Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You would also want to be at least someone prepared for potential questions teams might throw at you. Not every team will be fully understanding of his current priorities. 

“I appreciate the question and would welcome the opportunity to discuss it on a broader level at a later date.  I’m currently focused on one thing, getting the Detroit Lions prepared for their next game.”

Admittedly may be a naive take on my part but I would think at that point a team would get the memo, and appreciate it.  If not, the team probably isn’t a good fit anyway.  

and, since time is a finite commodity, you’ve saved yourself some by finding out which team doesn’t have an understanding of that mindset in advance

Edited by stoshuaj

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yes, that’s true. But if you’re doing 5+ interviews like that, it adds up, and time is a finite commodity. 

You would also want to be at least someone prepared for potential questions teams might throw at you. Not every team will be fully understanding of his current priorities. 

If a team does not understand that this is a huge moment for Detroit then Im not sure If Im the candidate I would want to go there anyway, I dont think it would reflect well on them at all.

Yeah, I get all of the above. I would imagine it’s tough though. Candidates in the playoffs have to balance this life-changing, potentially legacy defining, and generational wealth-creating move against the current goal of winning a playoff game and all the emotion, loyalty and commitment that comes with it. 

From a team’s perspective, this is obviously an ultra-competitive league. The more time you spend without knowing who your HC and staff are and getting to work on aligning your team vision collectively, the further behind the eight ball you are vs your competitors, which could cause you to go with a different candidate all else being equal. 

I can see both sides, but definitely lean towards interviews of more of a “meet and greet” nature while a candidate is focused on winning a Suoer Bowl. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is another, less obvious, reason to hire an HC who doubles as a coordinator IMO. If you do experience success and make a dep post season run, your coordinators are not able to focus 100% of their time and energy on game planning during the week as they also have to prep for (and take) interviews. 

It probably has less of an impact than this tweet suggests, but it still matters. 

Does Harris's 80 hour statement on coach and 80 hour on GM not hold for coach and coordinator? Aren't they both full time jobs? Won't he tax himself out in doing one and not do the other? In being the coordinator he will never get to know the other side of the field, for example. 

23 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Does Harris's 80 hour statement on coach and 80 hour on GM not hold for coach and coordinator? Aren't they both full time jobs? Won't he tax himself out in doing one and not do the other? In being the coordinator he will never get to know the other side of the field, for example. 

This is why you typically hire an OC or DC that is more of an assistant OC/DC - i.e., they have the title but don’t call plays. See K. Shanahan, Reid, McDaniel, LaFluer, etc.

You hire an OC to help design the offense and weekly gameplans but come gameday you call the plays. 

Having an offensive minded HC that is an adept play caller is a tremendous competitve advantage. If we have a shot at one that we can pair with a talented young QB in year ONE of our rebuild? That’s the home run swing we gotta take.

Highly doubt it. And nobody in that org would leak it. More importantly, he wouldn’t distract anyone in the org right now by quietly discussing it…especially if this is his last bite at the playoff apple. 

But if you keep publishing that “rumor”, one offseason it’ll come true.

• Like 3

Listened to Keim's podcast. The gist of it.

He mentioned the three top contenders from the standpoint of buzz among the interviewees are:  Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris.  He didn't say that's what he's hearing from the ownership group but simple when asking around the league those names have popped more.

With Ben Johnson and Raheem it was the usual stuff that we know.

He spent some time on Dan Quinn.  Doubled down that they aren't going to live and die by Dallas' last game.  McVay's last two games as an offensive coach wasn't hot, etc.  But Keim heard Quinn is big time leader of men type, motivator, known for having a clear vision.  I then listened to Logan Paulsen's podcast who gushed about Quinn.  He was a player for his team in Atlanta.  Talked about how he set a great culture, players liked playing for him, etc. 

Keim doubled down that he might have an idea of who is hot in the lead, etc AFTER the interviews.  No clear front runner now.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McVay's last two games as an offensive coach wasn't hot, etc.  

I really dislike this point from Keim.  McVay wasn't coaching an offense with multiple All-Pros in a high-stakes playoff game.

Not to say people should be reactionary and not look at the full picture, but it's not a good comparison IMO.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Keim's podcast. The gist of it.

He mentioned the three top contenders from the standpoint of buzz among the interviewees are:  Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris.  He didn't say that's what he's hearing from the ownership group but simple when asking around the league those names have popped more.

With Ben Johnson and Raheem it was the usual stuff that we know.

He spent some time on Dan Quinn.  Doubled down that they aren't going to live and die by Dallas' last game.  McVay's last two games as an offensive coach wasn't hot, etc.  But Keim heard Quinn is big time leader of men type, motivator, known for having a clear vision.  I then listened to Logan Paulsen's podcast who gushed about Quinn.  He was a player for his team in Atlanta.  Talked about how he set a great culture, players liked playing for him, etc. 

Keim doubled down that he might have an idea of who is hot in the lead, etc AFTER the interviews.  No clear front runner now.

