Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, MartinC said:

My thought is they are absolutely doing due diligence on other candidates, because until they have a deal with Johnson they need other options.

Now the Lions and Ravens are out we should find out by mid week were this is going. 

Respectfully, I disagree.  I think they truly are giving MacDonald just as much a shot as they are Johnson and if not shame on them!  That's what they should do and I have been fair in my assessment as I believe in saying Johnson is the best OC available for HC and MacDonald is the best DC available for HC.  You are pulling for Johnson and me, MacDonald.  

We will know by Tuesday night/Wednesday who it will be.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Perennial winning culture - recent SB and playoff appearances. 

Also, a way more talented roster than Washington.

What does any of that mean for 2024? We have a new owner, a new GM, and will reahaul the front office. Things can change dramatically over the course of  a year or so. New England had a winning culture and a recent dynasty, and now they’re more likely to return to the cellar than repeat their success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  I think they truly are giving MacDonald just as much a shot as they are Johnson and if not shame on them! 

Agreed. Since they're looking for leadership more than anything else, I don't think there's any way they could assess that without in-person conversations. The people involved seem like they'd keep open minds.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Chase Young is just different....extremely talented but just hasn't found that incredible effort he had his rookie year.  Really strange because he had MAXIMUM effort as a rookie then it just appears he just go the big head and just doesn't play team ball.

His talent will get him another contract, but he's certainly missing that spark that made him special.

I don't know if it his knee or what, but he definitely has no interest in mixing it up.  Bending over to get in his stance seems to be a chore.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get another contract either. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Is anyone concerned about the game Ben Johnson called? I know conventional wisdom has him as the top HC candidate out there but I can't shake an uneasy feeling about him not keeping his foot on the gas in the second half vs. the 49ers.

The HC passed on multiple FG and they scores 31 points. Enougn said.

It's Ben Johnson, it always was Ben Johnson, and now it will be officially announced this week.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Agreed. Since they're looking for leadership more than anything else, I don't think there's any way they could assess that without in-person conversations. The people involved seem like they'd keep open minds.

Peter’s knows a guy

2 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I don't know if it his knee or what, but he definitely has no interest in mixing it up.  Bending over to get in his stance seems to be a chore.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get another contract either. 

He's going to be another one of those 1 year contract guys. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  I think they truly are giving MacDonald just as much a shot as they are Johnson and if not shame on them!  That's what they should do and I have been fair in my assessment as I believe in saying Johnson is the best OC available for HC and MacDonald is the best DC available for HC.  You are pulling for Johnson and me, MacDonald.  

I’m not pulling for anyone specifically. Just trusting the new GM to make the right decision.

I won’t mind at all if it’s MacDonald, though I guess I would prefer an offensive minded HC.

• Like 6

The real question is, who is the first big national media person to have the balls to just say that the 49ers gambled and they lost, Chase Young is not a good player. He’s a shell of himself. Who will admit it? Probably not until San Francisco either lets him hit FA or signs him to a cheap 1-year deal full of incentives. Maybe then it will be talked about rationally. Because right now, national people are still calling him elite, or a special talent. Olsen tonight called him a premier player in the league. These people are more informed than given credit for—so who is the first to just say the truth and stop pretending based on name recognition value. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

The real question is, who is the first big national media person to have the balls to just say that the 49ers gambled and they lost, Chase Young is not a good player. He’s a shell of himself. Who will admit it? Probably not until San Francisco either lets him hit FA or signs him to a cheap 1-year deal full of incentives. Maybe then it will be talked about rationally. Because right now, national people are still calling him elite, or a special talent. Olsen tonight called him a premier player in the league. These people are more informed than given credit for—so who is the first to just say the truth and stop pretending based on name recognition value. 

That Olsen line almost sounded like it was planted.  Like he was going to say Chase was a premier pass rusher no matter what at some point.  

He’s got enough football smarts to know what he’s saying is false.  So why say it.  Why say anything at all? 

Something fishy going on.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He's going to be another one of those 1 year contract guys. 

It’s the DE position. Stop drafting big or paying for these guys

its the new RB

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That Olsen line almost sounded like it was planted.  Like he was going to say Chase was a premier pass rusher no matter what at some point.  

He’s got enough football smarts to know what he’s saying is false.  So why say it.  Why say anything at all? 

Something fishy going on.  

Ehh, the funny part about it was he wasn’t even saying it to highlight Chase…he was actually using it to juice up the compliment towards the guy who was beating Chase during the replay when he said it. So I don’t think it was really purposeful like that. He just misidentified a washed player for a good one while hyping the OL who had just taken him to the woodshed. More of a narrative technique to paint the stakes as being high and impressive than a calculated attempt to make Chase sound good. 

Edited by Conn

Yeah I feel like there are certain bulletin board generic things that are fed to the play by play guys going into the game, like let's say a specific player who hasn't been mentioned the entire game makes a good or bad play and the commentators need to say something about them, they probably have a checklist sheet.  That and, a lot of players are talked about based on outdated information.  For any commentator to refer to Chase Young as a premier Dlineman in the NFL currently, hasn't been paying attention to his play this season.  Hell, even 49ers fans around here have admitted for the last month or so they got fleeced. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I was fine with the first one but down 3 this late you gotta kick and extend the game

The first one was also bad. That's the one that flipped the momentum to the 49ers. 

1 hour ago, klwilkins1977 said:

I hope Shanny sends Campbell a fruit basket as thanks for the win...

He won't be able to eat the fruit. He's too busy eating Crow!

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

I don't know man. Of course, if MacDonald interviews like a superstar and Ben Johnson lays an egg it changes things. But there is a reason why all these defensive coordinators are being asked what their long-term plan at the OC position is in this interview cycle. GMs are worried what happens when they hit on an OC and that coach gets hired away. It does not seem like they are worried about the defensive coaches in the same way. Defensive performance has been fluctuating so much over the seasons that it is just incredibly hard to get a sustainable edge there. Of course some of that is due to QBs and their massive impact on one side of the ball (you just don't have that for defenses) but you can see how much good offensive minds can get out of even good to above average QBs (Goff, Tua, Purdy, Stafford, even Baker).

I think if you have the chance to get a great offensive mind like Ben Johson who is only 37 years, you have to take that chance. It's imo gives you the clearly better chance of being in contention without requiring a top-5 QB. I understand that leadership capabilities are a really important aspect of the HC position but all other things being equal, that leadership gap would still have to be huge for me to go for a defensive HC over an offensive guy.

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Lions key free agents this off-season: G Jonah Jackson, S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Jr., G Graham Glasgow, DE Charles Harris, DE Romeo Okwara, WR Josh Reynolds, WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, OT Dan Skipper, LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, CB Kindle Vildor, S Will Harris, OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai, CB Emmanuel Moseley, OT Matt Nelson, LS Jake McQuaide, QB Teddy Bridgewater, K Michael Badgley.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Is anyone concerned about the game Ben Johnson called? I know conventional wisdom has him as the top HC candidate out there but I can't shake an uneasy feeling about him not keeping his foot on the gas in the second half vs. the 49ers.

Maybe keeping the "foot on the gas" was not his call? He's not the head coach in Detroit. 

Besides which, the Lions offense scored 31 points on a pretty good (but possibly overrated) 49ers defense. It could've of been more had the head coach of the Lions did things right. 

You couldn't ask more of Johnson and the Lions offense. 

It was a second half defensive collapse and head scratching decisions by their head coach that did Detroit in.

If Johnson is Washington's choice, I'll be happy with it. :D

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 2