Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

17 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yall are missing the most important part. Adam Peter's is 44 and being referred to as a "young guy". He's a few months older than me. This is yUge for my self confidence as an aging male. 🤪

44 is young

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

He may actually get a good laugh out of it.

Peters: "Check this out, he has a long-snapper he wants with a 5th round grade. Rivera must drink heavily when he's watching college games."

Scot McCloughan did and he was great at it. Don’t go around disparaging functional drunks in your hypotheticals!

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

• The Washington Commanders’ hire of Adam Peters to lead their football operation is a smart, sensible pick to invest in a guy who’s been on the rise for a while.

The 44-year-old came up through the Patriots, Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers organizations, and got to Super Bowls in his time with all three teams. His last step in San Francisco was as John Lynch’s right-hand man over the previous seven seasons (the first four as VP of player personnel, the last three as assistant general manager).

If you want a feel for his work, the Niners’ roster is a pretty good place to start, with his strong reputation as an evaluator proven out in the players that San Francisco is putting on the field on a weekly basis. But beyond just that, Peters’s people skills have also stood out to those around him over the years, an indication he’d grow well into a GM job. “He can relate to people well. He connects,” said one former coworker of his from Denver. “So he should be able to create a good, positive culture.”

Titles are titles, and for right now, Peters’s title will be general manager. But Harris has communicated that the Commanders would be set up like his other teams, with a head of business and a head of that sport’s operations. Team president Jason Wright is the former, and now Peters is the latter, with both reporting to Harris.

Next up for Peters are a coaching search and a press conference Tuesday.

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald has emerged as a very hot candidate—and it’s rare, in where we are right now in the NFL, to say that about a defensive coach who’s never been a head coach before. But here we are, and Macdonald has requests from five teams (Falcons, Titans, Commanders, Panthers) that have open jobs.

There are two reasons. One, quite obviously, is that he’s coming from Baltimore. Having been developed as a coach through that program over two stints, he offers the chance to bring a version of that innovative, forward-thinking program with him. Two, the scheme he’s running (the same one Jesse Minter is running for John Harbaugh’s brother at Michigan) is one that NFL teams are going to be after as they fill out staffs over the next month.

IMO, I'm think the rapidness with which this was done probably tells us it's been cooking for a while.  You take other interviews but unless someone blows you away (see Sean McVay), you're pretty set on who you want.  I think there's too much smoke around Ben Johnson as "likely" to Washington rumors to believe it's someone else.  Maybe but I think this whole thing was organized, even to the extent of "Adam, who do you want to interview for headcoach?" long before 4 days ago.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Lions rushed the ball 500 times.  The 49ers 499.  Texans 439.  

I think the better way of looking at it, however, is how good the teams were at running the ball.  

The Ravens were the best, 4.9 yards per rush, which is absolutely astounding over 541 rushes.  That's a total of 2,661 yards rushing.  They passed the ball 494 times for 3,881 yards. 7.9 yards per attempt.  

The 49ers ran the ball 499 times for 4.6 yards per attempt, 2,311 rush yards.  They passed the ball 491 times for an incredible 4,577 yards, 9.3 yards per attempt.  They're basically even.  

I'd argue the Ravens are a run first team, but the 49ers are just balanced.  They can do both, they mesh both together, and they are really good. 

My argument is more I think Ben Johnson gets into a "run run run" rut.  Just like EB got into a pass-pass-pass rut.  There isn't really a statistic for that, they have more passing attempts than rushing attempts over the year.  But that's what I saw when I watched the games.  Especially early.  

We'll see.  I'd be happy with either.  

I do think the Johnson offense is easier to stop.  And I'll concede, that might be because Stoud might already be better than Goff.  

Interestingly the Ravens did that without their best RB by far, JK Dobbins, who went down week 1. Gibbs was injured a bit, Monty got dinged up too for the Lions. I am not a fan of running the ball heavily, I'm an efficiency guy, first and foremost. Hopefully dude gets it. You need to be able to run, but also understand the importance of efficiency. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, HigSkin said:

IMO, I'm think the rapidness with which this was done probably tells us it's been cooking for a while.  You take other interviews but unless someone blows you away (see Sean McVay), you're pretty set on who you want.  I think there's too much smoke around Ben Johnson as "likely" to Washington rumors to believe it's someone else.  Maybe but I think this whole thing was organized, even to the extent of "Adam, who do you want to interview for headcoach?" long before 4 days ago.

