Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 hour ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

It doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement for Justin does it?

Here's a crazy thought.....what if we traded back to #8 with Atlanta and picked up 3 #1 picks and this years 2nd. Then we trade a 2nd round pick to Chicago for Justin Fields. We then have Fields, #8 pick this year, two 2nds and two 3rds this year plus two 1sts in 2025 AND 2026. 

Before you shoot it down, know that Fields is loved by his teammates and is trending in the right direction as a QB. He turns 25 on March 5th and will enter his 4th year as starting QB. This would be a roll of the dice but less of one than drafting a QB (because you know Fields is not a bust) plus you still have 4 other 1st round picks in the next 2 years to possibly draft a QB if Fields doesn't work out. Plus, we could possibly obtain a franchise QB and STILL come out with multiple 1st round picks moving forward. This just doesn't happen. 

This is if the Bears are going to trade Fields. 

Just a thought.....risk vs reward.

• Like 4

A lot of talk about trading that top pick to acquire more picks because we have so many needs. But having the 2nd pick on day two is going to be coveted. Teams have all night and the next day thinking about a player they thought was gonna go in the middle of the first round. Carolina probably wants to hold that R2P1 because they don’t have their 1st rounder. So unless there is someone that Washington definitely wants with that R2P2 they could turn it into more picks and maybe a 2025 pick without dropping too much 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Here's a crazy thought.....what if we traded back to #8 with Atlanta and picked up 3 #1 picks and this years 2nd. Then we trade a 2nd round pick to Chicago for Justin Fields. We then have Fields, #8 pick this year, two 2nds and two 3rds this year plus two 1sts in 2025 AND 2026. 

Before you shoot it down, know that Fields is loved by his teammates and is trending in the right direction as a QB. He turns 25 on March 5th and will enter his 4th year as starting QB. This would be a roll of the dice but less of one than drafting a QB (because you know Fields is not a bust) plus you still have 4 other 1st round picks in the next 2 years to possibly draft a QB if Fields doesn't work out. Plus, we could possibly obtain a franchise QB and STILL come out with multiple 1st round picks moving forward. This just doesn't happen. 

Except we’re stuck with Fields who stinks 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Except we’re stuck with Fields who stinks 

No, you just wouldn't exercise his 5th year option. He's a 1 year or hopefully much longer QB who wouldn't cost you much and could be coached up. We would not be stuck with Fields in any scenario that I can think of.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If the Bears don’t think it’s worth keeping Fields, trading back for a boatload of picks, and stocking up on weapons around him… why should we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If the Bears don’t think it’s worth keeping Fields, trading back for a boatload of picks, and stocking up on weapons around him… why should we?

It all comes down to the confidence you have in the QB's at the top of the draft. If the Bears are enamored with Williams or Maye then Fields becomes expendable. I think they still like Fields but how much do they like him vs the QB's in the draft? 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

It all comes down to the confidence you have in the QB's at the top of the draft. If the Bears are enamored with Williams or Maye then Fields becomes expendable. I think they still like Fields but how much do they like him vs the QB's in the draft? 

My point is: the Bears know Fields better than anyone. If they don’t think he’s worth keeping over Caleb/Drake, then why would we?

Unless we grade them as 1) Caleb, 2) Fields, 3) Maye. I suppose that’s possible, but I have not been very impressed with Fields and I’d doubt it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Could that work.  Absolutely.   That said, if Maye hits, he worth more than the three guys you picked with a three extra first round pick most likely.   Fields is fine.   He is your top 20ish QB.  Super athletic, when throwing from a clean pocket can be really accurate, but I don't think its likely that his processing ever improves to the point where he is a top 10 QB.  He would be the best QB we have since at minimum Alex Smith in his first year or possibly Kirk Cousins. That is nothing to scoff at, especially as you can use this year's 8 pick, plus the two future first to bolster the team.  But again, if Maye hits, you way better off taking him because a franchise QB, especially when you get to enjoy their rookie contract is invaluable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Because we are smarterer

35 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

A lot of talk about trading that top pick to acquire more picks because we have so many needs. But having the 2nd pick on day two is going to be coveted. Teams have all night and the next day thinking about a player they thought was gonna go in the middle of the first round. Carolina probably wants to hold that R2P1 because they don’t have their 1st rounder. So unless there is someone that Washington definitely wants with that R2P2 they could turn it into more picks and maybe a 2025 pick without dropping too much 

We don't have the second pick on day two though.

We have the 4th pick on day two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We don't have the second pick on day two though.

We have the 4th pick on day two.

Just because the guy gets that wrong doesn't mean he isn't qualified to lay out the team's draft strategy. Don't be a nit-picker.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Just because the guy gets that wrong doesn't mean he isn't qualified to lay out the team's draft strategy. Don't be a nit-picker.

It wasn't my intent honestly, just that the post was all about the strategy of having the first and second picks in the second round being more valuable and we don't have the second pick and wanted to let them know that.

If It came of snarky it was unintentional.

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

But that would be a whole lot of ammo to trade up with in 25 or 26 and get that QB.....obviously that would probably never happen but it's fun to dream about.  

Or we could just get the QB now…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Or we could just get the QB now…

Totally agree, and admittedly I don't know enough to notice some of Mayes flaws, but through all my research it definitely sounds like he's QB 2 in this year's draft.  If Caleb goes 1 then no need to over think it, grab Maye and put those extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd to good use and get some talent around him.  That's why I hope we get a offensive minded HC since chances are good we get one of these QBs

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

No.  Fields is mediocre at best.

You draft qb at #2 or trade up to take Williams.

Fields won’t accomplish anything and will eventually be a backup at best.

Fields weapons and OL were mediocre at best. Closer to bordering on terrible. His OC wasn't much better.  Add in some injuries and viola Chicago fleeced the top pick.  Don't let that them landing that top pick effect grading Fields.  I think the jury is out on him but he has showed flashes and improvement. He destroyed us. Embarrassed JDR and our D ~as good as any other QBs we faced. If not better. The thursday night massacre would have been worse if Mooney didnt drop some deep wide open perfect throws.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

It wasn't my intent honestly, just that the post was all about the strategy of having the first and second picks in the second round being more valuable and we don't have the second pick and wanted to let them know that.

If It came of snarky it was unintentional.

Ahhhh. Okay. It rotates. Thank you. I didn’t take it the wrong way. You were informing me of something. No harm no foul, but it’s still a high value second round pick. But, I stand corrected in my understanding 

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the Bears press conference? Now granted this is from a Justin Fields fan account but I don't think it is guaranteed at all that if they don't stick with Fields, that they'll pick Williams. The combine and interviews are going to affect A LOT

• Like 1