Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, peanut0862 said:

Seems like four years ago we couldn't get anyone to even interview for the job and now we don't even want BB

Uh, we didn’t interview anyone but Ron. Ron was hired on 1/1/20 before that offseason coaching cycle began.

Dan tended to lock on one candidate.  When Dan actually did an extensive search after Spurrier quit, he was lock on Gibbs. Which he was able to convince to come out of retirement.

Belichick's record in 180 games as an NFL head coach without Brady as his starting quarterback is 82-98. He's very much an average coach. We don't need another average coach.

On top of that, of the 10 men who worked as assistants under Belichick and later landed full-time head coaching jobs in the NFL, only two have a career record above .500: Al Groh (who went 9-7 in his one season with the New York Jets in 2000) and Bill O’Brien (who went 52-48 before the Houston Texans fired him in 2020).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Uh, we didn’t interview anyone but Ron. Ron was hired on 1/1/20 before that offseason coaching cycle began.

I remember this day well....my extended family was sitting down to celebrate our Thanksgiving dinner when the presser was held. 

• Haha 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I remember this day well....my extended family was sitting down to celebrate our Thanksgiving dinner when the presser was held. 

This might be the best post you’ve ever made on the board.  :P 

Kudos.  That was really good and funny.  I literally laughed out loud and my wife asked me why. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Everyone on Gruden's staff in 2013 were capable head coaches, but due to previous ownership, they all wanted out.  It's up to the Harris group to find candidates like that who are not named Belichick

2013 was Shanahan.  Dan fired all of them and Bruce brought in dopey and kept Haz.  

We went from competence to incompetence overnight.  

I was thinking about starting a thread on Eric Bienemy, and whether this was yet another bad move in hiring him.

Now, before some of you start ripping my head off, just stop and think about this.

EB came from KC, a team that has been successful over the last 4-5 years. They also had a QB in Mahomes, who is whats considered an upper echelon player. Along

with him they had high quality players, like Kelce, Tyreek hill, and a few other pretty good players, which made EB's job easy. But it wasn't EB's play selections or formations that made them successful, it was the quality of the players and their abilities to extend plays.

Overall EB's career is rather lackluster, but was an upgrade over the prior. He was the RB coach with Minny and a few colleges before landing the OC job in KC.

This season there have been a number of questionable play calls that left fans scratching their heads, and whether it was Rivera's final say-so or not does hold water to an extent. If EB wasn't trusted by RR on play calling or if RR gave him the keys to the offense, in coaching, the OC had the off-season and the games thus far to evaluate players and plays, but it just doesn't add up.

The Commanders were competitive against the Eagles { both games } in high scoring games, but then you look at games like the Giants { swept us } the Bears { humiliated us } the Seahawks { heart-broke us }  and what stings more than anything is this offense plays up or down according to the opponent; nothing is steady. 

I sure as hell hope Ron Rivera and Jack Del Taco and all of their relatives working for the team are sent packing the minute game 17 is over with, if not sooner; they both deserve the humiliation, and as of now i'm not on board with Bienemy; he happened to be in the right place at the right time in KC when they got their all-star players, who BTW are still looking formidable without him as OC. 

My fear is Harris and co. sit on their hands come end of the season when a couple quality coaches/assistants are looking to upgrade, and they get snapped up because Harris  is unsure on what to do. Right now i'd be happy with both RR and Del Taco both being let go today and just promote from within for the remainer of the season. Some may say it sends the wrong message but I say it sends the right one; accountability, because us fans deserve much better than what we've been given the last 25+ years...

• Like 1

We’re going to be on the same hiring cycle as everyone else with an opening—first GM, then HC. The best HC candidates are gonna be in the playoffs anyways, there will be plenty of time to interview everyone we’re interested in after hiring a GM. I expect they already have a shortlist. Don’t see how anyone would be afraid we’ll be sitting on our hands while other teams move faster, it’s not like this is some unprecedented situation. Teams do it every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Conn said:

We’re going to be on the same hiring cycle as everyone else with an opening—first GM, then HC. The best HC candidates are gonna be in the playoffs anyways, there will be plenty of time to interview everyone we’re interested in after hiring a GM. I expect they already have a shortlist. Don’t see how anyone would be afraid we’ll be sitting on our hands while other teams move faster, it’s not like this is some unprecedented situation. Teams do it every year. 