I agree, but something to consider, but completely speculative on my part, is Peters was the first to be rumored and first to be announced as invited for an interview. Was BJ first as well?

27 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yall are missing the most important part. Adam Peter's is 44 and being referred to as a "young guy". He's a few months older than me. This is yUge for my self confidence as an aging male. 🤪

He'll be a dinosaur in 7 years.

Sorry 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

I agree, but something to consider, but completely speculative on my part, is Peters was the first to be rumored and first to be announced as invited for an interview. Was BJ first as well?

The GM interview announcements starting in group tweets, then a single tweet on Peters like from Nicki J so not sure and don't know about the HC stuff.  It might have been Slowik.  Those things were all happening the same day.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

From the Pokes forum :

"When we are getting swept by them every year in the future we will look back on this as the turning point."

The Snyder free ride they, and the Eagles and Giants have been afforded since 1999 is ****ing over.  

We are going to be a legitimate NFL franchise again 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Wild that Belichick.

I've the interviews they've lined up.  My favs.

1.  Ben Johnson.  Like the scheme.  Like what I've read about his leadership skills.

2.  Slowik.  Like the scheme.  Got some concerns about his leadership skills.

3.  McDonald.  Like the scheme.  Not sure about leadership but less red flags on that front compared to Slowik.  Downside is he's defense 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Casserly was a real GM? Asking for friend here, but dude blew 3 top 5 picks badly (Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook), traded the sixth overall pick for a decent, but not great DL (Sean Gilbert) that didn't want to play here and somehow picked a guy so bad in the first round he literally never played a game in Washington or barely anywhere (Andre Johnson). That's a draft record that would make Vinny Cerrato blush. Somebody rode Bobby Beathard's coattails hard. I can at least give him credit for taking advantage of Mike Ditka's extreme stupidity and ultimately landing Champ Bailey before being pushed out. Otherwise, his best first round pick was...Tom Carter?

Redskins might have 2 less rings if it had not been for Casserly. Desmond Howard was pure Joe Gibbs Pick 2 no.1's traded up after SB win. Do not know about the other 2. It's Casserly's trades and player list's. that made him. Right side of D-line traded 2 second rd. picks to sure it up, traded for LT Lashay. Player list per B.B.  strike season and SB was his. But this is our new GM's tread who also might have traded up for QB bust, seems like they all have. 

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I would also say look at WHEN they are rushing. Good teams tend to get ahead in games - and run the ball more frequently later in games as they run a 4 minute offense to kill clock. Bad teams are behind and have to throw more. Some just throw more period ...

So for many teams the number of rushing attempts might be correlated with wins - but not the cause of those wins.

As ever with stats context is important.

And this is why I dismiss stats such as "they are 7-0 when they rush 20 times in a game".  Such a stupid stat trotted out by stupid people.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RVAskins said:

*Rant on* Right JP Finlay. You also said the GM announcement would come next Wednesday. This shows you among others don't have any real knowledge. You're just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. *Rant off* Carry on everyone.

The announcement may very well come next Wednesday. There’s been no team announcement, it’s just been leaked through Schefter and other insiders. The team will eventually announce it officially. Maybe after the HC is also hired, maybe not. Probably depends how deep into the playoffs the Lions make it. 

• Like 1

Been away from the board for a little bit.  Has there been any word about Peters' first press conference as officially this team's new GM?  Here's hoping it's Monday or Tuesday at the latest

Edited by NoVaSkins21

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Talking to a buddy of mine who's a 49ers fan, he's a bit annoyed that Peters is gone but also realized that they couldn't keep him forever.  He broke down the 49ers as Peters doing the scouting, Lynch finds the free agents and Marathe does the contract negotiations/cap wizardy.

He also said that he recently learned that the first draft afte ra team hires a new GM isn't typically that GM's draft board.  Feels that Peters' first complete draft for us will be next year.

That can be true sometimes, but Peters is himself a personnel guy, he’s already been grading and boarding these guys. It’s early in the process so it’s not like he had a finished big board. And he’ll be operating with reports from our current scouts, sure. But he’s already been on the job all season. It won’t be fully his show until he fills out the scouting department with his own hires, and building a big board is a collaborative process, but ultimately you’re trusting in the eyes of the stud evaluator you just hired. And he’ll be making the picks. 

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Wow, he's three years older than me! So if he is a young guy then I am super young! Hot diggity dawg!!!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1