not as verbose. 

I am not a big fan of getting a defensive guy and quite frankly any defensive guy would feel extremely lackluster out of the gate. That doesn’t doom them, of course. But it would feel… not great. 

D guys work for some teams. 100%. I’m not sure this is one. If you hire a D guy he better be able to relate to that quarterback 100% and help nurture him. Ryans and Stroud are a great fit together. If we go D it has to be that situation. 

And I am still really, really out on Quinn. He’s a good coach. But I don’t think he translates on this franchise all that well and, well, he’s a Cowboy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I wonder if Pete Carroll’s “advisor role” is a sticking point for either candidates, especially how it was forced upon him. Is he still active in the organization? Is he going to be in the facility? What was Schneider’s role in that, if any? These are some of the questions I’d be asking if I were MacDonald or Johnson. No one outside of the Seahawks brass saw that firing coming and that surprise can manifest uncertainty that could work against Seattle.

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t buy it.

There are quite a few offensive minded guys available. There is one we aren’t linked to at all that would be a good get (unless he lacks some sort of leadership quality, but I don’t know him) in Bobby Slowik. 

I don’t agree with the logic proposed by someone else earlier in the thread that if we hire an offensive HC then our DC could get poached so what’s the difference?

Offenses are MUCH harder to install. Offensive language is so all over the place. That doesn’t mean that defenses are plug and play - they aren’t. But offenses are so difficult. Especially with play call verbiage and conceptual verbiage. They take a lot of time and studying to learn the words. Defenses are much more universal in concept. Yes, verbiage varies, but it’s not as verbose. 

I am not a big fan of getting a defensive guy and quite frankly any defensive guy would feel extremely lackluster out of the gate. That doesn’t doom them, of course. But it would feel… not great. 

D guys work for some teams. 100%. I’m not sure this is one. If you hire a D guy he better be able to relate to that quarterback 100% and help nurture him. Ryans and Stroud are a great fit together. If we go D it has to be that situation. 

And I am still really, really out on Quinn. He’s a good coach. But I don’t think he translates on this franchise all that well and, well, he’s a Cowboy.

I'd rather have offense over defense too.  But the point has some limits for me.  I used to have Slowik as #2 but as time marches on I am putting him further down that list.

Digesting the narratives it strongly feels like its Ben Johnson or Quinn or McDonald.  I don't get the vibe at all that Slowik right now is in serious contention.  Remember Peters should have a very good window into Slowik since they were both in SF. 

I threw Slowik out on this thread hard on the thread months back,  But then as I digested him, he didn't come off as a leader of men type based on some who covered him.  The rap is super nice guy but also quiet dude (compared to the typical coach) and not charismatic.  

Then you add that Slowik interviewed with the Titans and Panthers and they hired other offensive coordinators, instead to be their HC.  With the Bengals mentioned Callahan killed the interview and the Panthers talking about how dynamic and charismatic Canales is.

Back to this regime they have made it clear they don't seem to be believe its about play calling and play calling alone.  Play calling seems their 2nd concern not their top concern.  They want a culture setter, leader.  Many head coaches ultimately don't even call plays. 

I am a Ben Johnson guy but as I've mentioned my one concern about him is their concern about leadership style.  I didn't get the same vibe as red flags on that count that I did about Slowik.  But he also didn't come off as a dude off the charts on that count.  That's fine with me.  But lol it might not be fine with Peters.  Will see.  I listened to Keim's podcast today and his point was the one concern he heard about Johnson is can he command a room?  And he heard its not that they don't think he can but its a question mark.

I don't want Quinn.  But when I hear Keim say asking around the league its Quinn that gets the most props among their candidates.  Morris got the 2nd most and he's now a HC.  And Logan Paulsen basically saying Quinn is his favorite head coach in his various stints -- set a culture and environment when people loved to come to work and practice hard, etc.  And that his defensive scheme is advanced and makes our schemes look really bad in comparison, etc.  Whether I like it or not, I gather he is a serious candidate with this regime.

McDonald profile wise feels a bit like Johnson but on the defensive side.  A young mastermind type.  But leadership-charisma feels medium.  That's fine with me.  It might be fine with them but who knows?

I suspect they will end up weighing the idea that Quinn likely is the best interview in this group versus the playcalling of Johnson and medium level leadership qualities.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t buy it.

No argument about an offensive minded HC making the most sense for many reasons, yours included with the difficulty in installing a new scheme. There are a number quality defensive coaches available and they are the ones they are bringing in. I am a bit surprised they have only brought in one from the other side of the ball. It's like the have all there eggs in the BJ basket from the offensive side.

Two things about their interviewing beside 4 d to 1 o options. 

There must be something they have seen or heard that turned them off to Slowik.

Why Weaver? We don't know a ton about him other than his resume and it said he is a good communicator. 