The nfl changed when you can start interviewing coaches on other teams in person. You can do video interviews still, I think.

Actually, we will be a little behind if the gm search takes too long.  Though Harris and co. may do initial interview until the gm is hired,

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2013 was Shanahan.  Dan fired all of them and Bruce brought in dopey and kept Haz.  

We went from competence to incompetence overnight.  

well, that's because our offense wasn't that great under Shanahan.  Not many teams fire their head coach who's specialty is offense and promote his offensive minded assistants. You only get your boss' job if he's good and leaves voluntarily

1 hour ago, Conn said:

But it would still be better to start the GM search earlier, and there is no reason not to. Announce you are moving on with like 2 weeks left in the season, start reaching out for interviews. Get that locked pwn before the HC interview season kicks into high gear around the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MrJL said:

well, that's because our offense wasn't that great under Shanahan.  Not many teams fire their head coach who's specialty is offense and promote his offensive minded assistants. You only get your boss' job if he's good and leaves voluntarily

They built a revolutionary offense for Griffin. 

17 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

But it would still be better to start the GM search earlier, and there is no reason not to. Announce you are moving on with like 2 weeks left in the season, start reaching out for interviews. Get that locked pwn before the HC interview season kicks into high gear around the NFL.

I would be fine with that, I just don’t think you can actually interview anyone until the regular season is over. And now there are more restrictions on interviews with playoff team personnel. I’m sure they’ll back channel and line up their interviews ahead of time, though. They’ll have a shortlist 

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

do you have to announce the team is searching for a gm? Wouldnt it be logical to think there is already a search and interview process underway?. Mabye theyve already got their guy even

I understand the rules against poaching coaches but does front office staff have similar rules?

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I would be fine with that, I just don’t think you can actually interview anyone until the regular season is over. And now there are more restrictions on interviews with playoff team personnel. I’m sure they’ll back channel and line up their interviews ahead of time, though. They’ll have a shortlist 

You're talking about restrictions on coaching interviews, which aren't even going to be as impactful as it sounds. 

But, again, hiring a GM early makes it much more likely you are going to get in on a chance to hire a hot Coach candidate. 

Most organizations would be fine to let their people interview for a GM opening (and I'm not even sure there are rules that would allow them to block it). It's not like losing your assistant GM before  the playoffs is going to hamper a Super Bowl run. 

5 minutes ago, dunfer said:

do you have to announce the team is searching for a gm? Wouldnt it be logical to think there is already a search and interview process underway?. Mabye theyve already got their guy even

I understand the rules against poaching coaches but does front office staff have similar rules?

I don't know what the exact rules are for interviewing front office candidates. But it would be beyond classless to start interviewing people while you still have people holding those positions, and it would likely hurt your chances to hire good people if ervyone saw that that is how you were treating your people/

And my guess would be, no matter the other rulee, you certainly could block a team from interviewing people for an opening that doesn't technically exist yet. 

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You're talking about restrictions on coaching interviews, which aren't even going to be as impactful as it sounds. 

But, again, hiring a GM early makes it much more likely you are going to get in on a chance to hire a hot Coach candidate. 

Most organizations would be fine to let their people interview for a GM opening (and I'm not even sure there are rules that would allow them to block it). It's not like losing your assistant GM before  the playoffs is going to hamper a Super Bowl run. 

I have never ever seen a working GM candidate (whether they’re a Director of Player Personnel, an Assistant GM, a VP of scouting, or whatever) interview and take a job with another franchise before the postseason. Can you name an instance of that happening? There has to be a reason (rules) why teams aren’t doing that, right? Those guys are scouting college prospects for their NFL teams, the pro personnel are scouting other NFL teams’ players, etc. They’re busy with their current work before the hiring window as well. I have to think there’s a reason teams who fire their FO’s and HC’s early never make in-season FO hires. News of interviews never leak. 

