Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

58 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I come back to this post as it has connections with Ian Cunningham and DC of the Raven's MacDonald and as a coach, his working with the analytical side of football etc.  Shen has been with the team for a good while now and we know about his analytical side along with him know and working with both Cunningham and MacDonald in Baltimore.  Just playing this out but:

GM:  Ian Cunningham

HC:  Mike MacDonald

OC:  Who best fits and with connections with Shen/Cunningham/MacDonald or MacDonald on the analytical side?

Under that setup you’re probably looking at hiring and elevating someone’s QB coach or passing game coordinator—or hiring a retread who’s been recently fired . It’s just about my least favorite scenario.  

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted on another post that coaching wise, Shen has worked with both OC Ben Johnson in Miami and DC MacDonald in Baltimore.  Peters as GM and Johnson together would be sweet but I also would like Cunningham whom Shen worked with in Baltimore and MacDonald too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I posted on another post that coaching wise, Shen has worked with both OC Ben Johnson in Miami and DC MacDonald in Baltimore.  Peters as GM and Johnson together would be sweet but I also would like Cunningham whom Shen worked with in Baltimore and MacDonald too. 

I would prefer an offensive-minded HC rather than another former DC.

17 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I would prefer an offensive-minded HC rather than another former DC.

I understand but if MacDonald is hired and Shen knows MacDonald and he is a leader of men.  He is known for his leadership. This article will make you start to really like Mike MacDonald a lot. If hired as HC, I trust him to find an OC that has his leadership and heart.  

Ravens Hire Mike Macdonald As New Defensive Coordinator - CBS Baltimore (cbsnews.com)

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

that's a YouTube video of Bobby Slowik. I like him. Not saying he's a firey guy or a "leader of men" type.  But he's a Shanny disciple so I'm inclined to think he's smart. And from this interview he's saying a lot of the things I want to hear. 

I would love to see us install an offense based on the Shanahan model here.

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I understand but if MacDonald is hired and Shen knows MacDonald and he is a leader of men.  He is known for his leadership. This article will make you start to really like Mike MacDonald a lot. If hired as HC, I trust him to find an OC that has his leadership and heart.  

Ravens Hire Mike Macdonald As New Defensive Coordinator - CBS Baltimore (cbsnews.com)

And then the moment you have any offensive success you have to start over because the OC he found gets hired away. No thanks. I want to build that QB/playcaller connection that everyone dreams of, personally. 

• Like 2

Sheehan and Lovero were bantering back and forth about this theory of Harris once being involved with Steelers and how Tomlin has not been extended with only 1 year left on his deal.

Their bit was Colbert who's out there and Tomlin (on a trade)

Wonder how the fans would react to that?  LOL 

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Sheehan and Lovero were bantering back and forth about this theory of Harris once being involved with Steelers and how Tomlin has not been extended with only 1 year left on his deal.

Their bit was Colbert who's out there and Tomlin (on a trade)

Wonder how the fans would react to that?  LOL 

I’d love it.  These guys know what they’re doing. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

There is a connection with Harris and Colbert as Harris was a minority owner with the Steelers before purchasing the Commanders.  Asst. GM of Steelers, Andy Wiedl is a Colbert supporter and believer and learned under him.  They are more old school.  I think that Harris may lean more so on Shen and the analytical aspects of the game. 

18 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Another thing, I think Tomlin is burnt out. It would be better if we had a fresh young GM and HC.  

I honestly think we can flat out not look at defensive minded HCs. Our last was a defensive minded guy and it flat didn't work. I don't think D forward HCs are a thing of the past, but I think we need to put a focus on the O a bit with a young bright O mind this time around. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Tomlin isn't leaving Pittsburgh and the Steelers aren't trading him. Lets stop that non sense.

Just now, KDawg said:

I honestly think we can flat out not look at defensive minded HCs. Our last was a defensive minded guy and it flat didn't work. I don't think D forward HCs are a thing of the past, but I think we need to put a focus on the O a bit with a young bright O mind this time around. 

Yeah I just looked at all the current playoff teams and contenders(so teams tied or within 1 game of a playoff spot, but not counting teams that are currently below .500).

20 teams. 15 have a coach from an offensive background.

The non offensive were: Tomlin, Carroll, Harbaugh, Ryans, and McDermott, and only Harbaugh's team of those four is considered a true blue championship contender(ironically he doesn't even have a defensive background, he was a Special Teams coordinator but he has experience coaching positions on both sides of the ball, kind of a weird hybrid which I guess is why he's so good).