With their options and more on the defensive side, it would be much easier for an offensive HC to bring in a good DC than visa versa 

The dream outcome for me is to do a McVay-Phillips scenario where we hire both Ben Johnson and Dan Quinn.  Don't know if Quinn would accept an associate HC job since he's not as old as Phillips was and still has a future as a head coach in the NFL, but it'd be really helpful for a young coach like Johnson to have that kind of support for the first couple years of his tenure.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I assume Quinn is a strong interview because he’s done it more than any of these guys.  He’s also old, but not a dinosaur.  He’s proven that he can be a head coach in this league.

That said, easily the most lackluster meh hire of everyone left. 

I've been run over on both sides of this point.  One person here who wants Quinn and those who don't want Quinn.  All I am doing is giving the information I keep hearing.  And I don't like to screen and edit information based on whether it meets my predispositions, I just share what I hear.  And I've been and still am one of the biggest cheerleaders here for Ben Johnson.  And I do not want Quinn.

But the reason why I get the vibe that Quinn will be a good interview and entice them (although I still think they hire Johnson and I don't rule out McDonald)

A.  He's likely easily more charismatc than Johnson and McDonald.    And likely charms the interviewees more so than the others.  I run my own business, I've hired people.  Those that come off more dynamic in interviews do have an advantage

B.   Players love him

C.  Considered one of the better defensive coordinators

D.  Likely communicates a better vision of how he sees the whole team operate.  Both because he's done it before and because according to Logan Paulsen he's excellent at communicating his vision

E.  He seems to have put in a lot of thought of how he would do his 2nd stint different.  Logan talked about this.

F.  Probably the most connected coach in this group as to building a staff.

G.  Knows the NFC East well including of course Dallas.

H.  As Keim said if you asked around the league, among these candidates, Quinn is the one who gets the most props. 

And again everyone please don't kill the messenger. :ols:   I've posted a zillion times forever that Ben Johnson is my guy.  I haven't wavered on it even once.    I don't want Quinn.  But I can't listen to the narratives and just assume its all BS and one big joke.  He's a serious candidate whether I like it or not.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Skinsinparadise I get it for sure, never mistaked you for a Quinn guy.  🤣

I just think he has an easier road ahead of him in convincing owners and GM’s that he’s the guy because of all the experience he has, both coaching and interviewing.  He can speak from experience the way others can’t and while he’s older, he’s not in his late 60’s, 70’s like Pete and Bill.

I don’t even dislike Quinn, just when we have the ability to start from scratch like this I’d much prefer we do it with an up and coming offensive mind.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been run over on both sides of this point.  One person here who wants Quinn and those who don't want Quinn.  All I am doing is giving the information I keep hearing.  And I don't like to screen and edit information based on whether it meets my predispositions, I just share what I hear.  And I've been and still am one of the biggest cheerleaders here for Ben Johnson.  And I do not want Quinn.

But the reason why I get the vibe that Quinn will be a good interview and entice them (although I still think they hire Johnson and I don't rule out McDonald)

A.  He's likely easily more charismatc than Johnson and McDonald.    And likely charms the interviewees more so than the others.  I run my own business, I've hired people.  Those that come off more dynamic in interviews do have an advantage

B.   Players love him

C.  Considered one of the better defensive coordinators

D.  Likely communicates a better vision of how he sees the whole team operate.  Both because he's done it before and because according to Logan Paulsen he's excellent at communicating his vision

E.  He seems to have put in a lot of thought of how he would do his 2nd stint different.  Logan talked about this.

F.  Probably the most connected coach in this group as to building a staff.

G.  Knows the NFC East well including of course Dallas.

H.  As Keim said if you asked around the league, among these candidates, Quinn is the one who gets the most props. 

And again everyone please don't kill the messenger. :ols:   I've posted a zillion times forever that Ben Johnson is my guy.  I haven't wavered on it even once.    I don't want Quinn.  But I can't listen to the narratives and just assume its all BS and one big joke.  He's a serious candidate whether I like it or not.   

Im in the same boat on Dan Quinn, though my thoughts on him being HC have warmed somewhat, though he is easily 3rd on the list for me. With Quinn's history with Seattle I wonder if he ultimately lands there?

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The dream outcome for me is to do a McVay-Phillips scenario where we hire both Ben Johnson and Dan Quinn.  Don't know if Quinn would accept an associate HC job since he's not as old as Phillips was and still has a future as a head coach in the NFL, but it'd be really helpful for a young coach like Johnson to have that kind of support for the first couple years of his tenure.

This is just about the only scenario where I'd be good with Quinn. But even then... I don't like it much.

@KDawg

I have reservations on your point of picking an offensive guy because offenses are harder to install.

We've all seen coaches come in here with different degrees of complexity in their offense and at some point mermers of the need to tone down what they have and what works best with what they have.