The Raiders fired their GM and HC weeks ago. Why aren’t they openly chasing GM candidates, holding interviews, getting a jump on the process? I have to assume it’s because you can’t. Right? 

Otherwise I’d be 100% onboard with cleaning house right now and getting that GM in. The entire reason I’m not is because I’m operating under the assumption that you cannot do that, same as with HC candidates. (unless your guy is currently not employed by the NFL—which I would hope is not the case for our shortlisted GM candidates).

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I was thinking about starting a thread on Eric Bienemy, and whether this was yet another bad move in hiring him.

Now, before some of you start ripping my head off, just stop and think about this.

EB came from KC, a team that has been successful over the last 4-5 years. They also had a QB in Mahomes, who is whats considered an upper echelon player. Along

with him they had high quality players, like Kelce, Tyreek hill, and a few other pretty good players, which made EB's job easy. But it wasn't EB's play selections or formations that made them successful, it was the quality of the players and their abilities to extend plays.

Overall EB's career is rather lackluster, but was an upgrade over the prior. He was the RB coach with Minny and a few colleges before landing the OC job in KC.

This season there have been a number of questionable play calls that left fans scratching their heads, and whether it was Rivera's final say-so or not does hold water to an extent. If EB wasn't trusted by RR on play calling or if RR gave him the keys to the offense, in coaching, the OC had the off-season and the games thus far to evaluate players and plays, but it just doesn't add up.

The Commanders were competitive against the Eagles { both games } in high scoring games, but then you look at games like the Giants { swept us } the Bears { humiliated us } the Seahawks { heart-broke us }  and what stings more than anything is this offense plays up or down according to the opponent; nothing is steady. 

I sure as hell hope Ron Rivera and Jack Del Taco and all of their relatives working for the team are sent packing the minute game 17 is over with, if not sooner; they both deserve the humiliation, and as of now i'm not on board with Bienemy; he happened to be in the right place at the right time in KC when they got their all-star players, who BTW are still looking formidable without him as OC. 

My fear is Harris and co. sit on their hands come end of the season when a couple quality coaches/assistants are looking to upgrade, and they get snapped up because Harris  is unsure on what to do. Right now i'd be happy with both RR and Del Taco both being let go today and just promote from within for the remainer of the season. Some may say it sends the wrong message but I say it sends the right one; accountability, because us fans deserve much better than what we've been given the last 25+ years...

Harris owns two other sports franchises and has been through this twice.

He knows exactly what he needs to do.  He will be prepared.  Rest easy.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I have never ever seen a working GM candidate (whether they’re a Director of Player Personnel, an Assistant GM, a VP of scouting, or whatever) interview and take a job with another franchise before the postseason. Can you name an instance of that happening? There has to be a reason (rules) why teams aren’t doing that, right? Those guys are scouting college prospects for their NFL teams, the pro personnel are scouting other NFL teams’ players, etc. They’re busy with their current work before the hiring window as well. I have to think there’s a reason teams who fire their FO’s and HC’s early never make in-season FO hires. News of interviews never leak. 

The Raiders fired their GM and HC weeks ago. Why aren’t they openly chasing GM candidates, holding interviews, getting a jump on the process? I have to assume it’s because you can’t. Right? 

Otherwise I’d be 100% onboard with cleaning house right now and getting that GM in. The entire reason I’m not is because I’m operating under the assumption that you cannot do that, same as with HC candidates. (unless your guy is currently not employed by the NFL—which I would hope is not the case for our shortlisted GM candidates).

As I said, I don't know if you can. But most good organizations try to let their people move on when big promotions are available. So I have a hard time believing you couldn't at least start preliminary interview with people early. 

But my point again, is to start the process as early as possible. If you wait for black Monday to fire everybody and then start the process of hiring a GM, by the time you do you are going to be way behind the ball on hiring a coach.