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I just looked at all the current playoff teams and contenders(so teams tied or within 1 game of a playoff spot, but not counting teams that are currently below .500).

20 teams. 15 have a coach from an offensive background.

The non offensive were: Tomlin, Carroll, Harbaugh, Ryans, and McDermott, and only Harbaugh's team of those four is considered a true blue championship contender(ironically he doesn't even have a defensive background, he was a Special Teams coordinator but he has experience coaching positions on both sides of the ball, kind of a weird hybrid which I guess is why he's so good).

Yes, the key is to have a young offensive coach to succeed in today's league.  DeMeco Ryans is a very smart coach, who hired the right offensive coordinator to teach and mentor CJ Stroud.  I think he's the exception to the rule as far as hiring coaches in today's league.  You don't want to end up like the Bears, who completely whiffed on their HC hire when they nabbed Eberflus.  That was a TERRIBLE HC hire for Justin Fields.  I'm all in on trying to hire Ben Johnson or the Texans OC in the offseason.  I don't want a defensive minded coach, to pair with a young QB (whether that's Howell or possibly a QB we draft like Maye or Daniels).  We need to move into the current century to keep up with the other contending teams in the league.

Edited by samy316

12 hours ago, method man said:

Slowik is going to check a lot of boxes

- Calling plays successfully as an OC

- Analytics background - worked at PFF for a few seasons

- Experience on defensive side of the ball

- Connection to Adam Peters

- Network of quality assistants to bring with him

The problem with Slowik is his youth. I'm trying to look up his youth and if I can find it I will update this post but he only has a years experience calling plays. And not like EB calling plays where he was the OC but not calling plays, he was the OC for one year. Before that he was the passing game coordinator for like 6 years though and had a somewhat long journey to being a coach though that may make him a bit older. 

Yeah, i just looked it up, he's like 36. I guess that works in this new era of head coaches but I don't know if we're ready for that. 

16 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The problem with Slowik is his youth. I'm trying to look up his youth and if I can find it I will update this post but he only has a years experience calling plays. And not like EB calling plays where he was the OC but not calling plays, he was the OC for one year. Before that he was the passing game coordinator for like 6 years though and had a somewhat long journey to being a coach though that may make him a bit older. 

Yeah, i just looked it up, he's like 36. I guess that works in this new era of head coaches but I don't know if we're ready for that. 

I don't think age really matters anymore for coaching.  McVay took the Rams job in his mid-30's.  Zac Taylor, Matt LaFluer, & Kyle Shanahan were all in their 30's when they were hired to their respective positions.  I think you need someone younger to connect to the players, and who might have fresh new takes on how to succeed as a football team.  As long as we aren't hiring anyone over 55 or 60, who is a rah-rah old school goober like Rivera, it's fine.  All I ask is that the new coach knows what he's doing on offense, and that he will be open to suggestions from the scouting team and the analytics team.

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

We're gonna be building this thing back up from scratch. I'm fine committing to a young guy and letting him grow into the position. Its what the 9ers did with Shanahan.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 1

But Kyl

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're gonna be building this thing back up from scratch. I'm fine committing to a young guy and letting him grow into the position. Its what the 9ers did with Shanahan.

But Kyle went 6-10 and 4-12 his first 2 years. We may be different from that if we have a QB in Howell but to many that's still an open question. JLC says that many GMs want to come here because they see that Howell is a nice young QB to build around. But that's hope and what can you build on hope? Howell may get hurt or he may not perform as well as expected or he may just be a Minshew or a backup. 

McVay had a better start to his career with Goff as his starter even if he wasn't deemed as a great QB. Same with Kevin O'Connel.

But these later guys had QBs. If you think Sam is a QB then I'm more comfy going with Bobby, but if not then I wonder if the system will eat him alive.

Another thing i wonder about is the Philly tree. Not the Andy Reid tree. But the new Philly tree - Sirianni. Gannon and Stichen got hired as coaches this year. Gannon is 3-10 right now, but its early and they just got Murray back. Steichen on the other hand is looking really good in Indy. He had the rookie Richardson looking good then he got hurt. Minshew took over and they haven't lost a beat. Now they have a chance to win the division. 

So a side question to that Jim Bob Cooter is the OC in Indy, maybe we give him a look. I know absolutely nothing about him though other than he's 39.