Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

I for one felt like Chicago's play calling was terrible WRT Fields. I would think that would be in part why the OC got canned.  RB room got injured. Moore and nothing at WR...

Edited by RandyHolt

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

They will move away from Fields because after 3 years we know exactly who he is.  And what he is is an inconsistent quarterback who has amazing moments but you just can't count on him for 17 games plus a long playoff run.

The only problem with moving away from him is that between years 1-3 the O line play was horrendous. In some games he was under pressure a mind blowing 50% of the time even as a dual-threat QB. All three years they failed to address their O line issues. 

I would also argue that the talent around him especially at WR was poor until year 3 when they acquired DJ Moore.  All QB's need talent to succeed in the NFL; they also need good schemes and coaching that plays to their strengths.  Hopefully that is why they shook up their staff on Offense. 

Until a team cleans up its deficiencies, especially with regards to key pieces, like O line efficiency, you're just not going to get stellar, let alone consistently good QB play.  So, if they go off and draft Caleb Williams, or Maye, they better have their O line issues worked out and have some more talent for him to throw to.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Thank you very little. We see top picks flop every year yet those that said they ARE a top pick are never called crazy. Not only that, they should seek a career change far more often than they do.

Yet we sheep keep blindly following the experts who have a lower % of their picks hitting than Ron's win %.

It's the nature of QB prospects. No harder position in sports to evaluate accurately. It's far more demanding than any other position in sports and the bust and mediocrity and sub mediocrity rates of guys help illustrate this. 

None of that changes the fact that you still have to pull the trigger, and especially at the top of classes when there are strong options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

While I hesitate to post this... because any thought that isn't "DRAFT QB OMG!" tends to get criticized into oblivion...

I'm going to do it anyways:

I see the argument for a guy like Marvin Harrison, Jr.

Having a stand out, dominant receiver makes a big difference for any quarterback. They can make mediocre QBs look great. Receivers are an undersold aspect to making an entire offense tick.

I don't think THIS franchise should make that move. So no, I'm not saying to take Harrison instead of a QB. I'm just saying, I don't think it's all that crazy to advocate for a receiver.

I don't think talking about a trade down is crazy, either.

I think evaluating all possibilities is just plain old smart. And not just saying, "HA! NO!" when someone says it, but think through the positives of each move.

I've done that and I think QB is the move that makes the most sense for us, but I certainly won't be throwing shade at anyone who formulates a different thought. 

image.png.f49d4c7b4bd2f507bdb8a1e15343a78a.png

Just joshing ya KDawg ;) 

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

The only problem with moving away from him is that between years 1-3 the O line play was horrendous. In some games he was under pressure a mind blowing 50% of the time even as a dual-threat QB. All three years they failed to address their O line issues. 

👍🏻 totally agree….and if they move away from fields and draft another QB if they don’t address this OL issue that QB won’t succeed either 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Its makes perfect sense and it is the most important position, only, the best 2QBs in a class actually has yet to have been determined. The two best prospects preliminarily determined by the same people that failed to determine the best one just last year. And what else vaults the QBs up the full chart - a draft that is weak overall or specifically at other positions.

Ironically, its the most important position yet its taboo to draft 2 QB studs despite there being a high fail rate at the position.

I have no issue with taking a 2nd swing later. 

I think the ratings are also open to question much of the time. 

In '11 Cam was the obvious #1, and in '12 it was obviously Luck, but in '15 and '16 people disagreed about the placement of Mariota and Wentz. In '17 a whole ton of people didn't like Trubitzsky, in '18 no two people agreed, in '20 Tua was locked in there for like 2 years then got hurt and Burrow flew past him. '21 was a no doubt Lawerence but even last year there was disagreement. Some people felt Young was simply too small and not athletic enough for the bet on a guy that tiny and undynamic, Stroud had the horrid test score, and Richardson was more athlete than QB.

It's rarely locked in. Since this century the only LOCKED IN #1 overall QB's were really: '01 (Vick), '04 (Eli), '09 (Stafford), '11 (Cam), '12 (Luck), '19 (Kyler), '20 (eventually Burrow), '21 (Lawrence). I can't recall any other drafts where there was certainty and '20 was an exception as I previously mentioned, with Burrow coming out of nowhere for a once a century performance while Tua got hurt. Most of the time, there isn't clear consensus.