This is in reference to what Keim said "bolded", not you @Skinsinparadise.  You know me by now and how I respond back to your posts.  If Quinn is such a leader of men, why did they get their butts handed to them in the game that counts most AT home in the playoffs.  Quinn should have had these guys rolling over GB.  No excuses as I think Quinn was thinking about his future as a possible HC rather than putting 100% effort into the game and his players during the game.  I don't want that type of HC on our team.  No way.  

5 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Hmmmmmm.  Hopefully, we are still interviewing Ben Johnson as scheduled. 

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I really dislike this point from Keim.  McVay wasn't coaching an offense with multiple All-Pros in a high-stakes playoff game.

Keim wasn't going hard with his own take about how people should perceive things about Quinn.  He was talking about league perception.  That is, they aren't living and dying with one game.

Plenty are high on Quinn as a defensive cordinator.  Dallas' defense improved under him.  But I don't get the vibe its the operative point anyway. 

I get the vibe that there is big difference with what most here want in a coach, play calling and what Peters-ownership-Myers seems to be looking for which is leadership. 

Quinn is far from my top guy.  But none of the people they are interviewing are dudes I dislike.  I've heard enough noise around Quinn to this team that I gather he's a serous candidate.  If so I'll trust Myers, Peters etc. 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/jay-glazer-cowboys-dc-dan-quinn-still-top-candidate-for-head-coach-jobs-despite-loss

Jay Glazer: Cowboys DC Dan Quinn still 'top candidate' for head-coaching jobs despite loss

Updated Jan. 14, 2024 9:51 p.m. ET

Dan Quinn has had a very productive past three seasons as Cowboys defensive coordinator after his 2020 firing as Falcons head coach, one that has reportedly put him back in contention for another chance at a head-coaching job.

But after the Packers humiliated Quinn's defense in their shocking 48-32 drubbing of the Cowboys in the first-ever playoff win for a No. 7 seed over a No. 2 seed in the NFL playoffs, the focus quickly shifted to whether Quinn's boss Mike McCarthy would keep his job as Cowboys head coach — and whether Quinn could even be seen as a worthy candidate to succeed him in that role.

But regardless of what happens to McCarthy in Dallas, Quinn will still be hotly pursued by teams with head-coaching vacancies, according to FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This is in reference to what Keim said "bolded", not you @Skinsinparadise.  You know me by now and how I respond back to your posts.  If Quinn is such a leader of men, why did they get their butts handed to them in the game that counts most AT home in the playoffs.  Quinn should have had these guys rolling over GB.  No excuses as I think Quinn was thinking about his future as a possible HC rather than putting 100% effort into the game and his players during the game.  I don't want that type of HC on our team.  No way.  

Hmmmmmm.  Hopefully, we are still interviewing Ben Johnson as scheduled. 

Quinn is not high on my list.  But I am with the thought that one game doesn't paint a career. 

It's cool of course to feel otherwise.  But it sounds like at a minimum you are likely at odds with Peters and some others in the league on the concept.  There was a national reporter forgotting whom but I posted it here at the time that they heard Quinn is hot on this team's list.  If Keim spending some time on it, I suspect the dude has a shot.   He only got into Johnson, Raheem and Quinn in his podcast today.

I forgot the other thing Keim said is he's hearing Quinn will very likely be a head coach somewhere this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Leader of men thing is starting to wear thinner for me. Dan Quinn is a leader of men. Great. But we also signed a leader of men coach before, big military family type stuff, and his players would run through a wall for him.

Turned out "leader of men" is a subjective title. I'm sure the GM and the advisory crew is in on every coaching option, but the salivating at "leader of men" title seems excessive for how little it can mean.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Leader of men thing is starting to wear thinner for me. Dan Quinn is a leader of men. Great. But we also signed a leader of men coach before, big military family type stuff, and his players would run through a wall for him.

Turned out "leader of men" is a subjective title. I'm sure the GM and the advisory crew is in on every coaching option, but the salivating at "leader of men" title seems excessive for how little it can mean.

I think Ron warped the term with some.  He can talk all day long about leadership and culture but it basically was summed up in a reality was he was a nice guy and liked to draft players who were nice guys.  Not a leader in the sense of building a culture at all.   @Conn explains it well.  In short, Ron was about excuses, nepotisim, complacency and throwing his players under the bus.  It wasn't a case of a leader who failed.  But a dude who wasn't a leader.   

We used to goof on the X's and O's types with questionable leadership skills after seeing Norv among other good X's and O's coordinators flame out as HCs.

Marty was a leader.

Gibbs when he came back wasn't a good X's and O's guy or even game manager but was a good leader.   

Jay wasn't a leader

In general, though some here may not like it but its clearly their top trait-desire in these interviews.  Keim mentioned it.  Peters flat out said it.  If you read about Myers its the trait he seems to appreciate the most.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I have a feeling Slowick is going to stay with the Texans one more year. He has a QB with so much potential that I think he wants to develop him more and get another year of coaching under his belt. Heck, if Florio can offer opinions, so can I.

• Like 1