I'm not interested in Encyclopedia Brown level offense if we know we're getting a rookie QB.  Systems do wonders when in place for a long time, but man, this team needs a culture badly, more so then a system right now.  Our GMs comments strike me as prioritizing communication and alignment in the organization, I feel like I've overthought this for years, he's trying to bring it back to basics first it seems.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Meaning you don't think he's a good defensive coordinator?

I think he's an okay defensive coordinator. Better than what we've had.

His defenses have a bad tendency to fall apart late in the year in spectacular ways, though. And that is big time alarming to me.

And, quite frankly, he's a Cowboy. 

At the end of the day, I prefer to think about coordinators after we hire the HC, so the only context I'm looking at him now is through the lens of associate HC. From that perspective I'm a touch warmer on him as he can help Johnson with the day to day things that a new HC could use an assist on. He's a decent enough DC to warrant that position.

But I would be fairly indifferent to that move.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsinparadise I get it for sure, never mistaked you for a Quinn guy.  🤣

I just think he has an easier road ahead of him in convincing owners and GM’s that he’s the guy because of all the experience he has, both coaching and interviewing.  He can speak from experience the way others can’t and while he’s older, he’s not in his late 60’s, 70’s like Pete and Bill.

I don’t even dislike Quinn, just when we have the ability to start from scratch like this I’d much prefer we do it with an up and coming offensive mind.

I get the vibe that he's very dynamic one on one.

While I do agree with the Ron Rivera parallels some have made in that their profiies are similar.

But I get the vibe they are very different cats personality wise.  Rivera being more of the the paternal PG type.  While Quinn is more of PG-13, fiery leader, charismatic type -- like a nicer Bill Parcells.

My point is my concern in an interview that Quinn sort of takes over the room via his personality.   While I don't get the vibe that Johnson is bad on that front, I get the vibe that he's not the most dynamic guy -- but again not bad either but where he's a B level on that front. 

So am guessing they will have to weight that.  So for me my fear isn't him convincing the FO via what he says but that is part of it -- my main fear is he just blows the guys out of the water on the charisma-energy front because that suppsoedly is his wheel house.  When I listen to Logan Paulsen for example talk about Quinn, you'd think the dude is Tom Cruise :ols:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

4 out of 5 finalists are defensive guys; so there’s something with coaches on that side of the ball, that’s driving our interest. The leadership factor?

Well, if we go with a defensive guy; they better have a good oc and person to be next oc when our oc gets poached.

Just don’t pick the retread Quinn. He wasn’t that good in Atlanta.

What constitutes a "finalist"? The interviews this week are from Baltimore and Detroit (plus Quinn). These were interviews that literally could not have occurred last week. But the team did do a number of second interviews already. Not sure Weaver or Glenn is any higher/lower than say Slowik.

Edited by Jericho

In this mic'd up, Johnson seems nice but kind of gives off Jim Zorn corny energy. Maybe not as bad as Zorn but he has a  'gee golly, awww shucks' kind of demeanor which might be part of the holdup. He doesn't really seem like a guy who commands a room which might be part of the hold up 

Macdonald's mic'd up made me feel better about him, his personality came off very Alpha, Johnson is a bit like Kirk Cousins

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Does anyone else think Seattle meeting with Macdonald is just a smokescreen? I mean they never had a first meeting with him and they had ample opportunity. They DID have two interviews with Quinn and Johnson.  Now we're supposed to buy he's a top candidate for them? 

If Baltimore won, they would not have been able to talk with him at all, but we would have. It feels like they are using him as leverage for some other candidate 

I said the same thing earlier in this thread. At a minimum it's very illogical by Seattle. Unless they absolutely hate pretty much everyone else they interviewed.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think he's an okay defensive coordinator. Better than what we've had.

His defenses have a bad tendency to fall apart late in the year in spectacular ways, though. And that is big time alarming to me.

And, quite frankly, he's a Cowboy. 

At the end of the day, I prefer to think about coordinators after we hire the HC, so the only context I'm looking at him now is through the lens of associate HC. From that perspective I'm a touch warmer on him as he can help Johnson with the day to day things that a new HC could use an assist on. He's a decent enough DC to warrant that position.

But I would be fairly indifferent to that move.

I haven't studied his scheme. 

I do know he has a big rep predating his Dallas years as a defensive coordinator.  And they moved from being a meh defense to a good defense after he got there.

Logan Paulsen when dissecting this defense during the season kept ironically mentioning how Dallas is so sound as to how they marry coverages to pressure which is something according to him this defense doesn't do.  And he'd go their pressure scheme is so inventive that for example if Parsons played here he doesn't think he'd have similar success because Dallas moves him like a chess piece to gain mismatches and this team doesn't play that game. 

I know one of the things I've read is apparently he will stay hands on with the defense in his next stint because he was criticized (ala Rivera) for delegating that when he was with Atlanta.

So yeah if it was Quinn purely as a defensive coordinator, I'd be on board.

But alas, its HC, so am out on that.  But will see.

• Like 1