I'll also add, most of the time there is, they are right: Vick, Eli, Stafford, Cam, Luck, Kyler, Burrow and Lawrence were all the most talented QB's in their classes, and only Eli failed to reach close to that potential amongst them due to on field play (Vick partially failed due to off the field concerns). 

It's no exact science by any stretch, and the history with 2nd QB's selected in slot 2 is god awful, but there's no other better approach, period. It is what it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This forum makes me feel like a boomer more every day. 

I don’t get it. 

I feel like a failure. I apologize to you and @Rufus T Firefly

Hahaha. As we all know, jokes are best enjoyed when explained in detail!

The graph is a distribution of IQ. Average intellects cluster in the middle and then you have the morons on the left and the geniuses on the right. The joke is that both the morons and geniuses have the same point of view - in this case, "DRAFT QB OMG!" - whereas the midwits think they're smarter than they are and over-think the situation with some needlessly complicated or nuanced alternative.

I'm just pulling your leg about over-thinking what to do with the 2OA pick vs. the conventional wisdom of just selecting your favorite or second-favorite QB prospect and hoping he works out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I would also argue that the talent around him especially at WR was poor until year 3 when they acquired DJ Moore.  All QB's need talent to succeed in the NFL; they also need good schemes and coaching that plays to their strengths.  Hopefully that is why they shook up their staff on Offense. 

Until a team cleans up its deficiencies, especially with regards to key pieces, like O line efficiency, you're just not going to get stellar, let alone consistently good QB play.  So, if they go off and draft Caleb Williams, or Maye, they better have their O line issues worked out and have some more talent for him to throw to.  

Joe Burrow went to the worst team in the league with the worst OL and took then to the Super Bowl.  That's what a great QB can do to a franchise.  They still have their own high 1st as well as other picks to improve their OL and add weapons.

• Like 1

I’m confused how the bears can only draft a qb or fix the OL. Why can’t they do both with two first round picks? I get that people don’t want to think about the possibility of losing out on Williams, but if we were all bears fans right now we’d be calling for Williams (or maye).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Joe Burrow went to the worst team in the league with the worst OL and took then to the Super Bowl.  That's what a great QB can do to a franchise.  They still have their own high 1st as well as other picks to improve their OL and add weapons.

Very good points regarding what a very good QB can do. Burrow in compensation for the **** O line had some key offensive weapons. Not taking anything away from him, but you need help. 

If the Bears fixed or even upgraded their O line and got some more O weapons for whoever is under center, they would improve tremendously.  

41 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Very good points regarding what a very good QB can do. Burrow in compensation for the **** O line had some key offensive weapons. Not taking anything away from him, but you need help. 

If the Bears fixed or even upgraded their O line and got some more O weapons for whoever is under center, they would improve tremendously.  

A great QB can make his weapons better too.  Peyton Manning made something called Austin Collie a viable fantasy football starter. Other than a few years with Moss Brady's receivers were pedestrian. 

Bears have plenty of options to improve their OL and add a weapon (they already have a WR1).

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

A great QB can make his weapons better too.  Peyton Manning made something called Austin Collie a viable fantasy football starter. Other than a few years with Moss Brady's receivers were pedestrian. 

Bears have plenty of options to improve their OL and add a weapon (they already have a WR1).

Pl 

The weapons that Peyton Manning had during his time at Indianapolis alone were stellar. He had some really, really good receivers like Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Stokley and Pollard.   

The Bears should have fixed their issues 2 years ago.  And yes, they have a decent WR1 they added for 2023.   And Field's was super reliant on him this year. Over 1,000 yards, and 6 TD's in 12 games. 

Put me in the camp that believes we need to make a run at a franchise QB with this #2 pick. It would be great to somehow trade down and get 2 1st round picks, a top 10 pick to get Jayden Daniels, with the other to grab an OT, but that's highly unlikely to happen.

31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

They can very easily draft Odunze with their other 1st rounder and pair him up with DJ Moore, then draft OL in an OL-heavy draft class and put Caleb in a great situation.

• Like 1

The dilemma is that if you go MHJr or trade down, which QB do you take?

I had taken a liking to Penix, but the injury history coupled with how beat he looked the other night, it’s hard to hitch your wagon to this guy.

McCarthy, I just don’t see it.

Nix, meh.

As unconvinced I am by the top 3, the next 3 intrigue me none.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

They can very easily draft Odunze with their other 1st rounder and pair him up with DJ Moore, then draft OL in an OL-heavy draft class and put Caleb in a great situation.

This makes too much sense.